Start by marking “Montessori Today: A Comprehensive Approach to Education from Birth to Adulthood” as Want to Read:
Montessori Today: A Comprehensive Approach to Education from Birth to Adulthood

Montessori Today: A Comprehensive Approach to Education from Birth to Adulthood

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Paula Lillard, director of a Montessori school ranging in age from 18 months to fifteen years, provides a clear and cogent introduction to the Montessori program for the elementary and later years. In detailed accounts, Lillard shows how children acquire the skills to answer their own questions, learn to manage freedom with responsibility, and maintain a high level of inte ...more
Published September 7th 2011 by Schocken (first published January 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Montessori Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Montessori Today

Rebecca
How is it that I have a degree in education and I have never read anything about Montessori? I found this at the library and-- what can I say? I'm so excited about this little view into the Montessori world. At the risk of sounding a bit overheated-- I feel like a new convert!

I love the idea of presenting the Whole Universe to kids and letting them move inward to micro and outward to macroscopic views-- seeing the patterns and connections. I love the idea of a moral education-- manners and "grac
Amanda Rabon
I read this for work. It definitely gave some more insight into the Montessori method. I know it's meant to present Montessori as a better method of teaching, but I'm not sure the vilification of traditional schooling is necessary. I went to public school K-college and I loved school. I did not experience the adverse effects they describe at all; in fact if I could go back to school and major in everything once I probably would.

However, I do see some value to the Montessori method and the treat
Tammy
“Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit with which to tackle the big challenges; it should allow you to find values which will be your road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are, whomever you are with; it should teach you what is important, how to live and how to die.” From Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto recipient of a New Y ...more
Leah Macvie
I read this book at the same time I was also reading the Montessori Method. Lillard did a great job at clearing up some of the misconceptions I had had about Montessori, or the general lack of knowledge. I'm not going to lie, the Montessori Method was a tough read. Towards the end, I was struggling to get through it. Lillard's book was an easy read that put things into perspective. I loved the first hand accounts of what it's like in the classroom, and the children's comments throughout the book ...more
Yvonne
This is a VERY comprehensive book on the Montessori Method of education. For anyone who wants a complete overview of the method as envisioned by Dr. Montessori AND also the implementation of this method, this is the book for you!
I was so encouraged in reading this book. When I began studying various alternative education options for my child 2 years ago, I soon grew to develop a partiality towards the following three: The Well-Trained Mind Classical Education, the Montessori Method, and EPIC Adv
Jenny Hawley
This book was easy to absorb and very interesting. The only downside, which is not really fair, if that I wish it were updated to represent a more recent era (it was written in 1995). I also would have liked to have heard more about the transitions from Montessori to high school or college
Tia Greene
Why aren't all schools Montessori? I'm hooked.
Annemarie
All of a sudden all the Montessori preschool stuff makes even more sense. I understand the progression of "what's going on in there" from my prior Montessori elementary observations. All the Infant Community and Children's house progressions build toward it. I highly receomend all parents considering even Montessori preschool read this book. It explains those as well, but better still, elaborates on the end goal. Or even teachers who are debating about what kind of teacher they'd want to be.
Marj
I believe that children can take in a lot more than I used to think. Reading this book and I assume if I read any other Montessori book will reaffirm that children are more capable then I have given them credit for. My thought is, who am I to limit what my child is capable of doing/learning. Just because I felt limitations as a youth does not mean that my children will. If I do not put up barriers and strict obligations my children should be able to let their intelligence unfold naturally.
Elizabeth
Informative and clear accounting of the Montessori method of education. Contrasts Montessori method with traditional public education. Examples provided throughout. Perfect for those wanting overview but probably best to read Marie Montessori's books.

All three of our children have attended Montessori schools (#2 & #3 still do) and I love that they get to GO DEEP in their academic pursuits. As traditional schools move from curriculum based to skill based so much is lost.
Joseph
Reads like a long advertisement for Montessori's method of education. it is informative in the most general sense but definitely not the book you want to read if you are looking for an in depth exploration of her teaching principles, techniques, or even how her methods are viewed by the education establishment or experts in the fields of child development or child psychology.
Christina
Good overview of the Montessori approach and methods (since I can't yet work myself up to read Montessori's own writing). Things I like: the idea of the five great lessons and showing the child the whole world; encouraging student interaction with the community as part of learning; multiple years with the same teacher = no rush to learn to x in year y.
Jen
This book is well written and informative, but I was finding (oddly enough) that there was a lot of crossover with what had made sense to me about classical education. Most of the additional benefits of a Montessori education are related to the running of a classroom, but are also attainable in a homeschool setting.
Tammy
Reading this for my montessori moms book club; I'd recommend for parents with kids currently in or considering enrollment in an AMS or AMI montessori school in primary-elementary as it focuses most on these age groups. This book clarified some of the philosophy and will help me better describe our experience.
Suzanne
I LOVE Maria Montessori's approach to education. Children are really respected and raised to be independent thinkers. Lots of cool theories and well-developed, practical approaches to education in this book. Good for activities for young kids too for at-home educators and covers the whole spectrum.
Rachel
This is a great read, but the title is misleading - I expected this book literally to provide a comprehensive overview of Montessori from birth to adulthood, but instead it focuses almost exclusively on the elementary grades. Nevertheless, it was a helpful primer on the Montessori pedogogy.
stacy
A great book for anyone looking for a overview of the elementary approach to a Montessori education. A good balance of factual information and anectodes and observations of the approach in action in a Montessori school. Easy to read. Highly recommend.
Deborah Duke
I was looking for something that would show me what Montessori education looks like in the elementary years. Since this book covers birth through adulthood, it was a good choice. (Six of the ten chapters deal specifically with the elementary years.)
Kathryn
Excellent basic reference on the goals and methodology of Montessori educational philosophy. Not a whole lot of meat, but from my research, it seems to be one of the only books out there with broad-brushed treatment of its subject.
Jenny
Observing was the main point I got out of this book. We are in the classroom to help guide students. As long as they have direction and the tools then they can succeed at their own pace.
Sue
This gives an awesome and readable overview of the elementary curriculum of the Montessori program. Excellent for parents of children enrolled in Montessori education.
Katie
Was wanting more tangible advise on how Montessori is incorporated into education for the younger set. Still has some good information on the theory overall.
Kris Wood
It was exactly what it said it was....a great introduction to the Montessori philosophy. I am intrigued by the information presented!!!
Juliet
Jan 27, 2013 Juliet marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
a nice intro to what makes Montessori special and relevant. at times, the author is way too indulgent, but a good read nonetheless.
Tom
If you're looking to learn about Montessori, this is a good place to start. A bit dated, but still excellent.
Jonathan
This gives a great overview of the Montessori Method without getting too much into detail.
Tina Zellman
Gave a very good overview of the Montesorri philosophy. I enjoyed it.
Suzanne
Found this to be one of the best Montessori books geared towards parents.
Sally
I felt so excited about learning while reading this book!
Frederic
Frederic marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
  • Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius
  • How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • The Absorbent Mind
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • Montessori Madness!: A Parent to Parent Argument for Montessori Education
  • Montessori Play And Learn: A Parent's Guide to Purposeful Play from Two to Six
  • Maria Montessori: Her Life and Work
  • Theories of Childhood: An Introduction to Dewey, Montessori, Erikson, Piaget, and Vygotsky
  • Basic Montessori: Learning Activities For Under-Fives
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • Power of Play: How Spontaneous, Imaginative Activities Lead to Happier, Healthier Children
  • The Mother in Me: Real-World Reflections on Growing Into Motherhood
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Educating Your Child In Modern Times:  Raising An Intelligent, Sovereign, & Ethical Human Being
  • Project-Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners
  • The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three Montessori: A Modern Approach Montessori in the Classroom: A Teacher's Account of How Children Really Learn Montessori in the Classroom Brochure Montessori von Anfang an: Ein Praxishandbuch für die ersten drei Jahre des Kindes

“Our schools are no closer in connecting the education of children to their development as human beings: each child as an individual with a unique contribution to make to the world. Until this is done, our schools will fail to help children become active learners, connected to their society, and empowered to accomplish things within it.” 2 likes