Ellie's Haven (River of Hope #2)

Ellie's Haven (River of Hope #2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A courageous young woman seeking refuge...
Ellie Booth was never the type to run away. But she'd witnessed her stepfather commit a heartless crime, and, knowing he'll stop at nothing to keep her quiet, she has no choice but to flee. Soon, she finds herself in Wabash, Indiana, scrambling for a cover identity to evade her stepfather. For lack of a better option, she answe...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Bethany Press International (first published November 1st 2011)

Charity U
What a joy to return to Sharlene’s writing! I so enjoyed it in the first River of Hope book, Livvie’s Song. This book was also a delight! The girl on the front? She’s perfect. Have I mentioned that Livvie is perfect on her book? She is. And Ellie is perfect here. The hair, the face expression, it’s all exactly what is described in the book. Anyway, this book centers on something quite like a mail-order bride, only the couple knew each other even less than the average mail-ordered bride. It was a...more
Trinity Rose
I really love this book. Ellie’s Haven is such a tender, compassionate book that it will grip your heart. This is book two in the River of Hope series. Ellie’s Haven is one of my favorite books for 2011. Sharlene MacLaren is an excellent author and I love her writing style.
I like that Ellie’s Haven has so many interesting parts. I couldn’t wait to read it each day, but was sad to finish. Very interesting, lovable characters.
Ellie’s Haven has suspense, hate, mother-daughter love, friendship, f...more
Ausjenny
I read this book as part of First Wildcard Tours. This is the second in the River of Hope Series but could be read alone. In the book we see Ellie leaving her step-father after he murders someone in there home and going to Wabash Indiana. Here is ends up meeting Gage who is the father of 4 children who need a mother. She marries Gage in a marriage of convenience. Ellie is a country hillbilly who hasn't been outside her area in all her life. Seeing her new discoveries from her eyes is interesting...more
Pathway Midland
This second novel in the River of Hope series is set in 1928. Nineteen year old Eleanor Booth flees from her stepfather and troubling events in Athens, Tennessee and heads north to live with an aunt in Wabash, Indiana. Upon arriving, she discovers that her aunt has died. In need of a place to live and a new identity, she answers a job posting at Livvie’s kitchen (from Book 1 in the series) for a wife, and enters into a marriage of convenience with widower Gage Cooper to care for his four childre...more
Lynne Young
I loved this book! It is Book 2 in the River of Hope series and it is just as good as book 1. I love the way Sharlene MacLaren writes. She weaves a beautiful, believable story with faith, romance and yes even fear at times but God is in control and He will make a way.

Eleanor, Ellie for short, Booth is desperate. She has witnessed a crime committed by her stepfather and her mother sends her away for safety. Unfortunately, the Aunt she is sent to has passed away so Ellie answers an ad placed by wi...more
Maureen Timerman
A return visit to Wabash Indiana and Livvie. Our new character is Ellie Booth, who has grown up in the back woods of Athen, TN. She has led an hard life since her Dad passed away and her Mother remarried a very Evil man! Ellie and her Mother witness Bryron Pruitt kill Walter Sullivan, a Government Man. He forces Ellie to bury Walter, he has a gun pointed at her head!
In Wabash, Gage Cooper is desperate for someone to take care of his four children. The ten year old twins, Alec and Abe, Eight year...more
Janice Sisemore

Ellie goes to Indiana to live with her aunt to get away from her stepfather in Tennessee. After she get there she finds out her aunt passed away about a year ago. She knows something her stepdad did and he is trying to find her.

Gage puts a advertisement up in the restaurant for a wife since hiring housekeepers is not working for his 4 young children. He is a widow. Ellie applies to be his wife but she is only nineteen and he is in his thirties.

They end up getting married since he needs someone...more
Jane
A book of hope for sure. A stepdaughter, Ellie, made to do things no young girl should have to do. Her Mother instructing her to leave home to protect her.
God's plan unfolds as Ellie arrives in Wabash to learn her Aunt is dead. She answers an ad to be a wife and mother to 4 children in a marriage of convenience.
God's love revealed in so many ways. Gage falls in love with his wife. His Mother's accepts his young wife. Ellie's Mom shows up to protect her daughter. Both Mother's protect those they...more
Lisa Nelson
Ellie's Haven
by Sharlene MacLaren

A very enjoyable story. It has suspense, romance and many enjoyable characters! One extra bonus is the author's tribute to one of her friends, who she admires, by putting her in the story.

I have read most of this authors books and have enjoyed them very much! I especially enjoyed the Little Hickman Creek series. I hope she continues to write for many more years.
Jan
I gave 4 stars to Book 1. This book, #2, was just silly. The best example I can think of: Ellie swoons (that's just a fainting spell) and Gage goes into this long explanation to assure her that the doctor is competent, i.e., how he has treated everyone in his family for years, etc. etc. That might be in order if this doctor was doing brain surgery, but, come on!

Let's see, read Book 3? Not read Book 3?
Amy
19 year old Ellie has to flee home in Tennessee to escape a mean bootlegging stepfather who killed a federal agent in cold blood. When she reaches her destination in Wabash, Indiana, she discovers her great aunt has died and she has no place to go. She sees a sign for a man looking for a wife of convenience to help take care of his home and his children. She ends up marrying him and the adventure begins.
Denise
Ellie has left her home because of something she saw her stepfather do. She travels to all Wabash, Indiana live with a relative. When those plans fall through she sees eight ad for a wife /housekeeper nanny. Gage is just trying to get care for his children. Will Gage and Ellie be able to work things out? Good story with a good message.
Julie Carroll

Good book about healing from past experiences and about love with religious themes.
Kathy Anthony
I enjoyed this one very much. Waiting to read the third one in this series.
Andy
Good book, typical romance, but an enjoyable read.
Jennifer HOot
Janine
Janine added it
Apr 08, 2014
Anna Ovd
Anna Ovd marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Anni Anderson
Anni Anderson marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
After 31 years of teaching second and fourth grades, Shar decided to say, "Bye-bye, Students!" and "Hello, Writing World!" and it's been an interesting, exciting, challenging, and inspiring adventure. One thing she knows for certain—God dropped a seed of passion for writing in her heart back in the summer of 2000, and He's been growing it ever since. She signed on with Whitaker House Publishers in...more
More about Sharlene MacLaren...
Hannah Grace (Daughters of Jacob Kane, #1) Loving Liza Jane (Little Hickman Creek #1) Maggie Rose (Daughters of Jacob Kane #2) Sarah My Beloved (Little Hickman Creek #2) Courting Emma (Little Hickman Creek #3)