Start by marking “Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)” as Want to Read:
Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)

Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge #3)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  454 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Cynthia Rylant uses clear poetic language to reveal the specialness that the friendship of a boy and his dog bring to every new day. Full-color illustrations.
Published April 1st 1998 by Simon Spotlight (first published September 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Henry and Mudge in the Green Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry and Mudge in the Green Time

midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Chantelle
May 11, 2015 Chantelle rated it it was amazing
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series and were excited to find out what would happen as we started each one. Because my son was between 5-6 years old (he's an advanced reader) at the time, he easily identified with Henry and loved Mudge because (1) he desperately wanted a dog, and (2) Mudge's goofiness was endearing AND hilarious.

Read Aloud: Pre-K and Kindergarten
Introduces plot, character development, foreshadowing, and use of imagery.

Independent Reading: First or Seco
Amanda Deatherage
Mar 05, 2015 Amanda Deatherage rated it really liked it
Henry and Mudge in the Green Time is a story about a little boy and his dog doing things together. They have a picnic, take a bath, and pretend to be a king and a dragon. The pictures are very pretty and are made up of very soft and soothing colors. I also think little kids would enjoy the images of the dog covered in bubbles, dressed up like a dragon, and running around a tree. It is a very cute dog and kids tend to love dogs. After reading the book I could ask students if they have a dog, or a ...more
Jennifer  Davis
Apr 15, 2015 Jennifer Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son just started reading chapter books, and I don't think he could have picked out a better one to start with. The story is great, and has colorful illustrations. The text is large and easy for younger readers. I was worried that when he started chapter books that he would panic, just due to the fact he is not use to them, and the idea of chapters. The chapters are short. To get him use to the idea , we broke it down to reading one chapter a night. In this book, their are only 3 chapters. He ...more
Maggie Burgess
Mar 05, 2016 Maggie Burgess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one with a second grader, and she loved it! She could read it successfully- definitely benefiting from some of the repetitive words. She giggled and enjoyed the silliness of the dragon, of Mudge shaking water all over Henry, etc. She was able to connect with her own experiences with her dog, etc.

Super simple for us adults, so it might be easy to assume there's not much to it, but again, I think kids absolutely love these books. This girl certainly did!
Donna
Mar 23, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Fun, short stories about a boy and his dog that are nice early readers. These are harder than Elephant and Piggie but easier than a true chapter book. The three stories are not sequential, so each one can stand alone.
Shay
May 20, 2015 Shay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I liked it because of their imagination.
Pauline
Apr 30, 2014 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for young children.
Jennifer Heise
Summer for a dog and his boy offers lots of fun in this three chapter book, and my seven year old and I enjoyed reading about their partnership and laughing at some silliness (like Henry washing Mudge, then Mudge shaking his damp fur all over Henry, so that Henry needs to use the towel he had for Mudge on himself).
My early reader hasn't read these to himself but enjoyed reading with me.
Jill
May 03, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
Still a great read for early learners and this one is set in the summer. The story has a lot of humor and is sweet at the same time. Once again, the illustrations are bright and vivid and students will love it. I feel as though readers will love reading these stories and feel as though they can try to tackle them on their own.
Turrean
The perfect easy reader. Made an ideal read aloud for end-of-the-year story time for pre-K.
Natasha Friegang
Apr 13, 2013 Natasha Friegang rated it it was amazing
I love all of these books. The Kindergarten kids love the fact that they are chapter books. There is a level of adult humor that goes on, so they aren't boring to read aloud. The characters are sweet and it's fun that this is part of a series, which kids love too.
Mimi
Oct 07, 2012 Mimi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-children
Jill and I were able to discuss after reading this book about how I don't want her to pick the flowers in our garden, and how I want her to "just let them grow" just like Henry's mom advised him. When the flowers stay on the plant everyone gets to enjoy them!
Alaina Sloo
May 15, 2013 Alaina Sloo rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful Cynthia Rylant early reader series, much enjoyed by kids kindergarten through 2d grade. Sweet, gentle stories about the relationship between a boy and his very big dog. Many kids love them, but boys seem to gravitate toward them most.
Shauna
Mar 11, 2010 Shauna rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Branson is reading these in his reading group at school. They are simple, but help him maintain his vocabulary. He is reading books at higher levels than this, but they are a good way for him to get AR points.
Dolly
Jul 25, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with their children
This is a good book for beginning readers, about Henry and his dog, Mudge. Our girls really enjoy these stories and we love all of Cynthia Rylant's books.
Christy
Nov 30, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader
brHenry and his 180-pound dog Mudge are best friends forever. And in this third book of their adventures, they share summertime fun!
Nora
Apr 27, 2011 Nora rated it liked it
MCL. I liked the last part when they fell asleep on the hill.
Dana Johnson
Dec 17, 2012 Dana Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-310-1
Great for children to start getting into chapter books.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
They climb a hill. N.L.
Krysten
Krysten rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Miranda-Hermione
Miranda-Hermione rated it liked it
Ah To
Ah To rated it it was amazing
Mohamad Ali
Mohamad Ali rated it it was ok
Kaylyn
Kaylyn marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Madhu
Madhu marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Viola Vela
Viola Vela rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Arish Punjwani
Arish Punjwani rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Bethany Robinson
Bethany Robinson marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Froggy Plays T-ball
  • Oliver
  • Super Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #2)
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Way Comes (Mercy Watson #6)
  • Dragon's Merry Christmas
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Bob and Otto
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Lost Tooth (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3)
  • Dodsworth in New York
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Henry and Mudge (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble (Henry and Mudge, #2)
  • Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge, #4)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Sparkle Days (Henry and Mudge, #5)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea (Henry and Mudge, #6)
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test (Henry and Mudge, #10)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge, #11)