Start by marking “11 Experiments That Failed” as Want to Read:
11 Experiments That Failed

11 Experiments That Failed

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  738 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
"This is a most joyful and clever whimsy, the kind that lightens the heart and puts a shine on the day," raved Kirkus Reviews in a starred review.

Is it possible to eat snowballs doused in ketchup—and nothing else—all winter? Can a washing machine wash dishes? By reading the step-by-step instructions, kids can discover the answers to such all-important questions along with
Published September 27th 2011 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about 11 Experiments That Failed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 11 Experiments That Failed

Nov 14, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books

History with all its facts, dates, theories, and changes always inspired me to read, study, and learn as a kid. So my love and fascination with science experiments has always shocked me a bit. Now mind you—science class *snooze, bore, drool* rarely held my attention. (*Exception: The Periodical Table of Elements section always fascinated me. I researched every single element and property….Anywho) I mean the handmade, do around the house, hope the kitchen doesn’t blow up kind of experiments! Let’
Tasha
Oct 25, 2011 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A series of experiments take place in this book, each one funnier than the next. They attempt to answer questions like: Can a kid make it through the winter eating only snow and ketchup? Do dogs like to be covered in glitter? Will a piece of bologna fly like a Frisbee? The only way to find out is for the protagonist to test it scientifically. That means trying to eat only ketchup and snow and observing the results. Sprinkling her dog with glitter to see what happens. Testing flight capabilities ...more
Jessica
Jan 13, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, I thought that 11 Experiments That Failed would be about historical experiments that failed, like... uh, I can't even think of any. But you know what I mean. However, it turned out to be something a lot more whimsical and fun than that. It's about a nameless girl who performs 11 "science experiments." Each would be a stretch to call "experiments," given that the hypotheses are things like, "A kid can survive on a diet of snowballs and ketchup." But they're really fun and what's ...more
Valerie Barnhart
1. Rosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea Beaty copyright 2013. Twin text for celebration of achievement of inventors nonfiction set.

2. I selected this book to demonstrate the scientific method for students. It takes a look at a step-by-step process to reach the result. In relation to Rosie, students can determine whether or not the author of the 11 Experiments felt failure or had things turn out differently than expected. She didn't let failure of embarrassment stop her from trying things again.

3. Th
Amy
May 09, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My niece read this on her own over the weekend, and then we read it together today. I asked her what she thought of it, and she said, "I *loved* it! It was just great! And it was funny, and it also inspired me to try my own science experiment!" Naturally, I was delighted by this. Her question was, "Will regular liquids turn into fizzy liquids?" According to her, her hypothesis was, "Yes. If I stir them." Apparently her hypothesis turned out to be correct, especially with vigorous stirring. :-) 1 ...more
Dolly
May 22, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a hilarious book about a very curious and imaginative girl who conducts a series of experiments to answer her questions. My husband has often encouraged our girls to answer a question by posing a hypothesis, conducting an experiment, and observing the results. He encourages this empirical exploration in order for our girls to discover the truth for themselves, rather than just being told.

The questions and experiments that the little girl comes up with are quite creative and certainly ev
A delightful follow-up to 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore, both text and art avoid a sophomore slump. There is as much predictability in the text, but this time it is format rather than words, as the young troublemaker keeps scientific notes about hypotheses, procedures, and observations, an interesting twist for a struggling reader. Similarly, the illustrations have been made with the same media and process, but Carpenter has upped the collage feeling in a way that supports the text's l ...more
Nick
Oct 18, 2011 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, picture-book
This clever story clearly demonstrates the difference between intelligence and wisdom, as the little girl tries various "experiments" with no real idea of the possible consequences.
Ranging from a trial diet of ketchup snowballs to the testing of bologna frisbees, her ideas are hilarious, and generally doomed from the start. Still, her brain is fertile, tenacious and amazingly warped. I expect her to grow up to be a mad scientist of the finest caliber.
Any kid who has ever tried to do something wh
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The author of 17 Things I’m Not Allowed to Do comes up with another list book. This time, our main character shows all the experiments she tried that failed, cleverly revealing in the process the quirky quality of children’s thinking. Absolutely delightful.

“Question:
What makes fungus grow?

Hypothesis:
If left in a closet, food will rot and become a colorful fungus garden.

What You Need:
Brother’s shoes
Bread and cheese
Water

What to Do:
1. Place food inside shoes.
2. Sprinkle with water.
3. Hide shoes in
Stephanie
The increasingly-rare picture book that holds the 2nd grader's attention and tickles his sense of humor. I loved the premise, the illustrations, and the silliness.
Michelle McBeth
SUMMARY: A young girl sets out to prove 11 experiments that unfortunately fail and some that have some pretty bad consequences. One such experiment is "Do dogs like to be covered in glitter?"

ILLUSTRATIONS: The illustrations were created with a mix of pen and ink and digital work. There are real items inserted among the drawings giving them a more 3D look. The pictures are quite nice, full of interesting details for older readers and fun.

THE GOOD: This book starts out really well with a funny exp
Sarah DeWalt
"11 Experiments that Failed" is much of a story but it is an easy story for children to relate to and even learn from. It's about this girls who conducts a series of silly experiments that all fail miserable and she winds up getting herself in a lot of trouble. These silly experiments include watering plants with perfume, just to see if it would work, or trying to make stinky cheese less stinky by spray perfume on them. What ended up happening was she got in lot of trouble with her mother using ...more
Dianna
Oct 06, 2011 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect book for budding scientists. My five-year-old laughed his way through. We get a question, hypothesis, instructions, and conclusions for each experiment, from "What makes fungus grow?" to "Will a piece of bologna fly like a Frisbee?" While there is more mischief than science going on in this book, it is a solid, silly introduction to the scientific method.

The illustrations are an interesting combination of ink and digital media. I liked them.
Aaron
Mar 26, 2016 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this with 8 and 5 year old girls and it was like sitting with a sitcom laugh track as they chuckled over literally every page. This one came out about five years ago, but I was attracted to it after reading Sparky! by Jenny Offill. It takes us through 11 of the craziest experiments a kid could create. The descriptions use steps that we would likely be teaching to beginning science students using vocab like hypothesis but that is really for a second or third reading. My kids were laughing so ...more
Amber Murphy
1.) Opening for 11 Experiments that Failed:

The book we are going to read today is 11 Experiments that Failed by Jenny Offill and Nancy Carpenter. Do you remember a book we have read recently by these authors, that has a similar title? (Student response) In this book, the ornery little girl from our previous story is back! This time she is recalling some experiments that did not work! Have you had any experiences that have not worked out? (Student Response)
I want you to listen to some of her exp
paula
Ok, stop: the peaceful, rapturous expression on our girl scientist's face as she lets fly a slice of bologna in the school cafeteria would have sold me on this book even if I had not already been giggling, snorting, and cackling on almost every page prior.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Ronda
Jan 07, 2016 Ronda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Was a little concerned at first that the story wasn't so much a story as a logbook of steps, hypotheses and results. I had more than a few puzzled looms from students when I started reading, not a story, but steps, but they soon got the idea. Between the dry, scientific delivery of the words and the accompanying illustrations, there were a few good belly laughs.
Paired this book with a bio of Mae Jemison and The Science Project That Almost Ate the School. This book is a humorous way to talk about
Jenna Smith
Nov 10, 2014 Jenna Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
11 Experiments That Failed is a cute quirky book that not only has hilarious science experiments gone wrong, but it also introduces keys words in the process of creating science projects. This book helps readers learn the process of forming a hypothesis and performing steps to create an experiment. The experiments in this book, such as finding out if gerbils would like bigger wheels, shows readers that although a science experiment may not go as planned, you are still learning from it!

** This bo
Elaina
Mar 11, 2015 Elaina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot: A scientist (little girl) has questions/hypothesizes that she wants to find the answers to. She uses the scientific process to help answer her questions. For example, 'Can a message be sent in a bottle to a faraway land?' which seems pretty simple but then the little girl conducts the experiment in the bathroom!

Setting: This story takes place in the little girl's home.

Characters: Little girl and her family

Point of View: The questions are asked in 3rd person but then the results are answer
Giovanna Forsyth
You know. This book was okay. It's a bit a challenge to read aloud, and generally when I think of picture books, I think they're usually going to be about things picture book age kids can relate to. While this book is funny and absurd (which kids of all ages like), the idea of an experiment (much less the scientific method) is still a little abstract for my almost 6 year old. I think an older kid might get a kick out of the content, but maybe find it a little too silly by the time they could ful ...more
Mar 19, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beckah
Shelves: j-non-fiction
This was very funny. I want to read it to my visiting 2nd graders, even though I'd planned this whole guessing game theme--experiments are kind of games, right!?
Tara
Oct 20, 2011 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Not as good as 17 things i'm not allowed to do anymore but a laugh out loud kind of book
Tiffany
Feb 25, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great! The kids were roaring with laughter (note to all people looking for funny books, my 7/5 y.o.s loved it). Though it is less precise about narrowing a scientific question and having methods for testing, it's a good introduction to hypothesis and experiment as the scientific model--all through funny, home-based examples. Illustrations are chock full of the mix of lab notes and neat settings and familial reactions to the experiments--as when stinky cheese is doused in the mom's perfu ...more
Chantia Singleton
If I've learned one thing in birth-five, it is that children love love love science. This book would be a great, witty addition to any science center. There are funny experiments in it that the children could even try themselves; like what does ketchup & snow taste like and how does fungus grow? It also has great vocabulary words like hypothesis and fungus! An experiment that comes to mind for fungus is where you put a slice of bread in 2 zip lock bags and one has been touched by all dirty h ...more
Beth
Jul 23, 2014 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Geared toward school-aged children, my seven-year-old really enjoyed this clever book! The curious, precocious narrator — a girl! — gets into trouble when her “experiments” go awry. What I liked about this book (as opposed to its predecessor, 17 Things I’m Not Allowed to Do Anymore), is that each “experiment” has a problem, a hypothesis, a procedure, and a conclusion — so it’s reinforcing the scientific method that my kids learned while doing their science fair projects last spring. But kids wil ...more
Stacie
Plot: A young girl is filled with curiousity and finds various ways to test her hypothesi.

Setting: present day, any where

Characters: Experimenter

Point of View: 1st person

Theme: Science, Experiments, Curiousity, Humor

Style: Picture Book, Children's Book, Told through experiement notes.

Copyright: 2011

Notes: I laughed outloud at the book. It was too funny. I love that the girl is filled with questions and looks for ways to find the answers. I also love that the story shows her never giving up...ev
Conico
Oct 26, 2013 Conico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: educators, children
This is one of the best children's science books that I've read. It does a good job showing the scientific method of investigation with Seuss like experiments. What a great way to show kids that any question can be approached scientifically! The experiments were fun, silly, and mischievous. My favorites were seeing if dogs like glitter and growing a fungus garden in a shoe.

Aside from enthusiastically presenting science that can be done by anyone, anywhere, and with anything, the writers also pr
Ashley
I read "11 Experiments That Failed" with my six-year-old nephew, a veritable connoisseur of both the silly and the scientific. While we got some mild amusement out of it, the premise -- "here are some goofy ideas that would never work as real experiments" -- grew tiresome for us both quickly. If it had gone past eleven experiments, I don't think he would have wanted to finish.

The experiments don't really change their model/format, and the author missed a chance to add a little suspense to get t
Kimberly
Jul 16, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this hilarious story while volunteering for my children's school Book Fair. It was so cute that I just had to read it out loud to the students who came in to browse the book shop. At the end of the day I literally read it at least 20 times and I still couldn't resist purchasing the book for myself to bring home. I even bought a copy for the library teacher as a gift. She loved it too!
Becky
Apr 25, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just so silly! My husband was reading it to my kids and I had to stop and listen because it was funny and quirky. I'm a sucker for quirky picture books! I like how the author structured the book with a question, hypothesis, materials, steps and results. It was fun to see what the results were. Hopefully it doesn't give anyone ideas!
  • I Wanna New Room
  • Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature
  • The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade
  • This Plus That: Life's Little Equations
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
Jenny Offill is an American author born in Massachusetts. Her first novel Last Things was published in 1999 was a New York Times Notable book and a finalist for the L.A Times First Book Award.

She is also the co-editor with Elissa Schappell of two anthologies of essays and the author of several children's books She teaches in the MFA programs at Brooklyn College, Columbia University and Queens Univ
More about Jenny Offill...