Start by marking “Meets Girl” as Want to Read:
Meets Girl

Will Entrekin

Meets Girl

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  30 reviews
"It’s romance and fairy tales. But it’s magic and whimsy too. It’s a writer’s lament and a coming-of-age tale (for lack of a better cliché.) It’s experimentation and taking chances. It’s poetry and music. It’s love and art." -LL Book Review

"Silly and poignant and real . . . This isn't a love letter to Veronica as much as a love letter to the process of falling in love, and...more
Published June 13th 2011 by Will Entrekin, via Smashwords (first published November 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Meets Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meets Girl

Nicole Ireland
Apr 23, 2011 Nicole Ireland rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
very so often a book comes along that makes me sit back, once finished, and ask myself “Where do I begin?” Meets Girl by Will Entrekin made me do just that.

I don’t want to give away any of the story, but at the same time, I want to provide enough insight into the book so that it encourages you to purchase a copy because it’s definitely worth a read.

Now let’s get to it. *rolls up sleeves*

To begin, I could certainly focus on a few errors that I noticed while reading the book, but I’m not going to...more
Bonnie
Overall, this probably garners closer to a 2 1/2 stars than 3. But, I'll be generous.

It's hard to pin down this story, and what a reader is supposed to get out of it. At times, it is pretentious; I half-expected the narrator to live in Williamsburg instead of Hoboken. But in others, Entrekin shows a lovely command of the English language.

Ultimately, the breaking-of-the-fourth-wall thing completely lost me. It's... interesting...? But not particularly effective as a storytelling tool.
Allie Burke
As a reader, you don't really expect that book. You know the one: that book that makes you think about every book you've ever read. A book which alters your perceptions of what a good book is, what it isn't, or how a story should be told in order for you to love it. Until you come across the book that makes you realize that there is no right way and there's really no way of knowing exactly what you're going to love until you do. This book is that book!

Meets Girl is the first of Entrekin's work I...more
Elia
I think I got this book for free a while ago, or for pretty cheap in a Kindle sale.

I read it in one week, which I haven't done with a book in a really long time. Obviously, something about the book spoke to me. I connected with it. It hit me in the soul. And hell, maybe I'm a hopeless romantic too.

I'm avoiding saying much because I don't like being spoiled, and I don't want to spoil for others. The book is written entirely in first person. It's a style that is purposeful for this book and work...more
Wordsmith
This little known book should be one of "those" books. You know the ones. Those rarefied gems that somehow break through, and we all feel as if (well, ok, some of them) surely must have a touch of the divine. Kind of like that feeling we get when listening to that young soprano, when suddenly, with unsurpassed talent, so refined and exquisite, out of her mouth comes that strung out, pure, highest note, perfectly met. Or when hearing a performance by that violin virtuoso, who transcends what we m...more
Michelle
Once upon a time, I read a book. To be honest, it wasn't just once upon a time that I read a book, for I've read more books than I can enumerate. Books that I cherish still today; books that I have thrown across the room in frustration. Books I've read dozens of times, and books that I could barely finish the first page. Let me start again...

Once upon a time, I read THIS book. This book that reached past the fourth wall and grabbed me by the heart.This book full of pop culture and literary refer...more
Tyrone Hayes
Their are several problems with this book. This first is that there is no conflict. Everyone in the book seems to exist to to tell the main character he is wonderful. Some of the characters fall all over themselves to do so. The story is a flat line from beginning to end.

The next problem is Will pays to much attention to extraneous detail. It's one thing to describe an object or a room. It's another to give every detail of said things. Will strays from the story so often to spend pages describin...more
Samuel
May 25, 2012 Samuel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes beautiful language and compelling stories (read review for caveats).
Heather
The beginning 2/3 or so of the book would have been five stars, maybe even six. I'm not always into the "broken fourth wall" stuff, where the author talks directly to the reader, but it WORKS here.

Unfortunately, as I kept reading, the spelling and grammar mistakes increased. I can certainly tolerate a few, but I began noticing them, and then every one I found gave me a little pop of irritation. This is such a good book that it really deserves another proofreading round to remove these glitches....more
Sara Serna
I think an innovative, worthwhile story exists somewhere inside this book, but its execution and development was so far from what it needed to be that I'm left very dissatisfied.

There was a portion of the novel (maybe 20%) I enjoyed and I didn't find myself pausing often to note the things I didn't like. I liked Angus' character and his business, the hint of the supernatural that you can't be sure is a matter of reality or perception.

The rest of the time I was annoyed at the author's decision...more
Jill
I find it hard to describe this book. At times I loved it, at other times I found it frustrating. It would not surprise me to see this novel as a book included in a college literature or even philosophy class at some point, because it makes you think. I can imagine the questions for discussion or essay topics on this book. I only gave it 3 stars, because I admit to loving books with a happy ever after ending. If it had ended the way I wanted it to I would have given it 5 stars, which I realize i...more
Titi
This was an odd book, in that it seems as though it shouldn't have had such a profound effect on me as it did. The story is not so original and the writing, at times, could be quite mediocre. My head tells me I should give it a 3 or 4, but my heart tells me to give it a 5. Certain parts were so well-written, it made ache. And in other places, the emotion was so real, the fourth wall crumbled. I don't know what it is, but I really love this book right now. One of those oh-so-rare gems of free kin...more
Amanda Gill
I enjoyed this book very much. The writing style, the allusions, the characters: all great! Until the last chapter. And I don't think I'm giving anything away here, but the retrospective explanation of everything in the book was a little.....I don't know...condescending? Maybe that's too strong a word. I think that part would have been better as an epilogue instead of a final chapter.

In spite of that, 99% of the book was a wonderful read, and I highly recommend it.
Kathy Wilson
I so wanted to like this one but it was too disheveled for me to enjoy. Too much "truth" mixed with fairy tale made it hard for me to enjoy. I didn't care for or enjoy this style of writing.
Janna
This is an interesting book... More about the writer telling a story in first person to you the reader, than it is about the story, itself. I personally found the book somewhat distracting because of all his musings, metaphors, references and comparisons, but that essentially is what makes the book what it is-take it it or leave it. I also hate ambiguous endings.
Jorge Estraga
Unimaginative drivel. Obsessed with 9-11. Character names are too "made up" sounding. Overly descriptive. Left with the impression the writer hasn't spent much time in NY. Contrived. Limited imagination. One star for a nice cover. On a positive note, all the words are spelled correctly.
Catharina Shields
Excellent read! Deep, thoughtful, and heartfelt. It gives a look into how men feel about a love beyond their reach.

I recommend this books to anyone who feels they need to delve deeper into the confusing emotions when the one you love is beyond your reach.

LOVE IT!
Bethany Vedder
unlike anything i've ever read, and that's a very good thing in this case. very bizarre, totally loveable, and fantastically written. love, priorities, power, choices, dreams ... a most tangled web. i think you should read it.
Myron Lezak
Clever book. Story is less important than the way the author plays with the reader. The story is about possibilities, potentials, challenges and love told in a most amusing and unique way. Light reading but fun.
Mildred
This book was painful to read. At one point I started skimming through paragraphs to get through it because something about it made me want to know how it would end. It wasn't worth it.
Miya Kressin
I don't think I can say enough good things about this book. I've read it cover to cover three times now, and each time I find something new that makes me think.
Courtney
Not my bag. It was creative, but it seemed kind of self-aggrandizing to me, and the story was only okay. He's a good writer, but I wasn't really into this book.
Jeanne
Eh. Of all the free kindle books I've tried, it's probably the best so far. But that's not saying much! Kept my interest, but found the style annoying.
Gina
I really liked this story about a guy writing a book. It weaved in writing techniques for writing stories while writing the story.
Rosemary Malayil
A little indulgent at times, but left me wondering about the line between fiction and memoir. Interesting idea for a book.
Peg
I would actually give it a little better than a 3, not a love story reader but this is certainly non typical.
Jadine
I had a hard time following this book. I didn't like the format I guess. Or the writing style.
Nicolas
La résolution est un peu faible mais pour le reste c'est... vibrant.
Cori
Wow, wonderful. You reached me, Will Entrekin....well done!
  • The Glassblower's Daughter
  • The Drought
  • The Bridge
  • Don't Wait For Me
  • An Order of Coffee and Tears
Writer, professor, Eagle scout.
More about Will Entrekin...
The Prodigal Hour Entrekin Struck by the Light of the Son a new york trilogy Jamais Plus: Explorations of the Curious Case of the Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe