Start by marking “Too Shy for Show-And-Tell” as Want to Read:
Too Shy for Show-And-Tell

Too Shy for Show-And-Tell (Little Boost)

Sam is a quiet little boy who hates show-and-tell. Just thinking about it makes his stomach hurt. Sam must find a way to conquer his fear of show-and-tell.
Published July 1st 2011 by Picture Window Books

To ask other readers questions about Too Shy for Show-And-Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Shy for Show-And-Tell

April Voss
Sep 13, 2012 April Voss rated it really liked it
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
Perfect book for young children. The basic plot surrounds Sam’s fear of public speaking, however there is a deeper underlying theme about opening up to people around you and friendship. In the opening scene, a sad Sam is keeping to himself not saying hi to anyone as he walks to school. Nobody knows anything about Sam or what he likes. In contrast the end scene, shows a happy Sam waving good-bye to his friends as he heads home.

The author effectively uses short, simple sentences to emotionally con
Jordyn Agost
Apr 26, 2016 Jordyn Agost rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-lessons, school
Too Shy for Show and Tell is about a very shy young giraffe named Sam. The teacher had assigned everyone to bring a show and tell on Friday. Same brought a picture of his new puppy. His favorite animal was a dog, favorite food was chocolate cake, and he absolutely loved cake however, no one knew any of this because Sam was just too shy. Same did conquer his fear though and everything was okay. Not only that but now other students were able to learn about Sam.
I really liked this book because of t
Jenny Kwon
Mar 15, 2015 Jenny Kwon rated it really liked it
Too Shy for Show-and-Tell is about a character named Sam. Sam has selective mutism and is nervous for a show and tell that he must do on Friday. He must bring in an object and share with his classmates. Sam becomes extremely nervous and anxious and does not want to talk in front the class. He worries and worries thinking that he will not be able to share. Later, he finds out that his classmates feel the same way and becomes more comfortable with speaking.

This book is more for students in Kinder
Kylee Myers
Mar 19, 2014 Kylee Myers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: voice-ecl
This story is about a giraffe that is too shy for show and tell. Sam is so shy, he doesn't talk to anyone, and when show and tell comes around, he will do anything to stay home. Sam has so many things that he could share if he wasn't so shy; he loves chocolate, toy truck, and he loves dogs. The only problem is that he is too shy to share these things with others at school. Finally, Sam goes to show and tell and shares a picture of his new dog, chocolate! Named after his favorite kind of cake!

Thi
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Dec 05, 2012 IndyPL Kids Book Blog rated it it was amazing
Sam doesn't talk much. He likes trucks and dogs but none of the kids in his class know that. The thought of show-and-tell at school sends Sam into a panic fueled tummy ache. What if he says something dumb? What if he says the wrong words? What if he cries, or worse, throws up?!!

Other kids take turns before Sam. None of them cry or throw up. No one laughs at them either, so Sam works up the courage to try show-and-tell himself. The illustration of Sam's friends sitting on the rug eagerly waiting
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
“Sam was a quiet boy.
Nobody knew much about him.”

Sam was shy. He did not like to speak up. He was very worried when he knew he would have to present something to the class for show-and-tell.

“At school, Sam told Miss Emily he’d forgotten about show-and-tell.

‘I didn’t bring anything,’ he said. But that wasn’t true. His perfect show-and-tell thing was in his backpack.”

After watching other children show their special things, Sam bravely presents his special show-and-tell thing. It went well and Sam
Allison Taylor
Jan 31, 2015 Allison Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a last minute search for a book about public speaking, and how it feels for kids to talk to strangers for some early elementary students, I settled on this substitute. It honestly deals with how it feels to conquer the fear of standing up in front of the class - I read it to grades 1-3 and even the third graders loved it because we could brainstorm feelings of anxiety for the character, instead of relating it to them. I only with the word 'shy' wasn't used to describe the character. A ...more
Sarah BT
Sep 29, 2012 Sarah BT rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! This would have been perfect for me as a kid as I was very shy and I could relate to Sam and his fear of speaking in class. It's very sweet and eases into being brave without feeling like it's pushing readers to not be shy. The subject matter is handled perfectly and I think shy kids will relate and appreciate this tale. The illustrations capture the emotions of Sam and the other animals perfect adding to the quiet sweetness of the story. Recommended for shy kids (and not so ...more
Barbara
There's a lot to Sam, but no one seems to know much about him since he's so shy. Although he tries to avoid show-and-tell by claiming he's sick or that he left his object at home, his teacher insists that he share. After watching the other students, some of whom stumble over words but all of whom receive applause, Sam decides to take a risk. By doing so, he allowed his classmates to get to know him a little better, and he gained confidence. This is a good title for sharing with others since it ...more
Relyn
Jun 16, 2015 Relyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: lawsonland
This was a super-cute book, and I don't just mean the illustrations. Though, I do love those. This is a great little story with a lot of opportunities for discussion built in.

Classroom Connections
I plan to read this at the beginning of the school year. It's all about shyness and friendship. I look forward to using it as a jumping off point for a discussion of being ourselves, being brave, and letting other people really know us.
The Brothers
Mar 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Sam is a shy giraffe who imagines everyone will laugh at him if he messes up his show and tell presentation. He notices that no matter what the other kids say or do during their presentations, everyone claps. So he bravely stands before the class and "shows and tells" and the other students now know a little bit more about him.

Nice illustrations.
Jazz
Jan 30, 2013 Jazz rated it it was amazing
Too Shy for Show-And-Tell is an encouraging story about a little boy not just too shy for show-and-tell, but also too shy to invite anyone to his birthday or talk to his classmates at all. Bracken's prose nails the anxieties of small children, and Bell's soft lines and sweet looking cast should be a comfort to young readers.
Mary
Nov 13, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
As a former (and still, occasional) shy person, I could certainly relate to Sam feeling so nervous about showing-and-telling in front of the group that his tummy hurt. A realistic, and simple recounting of shyness and anxiety - and how speaking up in front of a group is not as hard as you think.
Shanice Duncan
Mar 27, 2015 Shanice Duncan rated it it was amazing
great book about being nervous to speak in front of a crowd, people didn't know much about Sam at the beginning of the story but ended with Sam wanting to bring his biggest truck and his classmates learned he loved chocolate cake.
Romelle
Oct 08, 2013 Romelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
A common storyline but the lovely illustrations make this an adorable story for all. I recommend this for children pre-k through kindergarten. It would make a great gift for entering school children!
Kristen
This is just right for the little ones. Straightforward plot - Sam is afraid to speak for show-and-tell, his mom and his teacher don't let him off the hook, he does it, he realizes it was sort of fun. Love the animal characters.
Paula
Apr 18, 2012 Paula rated it liked it

Sam is so shy that nobody knows much about him, but when he must stand in front of his class for show-and-tell, he finds the courage to share.
Amy
Dec 16, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
For some reason this book really reminded me of my partner even though the shy giraffe is nothing like him (aside from the love of chocolate). The pictures and his love of dogs warms my heart! Yay!
Jeanne
Nov 20, 2012 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A kind little book about a boy who's very quiet and is worried about having to speak in front of everyone at show and tell. Touching. Good to share with your little one who might be a bit shy.
Anna
Aug 26, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I think it is easy for children to understand and many kids have an issue with being shy so this book helps them see they aren't alone.
Meghan Hunt
Jan 28, 2015 Meghan Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jp-picture-books
What a perfect little book for anxious or shy kids! The illustrations are gorgeous and insightful too.
Mrs. Carey
This would be a good book to read with children who are scared of public speaking or talking with others.
Apr 26, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
I liked the illustrations and the overall character of the giraffe, Sam. I can relate to him because I too was shy as a kid. I think this is a great book for people who are shy.
Tara Calaby
May 08, 2012 Tara Calaby rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is such a sweet book, with a really nice message for kids. The illustrations are absolutely adorable, too!
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
jennifer
jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2011
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Little Boost (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Crabby Pants
  • Eleanore Won't Share
  • Hello, Goodbye, and a Very Little Lie
  • Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker
  • The Little Bully
  • Lucille Gets Jealous
  • Maybe When I'm Bigger
  • Ruth's Pink Pajamas
  • Terrible, Awful, Horrible Manners!
  • The Messy One