Start by marking “Midway: Dauntless Victory” as Want to Read:
Midway: Dauntless Victory

Peter C. Smith

Midway: Dauntless Victory

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  3 reviews
This is an in-depth study of the battle of Midway that reviews the many previous accounts and compares their accuracy and veracity with fresh documentation that has been released recently, including new material on the post-war analysis made by a US select committee. There are new viewpoints on the muddle among the US Admirals; the total failure of the USAAF, despite elabo ...more
Published March 25th 2008 by Pen And Sword (first published November 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Midway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midway

Jeff
First, let me say that this book is not a narrative history of the Battle of Midway. Instead, it delves into specific details about the battle and discusses the various viewpoints taken by historians, past and present. As such, it is a book written for people (like me) who already know a great deal about the battle, and about the historical discussions and controversies associated with it.

Unfortunately, for a book that looks into aspects of the Battle of Midway in fine detail, there are an appal
Rob
I had high hopes for this book in the wake of Shattered Sword. However, if I had turned in a paper in high school with the grammatical errors contained in this book I'd have been forced to redo the work. This book is an absolute embarrassment to the author and editor. If the work can't be bothered to correct simple English grammar, how can I take its analysis and discussion at face value?

Until this book is edited by a professional, avoid at all costs. It's entirely too expensive for the grammati
C.
Jun 28, 2008 C. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ww2, navy, midway
The last time I picked up a book on the Battle of Midway, it was Jon Parshall and Tony Tully's Shattered Sword. Considering Shattered Sword being very high regarded and enjoying nearly a "definitive" status, it sets quite a standard to those that follow.

With that said, I think, Peter C. Smith's Midway: Dauntless Victory may have just reached that high standard.

He adopted an approach where he presented all angles of the battle, American and Japanese, new findings and old (some proven wrong) theor
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2013
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2012
Cole Schoolland
Cole Schoolland marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2010
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2009
Born Peter Charles Smith in North Elmham, Norfolk, in 1940, eldest son of Ernest & Eileen. Educated at Hamonds School, Swaffham. Married Patricia nee Ireson 1963. Two children, son Paul David and daughter Dawn Tracey.

Editor Balfour Books, Cambridge; Cape Sun, London; World War II Investigator, London.

After living in London, Kent and Cambridge now resides in a north-Bedfordshire village with hi
More about Peter C. Smith...
The Battle of Midway: The Battle That Turned the Tide of the Pacific War The Great Ships: British Battleships in World War II Pedestal: the Malta Convoy of August 1942 Battle Cruiser Hms Renown 1916 48, The SKUA!: The Royal Navy's Dive-Bomber