Start by marking “Humanism: A Very Short Introduction” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Humanism: A Very Short...

Stephen Law

Humanism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #256)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Religion is currently gaining a much higher profile. The number of faith schools is increasingly, and religious points of view are being aired more frequently in the media. As religion's profile rises, those who reject religion, including humanists, often find themselves misunderstood, and occasionally misrepresented.

Stephen Law explores how humanism uses science and reas
Published January 27th 2011 by OUP Oxford (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Humanism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humanism

David
Jun 22, 2014 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I don't like the term 'atheism' (though at other times I'm a staunch defender). I decided to look for another 'ism' with which to label myself.

At first glance, you might expect this book to be about humanism. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Roughly 90% of this book is dedicated to raising easily dismissible religious arguments (for morality, meaning of life, political philosophy, education, etc.), and then dismissing them. Almost no time is spent looking at more complex religious a
Iosephus Bibliothecarius
Dec 31, 2012 Iosephus Bibliothecarius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Presents the central ideas of Humanism in a logical, accessible, and succinct fashion.
Michael
Jul 21, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
"Man is the measure of all things." -Protagoras

Humanism is the belief that there is no supernatural--no gods, demons, or spirits--and that it is the primacy of man, not God or religion, that will lead human beings toward a more meaningful life. Science, reason, the lessons of history, ethical and moral thinking, philosophy, and common sense are better guides for us than are revealed texts like the Bible, religious traditions, or beliefs in divine powers waiting to judge us, strike us down, or re
Oscar
Feb 28, 2013 Oscar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little introduction to Humanist ethics and worldview.
Kat
I have heard a lot of really excellent things about the Very Short Introduction series, and I happened across this one at my university's library.

Humanism is a topic with which I only had the very faintest familiarity, so I'm pretty sure it was a good topic with which I could start. Essentially, I knew that humanism is sometimes used as a synonym for atheism. Essentially, I was right; it didn't take very long to describe the meaning of humanism, so the majority of the book was taken up with the
Simon
This is a very good introduction to humanism (also called secular humanism).

But I don't know why the writing gave me the impression it was written hastily. Some sections seem to have been summarized a bit too much, but that may be understandable given the format of this nice series from Oxford (A Very Short Introduction Series). I would still recommend the book as an introduction for the subject.
Dadi
Jun 16, 2014 Dadi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing read. Conflates atheism with humanism and gives no real indication that humanism is anything other than an anti-thesis to religion. It might have been called "ATHEISM: A Very Short Introduction" and I would've been immensely satisfied.
Neil Denham
The first chapter was informative, and the last 3 chapters on ethics and ceremonies did shed some light on what Humanism is about, sadly the bulk of the book is the authors own arguments for atheism (or more accurately against religion) and Humanism in this book is termed in the negative, whereas I was more interested in what it actually IS. A letdown in the usually brilliant short introductions series.
Jan Schoehuijs
Beetje een misser.
Had meer een uitleg over humanisme verwacht, maar het werd een cursus godsdienst pootje lichten.
Nicole DePace
Mar 08, 2015 Nicole DePace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview. Provided insight and framework for humanist worldview.
David
Feb 26, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A good overview of Humanism.
Solveig
Jun 05, 2015 Solveig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, non-fiction
Quite similar to the Atheism book in this series with counter arguments to the need for god for morals, and other common arguments against non-theism.
Hans Ollaiver
Kort om Humanism. Inbunden. Brun.
Serena Andrews
Dec 07, 2013 Serena Andrews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Educational good read
David Milligan
David Milligan marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Meena Al-Obaydi
Meena Al-Obaydi marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Astromach
Astromach marked it as to-read
Cam
Cam is currently reading it
Rania
Rania marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Leonardo
Leonardo is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2016
Elana
Elana marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Nashat Nimer
Nashat Nimer marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
DrosoPHila
DrosoPHila marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Jade Giacoppo
Jade Giacoppo marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Lia
Lia rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2016
Heather Orton
Heather Orton marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
  • Ancient Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction
  • Atheism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Fundamentalism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Descartes: A Very Short Introduction
Stephen Law is a philosopher who teaches at Heythrop College in the University of London. He also edits the journal THINK, a source of philosophy aimed at the general public, affiliated with The Royal Institute of Philosophy.
More about Stephen Law...

Very Short Introductions (1 - 10 of 448 books)
  • A Very Short Introduction to Everything