Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes and the Shakespeare Letter” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes and the Shakespeare Letter

Sherlock Holmes and the Shakespeare Letter

Having emerged from a Swiss glacier and solved his first murder case in more than ninety years (described in The Strange Return of Sherlock Holmes), the world’s most famous detective now sleuths through modern London in search of a stolen letter purportedly written by Shakespeare. Holmes displays his usual mental brilliance as he investigates the missing letter and discove

Published June 1st 2011 by Severn House Digital (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes and the Shakespeare Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes and the Shakespeare Letter

Brenda
Oct 20, 2013 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of this series I have read, not in order of publication, so I only have the explanation for how Holmes is in the modern day through bits and pieces in the later two books that I have read so far. They are very involving and clever. They are also kind of scary in that the technology is either real or close enough to real that the terrorism they have to stop in these books could happen. I have a hard time not picturing Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, from the BBC S ...more
Danny
Apr 22, 2012 Danny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Maybe it's because I've never read much of the original Sherlock Holmes stories, but this just didn't move me.

Roberta
Feb 15, 2016 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I almost didn't take this book out of the library because I thought that the first book in the series was a little lame and the summary in the library catalog made this book sound like a thriller which seemed weird. But I couldn't resist the double connection with Sherlock Holmes and Shakespeare and I definitely enjoyed this second installment better than The Strange Return of Sherlock Holmes.

Readers new to the series can piece together the fact that Sherlock Holmes was revived after having bee
Catherine  Mustread
The Shakespeare connection was my primary reason for reading this book. I've read most of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes Reader stories but have never been a giant fan. Therefore I did not read the #1 book in this newer series, The Strange Return of Sherlock Holmes, in which Sherlock, thanks to science, is with us in modern times, after being frozen in an avalanche for 90 years.

Interesting but not overly suspenseful issue of the disappearance of a letter which Shakespeare might have writte
Lana Kamennof-sine
This is the 2nd in a series & I admit, that although it stand on its own, I would have liked to have read the 1st.
Sherlock is back after being frozen in a glacier then being reanimated. He's adapted well to modern resources & the interplay between Holmes & Wilson is good. There's no doubt that the author is well versed in Sherlockian lore & it's demonstrated deftly.
Multiple plots/twists keep the reader's interest. Bacon v Shakespeare, anarchists, microbombs & even a 1 eyed do
Susan
Jan 27, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-england
The resuscitated Sherlock Holmes and his new companion, retired journalist James Wilson, face two cases: the mysterious disappearance of a letter said to be written by William Shakespeare, and the peculiar mini-explosions that are plaguing London's art community. Not too surprisingly, the cases converge. Wilson has his hands full with three beautiful ladies, which Holmes finds mildly amusing. Even Lestrade's descendant, still at Scotland Yard, is around to see the fun. I enjoyed this more than t ...more
Janet
Feb 23, 2011 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes fans will enjoy this latest adventure and 21st century version of their favorite detective. Resuscitated after being frozen for decades in a Swiss glacier, Sherlock Holmes must solve the mystery of a stolen Shakespeare letter, which could resolve the mystery as to the true creator of Shakespeare's plays. This is a sequel to Grant's book, The Strange Return of Sherlock Holmes.
Eric
Feb 28, 2011 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book about the resuscitated Sherlock Holmes in the 21st century. It continues to bring the feel of a Sherlock Holmes mystery but with a modern flair. Holmes is now using technology which he is unaccustomed to and we feel the struggle he has in adjusting to the constantly changing society. A great read and I look forward to the next book hopefully real soon.
Joanna Jacob
Mar 19, 2011 Joanna Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At one point in this book, I literally gasped out loud. For me, that is the sign of a gripping mystery novel. This is a really smart, well-written mystery and is a very respectful tribute to the Arthur Conan Doyle originals. I loved it.
Kelly
Jun 05, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this is not the Sherlock Holmes I knew from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, I found the character similar enough to be enjoyable. The plot is a little weak, but the writing is strong. Some dialogue really captured the essence of Holmes. Enjoyable book and fairly quick read.
Joel
Dec 10, 2010 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
It's OK, not great. I rated it 3 stars instead of 2 because it's Holmes. He gave most of it away fairly early and then you're waiting for Holmes to catch on, which is dumb, but he made up for it with a decent ending.
Susan
Feb 15, 2011 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I usually love any mystery that features Sherlock Holmes, but this one, with a cloned and revived detective, doesn't grab me. The mystery is intriguing enough to hold my interest, but I just can't get into the main character.
Deb
Jul 29, 2016 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once more

Captivating as the first book and convincing enough to be enjoyed by all Doyle's fans. The character development, plot pace, and rhythm of the narrative and dialogue are irresistible.
Spenser Barranco
Sep 28, 2012 Spenser Barranco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely preferred this book over Swedish Enigma.
This book begins with a letter that could prove the authenticity of Shakespeare's plays and over time develops into international terrorism.
Read it!
Kim
Sep 19, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great plotting, Great characterizations! I really loved this book!
Riley
Not so sure if I like the idea of holmes being 'flash frozen' like a tater tot, but I'll muddle through for a good mystery!
Michael Brown
Holmes is found frozen in a Swiss glacier from a mission in WWI. He is now back in London and has a new case and a new Moriarty. Looking for #1. OK read.
Ellen
Aug 14, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A regenerated Holmes and new sidekick Wilson face a modern-day career criminal, at least the equal of Moriarty.
A
Nov 08, 2011 A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptionally tight storyline and great characterizations on this Sherlock in the 21st Century tome.
Amy
Nov 08, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not having read the first in this series, but having read some Sherlock Holmes in the not too distant past, it is easy to jump in and enjoy this book.
Cherie Waggie
A glacier? The mix just didn't mix. The characters didn't mesh and Sherlock came across as kind of weak. I prefer the original.
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2011
Cybrarian717
Cybrarian717 rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2012
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Chrysten Brice
Chrysten Brice rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2017
Alan Monken
Alan Monken rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Corey Nelson
Corey Nelson rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Johnzei
Johnzei rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Barry Grant is a pen name.

Barry Grant at age eleven boarded the North Coast Limited in Chicago and traveled to his uncles' farm in North Dakota to spend the summer . . . and there he spent every summer thereafter until he graduated from high school. None of the later journeys of his life - by boat up the Amazon, by Volkswagen Beetle over the Atlas Mountains to Zagora, and so on - ever matched tho
More about Barry Grant...