Start by marking “Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution” as Want to Read:
Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution

Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  847 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
From celebrated fitness trainer Chris Powell, star of ABC's EXTREME WEIGHT LOSS, comes this inspirational weight loss book to help anyone conquer their weight. You've seen him change lives on television. Now, in Choose to Lose, Powell presents fast and easy workouts, diet guidance, basic recipes, and insight into finding the true transformation mindset. Following his Carb ...more
Published December 27th 2011 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Choose to Lose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choose to Lose

Katie Rayl
I have a lot of respect for Chris Powell, and I think his overall view of fitness is pretty good. This is why I gave his book 3 stars instead of 2. His idea of "tricking" our bodies into losing weight by cycling our calories and carbs is appealing, but there were still a few things in the book I take issue with. First of all he is mostly focusing on individuals with a lot of weight to lose. For these individuals, carb cycling is probably uneccessarily complicated. Also, I would like to have seen ...more
Stacey
Mar 27, 2012 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're going to buy a diet book, this one makes a lot of sense. The writing isn't spectacular, but it's A DIET BOOK, so it's completely forgivable. The theory is to alternate one day with carbs, one day without, and do a variety of exercises called shapers (like push ups) and shredders (cardio). Basically, if you follow the plan, you can't not lose. A smaller calorie intake and increased exercise equal a reduction in waist size. If you're someone who needs guidance when it comes to that equat ...more
Desiree
Picked this up at the library because "Good Calories, Bad Calories" was out and I wanted to read something health-related. Since I've been changing my carb intake, I thought it might be a good read. Not so much.

From the use of "loosing weight" (copy-editors are still worthwhile, earth to publishing houses!) to the incredibly complicated plan that is so counter-intuitive to me, I did not enjoy this. The food suggestions aren't bad and I'm sure the workouts are great, but I can't stand all the cha
Kimmay
Aug 27, 2012 Kimmay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-nutrition
You can tell that the author is a sincere person. He goes into how he got into being a trainer & I found that very interesting.

He really seems like he is a positive motivating person. I enjoyed his book. I enjoyed the inspiring way he thinks & talks to his clients.

It is mostly basic info that I already know, BUT the parts about attitude & motivation, keeping the goal in sight is always good to hear. The attitude is everything stuff is what really sets Chris apart from some other bo
Catherine Gillespie
Up front I will say that the carb cycling idea is more complicated than simply eating low carb or just watching calories. If you don’t have a lot of background in nutrition and weight loss methods you might find the program daunting. However, if you’ve tried low carb or slow carb or South Beach, you would probably find it pretty easy to pick up.

The program alternates low carb and high(er) carb days, advocates eating every three hours, and focused muscle building and cardio. The carb cycling woul
Chad
Dec 29, 2011 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Powell is a genuinely nice guy. I had an issue with a company he works with and his wife personally handled it for me. He and his wife are really great people.

This book is Chris's history, dreams, and visions along with the Carb Cycle eating plan. He provides everything you need in the book. I read it in 24 hours, it really is motivating, especially for people like myself who have more than 50 pounds to lose. He writes about health holistically and I believe it will change my life.
Lillyvette Ostenson
I loved this book. It's a great way to see how your body works and then how to make it work right...for a lifetime!!
Sandee Becker
Mar 31, 2014 Sandee Becker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Down 12 lbs in 10 weeks with no gym. Been busy working too many hours. Starting to incorporate cardio and training this week and really watch the plan work. This plan is brilliant. I was in the gym industry for many years and did a similar plan years ago that also worked well for me. Kudos to Chris Powell. He genuinely cares about helping people change their lives.
Jessie Wilkens
I have to say that I am a big fan of Chris Powell. I have been a fan of his show for some time, but mostly because of him. I love how he treats his clients and his methods sincerely make sense. I also love how humble he seems. I am much more likely to listen to the instruction of someone who doesn't tell me how awesome they are, unlike some celebrity trainers. Aside from the diet, I made my husband try his hangover cure after a night out this weekend and IT WORKED. Seriously, how did I not know ...more
Theresa C. C.
I have no doubt this program works. The science is sound and long-proven. However, for someone working a job that doesn't have a regular daily/weekly schedule, nor will allow me to eat 5 times a day, nor go to the restroom as often as consuming a gallon of water a day would demand... well, I don't see this program as doable for me, as written.

I will, however, adapt the principles as much as possible in my specific circumstances. I'm absolutely going to be adopting the exercise program, and using
Melissa
Oct 21, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, non-fiction, 2014
I actually finished this in about a day or two - since I didn't need to read the many inspirational stories.

This plan is great for anyone struggling to both lose weight AND have a sustainable meal plan. Weight Watchers never really worked for me, so I wanted to try something that was focused on micro-nutrient levels. This plan is EASY, very adjustable to almost any lifestyle, and therefore easy to continue week after week.

In regards to how well the book guides, I would have to say 3 out of 5. I'
Mariamgely Santiago
The book was so-so. I liked some of his techniques, our inner athlete and all. I think losing weight is lot more than just carb cycling, but that works for some and not for others. I have tried lots of things so I guess I don't get impress easily with this kind of books. I kind of like his show so I decided to read this book. I felt it didn't quite speak to me, with few exceptions where I felt I needed a particular mantra or sentence from the book to get me motivated again. I think it depends wh ...more
Tracie
Jun 12, 2016 Tracie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a major fan of Chris Powell from his TV show, I was excited to read this book. His enthusiasm comes through the page. The plan seems pretty straightforward. I really appreciated the mental exercises that Powell encouraged the audience to go through before starting the cycle. I used them as journal exercises and found it to be helpful. I look forward to the first week of the plan!
matt browning
Feb 08, 2014 matt browning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't lost a pound:-)

Because I'm weak and won't follow Chris's advice! I can't argue with his results. Maybe I need to gain another 100-200 pounds to be like one of his clients on TV and then I will find the strength to stick to the carb cycle. I'm going to re-read this again, maybe it will motivate my fat butt to lose some belly:-)
Crystal
Sep 19, 2013 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazingly informative. i absolutely love chris powell and heidi.

i love how he shared his story about how he got into all of this. this also starts out like most of the "diet self help" books i've read so far where it kinda talks the first half of the book about what it can do and other people's stories.. & then the other half is the plan and guidelines.

i think this is a brilliant way to go about weightloss and eating habits. i will most definitely give the high/low carb day a chance. if any
Diana
Jan 05, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads-audio
I purchased this book yesterday 1/4/14 and sat down and read the entire thing. I loved the down to earth tone of the book. Felt like I was talking with a friend.
Based on what I read, you can use this program no matter how much you need to loose. Its just a matter of adjusting it based on the principles to suit you.
I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to loose weight. Anyone who wants to understand the physics behind weigh loss in terminology that is targeted to the general public and
Christina
Apr 02, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interesting healthy lifestyle

Chris Powell diet and exercise routine was recommended by our family doctor, for weight loss and cholesterol control. I found this book and it sounds like a great diet plan for life. We are going to try it.
Robert Lumpkin
Jul 31, 2014 Robert Lumpkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great information

Great information

I was hesitant in buying this book but shouldn't have been. it inspired me and has information on carb cycling. Loved hearing his story and about how he got inspired.
Camburger
I like his theory and ideas about metabolism and he has the credentials to back it up. At first, I thought this diet would be easy to follow and that my own eating habits weren't that far off. However, he does get really specific about what you can and can't eat and what exercises you need to do. So I think that it would be really hard to follow unless you are at home planning your meals all day long.
I am going to eat five meals a day, like he recommends, alternating high carb and low carb days
Angela Smith
Feb 15, 2014 Angela Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. It explains things in a way that is easy to understand and follow. Some of the things I already knew, but he just pulls it all together in a way that makes so much sense. and he has a lot of practical advise and tricks for getting through the rough times. I can't wait to get started.
Danette
The carb cycling info is interesting and I'll probably try it (minus the protein powders and artificial sweeteners), but I think the recommended workouts sound incredibly repetitive and boring.
Kristi
I started watching Extreme Weight Loss Edition and really seemed to connect with Chris because of his caring nature. So I read this book wondering about the eating side of his plan since they do not talk much about this on the show. I will say that I loved the inspirational part of this book and him talking about how to work on your emotions. I also liked how he explained what shedders and shapers were and when to do them. I do think this book did not give enough information on the eating side o ...more
Amy
Great book

he is awesome,his diet should work butcher book is easy to follow, I love it, I will post as soon as I see results!!!
Sara Olinde
Jan 13, 2015 Sara Olinde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Chris Powell and the carb cycling diet. I read the book and have been eating clean since. I hope to read his next book soon.

Samara
Apr 15, 2016 Samara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good diet (although I prefer whole dairy & not low-fat versions) and at-home exercise plan
Kristina
Jan 16, 2015 Kristina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
His whole theory is based on "tricking" your body's metabolism into working harder. It's a myth that your metabolism speeds up and slow down, so I didn't find this one particularly helpful.
Ronnie
Jul 16, 2014 Ronnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Straight follow information on losinv weight and getting fit.

Heather Brown
Aug 12, 2014 Heather Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent motivator. Working on the program now.
Leanne
Jul 05, 2014 Leanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read with some good information and ideas.
Rhonda White
Feb 20, 2013 Rhonda White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book. I started carb cycling before I read the book and it helped explain why carb cycling works. It also helped me realize that the slow down in weight that I experienced was actually normal and I just needed to tweek a week to restart my metabolism. I'm a person that likes to know why I'm doing something and Chris did a great job explaining those reasons. I think I'll be more comfortable with carb cycling after reading this book.
  • 7 Weeks to 50 Pull-Ups: Strengthen and Sculpt Your Arms, Shoulders, Back, and ABS by Training to Do 50 Consecutive Pull-Ups
  • The Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start: Lose Weight, Get in Shape, and Start Living the Biggest Loser Lifestyle Today!
  • The Drop 10 Diet: Add to Your Plate to Lose the Weight
  • The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin
  • The Swing!: Discover the Revolutionary Kettlebell Program That Will Take You from Fat to Fit
  • Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish
  • Slim for Life: My Insider Secrets to Simple, Fast, and Lasting Weight Loss
  • Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health
  • Chris Powell's Choose More, Lose More for Life
  • The Big Picture: 11 Laws That Will Change Your Life
  • 100 Days of Weight Loss: The Secret to Being Successful on Any Diet Plan
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook 2: Over 150 brand new great-tasting recipes that keep you lean!
  • Profiles in Courage for Our Time
  • As Good As Gold: 1 Woman, 9 Sports, 10 Countries and a a 2-Year Quest to Make the Summer Olympics
  • I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps

“GREEK YOGURT AND BANANAS” 1 likes
“If you always do what you’ve always done, then you’ll always get what you’ve always got.” 0 likes