Start by marking “The Playful Way to Serious Writing” as Want to Read:
The Playful Way to Serious Writing

The Playful Way to Serious Writing

For anyone who has ever dreaded the blank page or struggled to find something to write and then agonized over how best to write it, or has simply found writing to be hard work, The Playful Way to Serious Writing breaks down common writing barriers and frees the writer within. Drawing on extensive experience in teaching creative writing and a lifetime of free artistic expre ...more
Published September 9th 2002 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about The Playful Way to Serious Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Playful Way to Serious Writing

May 12, 2015 Regan rated it really liked it
These prompt books by self-styled whimsical artistic types are starting to run together. Already. I haven't actually read that many. Also, this one just reads as screaming WHITE PRIVILEDGE to me in a weird way - I think because there are so many photos and all of them are of white people doing white things.

I do like the timed approach, that works for my planning process, and there are a few intriguing exercises in here.

Overall it's pretty blah, however. I'm not really excited about this book.
Michelle McBeth
Jan 09, 2015 Michelle McBeth rated it it was amazing
This is a writing exercise book for right brained people. There are no formulas. Instead there are photographs, questions, list ideas, and story starters. There are no lengthy explanations. Each page has a different writing exercise. For those of us who write well in response to random ideas, this is a great book. It is simple. It is a place to start. If you have been writing for a long time, I would not necessarily recommend this book unless you are looking for a jump start for new ideas.
May 19, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Love it, great writing exercises to get creativity flowing.
Apr 26, 2012 Rose rated it liked it
This was another library read that I picked up at random looking for writing books in December 2010. Probably a solid three stars if I'm rating it because it's composed of short prompts and it's the size of a coffee table book. You could easily flip through it and read the prompts as well as see the pictures within. It's not so much a "how-to" writing book as it is more of a creative musings book. Some of the exercises are fun and worth coming back to if you're freewriting.
Jun 08, 2009 Amy added it
This book has great writing exercises!
JDM Diane
JDM Diane marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Shirley rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Alain added it
Jun 04, 2016
FDS marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Alison marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Olivia Holtgren
Olivia Holtgren marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Dora Šustić
Dora Šustić rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Courtney Anne
Courtney Anne marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Jack Swanzy
Jack Swanzy marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Carla rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Darlene Reilley
Darlene Reilley marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
anne bayerkohler
anne bayerkohler marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Jovi marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Ido rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014