The Everything Homeschooling Book: All You Need to Create the Best Curriculum and Learning Environment for Your Child

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Homeschooling isnOCOt about teachingOCoitOCOs about learning together with your child. In this indispensible guide, author and homeschooler Sherri Linsenbach provides you with the encouragement, inspiration, and ideas you need to explore this option for your family. ItOCOs packed full of ideas to make the experience easy, affordable, and, most of all, fun. Even veteran hom...more
Unknown Binding, 304 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Adams Media Corporation (first published April 2003)

Emily
Includes TONS of websites for additional research and resources - greatly appreciated! She covers all the basic forms of homeschooling, but really seems to lean a little in favor of unschooling; it comes up far more frequently than the other forms. Covers topics like "homeschooling as a single parent" and "homeschooling and the two-career family" that, while not applicable to my circumstances, would be valuable for those groups. Also included a chapter on "burnout" for families who have been hom...more
Debbie Mcnulty
I recently checked this book out of the library. We are at the very beginning of our homeschool journey. This book is a great first stop. It gives a wonderful overview of homeschooling. It is full of links that I cannot wait to check out. From this book I have discovered many things I want to dig deeper into. I would suggest this for parents just getting their feet wet around homeschooling.
Tamara
It was a good overview with good guidelines and suggestions and resource lists. I found myself rolling my eyes at the cheerleading though. Homeschoolers are better at EVERYTHING! Yay! But going beyond the slightly over the top study citing "proving" how much more awesome homeschooled children are than traditionally schooled children, I was able to add to my idea list and my resource list.
Genny
Since I know we are doing at least preschool at home. While I may have a degree in Education, teaching at home is different than teaching in a school setting. I am working to create the best home-school environment I can and working to develop my own curriculum. A big task, but one that I am excited about.

I can not say there was anything earth shattering new or a any big revelations on homeschooling for me, but more of a confirmation of my own ideas and what I am envisioning. The one big plus I...more
Jessica
This was a very broad overview of how to approach homeschooling and what some of the current methods are. It has some good resources.
Kerri Simpson
It had lots of helpful information. It was a very short overview. But great tips and things to check out. It was very good.
Erin
this book has lots of great information, but it wasn't exactly what i was looking for...
Lynn
This book is a very good resource book for folks who are beginning to homeschool. I will refer to this book from time to time and have a number of pages flagged for future reference. I gave it 3 stars because I liked it, but could not give it more starts because from time to time it was difficult to tell what age group a suggested task or unit was appropriate for. If you are looking for a homeschooling resource book that you can quickly refer to from time to time. I would recommend this book.
It was quite informative in parts. It addresses many issues of homeschooling I've never seen addressed before. It has a good resource at the back of the book, a collection of all the websites mentioned throughout the whole book in one place. The reason it gets 3 stars instead of 4 is because it got very preachy and sanctimonious about unschooling many times throughout the book. If that's your homeschooling philosophy, then great, but the author pushes too hard.
Leah
There was some new information, but all in all, it wasn't a great book. I liked that it talked about creating a sort of mission statement. Decide what you want your children to get from homeschooling AND THEN decide what curricula will best accomplish your goals. A very good point. I also appreciated the advice to try to take things as they come, roll with the flow, all children are different. It's advice that I really need (daily, sometimes).
Elisabeth Hurley
Sep 29, 2011 Elisabeth Hurley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People considering any style of homeschooling
This is a great primer for those interested in homeschooling. I was really pleased to see a ton of information included on unschooling, which is the method of homeschooling I'm most drawn to. There are lots of links and books listed for getting more information about all sorts of homeschooling questions I didn't even consider. This was a library book, but it's such a great resource, I'll be buying a copy for our homeschool library.
Sasha
This was the first book I've ever read on homeschooling. I got the book because I wanted to understand and learn about it. In the last couple of years, I have heard of and come in contact with many homeschooling families and I rapidly realized I knew next to nothing about this alternative education practice. I now have a much better understanding of how homeschooling is done, and I must say it has a lot of appealing aspects.
April Franklin
Good suggestions, but seemed a little dismissive of people who want a more structured method, IMO.
Amy
I liked this book even more that the Idiot's Guide to Homeschooling. It is more up to date and reflects more of the options available through the internet for support, curriculum, etc. Reading this book made me excited to start homeschooling - but I don't even have kids yet. Ha! Hope they will come out with another edition when I do, I would definitely buy it.
Stacy
I think this book is great for people who want to homeschool and just don't know where to start. (like me) It goes through the basics of how to find homeschool groups, legal requirements, different homeschool methods, etc. It is very basic like a homeschooling for dummies, which is exactly what I needed ;)
Miranda
Excellent book for someone who is looking into or is starting to homeschool. It gave lots of insight, ideas, websites, references, and other books to look into. I actually got this book from the library, but I think I'm going to buy it to keep on hand because I think would go back to it and use it often.
Annamarie
Great source for information. The detailed list of resources in the back is a homeschooling dream. I read it for the overview of homeschool options and I found it to be very helpful. A good description and account of a typical homeschool day. Addressed all of the questions and concerns I had.
Catherine
Good overall introduction to homeschooling. Given its modest size, it's not really accurate to call it "The Everything...Book". The most helpful chapter to me was the one on Frugal Homeschooling; I especially appreciated learning about some new (to me, at least) internet resources.
Emma
This was an okay beginning book for learning about homeschooling. It helped me form questions that I need answers to but didn't really answer most questions. I am glad I read this first because I think I would have been frustrated with it if I had already read a lot about homeschooling.
Carole
Very helpful and has eased many of ours fears while we embark on our new adventure after having attending public school for 6 years now with 3 identified gifted and talented children. Thank you Sherri for all the links and I am also enjoying the Everything Homeschooling website.
Julie Robert
This book was good and just as informative as the First Year of Homeschooling, but many times it seems liked a promotional piece for a particular website. It also reiterated much of the exact same info as the last, so I wasn't as enthralled.
Cher
Useful resource. I love that in the end you find out the author not only homeschooled but was indeed an unschooler so the book is more useful than I was expecting (thought it would be mostly mainstream).
Melissa
I found this book very helpful and informative. Lots of great links.
I felt it covered almost every aspect of homeschooling.

I rated it as a 4 star because of the promotion of animal use.
Jon
Definitely complete. A bit too much information for me though. If you want a thorough overview of home schooling this is a good book to get started.
Josephine
This book was helpful. I browsed it and only read the chapters that were applicable to me. It gave me some good websites as well as some confidence.
Richard
An excellent foundation on which to build a structure for home- or unschooling, and an excellent, well referenced resource.
Eva North
very informational. this is a really good book if you're just beginning to explore homeschooling as I am
Raychelle Muhammad
I am in my 6th year of homeschooling and I use this reference book over and over again! It is a must-have!
April
All around great book on homeschooling. Lots of ideas on how to homeschool and resources to use.
Janet
Love the idea of a mission statement, this will give meaning to what we are doing as a family.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Essential Homeschooling Everything You Need To Educate Your Child At Home The Everything Homeschooling Book: All you need to create the best curriculum and learning environment for your child (Everything®) The Everything Home-Based Business Book: Start and Run Your Own Money-Making Venture