Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution

Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  55 reviews
From celebrated fitness trainer Chris Powell, star of ABC's EXTREME WEIGHT LOSS, comes this inspirational weight loss book to help anyone conquer their weight. You've seen him change lives on television. Now, in Choose to Lose, Powell presents fast and easy workouts, diet guidance, basic recipes, and insight into finding the true transformation mindset. Following his Carb...more
Published December 27th 2011 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2011)

Katie Rayl
I have a lot of respect for Chris Powell, and I think his overall view of fitness is pretty good. This is why I gave his book 3 stars instead of 2. His idea of "tricking" our bodies into losing weight by cycling our calories and carbs is appealing, but there were still a few things in the book I take issue with. First of all he is mostly focusing on individuals with a lot of weight to lose. For these individuals, carb cycling is probably uneccessarily complicated. Also, I would like to have seen...more
Stacey
If you're going to buy a diet book, this one makes a lot of sense. The writing isn't spectacular, but it's A DIET BOOK, so it's completely forgivable. The theory is to alternate one day with carbs, one day without, and do a variety of exercises called shapers (like push ups) and shredders (cardio). Basically, if you follow the plan, you can't not lose. A smaller calorie intake and increased exercise equal a reduction in waist size. If you're someone who needs guidance when it comes to that equat...more
Desiree
Picked this up at the library because "Good Calories, Bad Calories" was out and I wanted to read something health-related. Since I've been changing my carb intake, I thought it might be a good read. Not so much.

From the use of "loosing weight" (copy-editors are still worthwhile, earth to publishing houses!) to the incredibly complicated plan that is so counter-intuitive to me, I did not enjoy this. The food suggestions aren't bad and I'm sure the workouts are great, but I can't stand all the cha...more
Chad
Chris Powell is a genuinely nice guy. I had an issue with a company he works with and his wife personally handled it for me. He and his wife are really great people.

This book is Chris's history, dreams, and visions along with the Carb Cycle eating plan. He provides everything you need in the book. I read it in 24 hours, it really is motivating, especially for people like myself who have more than 50 pounds to lose. He writes about health holistically and I believe it will change my life.
Mariamgely Santiago
The book was so-so. I liked some of his techniques, our inner athlete and all. I think losing weight is lot more than just carb cycling, but that works for some and not for others. I have tried lots of things so I guess I don't get impress easily with this kind of books. I kind of like his show so I decided to read this book. I felt it didn't quite speak to me, with few exceptions where I felt I needed a particular mantra or sentence from the book to get me motivated again. I think it depends wh...more
Kimmay
You can tell that the author is a sincere person. He goes into how he got into being a trainer & I found that very interesting.

He really seems like he is a positive motivating person. I enjoyed his book. I enjoyed the inspiring way he thinks & talks to his clients.

It is mostly basic info that I already know, BUT the parts about attitude & motivation, keeping the goal in sight is always good to hear. The attitude is everything stuff is what really sets Chris apart from some other bo...more
Sandee Becker
Down 12 lbs in 10 weeks with no gym. Been busy working too many hours. Starting to incorporate cardio and training this week and really watch the plan work. This plan is brilliant. I was in the gym industry for many years and did a similar plan years ago that also worked well for me. Kudos to Chris Powell. He genuinely cares about helping people change their lives.
matt browning
Haven't lost a pound:-)

Because I'm weak and won't follow Chris's advice! I can't argue with his results. Maybe I need to gain another 100-200 pounds to be like one of his clients on TV and then I will find the strength to stick to the carb cycle. I'm going to re-read this again, maybe it will motivate my fat butt to lose some belly:-)
Crystal
amazingly informative. i absolutely love chris powell and heidi.

i love how he shared his story about how he got into all of this. this also starts out like most of the "diet self help" books i've read so far where it kinda talks the first half of the book about what it can do and other people's stories.. & then the other half is the plan and guidelines.

i think this is a brilliant way to go about weightloss and eating habits. i will most definitely give the high/low carb day a chance. if any...more
Diana
I purchased this book yesterday 1/4/14 and sat down and read the entire thing. I loved the down to earth tone of the book. Felt like I was talking with a friend.
Based on what I read, you can use this program no matter how much you need to loose. Its just a matter of adjusting it based on the principles to suit you.
I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to loose weight. Anyone who wants to understand the physics behind weigh loss in terminology that is targeted to the general public and...more
Camburger
I like his theory and ideas about metabolism and he has the credentials to back it up. At first, I thought this diet would be easy to follow and that my own eating habits weren't that far off. However, he does get really specific about what you can and can't eat and what exercises you need to do. So I think that it would be really hard to follow unless you are at home planning your meals all day long.
I am going to eat five meals a day, like he recommends, alternating high carb and low carb days...more
Angela Smith
Loved this book. It explains things in a way that is easy to understand and follow. Some of the things I already knew, but he just pulls it all together in a way that makes so much sense. and he has a lot of practical advise and tricks for getting through the rough times. I can't wait to get started.
Kristi
I started watching Extreme Weight Loss Edition and really seemed to connect with Chris because of his caring nature. So I read this book wondering about the eating side of his plan since they do not talk much about this on the show. I will say that I loved the inspirational part of this book and him talking about how to work on your emotions. I also liked how he explained what shedders and shapers were and when to do them. I do think this book did not give enough information on the eating side o...more
Amy
Great book

he is awesome,his diet should work butcher book is easy to follow, I love it, I will post as soon as I see results!!!
Ronnie
Straight follow information on losinv weight and getting fit.

Leanne
A quick read with some good information and ideas.
Rhonda White
I really liked the book. I started carb cycling before I read the book and it helped explain why carb cycling works. It also helped me realize that the slow down in weight that I experienced was actually normal and I just needed to tweek a week to restart my metabolism. I'm a person that likes to know why I'm doing something and Chris did a great job explaining those reasons. I think I'll be more comfortable with carb cycling after reading this book.
Andrea
I just love Chris Powell so I was so excited to read this book. Chris has a theory of lower calories then a lot of other lifestyle/diet books. He also does carb cycling which works well for me. One day you have higher carbs, then the next day you have lower carb - higher protein meals. I think that I would need to buy this book so I could read it again if I was going to follow the pla. The notes I took are not detailed enough.
Alex Respess
This is far and away the best way to lose weight! Being on Extreme Makeover:Weight Loss Edition as a protege of Chris Powell I can honestly say it is the only method that has ever worked for me when losing weight. He breaks everything down for you and tells you why the things he tells you to do work. He knows the science behind the body or "the machine" as he calls it and can get you where you want to be.
University of Chicago Magazine
Gretchen Young, AB'84, AM'84
Editor

You’ve seen him change lives on television. Now, in Choose to Lose, Powell presents fast and easy workouts, diet guidance, basic recipes, and insight into finding the true transformation mindset. Following his Carb Cycle Solution, you can drop pounds safely and quickly while learning how to ‘listen to your body’ to optimize your overall health and fitness.
Suzanne
This book makes a lot of sense and is geared toward people who have a lot of weight to lose. However my work schedule would never lend to this style of eating and I don't believe that protein powders and bars are the way to go when you want a whole foods way of eating. I may adapt some of the ideas but found the overall method too complicated for real living. Kudos to anyone that can do it!
Nicole
I watch the television show Extreme Weight Loss (it's so inspiring!) and this book, written by the show's trainer/weight loss coach reveals some of the methods that work so well for the show's participants. There are a lot of good ideas in here. I am excited to give carb-cycling a try!
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call#: 613.2833 Powell C

Madeleine - 4 stars
This was a great fitness and health book. His suggestions are do-able and all based on the person who has no gym membership nor fancy kitchen skills. His explainations about why to eat 5x per day in 3 hour intervals makes sense and doesn't get too technically bogged down.
Heather
Really interesting approach to weight loss. I liked the recipes from this book better than the other book, but I think the other book gives better information.
Charlotte
Good Book, Great Info. Would Love to follow this plan, but I think I would need a personal assistant to keep up with preparing all the meals and when I'm suppose to eat what. I like the exercise tips and will attempt to put them in my daily routine. It defiantly makes you think about food a whole new way.
Candie Miller
Dec 08, 2012 Candie Miller rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Candie by: amazing Christmas gift from my wonderfully supportive boyfriend
I am so pumped up over this book! I'm already exercising and thus dropping pounds slowly and also building muscle and toning. Now I can add in the carb cycling and kick it into high gear. From what I've seen Chris Powell do with super obese people, I can't wait to see what happens with this fat girl!
Deviant Geek
One of the best book I've read regarding diets and health. Explaining and putting a carb cycles plan that is fool proof. Giving you amazing easy to follow lifestyle for maximum weight loss. Very achievable diet I recommend it to anyone wanting to grow muscles or lost fat in a easy fun way.
Kimmae
This is not a solution for me as highly reduced carbs and carb cycling make me feel sick and intermittent self-control cycling doesn't work for me either. With that said the book may be very helpful to someone who needs to lose a lot of weight and eats a lot of processed food and especially carbs.
Diana
Very informative. My eating program was very similar to the one described in the book. I'm currently following the 7-Day Carb Cycle....only on week one but I must say that on the low-carb days I'm always hungrey and only drinking about 70 oz of water a day instead of the 128 oz's.
Kelli Pendrey
Pretty decent. Some parts if the book are a little hard to follow but are then explained in a graph or chart if some type. Other then that it sounds easy, explains well what u have to do and look forward to, and the info well be ready to go back and double check when I need to.
  • The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin
  • The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook
  • Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health
  • Fit2Fat2Fit
  • The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook: Great-Tasting Recipes that Keep You Lean!
  • The 17 Day Diet: A Doctor's Plan Designed for Rapid Results
  • I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down
  • Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home
  • SMART SCHOOL TIME RECIPES
  • The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
  • Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars
  • The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide: The Complete and Easy Reference for All Your Favorite Foods
  • No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics
  • The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation: A Complete, Step-By-Step, Gene Reprogramming Action Plan
  • Make-Ahead Paleo: Healthy Gluten-, Grain- & Dairy-Free Recipes Ready When & Where You Are
  • Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running
  • 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food
  • This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever): Eat More, Cheat More, Lose More--and Keep the Weight Off
Choose More, Lose More Choose to Lose Humour in Society: Resistance and Control How to Manage Your Unsigned Band Families Of God (Freestyle)

“GREEK YOGURT AND BANANAS” 0 likes
“Saying “I’ll try” means our soul isn’t really in it. We tell ourselves “I’ll try” when our inflated egos won’t come clean and admit that we’re actually not all that determined. We can’t overcome obstacles with the words “I’ll try.” As Yoda, the philosopher in the Star Wars movies, says, “Do, or do not. There is no ‘try.” 0 likes