Home Ice: Reflections on Backyard Rinks and Frozen Ponds

Home Ice: Reflections on Backyard Rinks and Frozen Ponds

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Home Ice is a collection of essays and memoirs celebrating the joys of one family's backyard rink and reflecting on the values and lessons of winters spent together. A bonus chapter explains how to build your own backyard rink.
Published November 1st 2000 by McGregor Publishing (first published September 1st 2000)

Susan
Jack Falla is a sports writer. I confess to considering that something of an oxymoron. Writing and sports were two things I considered to be on divergent ends of the entertainment spectrum. One is art, the other is brutality. This book proves me horribly wrong. In Home Ice, Falla wrote eloquently about childhood memories, snow shoveling, family life, and Wayne Gretzky, and made me see how all of them are inextricably connected. He almost made me want to be a hockey fan. (Almost.) He definitely m...more
Steven
An amazing book full of short stories, truly captures the essence of hockey.
SA
This was a lovely memoir of the home rinks Falla created over the years, and the interest he took in them as a writing subject. I've never skated on a home rink--I've never lived in a place cold enough to sustain one--but it was very vivid from his descriptions, and made me want to go skating. A real pleasure.
Don
This was an awesome book. Very nostalgic, it made me appreciate things in life more. I enjoyed all of the stories of family and loved ones and just plain having fun together.
Heidi
Great book - particularly if you like hockey. There's not a ton of the sport in this one. It's more about relationships and life with a backyard rink.
Jason
Fantastic collection of essays about, essentially, the pure joy of skating.
Erin
This book makes me yearn for home, NH. I loved it.
Rosemary
essays on a home ice rink and the love of skating outdoors.
Benn
Loved it, such a good read.
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Mike McCormick
Mike McCormick marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Ajay
Ajay marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Christine Taylor
Christine Taylor marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Kevin Macisaac
Kevin Macisaac marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Open Ice: Reflections and Confessions of a Hockey Lifer Saved Hockey: Learn to Play the Modern Way (Sports Illustrated Winner's Circle Books) Sports Illustrated Hockey: Learn To Play The Modern Way Hockey (Sports Illustrated Winner's Circle Books)