Start by marking “Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle Centenary Edition” as Want to Read:
Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle Centenary Edition

Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle Centenary Edition (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  12,097 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is a hedgehog washerwoman who lives in a tiny cottage in the fells of the Lake District. A child named Lucie happens upon her cottage and stays for tea, and also helps Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle with her laundry delivery.
Hardcover
Published March 3rd 2005 by Frederick Warne Publishers Ltd (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle Centenary Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle Centenary Edition

Traveller
Sep 21, 2015 Traveller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, illustrated
Miss Tiggy-Winkle is a very industrious hedgehog.
She is also very sociable. ;)

She is also kind.

Replete with lovely illustrations, Beatrix Potter brings the hedges and hedgerows to anthropomorphic life.
Jean
The name of Beatrix Potter is familiar and loved the world over. She is famous for her delightful children's books about woodland animals, who are, of course, little people in disguise, as they wear clothes and behave exactly as their human counterparts would. The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle is the sixth in a series, and features one of her most delightful characters, a hedgehog washerwoman.

Before these whimsical stories ever came to light, Beatrix Potter had been a respected watercolourist, illust
Manny

Kids who've grown up learning to blow their noses in disposable tissues just won't get this book. It's tragic.
Lauren
Nov 17, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite childhood Beatrix Potter story! Reread it for #readkidslit.
GoldGato
"Three handkins and a pinny"!

When Lucie loses her handkins (I don't think this word is even in the OED), she starts the search around the environs of Little Town to find them. She ends up discovering the cozy abode of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a very clean hedgehog in the process of washing her whites in the washing basin. As it turns out, Tiggywinkle is the village laundress, an expert in washing, starching, and ironing.

Tea is made, which I always feel is the best part, as it means I must also have my
Katherine
Dec 05, 2015 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my 4 year old granddaughter's favorite books. It's such fun to read the charming story while she lifts each flap that reveals the hidden item and the last words for each page. When she visits I encourage new books and she typically enjoys them but she always requests this one--sometimes twice (or more). Nothing beats a favorite book, at any age.
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book answers the all-important questions in the mind of children in 1905: who does the laundry? And what laundry do other creatures have?

Informative introduction to the career of laundress, suitable for human and hedgehog readers alike.

I bought it.
B-zee
May 10, 2014 B-zee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
4.5 bintang.

Petualangan seorang gadis (manusia) bernama Lucie, mencari sapu tangannya yang (selalu) hilang. Saya suka gambar dan deskripsi saat Lucie menaiki bukit, pemandangannya indah. Kemudian saat Lucie bertemu Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, buku ini memperkenalkan beberapa macam jenis pakaian. Cara yang asyik untuk belajar bagi anak-anak yang sudah mulai bosan dengan buku bergambar biasa (tanpa cerita).

Kalimat-kalimat Lucie, dialognya dengan hewan-hewan dan Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle sangat manis. Di sini juga
Maria Eleynita
So Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is a hedgehog. A hedgehog doing and ironing the laudry for everyone haha very cool! Oh Lucie, always losing her hankerchiefs! Good thing there is Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle to help.
Prashant
Mar 30, 2012 Prashant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
This was beautiful and it had everything. A sweet girl, an innocent Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and the search for a missing handkerchief.

The story can be a dream or reality but it sure is something !
Shiloh
May 13, 2015 Shiloh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read many of Beatrix Potter's books. Only Peter Rabbit. So when I came across this little book at Goodwill, I had to buy and read it. I think that many adults forget the simplicity of life, and this makes them very unhappy. I try to always remember how to look at life, by reading the books that I would have read as a child. It unloads my mind and heart of all the worries of the adult world. It is stories like this that fan the hidden flame of childhood, and renew happiness in my sou ...more
Jonathan
Jun 20, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another sad tale of loss and redemption from the queen of heartbreak, but this is not for the faint of heart. Lucie finds that she has lost a fair number of handkerchiefs and a pinafore, and so sets off on a long, gruelling journey to recover her missing items. At long last she comes across a small house wherein resides a prickly old woman (the titular Mrs Tiggy-Winkle, who has presumably had a downfall in life, as not everyone had a hyphenated name in the early 1900's), who has been reduced to ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Jun 12, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
This is the story of a little girl named Lucie, who has a habit of losing her pocket-handkerchiefs. When she goes in search of some, she finds a magical door into a hill. Inside there is a little woman covered in prickles who washes clothes for all the animals featured in Beatrix Potter's books: a scarlet waist-coat for Cock Robin, a tablecloth for Jenny Wren, a red handkerchief for Mrs. Rabbit, a pair of stockings for Sally Henny-Penny; and three pocket-handkerchiefs and a pinny for young Lucie ...more
Jamie Winslow
This was a story about a young girl named Lucie who lost her 3 pocket handkins and her pinny. She was out looking for them and asking the local animals if they had seen her pocket handkins and her pinny but none of them had. She had wandered away from her town of Little-town which was down the hill and came across some foot steps that she started to follow. They let her to a little house and she heard singing. She went to the door and knocked. When she entered the house she met a washer woman wh ...more
Shannon
Mar 22, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all loved this one. From the name to her illustrations, Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is too cute! What's not to love about a hedgehog who does your laundry... and so well at that. The boys love references to other Beatrix Potter stories: the onion-scented red handkerchief in which Peter and Benjamin collected onions, Squirrel Nutkin loosing his tail, etc. I get the biggest kick out of the suggestion that sheep can take off their wooly coats like a garment.
Jeremy
Dec 25, 2012 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I must say I was less excited about this story, although prior to reading I expected to really like this one. Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle seemed like a very charming character. She is, really, but her tale was rather boring.

From the beginning I had difficulty believing that someone would be so motivated to find his or her handkerchiefs. Let alone that a child would care about them.
Having said that, I was happy to just 'go with it'. However, the story that followed was boring. They kept going on about al
Gail
Well, if you are curious as to what has happened next in the adventures of Peter Rabbit's blue jacket and red handkerchief, this is the book for you. No wonder Peter Rabbit's mum has lots of time to sell rabbit tobacco. Mrs Tiggy Winkle does all her laundry for her. In fact she does everyone's laundry, clearly taking it secretly without informing anyone, as poor Lucie had no idea what had happened to her pocket handkerchiefs.
Natasha
Jan 01, 2015 Natasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Poor Lucie had lost her hankies, and while searching for them discovers Mrs Tiggy-Winkle's house. Mrs Tiggy-Winkle (a hedgehog) seems to be running some kind of animal launderette, although I'm not sure how she got Lucie's hankies.

These Beatrix Potter stories are quite sweet (some of them anyway!) but I think without the illustrations I'd only be giving them 2 or 3 stars because they really made the story.
Audryaunna
This a wonderful story of Lucie who has lost three pocket hankins and her pinny. She asked all of the animals if they had seen them, but no one had. She continues to search for her belongings she comes upon a home with and asks the lady if she has seen her handkins and pinny without an answer form the lady she found the belongings in the basket. The washerwoman cleaned Lucie's items and had tea.

Sarah Crawford
Jan 26, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another in the Beatrix Potter series of books, with a copyright date of 1905 and color illustrations.

This is a delightful story about a human girl who keeps losing her handkerchiefs. She tries to find some and finds a door to a very small house. Inside the house is Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a hedgehog who does washing for the other animals. She has the girl's hankies.

This is a nice, cute story with no darker meanings or implications.
Jazz
May 16, 2014 Jazz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Potter seems to have had a lot of fun with this one. In earlier books, she hints that all of the animal stories are true, but at the end of this story she explicitly tells readers show has been to the small door in the hill and knows Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle. It is a gem for readers young enough to still believe the world works this way.
Mirjam
Sep 24, 2015 Mirjam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the most exciting of stories and the illustrations are best when there are no human characters involved. Somehow the animals convey emotions a lot better than the humans. The latter seem two dimensional and rather bland. The animals are very well captured though.
Barbara
Mar 19, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another lovely Beatrix Potter story about a little girl who goes looking for her pocket handkins and pinny to find them being washed by Mrs. Twiggy Winkle. I like that it throws in other stores by Beatrix. another lovely book with sweet pictures
Brooke
Mar 10, 2013 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Beatrix Potter tales, so when I decided to dive into this one, I was quite excited. It was cute, but not much more than that. The reason behind writing it was a bit lost on me; as to say I did not quite understand the point. It was quite fun to read about other characters (something that would have been lost on other readers that had not had the pleasure of previously reading Beatrix Potter). The pictures were quite delightful and were what really, for me, warranted four stars. I thin ...more
Isaiah Vianese
Apr 23, 2016 Isaiah Vianese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite of Potter's excellent children's books. Mrs Tiggy-Winkle is an interesting, sweet presence in the book, and the journey to her home has a sense of fantasy and adventure, while also being understated.
Tricia
Nov 13, 2015 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun learning more about hedgehogs when we read this during our Beatrix Potter literature unit. I loved how clever this book was and how Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle took care of all the animals.
Jill
Feb 12, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Beatrix Potter book yet. I love Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and all her laundry skills. I don't really care for Peter Rabbit (himself) but I could read Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle's story many, many times.
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Shelly Verma
The book was about a girl name Lucie and she has lost her handkerchief so she goes all around the village.It got a little boring for me when I was reading the book. By Ruheen
babyhippoface
A little girl named Lucie goes out looking for her lost handkerchiefs and finds Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a hedgehog who happily takes care of the mending and ironing for her woodland friends.

Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle's tale is a more difficult read than Peter Rabbit's or Squirrel Nutkin's. Here Beatrix Potter included some language that, I'm sure, was common 100 years ago, but no longer is today. Some words I feel pretty sure our kids today wouldn't understand: handkin (handkerchief), pinny (pinafore--which
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Summer Story
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Flower Fairies of the Summer
  • Oh Say Can You Say?
  • Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever
  • Betsy and the Great World (Betsy-Tacy, #9)
  • Old Bear
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • Babar and His Children
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit