Start by marking “Trial By Fire” as Want to Read:
Trial By Fire

Trial By Fire

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Seventeen year-old Nathan is running - running from his past and running from his present. Raised by a white mother and never having known his native father, he must cope with prejudice and stereotypes. When he meets Sally, the beautiful outsider, he finds someone who believes in him. But when Sally's house is put to the torch by an arsonist, suspicion falls on Nathan and ...more
Published November 1st 1998 by Dundurn (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Trial By Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial By Fire

Debbie

This story is about 17 year old Nathan, who soon finds himself being suspected of setting his girlfriend Sally’s home on fire. Nathan know that with his past with the police, they already think he’s trouble, so they would have no trouble believing that he would set this fire. The truth is though, he didn’t do it.

When Nathan met Sally he totally felt that she understood him, like no one else did. He felt really alone when his mother and him often faught . It was a rocky relationship to say the l
Sheila
Mar 26, 2015 Sheila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book in 1998. It was inspired by stories my husband told me about how his father, a full-blooded Cree, faced prejudice simply because he was Native Canadian. I also liked the idea of dark-skinned Indian-looking Nathan having a very blonde, very pale girlfriend. Times are different now, but I'm old enough to remember how the only Black student at my high school was treated by the adult generation after he began dating a blonde beauty in his class.
Trial by Fire is recommended by the C
Sheila
Mar 14, 2013 Sheila rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I did my best, and like this book, but if I wrote it today, I'd do better! It was a finalist for Canada's major Crime Writing award, in the YA category.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Melinda Freeland
Melinda Freeland marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2011
I love to read more than I love to write, but I love both. I was born in England, but have lived in Canada, with small breaks, since I was six.
I currently live in Newmarket, a town near Toronto, Ontario, where I spend my days gardening, meditating, taking care of two cats, cooking (I love to cook)and cooking up stories!
I've worked as a barmaid in England, an art gallery assistant, a freelance edit
More about Sheila Dalton...
The Girl in the Box Stolen Orangutans / Gazelles (Getting To Know Nature's Children) Blowing Holes Through the Everyday Leopards / Parrots