Start by marking “The Steampunk Detective” as Want to Read:
The Steampunk Detective

The Steampunk Detective

An orphan. The world’s greatest detective. A planet dominated by airships, steam powered spacecraft and towers that stretch into orbit.

Welcome to the world of The Steampunk Detective.

Jack Mason is an orphan wanting a new life. Ignatius Doyle is an aging detective who needs an assistant. When Jack goes to work for Mr Doyle, he has no idea what lies ahead.

They are called in
Nook, 306 pages
Published July 21st 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about The Steampunk Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Steampunk Detective

Darrell Pitt
Dec 23, 2013 Darrell Pitt rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm the author so I'm biased, but this is what other readers have had to say about "The Steampunk Detective"

The story is seamless, flawless... Your writing is magnificent. Natural, flowing, funny, sharp - it's addictive to read, and smart. Your characters are lovable, interesting, different. Jack is ingenious. I mean, YOU are ingenious, the inventions and the plans you come up with through your characters.

Melissa Norris

…an entertaining read that flies by, filled with action and intrigue.

Mena Gra
Jack Baillot
Mar 25, 2012 Jack Baillot rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book, filled throughout with Sherlock Holmes' references, which only made it all the more fun. This is book the worlds greatest detective is a man named Mr. Doyle who is about in his sixties. He lost his son in a war and his son's family blames him for it. He hires an orphan to help him with his cases, 16-year-old Jack. Together the two embark on a fast pasted mystery that lands them into all kinds of trouble and allows them to met many new characters.
They travel from Lond
Fred Hughes
This is definately a YA oriented story. I found the plot simplistic and the references to Sherlock Holmes distracting. I was looking for the Steampunk Detective, not a less capable clone of Sherlock Holmes.

The characters would be engaging to the YA crowd.

So the bottom line to me is if you are over 30 just pass this book right by, if under 30 you will probably enjoy it.
Keeline
Apr 23, 2012 Keeline rated it really liked it
This is a fun read. it is one i think my teen son would enjoy. i hope there is more adventure with these characters....cross fingers.
Cierra
Apr 16, 2012 Cierra rated it really liked it
very confusing in some parts
Erica
Mar 29, 2012 Erica rated it liked it
A fun interesting read that puts interesting twists into history!
Shawn Michael
Feb 01, 2014 Shawn Michael rated it it was amazing
Well, after re-reading "The Steampunk Detective" by Darrell Pitt, I've come to a couple of conclusions. Not only does the story stand up to repeat readings, it actually gets better, in my opinion. Various details and nuances came to my attention that made me appreciate Jack and Mr. Doyle's adventures even more. However, let me present an overview of the story before going further. The two main characters of the tale are Jack Mason, a sixteen year old orphan; and Mr. Ignatius Doyle, consulting ...more
D.M. Dutcher
Aug 28, 2012 D.M. Dutcher rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk, indie
It's a likable book that needs more care with its worldbuilding and structure. Well worth the 99 cents, though.

Jack Mason is a teenage orphan who is given employment with an eccentric man named Ignatius Doyle. It turns out that Doyle is a consulting detective who uses his keen deductive mind to solve difficult cases for queen and country. When a young woman named Scarlet seeks his help, it leads into a wild case involving a shadowy secret society from the time of Da Vinci, and some very modern f
Sharon
May 16, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
OK, so I stepped outside my usual genre with this one, however I wasn't disappointed. The Steampunk Detective is a classic detective story with a steampunk theme.

Written in the vein of Sherlock Holmes, and set in Victorian London, we are introduced to orphan Jack Mason who is given a second chance when he is placed in the employ of Ignatious Doyle a Consulting Detective.

We follow the adventures of Jack and Mr Doyle as they track down and expose the mysterious Phoenix Society, travelling from Lo
David Schwan
Jan 10, 2012 David Schwan rated it liked it
A quick and fun read. The book is set in London after the first world war. The detective and his new assistant solve a case of a missing person, and we are led in a tour of London in the solving of the crime. The principal characters are the best feature of the book. It would have been nice to see the villain's character better developed.

There were a few places where it was obvious that the author is not from the UK (several anachronisms).

One complaint is that there are airships equipped with m
Steve
Jun 20, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
Any book that has good characters with some level of depth gets a high score for me.

New to the steampunk Genre this was an experiment that I enjoyed and await further adventures of what to me could become a great new detective partnership.

Is there anything I didn't like, well I kept expecting more circus stunts to come forward after all the main character is from a circus family and those skills I look forward to being expanded in the next book (please let there be a next book Darrell) and also
Karen
May 31, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books, steampunk
A quick read. The premise was interesting with a Sherlock type character and a young ex-circus performer orphan as a sidekick in a steampunk alternate universe. Unfortunately it suffers from the same problems as the original Holmes tales in that the author doesn't provide the reader all the clues needed to solve the mystery. Instead he relays on the main character's encyclopedic knowledge to provide the next clue in the chain.
Mena Grazie
Oct 10, 2011 Mena Grazie rated it liked it
What if the world's greatest detective wasn't Mr. Holmes? What if Dr. Watson was a 16-year-old orphaned circus performed? What if the atomic bomb had been invented during Victoria's reign?

These and other burning questions are answered in "The Steampunk Detective". It's an entertaining read that flies by, filled with action and intrigue. Easier to resolve than one of Mr. Holmes' cases, but still an enjoyable romp on a summer's day or weekend afternoon.
Drea
Dec 11, 2012 Drea rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book from Darrell Pitt and look forward to reading any additional books in this series, if it is a series. The characters were likable and I thought the writing done well. I liked the nod to Holmes throughout the book and the steampunk elements where things are sorta like they are in history, but not quite. It is a YA book and I knew that going into it, so wasn't expecting adult steampunk :-)
Scott
Jul 09, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it
This was one of the first books I bought when I got my Kindle Fire. Now for 99 cents I was not expecting the next great American novel. But I did enjoy myself. Now it did have some cheesy parts or a high Velveeta factor (because it's the cheesiest). It had some very strong comparison to Sherlock Holmes. The main characters name is Doyle really and the young orphan has a lot in common with Robin (from Batman). But for what U pay it's a good read.
Jeffrey
Jun 18, 2012 Jeffrey rated it liked it
It's a simple tale, well told. Comes across initially as being more like fan-fiction than a standalone work of it's own, but warms up along the way. Sadly, this is the first work of fiction that I'm reading this year, so I rushed through it at breakneck speed, but whilst it was a decent enough read, I'm not sure it's worth re-reading, at least not in the near future.
Stanley Carter
Aug 10, 2012 Stanley Carter rated it liked it
An enjoyable book. But I had to knock off a star because of some dangling modifiers. For instance: "Gently closing the door behind him, his eyes searched the ramshackle interior..."
And "Wearing a long black dress, her face looked as if carved from ivory." But even with the writing mistakes, the book should be a worthwhile read for steampunk and Holmes fans.
Raven Ward
Jan 13, 2013 Raven Ward rated it really liked it
I thought this book was pretty good. There were some parts where it was a little long winded or didn't flow but overall a good read! I enjoyed how the author took real life events and turned them into the story with a Steampunk twist.
Chechoui
Jan 27, 2013 Chechoui rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Great read at a bargain price! It's a YA Steampunk tale that reminded me of the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld. Fast moving, good action, and nice development of the relationship between Jack and Mr. Doyle. I hope this becomes a series!
Jdshipengrover
May 08, 2012 Jdshipengrover rated it did not like it
This was a $.99 Kindle book, it started out rather intersting, but it can't decide if its a Holmesean mystery or a YA book or what. It's confusing, the idea is interesting, just didn't quite pull it off in my opinion...
els reid
Aug 16, 2012 els reid rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyable. The identity of the bad guy was actually fairly obvious but that did not detract from it. Reminded me of a (slightly better written) steampunk Alex Rider.

I will be interested if a sequel comes out and will heartily recommend it to my teenage sister.
Shelly
Jan 09, 2013 Shelly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Andrew
I liked this. Not quite enough steampunk for me but probably perfect for the younger readers it was intended for. Good story that moves quickly and the characters are great there was just something not there for me to rate it higher than 3 stars.
Christopher Grunden
Oct 09, 2012 Christopher Grunden rated it really liked it

really enjoyed this book. i'm a sucker for victorian adventure stories, so this was right up my allley. characters that i actually found interesting (if not a little familiar), and a great caper story to boot. eagerly waiting for the inevitable sequel.
Mad Scientist
I loved this adventure. Twists and turns all over the pages. I was on edge until I completed this one.
James Lacey
Apr 04, 2013 James Lacey rated it it was amazing
Very fun book! Really enjoyed this story and it's creativity. I will definitely read more from this author!
Jane
Sep 14, 2012 Jane added it
A cute twist on classic Sherlock Holmes. The hero even at 221 Bee St. If you like YA adventure stories, you'll love this one.
Nathan
Feb 05, 2014 Nathan rated it really liked it
The writing flows very well. It's a smooth mix of action, suspense, twists, and comedy. Excellent steampunk scenery throughout.
Charles James
Charles James rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Donald
Donald rated it did not like it
Jun 16, 2014
Steffen Nyeland
Steffen Nyeland rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus
  • Scourge: A Grim Doyle Adventure (Grim Doyle Adventures, #1)
  • Gears of Wonderland
  • Timepiece
  • Like Clockwork
  • Leviathan Rising (Pax Britannia, #2)
  • Gears of a Mad God: A Steampunk Lovecraft Adventure (Gears of a Mad God, #1)
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • Dancing
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • The 19 Dragons
  • Lady of Devices (Magnificent Devices, #1)
  • The Dark Victorian: Risen Volume One
  • The Chronological Man: The Monster In The Mist
  • The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes, #2)
  • A Clockwork Christmas