The Steampunk Detective

The Steampunk Detective

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  25 reviews
An orphan. The world’s greatest detective. A planet dominated by airships, steam powered spacecraft and towers that stretch into orbit.

Welcome to the world of The Steampunk Detective.

Jack Mason is an orphan wanting a new life. Ignatius Doyle is an aging detective who needs an assistant. When Jack goes to work for Mr Doyle, he has no idea what lies ahead.

They are called in...more
ebook
Published July 21st 2011 by Smashwords

A Dodge a Twist and a Tobacconist by Sophronia Belle LyonThe Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareGirl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil Foglio
Steampunk Adventures
69th out of 81 books — 111 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerAutomatic Woman by Nathan YocumClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareThe Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady CrossThe Iron Duke by Meljean Brook
Best Steampunk Novels
89th out of 115 books — 169 voters

More lists with this book...

Darrell Pitt
Jan 14, 2012 Darrell Pitt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm the author so I'm biased, but this is what other readers have had to say about "The Steampunk Detective"

The story is seamless, flawless... Your writing is magnificent. Natural, flowing, funny, sharp - it's addictive to read, and smart. Your characters are lovable, interesting, different. Jack is ingenious. I mean, YOU are ingenious, the inventions and the plans you come up with through your characters.

Melissa Norris

…an entertaining read that flies by, filled with action and intrigue.

Mena Gra...more
Jack Baillot
This is a wonderful book, filled throughout with Sherlock Holmes' references, which only made it all the more fun. This is book the worlds greatest detective is a man named Mr. Doyle who is about in his sixties. He lost his son in a war and his son's family blames him for it. He hires an orphan to help him with his cases, 16-year-old Jack. Together the two embark on a fast pasted mystery that lands them into all kinds of trouble and allows them to met many new characters.
They travel from Lond...more
Shawn Michael
Well, after re-reading "The Steampunk Detective" by Darrell Pitt, I've come to a couple of conclusions. Not only does the story stand up to repeat readings, it actually gets better, in my opinion. Various details and nuances came to my attention that made me appreciate Jack and Mr. Doyle's adventures even more. However, let me present an overview of the story before going further. The two main characters of the tale are Jack Mason, a sixteen year old orphan; and Mr. Ignatius Doyle, consulting de...more
Fred Hughes
This is definately a YA oriented story. I found the plot simplistic and the references to Sherlock Holmes distracting. I was looking for the Steampunk Detective, not a less capable clone of Sherlock Holmes.

The characters would be engaging to the YA crowd.

So the bottom line to me is if you are over 30 just pass this book right by, if under 30 you will probably enjoy it.
Keeline
This is a fun read. it is one i think my teen son would enjoy. i hope there is more adventure with these characters....cross fingers.
Erica
A fun interesting read that puts interesting twists into history!
Cierra
very confusing in some parts
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
It's a likable book that needs more care with its worldbuilding and structure. Well worth the 99 cents, though.

Jack Mason is a teenage orphan who is given employment with an eccentric man named Ignatius Doyle. It turns out that Doyle is a consulting detective who uses his keen deductive mind to solve difficult cases for queen and country. When a young woman named Scarlet seeks his help, it leads into a wild case involving a shadowy secret society from the time of Da Vinci, and some very modern f...more
Sharon
OK, so I stepped outside my usual genre with this one, however I wasn't disappointed. The Steampunk Detective is a classic detective story with a steampunk theme.

Written in the vein of Sherlock Holmes, and set in Victorian London, we are introduced to orphan Jack Mason who is given a second chance when he is placed in the employ of Ignatious Doyle a Consulting Detective.

We follow the adventures of Jack and Mr Doyle as they track down and expose the mysterious Phoenix Society, travelling from Lo...more
Steve
Any book that has good characters with some level of depth gets a high score for me.

New to the steampunk Genre this was an experiment that I enjoyed and await further adventures of what to me could become a great new detective partnership.

Is there anything I didn't like, well I kept expecting more circus stunts to come forward after all the main character is from a circus family and those skills I look forward to being expanded in the next book (please let there be a next book Darrell) and also...more
David Schwan
A quick and fun read. The book is set in London after the first world war. The detective and his new assistant solve a case of a missing person, and we are led in a tour of London in the solving of the crime. The principal characters are the best feature of the book. It would have been nice to see the villain's character better developed.

There were a few places where it was obvious that the author is not from the UK (several anachronisms).

One complaint is that there are airships equipped with m...more
Nathan
The writing flows very well. It's a smooth mix of action, suspense, twists, and comedy. Excellent steampunk scenery throughout.
Mena Grazie
What if the world's greatest detective wasn't Mr. Holmes? What if Dr. Watson was a 16-year-old orphaned circus performed? What if the atomic bomb had been invented during Victoria's reign?

These and other burning questions are answered in "The Steampunk Detective". It's an entertaining read that flies by, filled with action and intrigue. Easier to resolve than one of Mr. Holmes' cases, but still an enjoyable romp on a summer's day or weekend afternoon.
Scott
This was one of the first books I bought when I got my Kindle Fire. Now for 99 cents I was not expecting the next great American novel. But I did enjoy myself. Now it did have some cheesy parts or a high Velveeta factor (because it's the cheesiest). It had some very strong comparison to Sherlock Holmes. The main characters name is Doyle really and the young orphan has a lot in common with Robin (from Batman). But for what U pay it's a good read.
Karen
A quick read. The premise was interesting with a Sherlock type character and a young ex-circus performer orphan as a sidekick in a steampunk alternate universe. Unfortunately it suffers from the same problems as the original Holmes tales in that the author doesn't provide the reader all the clues needed to solve the mystery. Instead he relays on the main character's encyclopedic knowledge to provide the next clue in the chain.
Drea
I really enjoyed this book from Darrell Pitt and look forward to reading any additional books in this series, if it is a series. The characters were likable and I thought the writing done well. I liked the nod to Holmes throughout the book and the steampunk elements where things are sorta like they are in history, but not quite. It is a YA book and I knew that going into it, so wasn't expecting adult steampunk :-)
Stanley Carter
An enjoyable book. But I had to knock off a star because of some dangling modifiers. For instance: "Gently closing the door behind him, his eyes searched the ramshackle interior..."
And "Wearing a long black dress, her face looked as if carved from ivory." But even with the writing mistakes, the book should be a worthwhile read for steampunk and Holmes fans.
Jeffrey
It's a simple tale, well told. Comes across initially as being more like fan-fiction than a standalone work of it's own, but warms up along the way. Sadly, this is the first work of fiction that I'm reading this year, so I rushed through it at breakneck speed, but whilst it was a decent enough read, I'm not sure it's worth re-reading, at least not in the near future.
Christopher Grunden

really enjoyed this book. i'm a sucker for victorian adventure stories, so this was right up my allley. characters that i actually found interesting (if not a little familiar), and a great caper story to boot. eagerly waiting for the inevitable sequel.
Epistretes
Quite enjoyable. The identity of the bad guy was actually fairly obvious but that did not detract from it. Reminded me of a (slightly better written) steampunk Alex Rider.

I will be interested if a sequel comes out and will heartily recommend it to my teenage sister.
Shelly
Jan 09, 2013 Shelly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Andrew
I liked this. Not quite enough steampunk for me but probably perfect for the younger readers it was intended for. Good story that moves quickly and the characters are great there was just something not there for me to rate it higher than 3 stars.
Chechoui
Great read at a bargain price! It's a YA Steampunk tale that reminded me of the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld. Fast moving, good action, and nice development of the relationship between Jack and Mr. Doyle. I hope this becomes a series!
Raven Ward
I thought this book was pretty good. There were some parts where it was a little long winded or didn't flow but overall a good read! I enjoyed how the author took real life events and turned them into the story with a Steampunk twist.
Jdshipengrover
This was a $.99 Kindle book, it started out rather intersting, but it can't decide if its a Holmesean mystery or a YA book or what. It's confusing, the idea is interesting, just didn't quite pull it off in my opinion...
Jane
Sep 14, 2012 Jane added it
A cute twist on classic Sherlock Holmes. The hero even at 221 Bee St. If you like YA adventure stories, you'll love this one.
Mad Scientist
I loved this adventure. Twists and turns all over the pages. I was on edge until I completed this one.
James Lacey
Very fun book! Really enjoyed this story and it's creativity. I will definitely read more from this author!
Jill
Would recommend this for 'tween readers.
Timmain
3.5 Stars. Lots of adventure.
Brad Gill
I hate it so much
  • Gears of Wonderland
  • Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus
  • Like Clockwork
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum (The Magnetron Chronicles, #1)
  • Viridis (Viridis, #1)
  • Scourge: A Grim Doyle Adventure (Grim Doyle Adventures, #1)
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Lady of Devices (Magnificent Devices, #1)
  • A Clockwork Fairytale
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • The Chronological Man: The Martian Emperor
  • Flash Gold (Flash Gold Chronicles #1)
  • Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith #1)
  • The Horns of Ruin
  • The Steampunk Trilogy
  • The 19 Dragons
Diary of a Teenage Superhero (Teen Superheroes, #1) The Doomsday Device (Teen Superheroes #2) The Battle for Earth (Teen Superheroes, #3) Secrets of Successful Writers The Firebird Mystery