Start by marking “And We Sold the Rain: Contemporary Fiction from Central America” as Want to Read:
And We Sold the Rain: Contemporary Fiction from Central America

And We Sold the Rain: Contemporary Fiction from Central America

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  5 reviews
These twenty-plus short stories by leading Central American writers, by turns unsettling, absurd, tragic, exhilarating, and mystical, introduce us to the people behind the front-page horrors . . . A Torruban Indian loses a month's pay with a bad roll of the dice . . . The beautiful young Anita hunts beetles and cockroaches . . . To up its popularity rating, a government st ...more
Published March 12th 1996 by Seven Stories Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about And We Sold the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And We Sold the Rain

Chris
Meh. I was a Latin American Lit minor in school and have read a number of these authors before. With an exception of two stories, the selections were too short to get a good feel and felt poorly translated. That said, this is definitely a period piece. While one can get great writing that remembers the Central American war of the 80s and the Disappeared, this was writing from the front lines, so to speak.
Felipe
Less than half the stories are worth reading. The young writers are now better known, have the weakest stories from this 1988 book; the better stories happen to be by the older ones.

Unfortunately, this is probably the only English-language anthology of contemporary Central American writers available in the US.
John
Good stuff:

Confinement -Horacio Castellanos Moya

The Maestro Who Spent His Whole Life Composing a Piece for the Marimba - Mario Payeras

The Perfect Game - Sergio Ramirez

And We Sold the Rain - Carmen Naranjo

Mr. Taylor - Augusto Monterroso
b bb bbbb bbbbbbbb
Collection of contemporary short stories from Central America. Some good, some obnoxiously experimental, some boring.
Diane Ramirez
Solid collection of short pieces from Central America -- humor, horror, satire, romance, and lots of heartbreak.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Nicholas Prattico
Nicholas Prattico marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Richard Ferguson
Richard Ferguson is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Jac
Jac marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Jorge Evans
Jorge Evans marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Abby Kneitz
Abby Kneitz marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2013
Natasha Kaufman
Natasha Kaufman marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2013
Sus
Sus marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2012
maya
maya marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2011
Anna Leither
Anna Leither marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2011
Sue
Sue added it
Jul 26, 2011
The Fat Man from La Paz: Contemporary Fiction from Bolivia Play Date (Math Matters)