Start by marking “Contested Lives: The Abortion Debate in an American Community” as Want to Read:
Contested Lives: The Abortion Debate in an American Community

Contested Lives: The Abortion Debate in an American Community

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Based on the struggle over a Fargo, North Dakota, abortion clinic, Contested Lives explores one of the central social conflicts of our time. Both wide-ranging and rich in detail, it speaks not simply to the abortion issue but also to the critical role of women's political activism.

A new introduction addresses the events of the last decade, which saw the emergence of Operat
Paperback, Updated, 359 pages
Published September 1st 1998 by University of California Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Contested Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contested Lives

Sam Grace
Oct 05, 2009 Sam Grace marked it as to-read
Recommended to Sam by: Sarah Raskin; Susan Shaw
Apparently, people on both sides of the debate that she represents here feel like she did a good job.
Travis Hamilton
An interesting read. This book was assigned by one of my graduate courses in anthropology. I took away a bit more awareness of issues that surround abortion in the United States. My position on abortion was not changed, actually strengthened, but the book was a great read in the fact that people on both sides of the issue have many shared beliefs, concerns and ideas about abortion. Women who want to help other women is a major reality of what this book expresses across pro-life and pro-choice pi ...more
Karen Blanchette
This book tries extremely hard to be unbiased and present all sides of the abortion issue equally. It was a good book if you want to know how the abortion debate manifests itself in the practicality of the real world (in this case the opening of an abortion clinic). Being a sociologist, I love topics like this and I definitely learned a lot more where each side is coming from and how they justify their views.

I only wish that this book was written more recently, because I would be interested to s
Loved this book--it is a rare find in which BOTH sides are viewed from a relativistic viewpoint with a conclusion that would surprise many an entrenched person who fails to see that both sides actually strongly care for women and children's rights--they just happen to fall on opposite sides of this contested issue.
Alexsandra marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Lily marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Andrea is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2015
Kylie Rolf
Kylie Rolf marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Grace marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Karen added it
Dec 25, 2014
Rt added it
Dec 19, 2014
owleyes marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Laura added it
Oct 06, 2014
Callie added it
Aug 24, 2014
Rob marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Margaret  Kelly
Margaret Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
b+e added it
May 21, 2014
Kayla Hollis
Kayla Hollis marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Emma marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014