Start by marking “Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle Centenary Edition” as Want to Read:
Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle Centenary Edition

Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle Centenary Edition (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  9,362 ratings  ·  98 reviews
To celebrate Peter's birthday, Frederick Warne is publishing new editions of all 23 of Potter's original tales, which take the very first printings of Potter's works as their guide. The aim of these editions is to be as close as possible to Beatrix Potter's intentions while benefiting from modern printing and design techniques.

The colors and details of the watercolors in...more
Hardcover
Published March 3rd 2005 by Frederick Warne Publishers Ltd (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle Centenary Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle Centenary Edition

GoldGato
"Three handkins and a pinny"!

When Lucie loses her handkins (I don't think this word is even in the OED), she starts the search around the environs of Little Town to find them. She ends up discovering the cozy abode of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a very clean hedgehog in the process of washing her whites in the washing basin. As it turns out, Tiggywinkle is the village laundress, an expert in washing, starching, and ironing.

Tea is made, which I always feel is the best part, as it means I must also have my...more
Manny

Kids who've grown up learning to blow their noses in disposable tissues just won't get this book. It's tragic.
Kaethe
This book answers the all-important questions in the mind of children in 1905: who does the laundry? And what laundry do other creatures have?

Informative introduction to the career of laundress, suitable for human and hedgehog readers alike.

I bought it.
B-zee
4.5 bintang.

Petualangan seorang gadis (manusia) bernama Lucie, mencari sapu tangannya yang (selalu) hilang. Saya suka gambar dan deskripsi saat Lucie menaiki bukit, pemandangannya indah. Kemudian saat Lucie bertemu Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, buku ini memperkenalkan beberapa macam jenis pakaian. Cara yang asyik untuk belajar bagi anak-anak yang sudah mulai bosan dengan buku bergambar biasa (tanpa cerita).

Kalimat-kalimat Lucie, dialognya dengan hewan-hewan dan Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle sangat manis. Di sini juga...more
Prashant
This was beautiful and it had everything. A sweet girl, an innocent Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and the search for a missing handkerchief.

The story can be a dream or reality but it sure is something !
Jonathan
Another sad tale of loss and redemption from the queen of heartbreak, but this is not for the faint of heart. Lucie finds that she has lost a fair number of handkerchiefs and a pinafore, and so sets off on a long, gruelling journey to recover her missing items. At long last she comes across a small house wherein resides a prickly old woman (the titular Mrs Tiggy-Winkle, who has presumably had a downfall in life, as not everyone had a hyphenated name in the early 1900's), who has been reduced to...more
Shanna Gonzalez
This is the story of a little girl named Lucie, who has a habit of losing her pocket-handkerchiefs. When she goes in search of some, she finds a magical door into a hill. Inside there is a little woman covered in prickles who washes clothes for all the animals featured in Beatrix Potter's books: a scarlet waist-coat for Cock Robin, a tablecloth for Jenny Wren, a red handkerchief for Mrs. Rabbit, a pair of stockings for Sally Henny-Penny; and three pocket-handkerchiefs and a pinny for young Lucie...more
Jamie Winslow
This was a story about a young girl named Lucie who lost her 3 pocket handkins and her pinny. She was out looking for them and asking the local animals if they had seen her pocket handkins and her pinny but none of them had. She had wandered away from her town of Little-town which was down the hill and came across some foot steps that she started to follow. They let her to a little house and she heard singing. She went to the door and knocked. When she entered the house she met a washer woman wh...more
Somerandom
I was going to give this one star, but I can't bear to give Miss Potter lower than 3. It just seems cruel, somehow. Like she'd somehow disapprove or it might make her sad. (Sorry, Miss Potter!)

This book was actually not well received when it was released. Whilst Miss Potter is an adept painter of animals, her humans were less than appealing.

That aside, this is still one of Miss Potter's tale and as such has cute charming characters and is all around a warm children's novel.

It just seems a bit bo...more
Jeremy
I must say I was less excited about this story, although prior to reading I expected to really like this one. Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle seemed like a very charming character. She is, really, but her tale was rather boring.

From the beginning I had difficulty believing that someone would be so motivated to find his or her handkerchiefs. Let alone that a child would care about them.
Having said that, I was happy to just 'go with it'. However, the story that followed was boring. They kept going on about al...more
Jazz
Potter seems to have had a lot of fun with this one. In earlier books, she hints that all of the animal stories are true, but at the end of this story she explicitly tells readers show has been to the small door in the hill and knows Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle. It is a gem for readers young enough to still believe the world works this way.
Brooke
I love the Beatrix Potter tales, so when I decided to dive into this one, I was quite excited. It was cute, but not much more than that. The reason behind writing it was a bit lost on me; as to say I did not quite understand the point. It was quite fun to read about other characters (something that would have been lost on other readers that had not had the pleasure of previously reading Beatrix Potter). The pictures were quite delightful and were what really, for me, warranted four stars. I thin...more
Jill
My favorite Beatrix Potter book yet. I love Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and all her laundry skills. I don't really care for Peter Rabbit (himself) but I could read Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle's story many, many times.
babyhippoface
A little girl named Lucie goes out looking for her lost handkerchiefs and finds Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a hedgehog who happily takes care of the mending and ironing for her woodland friends.

Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle's tale is a more difficult read than Peter Rabbit's or Squirrel Nutkin's. Here Beatrix Potter included some language that, I'm sure, was common 100 years ago, but no longer is today. Some words I feel pretty sure our kids today wouldn't understand: handkin (handkerchief), pinny (pinafore--which...more
Allison P
I mostly gave this five stars because we love the art. Her stories are so wordy. But what else would they be? She was English. Love her and her gentle, clever stories.
Melanie
When little Lucie realizes that she's missing several items from her pockets she wanders off to search for them. She encounters several different animals all busy with their own lives but no one has seen her missing items. Eventually she encounters a little den in a tree. Inside is a strange woman named Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle doing laundry. Lucie discovers all of her missing items have been washed and ironed. She spendes the afternoon with Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and helps her with her chores.

In the end Lu...more
Aisyah Nassim
Oct 11, 2014 Aisyah Nassim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lubna nassim
Recommended to Aisyah by: sobia wasi
Shelves: classic
soooooo good i love classics books such a good memory to me i definitely recommend this book
Kathryn
Was she real or just a dream Lucie had? Either way Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle was a busy little hedgehog doing the laundry and ironing for all her forest friends...
Neville Ridley-smith
My kids (14, 11, 9) & I are reading through the Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter. On to book 6.

This was a nice enough story but a bit ho-hum. The 14 year old complained of too many old-worlde words.

There was however an OMG moment where all our jaws dropped right at the end. The hill in the story is Cat Bells and we climbed that hill when we were in the Lake District 4 months ago! And what's more, there's a photo of us looking down at Little-town!

Nice reference to previous characters as well....more
Else
One of my favorites! Maybe because I like doing laundry, too. And I need a pinny. :)
Annie
Apr 26, 2012 Annie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annie by: my mother
I love hedgehogs! They are very cute, yet prickly, like me.
Sadly in the state of California we are not allowed to have them as pets. Darn environmentalists and non native species laws. I'll have to make do with my puppet and my dreams of traveling to Finland to see them in the wild.
This is the book that instigated my love for hedgehogs. My mother tells me I made her read it everyday as a very young child, and one day I very cutely said, as she read the title, "her doesn't have a tail." ha ha...more
Caro
A lovely short story for children.
Gem
Not at all how I remembered!
Fox
Beautiful, beautiful story.

I tip my hat to Beatrix Potter for managing to perfectly capture the benign and industrious nature of the hedgehog and turn the humble insectivore into a cultural landmark for us all to love and cherish.
Reenie
The adorableness of this might just be rivalled by its weirdness, but both are awesome. It's really quite surreal - more so than many of the other Potter tales - when you think about it... five year old girl goes on weird trip and meets a hedgehog in clothes doing laundry, both for her and for many other little animals - and then wonders if it were all a dream...

Weird... but as mentioned above, awesome.
Emily
Lovely story
Jane G Meyer
I love all the Beatrix Potter books, for the sweet illustrations and the fun use of language. This is one of my favorite Beatrix Potter books. I would absolutely adore to have a Mrs. Tiggywinkle living in the hills above my home, her bucket in a little stream, and to have a cup of tea with her in front of her fire... It just sounds so delicious!
jacky
I struggled with whether to give this one 2 or 3 stars. I found this story a bit boring; nothing much happened. But, I thought it was fun to see the clothes of the characters we'd already met in the other Potter books, particularly Mrs. Bunny's onion scented handkerchief. Mrs. Tiggy Winkle herself was also pretty cute.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Firstly, I hate little Lucie, she's annoying and stupid. Also, drawn pretty crappily. Secondly, do the animals take off their skin? It was all around odd and didn't work with the animal/human interaction. Though it was the first mention of characters in other books, so, the books are becoming more interlinked.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
  • When We Were Very Young
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Winter Story
  • The Snowman
  • The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever
  • Betsy Was a Junior (Betsy-Tacy, #7)
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Flower Fairies of the Summer
  • What Katy Did Next (Carr Family, #3)
  • Old Bear
  • Dogger
  • Katy No-Pocket
  • Madeline and the Gypsies
  • Oh Say Can You Say?
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan...more
More about Beatrix Potter...
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Benjamin Bunny The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher