Start by marking “Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)” as Want to Read:
Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)

Bad Love (Alex Delaware #8)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  6,452 ratings  ·  158 reviews
It starts with a tape delivered to psychologist Alex Delaware's house - a recording of a soul-sickening scream followed by a twisted, childlike voice chanting 'Bad love. Bad love. Don't give me the bad love...' Alex heard that phrase a decade ago, at a symposium for Dr Andres de Bosch and his work with troubled teens, why is he hearing it now? Then there are strange phone ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Love

Kathleen Hagen
In this one, Alex Delaware receives a tape in the mail with a horrific scream on it, and then a child’s robotic voice repeating: “bad love, bad love, don’t give me that bad love.” Alex is horrified by the tape which comes in a plain envelope with no identifying names, addresses or even fingerprints, but he then remembers that back in 1979 he was involved in a conference which he co-chaired, unwillingly, including in its title, the words “bad love”. It involved the theories of a particular psycho ...more
aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot)
This book was totally awesome! I'd have given it five stars except for one plot device that ultimately was all wrong - the tape of screaming that Delaware is sent at the beginning of the book. As the plot knits together chapter by chapter - did I mention how awesome this story is? - I realized by the very exciting, adrenalin drenched, action ending that this beginning is the single wrong note for how this murderer would have begun his contact with the good doctor. However, I think most readers w ...more
Ann Jenelle Rotol
I never really am a fan of mystery/thriller novels. But this book, Bad Love is an exception. Because if you add - even a bit - of psychology in it, then, I will love it! LOL. And I must say, that the psychological aspect here is surprisingly great. Though, don't get me wrong. Even those people who don't have a background in psychology will not be at lost. Some of the terms are layman's. And psychology isn't really the focus here, so... XD

Anyhow, this is a great read for the mind. Like all myste
Kristen
If you love the earlier classic Alex Delaware novels, this one is another good mystery from Jonathan Kellerman. It started with a child's voice on a tape, mentioning about "bad love." That sends Alex on a journey all over California, searching for answers, while he works on another deposition for another case, when it gets heated up. We watch when Alex discovers the connection between the symposium and the murders that happened over the years. And then he realized his life is endangered as the l ...more
Kay
This one will keep you on edge. A madman has Alex in his sights, forcing Alex and Robin to move from their home. As Alex and Milo get closer to the killer they discover a series of murders that span years. This killer has been patient in his revenge, but he's excalating and now Alex fears for Robin's safety and his own life. Great read! Loveable Spike enters Alex and Robin's life, and this is the book where their home is burnt to the ground.
Eyna
This was the reason I hang around our college library during free time.
Since hardcover books can't be brought home, I remember always hiding
this book in an open-shelves area that's not frequently visited by students,
so no one gets hold of it while I'm still reading ^_^

One of the best psychological suspense books I've read with intricately woven plots.

I feel some bad love for licorice sticks.
Sharon Michael
A very competently written book in the series. Kellerman can usually be counted on to produce a good, readable mystery and this is no exception. Good plotline with a convoluted backstory that held my interest. Also, as a dog owner, I particularly like this one as the French Bulldog who becomes a member of the Alex Delaware story is introduced in this book.
Kj
I just love all his books & the growth of the characters. Alex & Milo never get boring & they grow. I wish they would make a movie so the picturenI have in my head of how they look compared to say how the author or whomever sees them. This was so eery because of that tape... suspenseful, never boring.
Ann Sheldon Mezger
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware novels are always so engrossing, they keep you reading late into the night. This one had a bit of a twist, with Delaware tracking down a psychopath so he himself doesn't become the next victim.
Anjie
Jonathan Kellerman has never disappointed me, and this was no exception! What a great story, and how he keep coming up with so plots is beyond me, but he does wonderful work. Another page-turner! Loved it!
Ge-Anne
Great book...very suspenseful and also a heartwrencher. Characters we've already gotten to know as well as the introduction of Spike. Don't miss this one!
Very good. I liked the part where Alex sent Robin off to stay with Rick and Milo until the issues from the previous case got resolved.
Kim
first Alex Delerware book I read. been hooked ever since.
chilling novel that's been in my head since I read it.
Denise Richardson martin
i absolutely loved this book and one saying in this book will forever be in your head stuck and replaying lol
J.W. Thompson
Took me awhile to figure the Bad Love angle out----great novel
Nanosynergy
Chris
Arathi
No second thoughts when it comes to buying a Jonathan Kellerman book!

Kellerman’s fav man, Alex Delaware does a stunning job in this book - with Milo Sturgis.

It came in a plain brown wrapper, no return address--an audiocassette recording of a horrifying, soul-lacerating scream, followed by the sound of a childlike voice chanting: "Bad love. Bad love. Don’t give me the bad love... ." For Alex Delaware the tape is the first intimation that he is about to enter a living nightmare. Others soon follo
J
I NEITHER HIDE, NOR FEED, MY REVIEWS. THEY MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

This is my second Kellerman novel. I' m really liking his work!

I love the device of seeing criminal investigation through the eyes of a child psychologist, Alex Delaware. All the criminal forensics are there, but the crimes at times are secondary to Delaware's puzzling through the relationships and motivations from which the crimes arise.

It's nice that Delaware is well-adjusted -- handsome and educated, but with a reasonable ego as
Cetta Hartman
I am making my way through the Alex Delaware novels as part of my mission to downsize my bookshelves. I've picked these up at library sales over the years. I really like the characters, which is what keeps me reading. This story didn't really do much for me, though. I wonder if the fact that they were written a while ago has anything to do with it - these are before cell phones and I find myself realizing just how spoiled we've become! Anyway. This wasn't one of my favorites, but it won't deter ...more
Ace
There have been a string of murders going back several years all related to a symposium co-hosted by Alex Delaware. And, now, it appears Alex has been targeted as the next victim. First published in 1994, I wouldn't normally read a novel from the pre-cellphone era, but someone passes this one on to me and I was short of reading material. Though it did make me miss the vibrating phones of modern day living, it was an engrossing tale from start to finish. Great read.
Judy
I am enjoying listening to Kellerman's books. Can't help wondering how much of himself he puts into what happens to Alex Delaware. We are introduced to a new character, a French Bulldog, in this book. We learn much about the dog and he plays such an integral part I the story, I suspect that the Kellermans own one. It give a lighter relief to some of the ugliness in the plot. I like it!
Tim
I don't know what went wrong with this book. I thought is was well written with a refreshing intellectual edge, but I just couldn't seem to get into it. Perhaps it was me just not being in the mood or the overly long descriptions and pace of book just not gelling with me. However, I'll definitely give another one of Kellermans books a try before I make up my mind.
Ed Schmidt
Alex receives a tape in a plain brown envelope, no return address. On the tape is heard a horrifying scream and a child-like voice repeating 'Bad love, bad love". With Milo's help, Alex learns of several violent deaths, all possibly related to a symposium co-chaired by Alex and the deaths of many of the speakers and organizers of the symposium. And it looks like Alex is on the list.
Kara
Twists and turns with an ending I never saw coming. Not as much psychoanalysis as some of his books, which improved it in my opinion. I've come to expect it since he is a psychologist but it's nice that it took more of a backseat role this time. I still love everything he writes and will be back for more of the further adventures of Dr. Delaware.
Brandi Mclean
Compared to other Alex Delaware books, I felt that this particular one dragged around in circles. I also felt like certain pieces of the story introduced at the beginning of the story served insignificant throughout the rest of the story. By far, my least favorite Kellerman book.
Valerie
Another great psychological thriller from Jonathan Kellerman!

It starts out with a package containing a cassette tape in which Alex hears horrific screaming, and then a flat, child-like voice repeating the phrase, "Bad love. Bad love. Don't give me the bad love." Other harassment soon follows. Soon Alex and Milo are trying to figure out the "logic" of a psychopath as they sort through a series of violent deaths, with Alex as the next intended victim. The plot twists and turns and kept me guessin
alhafizol
This one is a total disaster for me. It is hard to pinpoint which part of this book is good enough except for the adorable dog. In my opinion, the premise is quite ok but the way the story is delivered is a total mess and confusing. Being too descriptive sometimes can kill the readers' mood, and that is what happened to this book. In addition, a total lack of intensity of adrenaline rush effects and a slow-paced storyline made me put away this book for quite a number of times. Furthermore, I thi ...more
Sharon Eudy Neufeld
I love a good "whodunnit?" don't you? A whodunnit is a mystery in which the identity of the evildoer is unknown. There should be a gradual unfolding of clues and perhaps more crime. The denouement should, ideally, be short and sweet.

This eighth installment of Alex Delaware adventures presents the sympathetic child psychologist in a position of personal danger. The suspense builds and builds. There are children in danger and a motorcycle gang and a psychotic killer-but he's dead. So Alex has to t
Jan Dillon
I had a pretty good idea whom the killer was as soon as the character was introduced. But the story kept my interest for the most part. Not my favorite Kellerman novel but I'd still recommend it.
  • Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #10)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • The Soul Collector
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)
  • The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)
When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1) Deception (Alex Delaware, #25) Victims (Alex Delaware, #27) Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5) Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)