Start by marking “Pigboy” as Want to Read:
Pigboy

Pigboy

Published October 1st 2006 by Orca Book Publishers (first published September 1st 2006)

1984 by George OrwellHamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareDracula by Bram StokerUglies by Scott Westerfeld
One Word Titles
1,159 books — 147 voters
My Ántonia by Willa CatherCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteFarmer Boy by Laura Ingalls WilderThese Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls WilderThe First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Farms and Farm Life
186 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Precious
Nov 27, 2014 Precious rated it really liked it
Have you ever been bullied by someone because of your name? Well maybe you can relate to Dan Hog's. How ever Dan has no friends at all no one hangs with him. Pig Boy by Vicki Grant is a very good mysterious fiction book Dan is about 13 years old and is trying to survive middle school. Dan is not like all other kids in his class he has dyslexia and a weird body form. Dan goes to school and is picked on emotionally and Physically by a bully named Shane Collen. I really feel sorry for poor little ...more
Kane
Dec 09, 2016 Kane rated it it was amazing
this book was good
Christopher
Apr 24, 2014 Christopher rated it it was amazing
BLURB: Dan is not sure he'll survive the boring field trip to a remote heritage farm. How could a place with no running water, telephone or electricity be anything but dull? The farmer knows nothing about farming and is angry about having to conduct the tour. And what's with his tattoo? The teacher requests a private word with the farmer and then mysteriously disappears. After a messy attack of allergies, Dan is excused to find a tissue. He sneaks back to the school bus and discovers the driver ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Grandma Bev for TeensReadToo.com

Dan Hogg is the kid that everyone teases and insults....his name just begs for it, and besides that, he wears glasses and has weird hair. He really dreads the upcoming class field trip to a farm that raises pigs -- this should be an especially bad day for Dan, and the day does start out with the class bully making life miserable for him.

A career criminal has knocked the farm owner out, and locked him in a shed in order to rob him, but when the bus loa
Bethany
Mar 26, 2014 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Dan is not sure he'll survive the boring field trip to a remote heritage farm. How could a place with no running water, telephone or electricity be anything but dull? The farmer knows nothing about farming and is angry about having to conduct the tour. And what's with his tattoo? The teacher requests a private word with the farmer and then mysteriously disappears. After a messy attack of allergies, Dan is excused to find a tissue. He sneaks back to the school bus and discovers the driver and ...more
Jacky L.
Oct 19, 2009 Jacky L. rated it really liked it
This book is about Dan Hogg being teased by everyone in his class. He had no friends and everyone thinks he's disgusting. One day it was a class trip and he was afraid he was going to throw up on the bus. But he thought the class wouldn;t be going on the trip because his teacher wasn't here so he didn't had to worry. But they had a substitute and arrived at a farm which is there class trip. Than this naughty guy came guy and trapped all the kids in a room, except for Dan Hogg because he was ...more
AbsentLibrarian
Jul 20, 2014 AbsentLibrarian rated it liked it
Full of action and angst from an outsider as main character. A well written mystery-adventure that shows that a story's hero does not need to be the strongest, coolest or a genius.
I remember this title from a few years back when it was one of the ten books nominated for an OLA award. There was some controversy over the content and some schools chose not to offer this title due to its contents. Having read it, finally, I don't see what all the fuss was about. It presents, as a foundation to to t
Michelle
Sep 24, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
High-interest and low Lexile level, this book excites and inspires! I read it quickly and it is a perfect book for middle schoolers who hate to read. There is great action, wonderful voice, and an exciting story line. Pigboy tells the story of a boy with the unfortunate last name of Hogg. Struggling already with bullies, he goes with his class to a pig farm. When they arrive, things are not what they seem and it's up to him to rescue his class from the convicts that have taken over the farm. I ...more
Jill
Mar 29, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary-age
What an enjoyable read! It took me a few chapters to get into the book, but once in I was hooked! I can see why this book is one of the top recommended ones for reluctant readers. The librarian at the local middle school says these (Orca Currents books) (are very popular among her students. They appeal to reluctant readers because of their size (100 pages) and the reading level, and the writing is humorous, witty, and stuff that 5th & 6th grader students will resonate with.
Leah
Feb 16, 2009 Leah rated it it was ok
Pigboy was kind of an insult to the name of novels. The book had only 101 freakin pages and the action started on page 50. It was very hilarious though at times because there's trhis one part where Dan's forced to slip out of his pants and go get his teacher's handbag, so he's running arlund around in tighty-whities with a woman's purse zlung over his shoulder when the killer spots him. A chase ensues in which Dan finally realizes the killer is screaming "Where's your pants!!!!!???"
C.
Jul 27, 2010 C. rated it liked it
This is a quick read, what the industry is calling a "high interest, low level" or hi-lo book for older students who read at lower levels. It comes from a new set, published by ORCA in Canada, I bought for the library. This was actually better than I was expecting since books written to meet a reading level are sometimes contrived. The main character was sympathetic and the trouble he got into and out of was compelling enough to keep me moving forward. I was happily surprised.
Dianna
Dec 30, 2008 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: most everyone
Recommended to Dianna by: my favorite librarian
this was a good short story. i haven't really done much with short stories, so it was kinda weird just getting used to the fact that it takes place over a couple of days or so. the title really says nothing about the book. you should read it becuase you'll be done within a matter of hours.

it was also a really great book because the author was able to avoid swearing.
Michelle Kelley
Nov 26, 2012 Michelle Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, orca-currents
Dan Hogg is a wimpy nerd disliked by his classmates and most especially, by himself. On a school field trip to a farm, things go wrong, and Dan Hogg is the only one who can save the day. This is a great high interest/low level read appropriate for grades 5-12. Orca Currents (the younger sibling to Orca Soundings).
Ann
Jan 24, 2009 Ann rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Loved it. A very short novel that I read in about an hour. You'll be hooked at the end of the first chapter. It's a fun YA book that doesn't have any cursing or other objectionable material while dealing with the subject of bullying and popularity. It's one that I'll read to my class for sure. It's up for a Beehive Book Award which I why I picked it up at the library.
Michelle
Feb 09, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teen boys, outsiders
Recommended to Michelle by: Marilee
Shelves: ya, 2008
Short, light story about an unlucky boy who everyone hates (including himself). That is until one day his class takes a field trip to a farm and things get way out of hand.

Dan - that would be pigboy to you - shows his true colors and learns a little about himself and others in the process.
Derek spielvogel
May 15, 2012 Derek spielvogel rated it it was amazing
What i think about this book is that this school class goes on a trip on to a farm and got set up and got locked in a house. But one person does not get locked up.I liked this book because it was a page turner.
Holly
Aug 11, 2008 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This was a fun, short read that had me laughing out loud. It could've fallen into the formulaic "geeky kid bullied by cool kid" kind of story, but Grant managed to write refreshingly original characters and dialogue as well as a suspenseful plot that kept you turning the pages.
Analisa
Mar 09, 2009 Analisa rated it it was amazing
Very quick, easy read (less than one hour)--for teens. But I enjoyed it. I was a little surprised in parts, laughed in parts, and was pleased with the end. I scoffed at a few parts, but because it was a short read, it was worth it for me!
Tim Baldwin
Feb 12, 2012 Tim Baldwin rated it it was amazing
The book is simply written. I used it in my seventh grade class, a group of students with IEPs, a group of students reluctant to read anything on their own. They loved the book and could relate to the themes and conflicts within the story.
Jeni
Sep 13, 2014 Jeni rated it liked it
Very entertaining and good for reluctant or struggling readers of a junior high age. I do not think this is a book for elementary students. It would probably scare some of them so I'd say 6th grade is the youngest that could handle it, at least for the more easily frightened.
Chrissy
Mar 25, 2009 Chrissy rated it liked it
A very fun, very fast (45 min.) read. I picked it up at the library because it looked like an interesting short story. It was NOTHING like I though it would be. An unrealistic but entertaining read.
Lynn
Sep 06, 2008 Lynn rated it liked it
This was a quick read. It was pretty good. It was about a boy whose last name is Hogg and his class goes to a pig farm and he is always picked on. On the field trip he saves the day and is the hero. I always enjoy a quick read now and then.
Serena
Feb 01, 2012 Serena rated it it was ok
i liked how the boy saved his class, but he got help from Shane. i know they arn't friends in the end, but nice to each other. I'm glad they didn't becomew friends because that would be to unrealistic.
Jenylyng
Jun 26, 2009 Jenylyng rated it it was ok
Hmmmm. Not my fav. Very short read (about 20 minutes)and I'm not sure what the point is. The author does a fantastic job of outlining what it is like to be the nerdy, picked on kid in school, but the resolution is far fetched and very unrealistic.
Krystal
Dec 10, 2008 Krystal rated it really liked it
I read this in about 30 minutes--more of a short story than a novel. Interesting story of a class trip to a historical farm with many twists and turns as they encounter an escaped convict.
Linda
Oct 05, 2008 Linda rated it it was ok
A quick read. The writing was pretty good, but the plot was predictable. Since it's a short book, it would probably be enjoyed by reluctant readers.
Ingrid Veilleux
Jul 01, 2016 Ingrid Veilleux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ma classe de 7ème en immersion tardive a beaucoup aimé ce roman. La trame de l'histoire est entrainante. Le niveau de lecture n'est pas trop difficile. C'est une bonne traduction de l'anglais.
Jul 28, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
What a fast book to read. I finished this in one hour. It was a cute story about a boy who seemed to be bullied.
Jun 27, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
A great book for reluctant readers. My special education students ate this book up and didn't want to stop reading it. Very suspenseful story!
  • The Secret of Grim Hill (Grim Hill, #1)
  • Chat Room
  • My Mother Is a French Fry and Further Proof of My Fuzzed-Up Life
  • The Prank
  • The Gravesavers
  • Hiding Edith: A True Story
Vicki Grant was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She studied at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (now NSCAD University), Dalhousie University, and Laval University. After graduation, Grant worked as an advertising copywriter in Toronto until the mid-1990s when she began writing for children's television. For the CBC, she created "Scoop & Doozie", a comedy series for pre-schoolers. Grant ...more
More about Vicki Grant...

“I'm going out,” I said.
I loved the way that sounded. It was just like what the heroes say in war movies right before they hurl themselves out of the plane. I felt like I should wink and say something like, “See you around, guys” and be really cool about it – but who was I kidding? I wasn't cool. I'd just sound like an idiot.”
3 likes