Start by marking “Barefoot in the Park” as Want to Read:
Barefoot in the Park

Barefoot in the Park

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  3,669 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Comedy / 4m, 2f / Int. Paul and Corie Bratter are newlyweds in every sense of the word. He's a straight-as-an-arrow lawyer and she's a free spirit always looking for the latest kick. Their new apartment is her most recent find-too expensive with bad plumbing and in need of a paint job. After a six day honeymoon, they get a surprise visit from Corie's loopy mother and decid ...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Samuel French, Inc. (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Barefoot in the Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barefoot in the Park

Hamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Crucible by Arthur Miller
Best Play Ever
71st out of 441 books — 395 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseySlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best Books of the Decade: 1960's
234th out of 762 books — 1,181 voters

More lists with this book...

Arezu Wishka
Jan 14, 2016 Arezu Wishka rated it really liked it
مامان: ... خیلی ساده ست. فقط باید یه بخش کوچیک خودتو به اون اختصاص بدی. همه چی رو بازی فرض نکن. فقط آخرای شب تو اون اتاق کوچیک بالای پلهها جای بازیگوشیه. ازش مراقبت کن و بذار حس کن آدم مهمیه. اگه بتونی از پس این کار بربیای زندگی شاد و بینظیری در انتظارته.
چالش یه زوج عاشق، دو آدم با دو تیپ شخصیتی متفاوت. یکی دچار کمال گرایی و نداشتن توانایی برای با فراغ بال تفریح کردن و اون یکی ماجراجو و ریسکی و پش
This was thoroughly enjoyable and far too short. The cast was fantastic and perfect for this Neil Simon's timeless story.
Jan 29, 2016 Amanda added it
Recommends it for: saps, lunatics, and generally giddy folk
Recommended to Amanda by: oh, you know... people.
Shelves: plays
5 stars for the great mood I'm in right now. This play is just plain silliness, which normally doesn't float my boat. But man, oh, man, today it just hit the spot. We meet this young newlywed couple. She's happy-go-lucky and he's... Well, he's a lawyer. And a real stuffed- shirt. And in the face of a tiny Manhattan apartment with a hole in the skylight and reversed plumbing, their 2 week old marriage falls apart! But not to worry--they get back together. (Don't bitch about spoilers, people. Firs ...more
Feb 11, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama-poetry
Paul and Corie Bratter have been married just six days when they move into their first home together - an apartment five floors up (six, if you count the stoop) with a broken skylight (in winter), no furniture, and no bathtub. About the only thing that works is the phone. Paul is conservative, down to earth, and sensible. Corie is his total opposite - happy, extroverted, and fun loving. She sees the best in everything and everyone.

Oh, the neighbor in the attic (Victor Velasco) has to climb thro
May 08, 2012 Kat rated it liked it
Shelves: plays, 2012, romantical
Basic Plot: Paul and Corie are two newlyweds trying to figure each other out and make their brand-new marriage work despite their personal differences.

This play was cute, but is getting to be considerably dated. As it was first performed in 1963 (and was written for that time period), I think that marriage is a bit different today. Paul and Corie hardly seem to know what they've gotten into by marrying each other. Paul is shocked by Corie's adventurousness, and she is annoyed by his conservatism
Jan 12, 2016 Sanjaaab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
کوری: منم عاشقشم فقط نمیدونم چی میخواد. نمیدونم چطوری میتونم خوشحالش کنم. وای مامان، چی کار باید بکنم؟
Lindsay Wilson
Jul 20, 2016 Lindsay Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
Yeah, okay. I get why people like this play. It's charming and reasonably funny, but it's also gotten very dated, particularly in terms of gender roles. And if we're being honest here, Corie is kind of a huge baby, no? She and Paul have their first and only fight and she's hysterically shrieking about wanting a divorce and then doesn't let up about it til the play is basically over. It's hard to sympathize with her when Paul is being so reasonable and she's losing her shit. I also had a hard tim ...more
Oct 08, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
I picked the perfect time of year to read this cozy, funny little play about a couple just beginning to carve out their new lives together as newlyweds. I love autumn in NY!
Leah Angstman
Aug 07, 2015 Leah Angstman rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of plays from the 50s-80s era, slightly outdated
While the play is a little outdated, the humor and the obviously great wit of Neil Simon are not. This is a fantastic romantic comedy of opposites attract, with intelligent humor and interesting characters. The quick premise is that a couple, after knowing each other only 6 days, impulsively get married and move into a brownstone in New York, where they quickly discover that they didn't know each other so well. This means disaster, of course, but don't fear; since it is a comedy, the disaster is ...more
Jun 24, 2013 Sheri rated it really liked it
Shelves: play
I liked this better than Arsenic and Old Lace, but it is also quite dated. I disagree with some that the Corie character is a complete airhead. I think she is very self centered, but I think there is some growth to the part. Mother (obviously) develops throughout; Victor is the male counterpoint to Corie (only when faced with a problem does he realize his own limitations) and Paul does not really change much. I have not seen it live, but I think would find it entertaining.
Jul 26, 2014 Alana rated it liked it
This was a fun, quirky little tale essentially about the first real fight between a newlywed couple. Funny, ridiculous in points, and just enough to make you appreciate the relationships in your life. Not a classic by any means, but a short, interesting read, and I'm sure a fun comedy to see on stage.
Czarny Pies
Nov 18, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: The Redford Fonda movie is charming in many spots.
Recommended to Czarny by: It was my mother's turn to host the bridge club so she sent me to the movie theatre to watch it.
Neil Simon was a great master of summer stock or dinner theatre. He always created a group of likeable characters belonging or closely attached to a family going through a trivial crisis that would be resolved to the satisfaction of all by the end of the play. His dialogues were superb. The pace was brisk and everyone in the audience felt jolly at the end. One should certainly never read a Neil Simon play but there are occasions when his light humour hits the spot.

I rather enjoyed seeing the mov
Nov 02, 2015 Cassie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: classic theatre fans, rom-coms
Recommended to Cassie by: hoopla
An American classic comedy. It's a little dated, but still pretty entertaining. The audiobook I listened to had Laura Linney as Corie, and I think it was a perfect match.
Rachel Swords
Aug 14, 2011 Rachel Swords rated it it was ok
Kind of hard to like this play since Corie is such an airhead. I guess one has to see it fully performed to enjoy the whole thing.
Jun 30, 2015 Amara rated it really liked it
Oh this was good! It was an Audible sale version, and I just loved it. Neil Simon does dialog that lives.
Sachin Gopal
Jun 23, 2015 Sachin Gopal rated it really liked it
On a tired evening, this book with a coffee is going to cheer you up like none. A very good read.
Jan 09, 2016 maryam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
پابرهنه در پارک برشی از زندگی یک زوج جوان است که چند روزی بیشتز از ازدواجشان نمیگذرد. زوجی که ظاهرا در یک نگاه عاشق هم شدهاند و تصمیم به زندگی گرفتهاند و هیچ از ازدواج و حتا از همدیگر نمیدانند و فقط آتششان تند است. اما زندگی واقعی و قرار گرفتن زیر یک سقف، اختلافات و مشکلات اساسیتری را پدید میآورد. نمایشنامه ، با ریتم تند و جذاب و با لایههایی از طنز، وضعیت مضحک این زوج جوان را به خوبی به تصویر میکشد. همچنین با شرح کامل تک تک صحنهها به تصویرسازی خواننده بسیار کمک میکند. با این حال خیلی دوست دارم ر ...more
Sep 05, 2015 Shima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من نمایش نامه خون نیستم تئاتر بینم، تنها رلیلم برای خواندن این کتاب این بود که آن را از دوست عزیزی کادو گرفتم
و به طرز خوشایندی سورپرایز شدم! فکر می کنم اولین نمایشنامه ای بود که بدون این که از جایم بلند شوم تمام کردم
کوتاه است و وقت زیادی نمی گیرد اما شخصیت ها به طرز عجیبی زنده و اتفاق های روزمره هیجان انگیز می شوند. بعید است موقع خواندن این شخصیت ها شمارا یاد خورتان یا ادم های اطرافتان نیدازند
اگر به اندازه ی من در کادو گرفتن این کتاب خوش شانس نیستید پیشنهاد می کنم حتما آن را بخرید تا لااقل با خ
Dec 10, 2011 Susannah rated it really liked it
Deceptively simple; deceptively complex. Easy to see why this was such a hit!
Eric Mikols
Jan 15, 2012 Eric Mikols rated it really liked it
Shelves: scripts
I fell in love with this play in the first act. I thought it was fast, funny, and smart with some great character moments. The role of Corie is a lot of fun; she's completely in love and naive. Paul couldn't be anymore of a nerd but there's an endearing nature to his stuffiness, as long as you realize he just doesn't get it. The other, smaller roles are nice touches with the telephone repair man really owning his moments.
However, like Corie and her realization of marriage, my honeymoon stage wit
Ahmad Sharabiani
Barefoot in the park,
عنوان: «پابرهنه در پارک [نمایشنامه]»، اثر: «نیل سایمون ()»؛ برگردان: «شهرام زرگر ()، و رامین ناصرنصیر ()»، نشر: «تهران، نیلا، چاپ نخست ، در 124 ص»، فروست: «قلمرو هنر؛ »، ناظر: «حمید امجد ()»، شابک: 964-6900-52-6، موضوع: نمایشنامه آمریکایی-- قرن م.

نمایشنامه بر محور یک زوج جوان به اسم «کوری» و «پل» است. آنها تازه یک خانه کوچک و قدیمی را، در طبقه پنجم کرایه کردهاند. تمرکز داستان بیشتر بر روی روابط بین آدمها و نگاه آنها به زندگی است. نقل از کتاب: «مادر الان حالم خوب میشه... فق
I am a huge fan of the 1967 film adaptation of Neil Simon's play: Barefoot in the Park: A Comedy in Three Acts but I had never actually read the play itself before or seen it performed live. I listened to the audio version of Barefoot in the Park: A Comedy in Three Acts, which was read by Laura Linney and Eric Stoltz, and I just loved it! The audiobook sounded like a recorded performance of some kind as there was applause heard between the three acts. This story is a classic and is a great mood- ...more
Daniel Ziegelbauer
Feb 01, 2015 Daniel Ziegelbauer rated it liked it
Another fun read by Neil Simon in the typical tradition of peeling apart modern humanity and the troubles we usually create and transforming it into an entertaining event. This time relationships are at the core and the author doesn't miss. Shedding light on the trials of maintaining a bond and the efforts it takes from each perspective. Fun, witty, smart. I enjoyed this book/play.
Kylie Funk Kramer
Apr 23, 2016 Kylie Funk Kramer rated it really liked it
A perfect text if you're short on time, but want to think and laugh. Amazing how relationships and the ups and downs that come with them are timeless. Simon's characters are perfect! So
Many brilliant one-liners. The story can be enjoyed for its surface value but also to get us thinking about ourselves, our society and our future. So good!
Sep 14, 2016 Elise rated it it was amazing
Received a copy of this script from my college theater program yesterday as we are putting on a production of it this fall and I am part of the cast! I had also never herd of this play before or even knew what it was about until I read the script. I enjoyed how funny this play was it was a great read!
Sep 12, 2016 Jesse rated it really liked it
Just as funny as his other productions, Barefoot in the Park illustrates the struggles of a newlywed couple behind the romance that everyone seems to only see. A great story coupled with Simon's somehow clairvoyant sense of what the audience needs makes for a fantastic script like this one.
Apr 12, 2015 Pinky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-15
I love Neil Simon. This was the best antidote to the stress I felt after reading The Odd Couple. This play features a different kind of odd couple. Newly weds living in a 5th floor walk-up - wife is spontaneous and husband is an uptight lawyer. Sweet and funny.
Sep 23, 2014 Brendan rated it really liked it
This story had me smiling with delight, especially during the argument in the second act. It did make me bemoan simple stories with complicated sets. I mean, this set isn't horribly complex, but the skylight could give low budget amateur theatre fits.
Marcus J.
Aug 04, 2016 Marcus J. rated it really liked it
Oh how I used to love Neil Simon's work. Unparalleled. But now, in 2016, the age of Aaron Sorkin - fast dialogue, underplayed punchlines, subtle nuance..Neil Simon's style seems to have dated and ways freshening. Still love The Sunshine Boys tho.
Ken Davis
Jun 08, 2016 Ken Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-completed
This was a wonderfully entertaining play and I found myself smiling and laughing at all the right moments. I recommend a good audio book version so that the play can be enjoyed with out the distraction of reading stage direction.
Books2Movies Club: Barefoot in the Park 6 34 Jul 26, 2014 05:00PM
  • A Walk in the Woods.
  • Harvey
  • Crimes of the Heart
  • Agnes of God
Marvin Neil Simon is an American playwright and screenwriter. He is one of the most reliable hitmakers in Broadway history, as well as one of the most performed playwrights in the world. Though primarily a comic writer, some of his plays, particularly the Eugene Trilogy and The Sunshine Boys, reflect on the twentieth century Jewish-American experience.
More about Neil Simon...