Start by marking “The Last American Martyr” as Want to Read:
The Last American Martyr

The Last American Martyr

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Tom Soles was just an unemployed doorman when he wrote a book that rocked the nation. Entitled ‘Enough is Enough’ it was his commentary on the socioeconomic pitfalls of America. Working folks adored it; the upper echelon hated it. Either way it was viewed, it became a best seller and won him the Nobel Prize for Literature.

When we first meet Tom, he is using an assumed nam
Published (first published August 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Last American Martyr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last American Martyr

Nancy Houston Fields
Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! Thomas Soles has just been awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature for his book detailing the greed, corruption and power of the major corporations. His book has laid bare the facts concerning the destruction of the Middle Class of America, pointing the fingers of blame on the rich who are calling all the shots and trampling underfoot anyone who isn't them. Enlightening as it is, those at the top are not happy at being exposed and will stop at nothing to get revenge. ...more
Joan Winnek
NOT Tim Winton.
I couldn't read more than a couple of chapters. Awful writing, flat characters, goody-goody philosophy.
No more freebies for me!
Lee
Thought it was a really interesting book and sadly, too possible. Deceptively simple. A lot to think about.
Tom Elder
Tom Winton. WOW.
The Last American Martyr.
This story will have you riveted to your seat, Tom Soles was unemployed when he wrote Enough is Enough and this book took the world by storm. He went on to win the Nobel Prize, but this was just the start of a journey that will have you screaming at your kindle. Tom goes on the run or lam as it's called in the USA. Follow his desperate flee for peace for himself and his wife. Tom Winton is fast becoming an author whom you must read, I certainly am looking
Bob
Thomas Soles is a 59 year old doorman from New York City who has written a book titled “Enough is Enough” that lays bare the inequality between the middle and lower classes and the big corporations, banks and entrepreneurs that garners bestseller status and a Nobel Prize for literature. Well accepted by the lower classes and hated by the upper, Thomas and his wife return home from Stockholm to find there old rent controlled apartment has been the scene of an attack of a disgusting kind. Thomas, ...more
Sean Endress
Taken from my Amazon review

Winton's "The Last American Martyr" takes on a powerfully difficult task from the get-go. A first person narrative, wrapped up in another first person narrative, can leave some audiences lost, especially when the first person voice is often notoriously tricky to write in. Indeed, when switching from one perspective to another, formatting problems within the ebook initially left me confused, but I quickly grew accustomed, especially since there wasn't much switching aro
Stacey Danson
Book Review: “The Last American Martyr” By Tom Winton.

When I reviewed the authors first book “Beyond Nostalgia” I said that ‘Tom Winton writes with a pen dipped in his soul’. I wasn’t wrong or overtly throwing compliments away; I meant it.

This his second book only serves to enhance that point in my opinion.

Tom Winton’s writing is a delicious, complex, parcel of ordinary folks in extraordinary situations.

You are teased into smiling at the insights into his characters motivations, horrified by t
Margaret Millmore
In all honesty, I am not a fan of books with political slants to them, the media does that enough, and when I read, I want to be taken away from all that. However Mr. Winton does a beautiful and eloquent job of setting up the reasons for his character's distress without shoving politics down your throat. This is a great story that keeps the reader enthralled and wanting to know more. His journey was horrible and the ending was spectacular. I've read other books by Mr. Winton and I loved them. Do ...more
David Powell
I think this is a wonderful book, and my biggest problem writing this review is not to give away too much of the plot.

A postman helps save the life of an older man, a recluse, living deep in the forests of New England. But all is not as it seems and as the postman recognizes who he has saved he is allowed to read a memoire written by this hermit.

Once a Nobel Prize winner for a book that has shaken not only the USA but most of the Western world the rescued man is now on the run.

Any more would giv
Christoph Fischer
"The Last Americn Martyr" by Tom Winton is an excellently written story about a Nobel Prize winning author. Thomas Soles has stirred up huge responses with his book about social injustice but while his uncompromising honesty get shim plenty of applaus from some, big businesses and profiteers are threatening him and might just succeed in making him a martyr.
The story is told by Soles's postman who meets the author in his hideout and who receives his unplublished memoir to read.

The book is a grea
Mary Plunkett
Good suspenseful read that kept me glued. This is my first read from this author.
Nice diversion from the typical mystery plot. Story-telling was like sitting across the table from the character, which I enjoyed.
Storyline is relative to our economy, but understandable and not boring. You may not agree with his views, but it gets you thinking and invokes a mental response.
Just enough romance --I really enjoyed the ending--well done!
Ann
This book was a surprising find as a freebie (or cheapie) on Amazon. I loved it. The whole premise was fascinating, written mostly as a memoir. Tom Winton writes with simple clean language (been a fan of that since my Kurt Vonnegut days). One of my new favorite writers. Now I'm reading his new one, Four Days with Hemingway's Ghost. I think this Winton guy is going places.
Cathy
Tom Soles writes a definitive book on the financial crisis in this country. He wins a Nobel Prize. When he and his wife return from Stockholm he finds himself hunted. Tom and his wife buy an RV and set out to hide from the world.
Wonderfully done. Surprise ending. This is an excellent story.
Robbie
This was an excellent book! Good development of characters, thought-provoking, action-packed, read-in-one-sitting kind of book. I highly recommend it. Jim finished this on 1-19-14 and didn't feel quite as enthusiastic as I did. He rated it 4 stars.
Marlene
i couldnt put it down. i wanted to know this mans whole story and i didnt want anything left out! great ending
Judy
Really enjoyed this book. Unfortunately, I think this is what the
country is coming to.
Somogranny
This book was well developed and kept me interested. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Peggy
Fantastic! Loved this book.
Chuck Heikkinen
A man writes a book about the unequal distribution of wealth in the world and the power of the wealthy to keep amassing fortunes at the expense of the common man. He wins the Nobel Prize and is subsequently persecuted by people of all backgrounds for not loving the American way of life. The story proceeds with several unexpected turns.
Terry Lee
Well worth the read. Am beginning to understand the soul of this author. Read Beyond Nostalgia first and spent most of the day today reading...which I never do, but I couldn't get away from the story. The only disturbance was the reminder of how much hatred there is in this country.
Peace by the journey...
Michael Lawing
The political and economic beliefs are not at all inline with my own, which sometimes makes a better read, but it is still a fantastic book, would suggest it to everyone.
Sandy
An easy read

Interesting, but full of holes. Would recommend only if you want something entertaining to pass the time. Fine for a free book.
Jean
The first book is The Last American Martyr by Tom Winton. This is a story about a man who sets out to make a difference, a great idea for a book. A very liberal story where a simple man issues a call to arms that goes round the world. As a liberal minded person, I was excited to read this book based on the reviews. However, I found the writing tedious, long-winded and over the top even for a Baby Boomer like myself. I struggled through eight chapters before I through in the towel and cried uncle ...more
Carol
A free download for Kindle... was better than most. I liked the way the story evolved from the perspective of the mailman to the story of the writer. i read much of this while traveling in my RV... and it the midst of political bombardment during an election year...perhaps these circumstances made it more realistic. At first I wished the story would have ended a couple pages earlier, then found that i was still pondering twists that were left unsolved. I like a book that keeps you thinking about ...more
Cici Conger-portie
Rating this as a 3.5. The story started out great - it was fast moving and kept me engaged. About halfway through the book, though, it felt like I felt as a child driving from Little Rock, AR, through Kansas on our way to Denver. No action, no thoughts, just hot and boring. I had to put the book down.
Lorna
Got this by mistake on Kindle - thought it was a Tim Winton!! Nothing like it but it was ok if a bit naive and contrived at times. In the end I thought it deserved something positive to be said. He writes well and his characters and perhaps he too are idealists.
Mary
I wanted to like this book, I really did. It just didn't really grab my attention. It wasn't terrible, since I managed to finish it, but I did nearly put it aside out of boredom a few times. I guess I was expecting more; as it is I am left with a feeling of "So what?"
Maureen
Poorly written, unsympathetic characters and far too preachy. I was sorry I wasted my time reading it. If I want to read opinions on how bad capitalism is, I'll just look at the newspaper.
Karen Stark
An amazing story...It is moving and could happen today or tomorrow to someone out there who has the courage to speak out against our corporate society...
  • The Volunteer
  • The Night Of Knives
  • Willow Pond
  • Covert Dreams: An International Thriller
  • Ballistic
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #2)
  • Inheritance
  • No One to Hear You Scream
  • Lethal Circuit (Michael Chase #1)
  • Accountable to None (Eviscerating the Snake, #1)
  • The Amun Chamber
  • Bewitching You (Bewitching Women #1)
Tom Winton has been listed as one of Amazon's top 100 "Most Popular Authors" in both Literary Fiction and Mystery, Suspense and Thrillers.

Born and raised in New York City, Tom has done everything from working on a railroad gang in the Colorado Rockies to driving a taxicab in Manhattan. He has also been a mailman, a salesman, an entrepreneur and more. Now retired, he lives in Florida, with his wif
More about Tom Winton...
Four Days with Hemingway's Ghost Beyond Nostalgia Within a Man's Heart A Second Chance in Paradise The Voice of Willie Morgan and Two Other Short Stories