Start by marking “Vengeance” as Want to Read:
Vengeance

Vengeance (The Tainted Realm #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  374 ratings  ·  80 reviews
In Cython’s underground slave camps, only the timid and obedient survive – and Tali is neither, for she has sworn to bring her mother’s killers to justice. In Cython, having magic means the death penalty, and Tali’s gift is swelling out of her control.

Her dramatic escape precipitates Cython's war on a weakened Hightspall and, when Tali is rescued by Rix, heir to Hightspall
Published April 3rd 2012 by Orbit (first published November 8th 2011)

Josh
It is with a large amount of sadness that I say that this is one of the most disappointing reads I have ever encountered. Irvine has for many years been an author I have held in high esteem, if not one of my favourites, for his Three Worlds saga. Apart from being the first book I ever bought, The View From the Mirror series had such a profound effect on me (I even did an independent study on it in high school) and so I was really looking forward to a new work by Irvine.

To put it bluntly, this bo
Reece Dow
Hello there, everyone. If your here to know about Ian Irvine's new book 'Vengeance' I can tell you, you've come to the right place. After hearing about the publishing of Vengeance I knew I had to get my hands on it, and my eyes within in.

So after just under three days of searching, I found it in my local town. I picked the book up, and begin reading in the middle of the isle. After the first sentence in chapter one, I was already interested. I'm not going to deny it, Vengeance was my first Ian
April
Tali is a slave, and Rix is a noble, but they share a secret that could break them both. Add to this a brewing war and magic that destroys as well as it creates, and you've got a mix that is both fascinating as a premise and difficult to execute successfully. Yet author Ian Irvine builds a stunning start to an epic fantasy that should become a dark jewel in the genre.

Tali is just a child when she witnesses the brutal murder of her mother. She lives in a state of constant terror -- terror of her
Ben Richardson
Mar 30, 2012 Ben Richardson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All fantasy fans
Recommended to Ben by: www.booktopia.com.au
I recieved my copy of Vengeance, book One in The Tainted Reaslm Trilogy by Ian Irvine from goodreads first reads givaways. Ian was nice enough to sign the book for me and I suspect that he knew that by signing the book he has ensured that the copy will have a permenant spot on my book shelf and will never be lent out or given away. Well played Mr Irvine. Well played. :)
Vengeance tells the story of tali, a slave girl who escapes her captors (The Cythonians) and sets about unraveling the secrets b
Beth
Tali, a young slave girl “Pale”, watches the brutal murder of her mother. Vowing to take revenge on the mask perpetrators so must endure being a slave until her powers come in and she can plan her escape.

Rix, is a heir of Hightspall’s family Lord and Lady Ricinus. Although he is a gifted young man his relationship with his parents is antagonistic and he needs a way out.

Tali and Rix have a chance meeting where the evil plot of vengeance is uncovered. They must join forces to help save themselves
Curtis Vidulich
A spectacular book, Ian Irvine will get a hold of you and drag you in. As a fantacy novel writer Ian is in with the best of them. I was left wanting more with each page. People say that the end of a novel should make it feel like the end… i disagree greatly! A truely good book, I feel, should leave you wanting to read the next book straight away and Ian doesn't disapoint on that.

The novel has some of the best tension building I have ever read. I was left wide awake late at night wanting to know
Sasha
This was my first Ian Irvine book. I had always seen his novels in book stories but never picked one up. Now I am kicking myself. Vengeance is AMAZING! and totally addictive! I read all 534 pages in one go. Probably wasn't such a good idea with exams to study for. Too late now.
This book had me screaming, yelling and even crying at times! I LOVE books that do that to me. :)
Seriously an awesomely awesome MUST read, but only if you have a lot of spare time. And don't do what I did and start reading
Amanda
My first review on Goodreads, but not my first Ian Irvine. Vengence is an incredible read with a great world created by Ian. The shorter chapters (for lack of a better word) are deceiving, you keep thinking just one more. I can only imagine how the characters are going to continue to grow and how we will learn more about them as the series continues. Plus I do love the geological references.
Iben
Vengeance is about a slave girl, Tali, who, when she was a child, watched two people kill her mother and who knows that when she comes of age she is next. Tali has a plan to escape to freedom and get justice for her mothers murder.
Tali is joined by a couple of people in her quest, most notably Rix and Tobry. They are both from noble families (though Tobry's has fallen and Rix's doesn't seem far behind). Rix is plagued by nigthmares and a mother who is doing everything to get the family back on i
Shaheen
I read this book last year, and having found it to be a wonderful example of gripping Epic Fantasy, this re-read allowed me to delve into the deeper nuances of the story and pick out all sorts of details I had missed on my first, heart stopping read. Vengeance is a thought-provoking book, and in the usual Irvine style, left me desperate for more!

As I have to expect in an Irvine book, world building is immaculate in this book: everything has a purpose, a role, and it’s all vividly realised throug
Elizabeth
"Ten years ago, two children witnessed a murder that still haunts them as adults... When a chance meeting brings [the two] together, the secrets of an entire kingdom are uncovered and a villain out of legend returns to throw the land into chaos. Tali and Rix must learn to trust each other and find a way to save the realm--and themselves."

As the first in a trilogy, let me be honest, the size of this book frightened the ever living daylights out of me, but once I got into the story, I really got i
Matt
I have read and loved all of Ian Irvine's 'A Tale of The Three Worlds' cycle novels, so I was interested to see what he would do with a brand new adult fantasy series in a new setting, with new characters. I was pleasantly surprised with the result. 'Vengeance' keeps all the best elements of the 'Three Worlds' cycle novels - the violence and horror, the painfully-difficult-to-cast magic, the realistic descriptions of geography, the big cliffhanger ending and most importantly, the central relatio ...more
Peter
I’ve been reading a lot of traditional fantasy novels at the moment, books I find so dull and lacking in originality that it is slightly disheartening. I love fantasy but I think great authors like Joe Abercombie and Mark Lawrence have raised my expectations too far for any other authors to keep up. That being said, I enjoyed Ian Irvine’s Vengeance a great deal. It was a breath of fresh air.

Several things worked for me. Irvine has crafted a new and interesting world, and although we didn’t get t
Hate2beLate
This is my first Ian Irvine book. I glanced through some of the other reviews in order to get an idea of the general feeling of some of the readers. I have no reference for his other books, so, I can make no comparison there. Initially I felt as though the characters and story were 'thrown on the canvas in wild bold strokes' and I wanted a deeper more personal connection and in some places an explanation. As the story progressed, I became so intrigued with the originality that I basically scanne ...more
Krystal Hickam
I would like to first thank the author, publisher and goodreads for allowing me a ARC of Vengeance.
This book took me a while to finish reading, this is due to it being a decently long book and I only had time to read it on my breaks at work. Not many books can keep stay in my mind that long where I never found myself what had happen prior in the book. It reads well and has been edited well, with few story breaks and a compelling plot that keeps you entwined until the end. The best part of this b
Cindy
Vengeance, the first book in the Tainted Realm trilogy, was my first chance to experience Ian Irvine's writing. I have seen the author's works on the shelf before, but never had the urge or time to pursue any of the other fantasy series.

Vengeance had all the elements I was looking for at the time in a book -- fantasy, mystery, adventure, and a newly created world to jump right into. Add that to the mysterious, yet not unique plot and I thought I'd give this novel a try.

I enjoyed my journey int
Carole
May 11, 2012 Carole rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, anyone with eyes
A fantastic read. I was a big fan of Three Worlds Cycle so I have to admit I didn't expect this to be quite as good and I'm glad to admit I was wrong. It was a great first installment to the series and I can't wait for the next one.

The story follows Tali, a slave from underground Cython, who escapes seeking justice for her mother's murder. There's vengeance, betrayal, murder, war, a little love, but not a lot of justice. It's one of those stories that just when you think the situation can't get
Mary
Tali is a young slave girl (one of the Pales) who witnesses her mothers brutal murder. She vows venegeance. Rix is heir to Hightspalls greatest fortune. He worries that is linked to the murder. The two characters are brought together and they must begin to trust each other and find a way to save the realm.

This was a very fun and action packed story. It is set in a very different world compared to many of the other books available. The book did seem to be geared more toward YA, but the brutality
MELISSA
What an epic read Tali is a slave a Pale lowest of the low hated by every one , only those that bow and comply to the rule survive.Tali has a temper so her days are harder .Tali witnesses the murder of her mother and vows revenge. The story is evenly paced exciting ,different elements coming together magic ware creatures an enchanted sword .Rix provides a hero like charature that doesnt know he`s a hero yet .I cannot wait till the next book Rebellion comes out .
It was a bit of a frustrating read for me. As a geologist, I loved the idea of using magic to control geological catastrophes such as glaciers (Ice Ages style), earthquakes and volcanoes. I also liked the idea how time can distort the truths and the use of propaganda can perpetuate violence/war between two peoples.
The things I didn't like:
The action scenes took too many chapters and had to describe every sword swing or magic spell. I need more character development and plot.
Rix. He was a noble f
Michael
This was a great disappointment. Australian author with a variety of fantasy already written, an established name with credentials. The book lived up to none of my expectations, the characters were lifeless, I never felt their flaws were really a concern for them and their great fears were repeatedly overcome. I found the writing descriptive and almost academic in its clinicality (if that's a word) but unengaging. I just didn't care what happened to them and found myself barracking for the main ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
It was confusing, it was too much and I did not give a damn. The world was interesting though.
Jim
VENGEANCE is a sword and sorcery style fantasy set in a country called Hightspall, but whose previous rulers had called Cythe. The native population of Cythe had been driven into a subterranean existence by the Hightspallers and lived a twisted version of their former lives. A third element of this population are the Pale who are slaves to the Cythonians and looked upon as traitors by the Hightspallers. The heroine of this book is a Pale named Tali. Her coming of age starts a series of events th ...more
Ruth
Rebecca Lovatt
Growing up, Ian Irvine‘s The Three Worlds Cycle introduced me to the world of fantasy, and to reading epic fantasy. His characters and worlds have a complexity and sense of realism like nothing I had read before; drawing me in, and engulfing my imagination. His novels have always been amongst my favourites.

Vengeance, book one in The Tainted Realm series is no different. His world, and his characters complex and unique. However, I am at odds with this book.

On one hand, I found it to be quite an e
Squire
Disclaimer: I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

This first volume of Irvine's The Tainted Realm has everything going for it: a great and epic story; a terrific cast of characters; and some inspired action sequences. Unfortunately, it fails to achieve the heights it so earnestly strives for.

I expect to have a period of adjustment to a fantasy series' language and context. But here, that period is made frustrating by initially presenting three sides of a story that don't match up--I found myse
Sean the Bookonaut
I wanted to like this book.

I interviewed Ian Irvine for the Galactic Chat podcast and have since met him in person – he’s a gentleman. Which makes having to review this book difficult because my desire to like a fantasy by an Australian author comes up against the book itself.

We didn’t get along, Vengeance and me.

Character

It began with the characters. I didn’t feel drawn to any of them and for the life of me I am unsure as to why? There’s certainly enough time for the reader to explore each of
Jason Stevens
If you've read the Three Worlds books and are approaching this new trilogy with trepidation, allow me to state unequivocally: you will enjoy this! How do I know? I went into it with some trepidation myself, fearing it wouldn't be as enjoyable or as rich as the books in the Three Worlds. This primarily came from the summary of the book itself. While sounding moderately interesting, it didn't seem like one that would capture my interest if I wasn't already a fan of the author (the cover design, to ...more
Ward Bond
Product Description

VENGEANCE is the first book in the Tainted Realm Trilogy. It's a story of betrayal, murder and a girl's hunt for justice in a world where two peoples are divided and mistrust can only lead to war. In Cython’s underground slave camps, only the timid and obedient survive – but Tali is neither of these. In Cython, having magic means the death penalty, and Tali’s gift is swelling out of her control.Though no slave has ever escaped, Tali must, for she has sworn to bring her mothe

Mica
This is a story about vengeance... OR IS IT... yes it is.

Characters while not original or deep where at the very least likeable. Our main protagonist is Tali, a somewhat anger prone, teenaged girl *spoiler* who saw her mother get murdered */spoiler* and her main quest is to seek, yep you guessed it, vengeance. As far as character development goes there wasn't much of it.

The prose was fluid and simple to read. This lack of complexity while making it easy to join the world of Hightspall but never
Time Period?... 1 15 May 22, 2012 10:29PM
  • Seven Princes (Books of the Shaper, #1)
  • Across the Face of the World (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • Songs of the Earth (The Wild Hunt, #1)
  • Passion Play (River of Souls, #1)
  • Besieged (The Outcast Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hero
  • Farlander
  • Black Halo (Aeons' Gate, #2)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • Blood's Pride (Shattered Kingdoms, #1)
  • Heart of the Mirage (Mirage Makers, #1)
  • Elisha Barber (The Dark Apostle, #1)
  • The Steel Queen (The Silk & Steel Saga, #1)
  • Unconscionable (Richard Coleman, #3)
  • Irenicon (The Wave Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sentinel Mage (The Cursed Kingdoms, #1)
  • Irons in the Fire (The Chronicles of the Lescari Revolution, #1)
  • The Boy with the Porcelain Blade (Erebus Sequence, #1)
I'm an Australian author of 31 novels, mainly fantasy. They include the bestselling Three Worlds epic fantasy sequence, which has sold over a million print copies and has been published in 11 countries. It comprises The View from the Mirror quartet, The Well of Echoes quartet and The Song of the Tears trilogy. I’m currently writing the long-awaited sequel to The View from the Mirror, which will be ...more
More about Ian Irvine...

The Tainted Realm (3 books)
  • Rebellion (The Tainted Realm, #2)
  • Justice
A Shadow on the Glass (The View from the Mirror, #1) The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4) Geomancer (The Well of Echoes, #1) The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2) Dark is the Moon (The View from the Mirror, #3)