Start by marking “The Skating Pond” as Want to Read:
The Skating Pond

The Skating Pond

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In the summer, tourists come in droves to the pond in the tiny coastal town of Stonington, Maine, to see the early-morning lilies in bloom. But in the winter, the pond belongs to the locals-especially to a beautiful figure skater named Doreen Johnson, and to the boys who play hockey. It is at this pond that a tragedy occurs-a devastating accident that will thrust one teena ...more
Published February 3rd 2004 by Berkley Trade (first published January 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Skating Pond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skating Pond

Kristine Lopez
INAPPROPRIATE for KIDS not old enough to think like an adult. Really. The first few pages were okay but it became gruesome when the child's mother had the accident. and then, when the family fell apart and the child is all alone..... a fifteen year-old posing nude to be painted bu a man 30 years OLDER than she is and then two days later they had ***?! that is so like unbelievable. she is a KID and then he's a grown MAN with a wife! and it all started when she was jogging on the sidewalk and beca ...more
I finished it, but I didn't really care for the story. I couldn't root for the heroine, and the ending was confusing.
Jamie Ekens
Captivating book. But the ending is stupid. >.<
Laura Bohnert
This book is extremely easy to fall into, marring the crude sexual content which seems to be a little extreme at times causing me to question the shelf upon which I found the book.... Other than that, it is a unique story that haunts you for a few days with the representation of spirit and, in the end, broken spirit and the fragility of a person/ persona. It compares impulse to choice and reflects despairing consequences.
I have to say that I was hooked, the whole accident and the future wreck ahead was captivating, but not necessarily in a good way. By the time I got to the end I was sick of the protagonist's stupidity and naivete, it was forgivable when she was younger, but three children and a marriage later and she still hasn't learned anything???
Story of child whose mother is a beautiful, frustrated figure skater and the father is a distant painter. Tragedy is all over in the book. The story finally boils down to who one family rises above tragedy and one family sinks beneath the weight. I can't say I would recommend this book because there are just too many downers.
Carol Johnson
Beautifully written. I hope this author writes many more! A love story about addictive, devastating love and loyal, deep, nourishing love. Lots of different relationships....mother/child, husband/wife, daughter-in-law/mother-in-law.....sweet stories!
Dec 29, 2010 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beka , I think you might just like this one !
Shelves: fiction
Weird , in a weirdly wonderful way ! While the book is not for everyone , I appreciated the story's ability to remind how unforeseen events can shape an entire life . Corey's almost poetic writing style added to the story as well ;-)
Interesting beginning about young girl whose mother is badly disfigured in a skating accident. As a teenager, the girl ends up in an abusive relationship with an older man, an artist who spends time in a isolated Maine studio.
I had a hard time finishing it coz it's a sad story to the core.
Katherine Gould
A beautifully written book.
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Christine Clydesdale
Christine Clydesdale marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Stacey marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Jenika Conboy
Jenika Conboy marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Trudy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Andrea marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015