Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes and the Shakespeare Letter” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes and the Shakespeare Letter

Sherlock Holmes and the Shakespeare Letter

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  18 reviews

Having emerged from a Swiss glacier and solved his first murder case in more than ninety years (described in The Strange Return of Sherlock Holmes), the world’s most famous detective now sleuths through modern London in search of a stolen letter purportedly written by Shakespeare. Holmes displays his usual mental brilliance as he investigates the missing letter and discove

Published June 1st 2011 by Severn House Digital (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes and the Shakespeare Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes and the Shakespeare Letter

Danny
Maybe it's because I've never read much of the original Sherlock Holmes stories, but this just didn't move me.

Catherine  Mustread
The Shakespeare connection was my primary reason for reading this book. I've read most of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes Reader stories but have never been a giant fan. Therefore I did not read the #1 book in this newer series, The Strange Return of Sherlock Holmes, in which Sherlock, thanks to science, is with us in modern times, after being frozen in an avalanche for 90 years.

Interesting but not overly suspenseful issue of the disappearance of a letter which Shakespeare might have writte...more
Brenda
This is the second book of this series I have read, not in order of publication, so I only have the explanation for how Holmes is in the modern day through bits and pieces in the later two books that I have read so far. They are very involving and clever. They are also kind of scary in that the technology is either real or close enough to real that the terrorism they have to stop in these books could happen. I have a hard time not picturing Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, from the BBC S...more
Susan
The resuscitated Sherlock Holmes and his new companion, retired journalist James Wilson, face two cases: the mysterious disappearance of a letter said to be written by William Shakespeare, and the peculiar mini-explosions that are plaguing London's art community. Not too surprisingly, the cases converge. Wilson has his hands full with three beautiful ladies, which Holmes finds mildly amusing. Even Lestrade's descendant, still at Scotland Yard, is around to see the fun. I enjoyed this more than t...more
Lana Kamennof-sine
This is the 2nd in a series & I admit, that although it stand on its own, I would have liked to have read the 1st.
Sherlock is back after being frozen in a glacier then being reanimated. He's adapted well to modern resources & the interplay between Holmes & Wilson is good. There's no doubt that the author is well versed in Sherlockian lore & it's demonstrated deftly.
Multiple plots/twists keep the reader's interest. Bacon v Shakespeare, anarchists, microbombs & even a 1 eyed do...more
Janet
Sherlock Holmes fans will enjoy this latest adventure and 21st century version of their favorite detective. Resuscitated after being frozen for decades in a Swiss glacier, Sherlock Holmes must solve the mystery of a stolen Shakespeare letter, which could resolve the mystery as to the true creator of Shakespeare's plays. This is a sequel to Grant's book, The Strange Return of Sherlock Holmes.
Eric
This is the second book about the resuscitated Sherlock Holmes in the 21st century. It continues to bring the feel of a Sherlock Holmes mystery but with a modern flair. Holmes is now using technology which he is unaccustomed to and we feel the struggle he has in adjusting to the constantly changing society. A great read and I look forward to the next book hopefully real soon.
Kelly
Although this is not the Sherlock Holmes I knew from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, I found the character similar enough to be enjoyable. The plot is a little weak, but the writing is strong. Some dialogue really captured the essence of Holmes. Enjoyable book and fairly quick read.
Joanna Jacob
At one point in this book, I literally gasped out loud. For me, that is the sign of a gripping mystery novel. This is a really smart, well-written mystery and is a very respectful tribute to the Arthur Conan Doyle originals. I loved it.
Susan
I usually love any mystery that features Sherlock Holmes, but this one, with a cloned and revived detective, doesn't grab me. The mystery is intriguing enough to hold my interest, but I just can't get into the main character.
Joel
It's OK, not great. I rated it 3 stars instead of 2 because it's Holmes. He gave most of it away fairly early and then you're waiting for Holmes to catch on, which is dumb, but he made up for it with a decent ending.
Spenser
Definitely preferred this book over Swedish Enigma.
This book begins with a letter that could prove the authenticity of Shakespeare's plays and over time develops into international terrorism.
Read it!
Amy
Not having read the first in this series, but having read some Sherlock Holmes in the not too distant past, it is easy to jump in and enjoy this book.
Riley
Not so sure if I like the idea of holmes being 'flash frozen' like a tater tot, but I'll muddle through for a good mystery!
Ellen
A regenerated Holmes and new sidekick Wilson face a modern-day career criminal, at least the equal of Moriarty.
A
An exceptionally tight storyline and great characterizations on this Sherlock in the 21st Century tome.
Nancy Newton
One real conundrum and one very bizarre series of events come together to
make a very compelling story.
Kim
Great plotting, Great characterizations! I really loved this book!
Sheena Gossett
Sheena Gossett marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Shanon
Shanon marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Strange Return of Sherlock Holmes Sherlock Holmes and the Swedish Enigma Sherlock Holmes and Frankenstein's Diary Strange Return of Sherlock Holmes, The (A Sherlock Holmes Mystery) Sherlock Holmes and Frankenstein's Diary (Sherlock Holmes Mysteries (Severn))