Unforgotten

Unforgotten

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  17 reviews

After five years, lawyer Hugh Gwynne's most difficult case has finally come to court. His client Tom Deacon is claiming damages for post-traumatic stress after a car accident in which he witnessed the death of his young daughter by fire. The case is going well; it seems certain Tom will win the compensation that will enable him to pick up the pieces of his shattered life.

Published 2008 by Pan

Iain  Edward Henn
Clare Francis writes crime fiction that has a haunting, ethereal quality to it, and that is certainly the case with this novel. The main character, Hugh Gwynne, is a lawyer who suffers a traumatic personal tragedy, whilst in the midst of an emotionally-charged child custody case for his client.

Readers of courtroom dramas should enjoy this, and for those unfamiliar with Ms. Francis, her style sometimes reminds me of the writing of fellow British author Robert Goddard, and the crime fiction of cla...more
Marie
After five years, lawyer Hugh Gwynne's most difficult case has finally come to court. His client Tom Deacon is claiming damages for post-traumatic stress after a car accident in which he witnessed the death of his young daughter by fire. The case is going well, it seems certain Tom will win the compensation that will enable him to pick up the pieces of his shattered life. Then Hugh receives an anonymous letter that throws him into an impossible dilemma. To stay on the case is unethical, to withd...more
Ant Harrison
It was a while since I last read a Clare Francis novel, and I can't, in all honesty, say that I was glad to have gone back to her. The plot of Unforgotten starts with a dreary civil court case about a chap suing an insurance company for a massive payout due to his apparent PTSD; I found this part of the story particularly tedious and almost gave up at that point. About a third of the way through the book shifts focus to Hugh, the main protagonist and solicitor, and his fight to discover who kill...more
Trawets
This is the first book by Clare Francis that I can remember reading, and whilst it was a reasonable read, I can't say I will be searching out other books by this author.
It concerns a lawyer representing a client claiming damages for post traumatic stress following the death of his daughter in a horrific car accident. The lawyer's wife is then killed in a house fire which he is convinced was arson.
It was a good enough story but for me it lacked pace, it seemed ages before we got to the main plot,...more
Kate
Upon completion the word that came to mind and stayed there two days after was, drum roll please….. average. Yep average in every way - not always a bad thing this was perfect to read before bed but not really one to rave about.

A moderately intriguing story line which took some time to build. Once we got there essentially it is about a dependable sort of chap representing a less than dependable chap claiming damages for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). A few surprises follow that are best...more
Shonna Froebel
Hugh Gwynne is a lawyer working on the most difficult case of his career, claiming damages for his client, Tom Deacon, who is suffering from PTSD after being unable to save his young daughter from burning up in a car accident. Hugh and his wife Lizzie have raised two children, Charlie and Lou. Both children are adopted and Lou is doing well, although Charlie is getting past his drug addiction.
When something happens to throw Hugh's personal life into turmoil, he gives way to his instincts against...more
Elizabeth Bailey
This was the second Clare Francis book I read and I didn't enjoy it as much as Deceit. That said, I did enjoy it! I liked the hero very much, and found it hard to take when things changed for him drastically, though of course I realised we had been set up for it - clever writing! I found the build-up of the clues confusing, and the denouement was rushed for me.

I gather Clare Francis was ailing when she wrote this book, and perhaps that's why. I'd like to read more of her. I still think she write...more
Amanda Patterson
Is Post Traumatic Stress real?

Plagued by nightmares, guilt, depression and other PTS symptoms, Tom Deacon, tries to outsmart the legal system.
His lawyer, Hugh Gwynne faces his own personal tragedy during the trial and has to withdraw from the case as he uncovers police deception and corruption

Clare Francis creates great tension that is not resolved until the end. The two story lines can be confusing at times.
Judy
A good easy read, which one tends to dwell on after the book is finished. Clare Francis builds her plots around the sort of people one meets in everyday life and she does it very well indeed, creating interesting diversions around personality issues. Should probably be rated more than three stars.
Eleni
Interesting with twists to the plot!
Jo

I really liked the last Clare Francis book I read, but I found this one disappointing, not really gripping, the two strands of plot seemed totally separate and neither was that interesting. Oh well.
James Findley
A fine read that kept my attention from start to finish. I thought I had it sorted but was thrown a curve at the end. Well done!!
Patrick Carroll
I like Claire Francis' novels, she manages to keep the tension going and hides the twists and tunrs of the plot well.
Rina Coetzee gous
A good enough who dunnit/ thriller but i will not be rushing out to buy all her books
Sanna
Felt like a final twist never happened, not very satisfying ending.
Sharron
Poor, poor, poor I'll be leaving it on the boat!
Celia
Excellent. Couldn't put it down
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Bruce Simpson
Bruce Simpson marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Sandi
Sandi marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014