Start by marking “Barefoot in the Park” as Want to Read:
Barefoot in the Park

Barefoot in the Park

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  2,999 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Comedy / 4m, 2f / Int. Paul and Corie Bratter are newlyweds in every sense of the word. He's a straight-as-an-arrow lawyer and she's a free spirit always looking for the latest kick. Their new apartment is her most recent find-too expensive with bad plumbing and in need of a paint job. After a six day honeymoon, they get a surprise visit from Corie's loopy mother and decid ...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Samuel French Trade (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Barefoot in the Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barefoot in the Park

Hamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Crucible by Arthur Miller
Best Play Ever
77th out of 422 books — 366 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseySlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Best Books of the Decade: 1960's
242nd out of 648 books — 906 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Aug 15, 2010 Amanda added it
Recommends it for: saps, lunatics, and generally giddy folk
Recommended to Amanda by: oh, you know... people.
5 stars for the great mood I'm in right now. This play is just plain silliness, which normally doesn't float my boat. But man, oh, man, today it just hit the spot. We meet this young newlywed couple. She's happy-go-lucky and he's... Well, he's a lawyer. And a real stuffed- shirt. And in the face of a tiny Manhattan apartment with a hole in the skylight and reversed plumbing, their 2 week old marriage falls apart! But not to worry--they get back together. (Don't bitch about spoilers, people. Firs ...more
Kat
Basic Plot: Paul and Corie are two newlyweds trying to figure each other out and make their brand-new marriage work despite their personal differences.

This play was cute, but is getting to be considerably dated. As it was first performed in 1963 (and was written for that time period), I think that marriage is a bit different today. Paul and Corie hardly seem to know what they've gotten into by marrying each other. Paul is shocked by Corie's adventurousness, and she is annoyed by his conservatism
Lori
I picked the perfect time of year to read this cozy, funny little play about a couple just beginning to carve out their new lives together as newlyweds. I love autumn in NY!
Sheri
Jun 24, 2013 Sheri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: play
I liked this better than Arsenic and Old Lace, but it is also quite dated. I disagree with some that the Corie character is a complete airhead. I think she is very self centered, but I think there is some growth to the part. Mother (obviously) develops throughout; Victor is the male counterpoint to Corie (only when faced with a problem does he realize his own limitations) and Paul does not really change much. I have not seen it live, but I think would find it entertaining.
Alana
This was a fun, quirky little tale essentially about the first real fight between a newlywed couple. Funny, ridiculous in points, and just enough to make you appreciate the relationships in your life. Not a classic by any means, but a short, interesting read, and I'm sure a fun comedy to see on stage.
3/5
Czarny Pies
Nov 18, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The Redford Fonda movie is charming in many spots.
Recommended to Czarny by: It was my mother's turn to host the bridge club so she sent me to the movie theatre to watch it.
Neil Simon was a great master of summer stock or dinner theatre. He always created a group of likeable characters belonging or closely attached to a family going through a trivial crisis that would be resolved to the satisfaction of all by the end of the play. His dialogues were superb. The pace was brisk and everyone in the audience felt jolly at the end. One should certainly never read a Neil Simon play but there are occasions when his light humour hits the spot.

I rather enjoyed seeing the mov
Ahmad Sharabiani
Barefoot in the park,
عنوان: «پابرهنه در پارک [نمایشنامه]»، اثر: «نیل سایمون ()»؛ برگردان: «شهرام زرگر ()، و رامین ناصرنصیر ()»، نشر: «تهران، نیلا، چاپ نخست ، در 124 ص»، فروست: «قلمرو هنر؛ »، ناظر: «حمید امجد ()»، شابک: 964-6900-52-6، موضوع: نمایشنامه آمریکایی-- قرن م.

نمایشنامه بر محور یک زوج جوان به اسم «کوری» و «پل» است. آنها تازه یک خانه کوچک و قدیمی را، در طبقه پنجم کرایه کردهاند. تمرکز داستان بیشتر بر روی روابط بین آدمها و نگاه آنها به زندگی است. نقل از کتاب: «مادر الان حالم خوب میشه... فق
Rachel Swords
Kind of hard to like this play since Corie is such an airhead. I guess one has to see it fully performed to enjoy the whole thing.
Susannah
Deceptively simple; deceptively complex. Easy to see why this was such a hit!
Eric Mikols
I fell in love with this play in the first act. I thought it was fast, funny, and smart with some great character moments. The role of Corie is a lot of fun; she's completely in love and naive. Paul couldn't be anymore of a nerd but there's an endearing nature to his stuffiness, as long as you realize he just doesn't get it. The other, smaller roles are nice touches with the telephone repair man really owning his moments.
However, like Corie and her realization of marriage, my honeymoon stage wit
I am a huge fan of the 1967 film adaptation of Neil Simon's play: Barefoot in the Park: A Comedy in Three Acts but I had never actually read the play itself before or seen it performed live. I listened to the audio version of Barefoot in the Park: A Comedy in Three Acts, which was read by Laura Linney and Eric Stoltz, and I just loved it! The audiobook sounded like a recorded performance of some kind as there was applause heard between the three acts. This story is a classic and is a great mood- ...more
Daniel Ziegelbauer
Another fun read by Neil Simon in the typical tradition of peeling apart modern humanity and the troubles we usually create and transforming it into an entertaining event. This time relationships are at the core and the author doesn't miss. Shedding light on the trials of maintaining a bond and the efforts it takes from each perspective. Fun, witty, smart. I enjoyed this book/play.
Pinky
I love Neil Simon. This was the best antidote to the stress I felt after reading The Odd Couple. This play features a different kind of odd couple. Newly weds living in a 5th floor walk-up - wife is spontaneous and husband is an uptight lawyer. Sweet and funny.
Brendan
This story had me smiling with delight, especially during the argument in the second act. It did make me bemoan simple stories with complicated sets. I mean, this set isn't horribly complex, but the skylight could give low budget amateur theatre fits.
Megan Page
Read this for my acting class and I really enjoyed both reading and watching it! The only thing I didn't like was the ending... far too abrupt for me, but on the whole, delightful, charming, and thoroughly entertaining.
Boni
This work is so hilarious and enjoyable. Barefoot in the Park is the longest-running play of Neil Simon. It was adapted to fiim, which stars Jane Fonda and Robert Redford, who reprised his Broadway role.
Shawna Fuller
Cameron got some plays to read over the summer for theater class, and I'm enjoying them as well!! I had never read this one, even though I love Neil Simon. This was good!!
Mark
This was an audio version (a great way to listen to a play that takes place in a single apartment) that we listened to on a drive to L.A. Very fun.
Maggie
a delightful story that is a classic now ... this production is perfect ... laughter continues to catch me with neil simon's works. yay.
Kaethe
The classic story: stodgy young guy is saved my a manic pixie dreamgirl. I wonder if the classical Greeks wrote on this theme?
Amara
Oh this was good! It was an Audible sale version, and I just loved it. Neil Simon does dialog that lives.
Brandice
Short, cute read. The audio is a performance and the actors did a really great job. Glad I picked it up during an Audible promotion.
Medlibrarian
Cute, charming, light. Not great art by any means, but I enjoyed it.
Sachin Gopal
On a tired evening, this book with a coffee is going to cheer you up like none. A very good read.
Betsy
A little dated but a quick read, good for a few laughs.
Parichehr
Finding hidden desires of oneself
Melissa Railey
I've had this audiobook for years and never listened to it. What a waste! I've also never seen the movie so I had no clue what to expect. I laughed so hard listening to this play that anybody around me would have thought I was crazy. It was just so funny. The full cast production is spot on and every character is played to perfection. If you want a couple of hours of good fun laughs, listen to this audiobook.
Rachel Beeler
Very entertaining!
Apr 01, 2012 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: drama
A classic comedy! One that comes alive onstage, I bet, and shows the reader what a masterful comic dramatist Simon is; he takes the bare essentials -- a daffy couple, never-ending flights of stairs, a weirdo neighbor -- and builds up enough pressure to make divorce a actually possibility for our lovebirds. That's not something to be missed, and neither is his sharp, funny dialogue.
Books2Movies Club: Barefoot in the Park 6 33 Jul 26, 2014 05:00PM
  • Deathtrap
  • Burn This
  • The Little Foxes
  • Assassins
Marvin Neil Simon is an American playwright and screenwriter. He is one of the most reliable hitmakers in Broadway history, as well as one of the most performed playwrights in the world. Though primarily a comic writer, some of his plays, particularly the Eugene Trilogy and The Sunshine Boys, reflect on the twentieth century Jewish-American experience.
More about Neil Simon...