Start by marking “Sesher Kobita, The Last Poem” as Want to Read:

Sesher Kobita, The Last Poem

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,240 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Translation of a major work by Rabindranath Tagore
Paperback
Published January 31st 2007 by Rupa & Co (first published August 1928)

To ask other readers questions about Sesher Kobita, The Last Poem, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Niradhip
Apr 10, 2013 Niradhip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
Tagore’s ‘The Last Poem’ is a real treat to read. He wrote this novel at the later stage of his life but the rhythm is as usual and which is always reflected from his writings. It’s a love story between Amit and Lavanya. The plot had been sketched in the beautiful hill station of Shillong. The protagonists met because of a small motor accident and soon they found an intense chemistry between them. They discovered philosophy through their poetry. ‘The last Poem’ is a very modern story. The way he ...more
Ansarul Karim Jamee
When first time I read Shesher Kobita probably 15 to 16 years back, it seemed to me that it was nothing more but a average rated book. However I didn't know why I felt interest to read it again. Then I started again to read and I read it 4 times at a stretch. The more I read the book, the more I felt that there was something more in the depth. Still today whenever I get chance I open the book at any page and read and get the same feeling again and again.
Moumita Hride
Mar 26, 2017 Moumita Hride rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
আমি মুগধ! বিমোহিত! "শেষের কবিতা" সব দিক দিয়ে অসাধারণ সৃষটি বাংলা সাহিতযের! লাবণযর পরেমে পরে গেছি! নাকি নিজের ভিতর লাবণযর ছায়া দেখতে পেয়েছি?!
সে যাই হোক! জয় হোক কবি গুরুর! :D
Purba Chakraborty
An amazing and exceptional book is the one that you feel to re read once again from the 1st page after you have completed it. It is a very rare feeling which occurs to any reader after reading a book and Tagore's "The Last Poem" is one such gem. It is a saga, an epic love story. Tagore has brilliantly weaved poetry with prose and made every page of the book beautiful. The novel is deep, witty and extremely romantic. It is the type of book that will linger in the minds of the readers for long. Th ...more
Arman R. Khan
Feb 22, 2016 Arman R. Khan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I finally read Shesher Kobita. It took me a long time to pick up the book for I was daunted by the difficulty of the language. And that's exactly why it took me over a month to complete reading this fantastic book.

Now, what a book! It's more than just a love story. The dialogues between the lovers were culturally and ideologically rich alongside being romantic (which, by the way, may seem a little corny at this point in time). Some of the concepts discussed are way ahead of its time. The
Sudipta
Jul 01, 2013 Sudipta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Shesher Kobita' translated as the 'The last poem' is an unique amalgamation of poetry with prose. A quietly thought provoking love story, through which Tagore brings forth his philosophy on what defines love, its bindings and ultimately what it takes to find true liberation in that all encompassing emotion of the heart. The exchanges between Amit and Lavanya, through poetry, is magical, though I am sure to have missed out on what was lost in translation. At times like this, I feel truly sorry f ...more
Amit
Feb 16, 2012 Amit rated it really liked it
Sadly, even with an updated translation, the poetry --so essential to the novel's plot--remains stilted and awkward in English. The premise of the book, and it's relation to Tagore's own literary status in Bengal at the time, make this a treasure of world literature and definitely marks him as an experimentalist and high modernist of the first order.
Shounak
Jun 27, 2013 Shounak rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A beautiful lyrical narrative from Tagore ,the eminent writer...the characters Amit and Labanya remains eternally etched in our hearts... A must read , a book to be read and re-read ... to be forever treasured!
Shafiul Joy
গভীরতাহীন বেহুদা তরল পাকনামি- পরতযেকটা চরিতর একই দোষে আকরানত ! ...more
Neha

Book: The Last Poem
Author: Rabindranath Tagore translated by Dilip Basu
Rating: 3/5 ⭐⭐⭐

Poetry is 'life's commentary in verse'.

This book stands testimonial to these words. Life and love are best explained in poetry. Mathew Arnold has called poetry the "criticism of life". I feel poetry is appreciation of life, even sadness, ugly and tragedies in poetry become beautiful.

Rabindranath Tagore is known for his various feats as an artist and philosopher - but it was poetry that reflected in all his fie
Vrinda
Mosharaf Hossain
Jan 01, 2017 Mosharaf Hossain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
পরথমবার পড়তে গিয়ে দাঁতে দাঁত লেগে গিয়েছিল, দবিতীয় বার বেশ উপভোগ করে পড়লাম। আহ পরেম, অসাধারণ। ...more
Mahmuda Shongskrity
May 08, 2015 Mahmuda Shongskrity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
The book is about a platonic love of a matured couple. The protagonist Amit, a confident, self-occupied, unyielding being who loves to attack people around him by his witty talks, but doesn't consider them capable of getting him, finally finds his worth a million listener, a girl named Labanya. Labanya, on the other hand, had always devoted herself to the study and was never interested to rise her eyes from the books until she met Amit through a car accident which bound them together. The Shillo ...more
Indira
Nov 20, 2013 Indira rated it it was amazing
I was fifteen. Love was around the corner. In fact, everywhere around me. Just then, I discovered that love exists within me and the object of love is nearly immaterial for the intensity of feelings. Nibaran is Amit but Amit can't be Nibaran. One is about understanding life and the other about experiencing it. Lavanya and Ketaki are but two forms of devotion. One that possesses and the other that reveres. And I remain to this day torn between love that inspires life and life that makes it seem w ...more
Chandra
May 18, 2016 Chandra rated it it was amazing
one of the best books i have ever read...ofcourse i have read it twice at a same time becoz i have read its every line twice... my eyes went to the first eord of every line n automaticaly my eyes read the lines twice . Gurudev has written the large dimension of love in ink which a few people can get experienced...but those few people never can write down it in words..
Claire
Jul 31, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it
'It has repeatedly occurred to me, when I've read about love in literature, that love becomes a tragedy when human beings, even while recognizing each other's need for independence, have refused to be content with this realisation. They have tried to remould, recreate each other in the way they desire, they have forcibly wanted to graft their own desires to someone else.'
Adnan Sharif
May 13, 2013 Adnan Sharif rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
বাংলা সাহিতযের অনযতম কালজয়ী উপনযাস এটি । অমিত ও লাবণয চরিতর দুটি অতযনত তাৎপরযপূরণ । এদের বিচছেদের মাধযমে হৃদয়ে এক ধরনের শূণযতার হাহাকারের সৃষটি হয় ।

Readers would like to read this kind of book again and again.
Shadman
May 14, 2013 Shadman rated it it was amazing
Probably the best romantic novel I have ever read ... the way Tagore defined the depth of love through the sweet love story of Amit & Labonno is Incredible .. there are so many lines that touched my heart .. really a nice Novel by R.Tagore
Priyanka Mitra
Rabindranath was 63 years old when he wrote this beautiful novel,it brings a new philosophy of Love when the novel described the pletonic love between Amit & Labonya
Shanta
Mar 05, 2013 Shanta rated it it was amazing
Philosophy of love
Faria
Sep 05, 2016 Faria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably would have enjoyed this work a lot more if I had a better grasp of the Bangla language. I think I might read it again sometime in the future.
Sabita Mehra
Mar 09, 2013 Sabita Mehra rated it really liked it
Rather audacious and far ahead of its time.
Vasav Dave
Apr 02, 2015 Vasav Dave rated it it was amazing
It is the most beautiful book I've ever read. I am bound to do unjust If I dare review it.
Tasnim Binta Saif
Jul 28, 2016 Tasnim Binta Saif rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
এই সেই বই যাকে মানুষ কবিতার বই বলে ভুল করে।
এরপর জানতে পারে এটি আসলে উপনযাস!
একটি মূলযবান তথয বটে।
উপনযাস টি পড়া শুরু করলাম। মূল চরিতর অমিত আর লাবণয।
অমিত এরকম এক ছেলে যে সারাদিন পড়ালেখায় নিজেকে ডুবিয়ে রাখে। অনেক মেয়ের তাকে পছনদ হলেও অমিত সবার সাথে মেশে সবাভাবিক ভঙগিতেই।
কারো পরতি তার বিশেষ আকরষণ জনমায় না।
এই অমিতেরই ঘটনা চকরে পরিচয় হয় লাবণযর সাথে শহর থেকে দূরে পাহাড় বেষটিত এক সথানে যেখানে সে ছুটি কাটাতে গিয়েছিল।
তারপর আর কি!
পরেমে পড়লে যা হয় তাই হলো। সেই অমিত ভালবাসার তোড়ে আমূল বদলে যেতে লাগল।
লাবণয ও ক
Shreoshi Mukherjee
Aug 01, 2016 Shreoshi Mukherjee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There are love stories which come complete with utopic endings. There are some others where either of the girl or the guy dies and the author banks on our tears and emotions to make it a sleeper hit, and then comes SHESHER KOBITA. A love story so refined in its taste, and mature in its outlook that it makes one stagger and hold on to it for a really long time.
Naturally being born in a BONG household I was introduced to Tagore at a very early age. I had read shesher kobita when I was in class 7,
Upasna Banerjee
Feb 01, 2014 Upasna Banerjee rated it it was amazing
Amit is reckless, feckless, having nothing in his life that has a prospect of longevity. He loves to talk but lacks a listener capable of comprehending the seriousness behind his endless verbal showmanship, a listener who can even inspire or discover that vein of seriousness. His life lacks meaning and purpose; the business of doing nothing except arguing and judging the caprices of his society leaves him with nothing to savor and no cause to pursue.

Labonyo an unrealistic sense of her own superi
Simran
Apr 13, 2015 Simran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Bangla Literature
"সাহিতযে ভালোবাসার বই যতই পড়লেম এই কথাটা বার বার আমার মনে হয়েছে, ভালোবাসার টরাজেডি ঘটে সেইখানেই যেখানে পরসপরকে সবতনতর জেনে মানুষ সনতুষট থাকতে পারে নি, নিজের ইচছেকে অনযের ইচছে করবার জনযে যেখানে জুলুম, যেখানে মনে করি আপন মনের মতো করে বদলিয়ে অনযকে সৃষটি করব।"

Saifullah Al Amin
May 10, 2015 Saifullah Al Amin rated it it was amazing
This novel discloses Tagore's personal view to those that were trying to escape from the penumbra of his legacy and questioning his work at literature, but surely proves his amazing build up skill and versatility.

As usual, an unusual and depressing ending. Since I am not very good with literature, the plot was pretty confusing to me as well as the departing part in the end.

I have read the novel 4 times at a stretch and still confused. If someone else have already read this, I would like to discu
Uttam Pal
May 17, 2011 Uttam Pal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Uttam by: no one
Souravi Sarkar
Apr 12, 2015 Souravi Sarkar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
It makes me realize that eternal love is not about getting tied in the bond of holy matrimony but about the mutual respect towards each others' desires.Love is never about staying together holding each others' hands,it is about cherishing each other in moments of sorrow and happiness.Beautiful thoughts and beautiful poems,in one word,I cannot imagine a better romantic novel than this.
  • Aparajito, Yang tak Terkalahkan
  • টেনিদা সমগ্র
  • দেবী চৌধুরানী
  • উপেন্দ্রকিশোর সমগ্র
  • আকাশ জোড়া মেঘ
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess
More about Rabindranath Tagore...

“বিধাতার রাজ্যে ভালো জিনিস অল্প বলেই তা ভালো, নইলে সে নিজেরই ভিড়ের ঠেলায় হয়ে যেত মাঝারি।” 14 likes
“শিকল নেই যার সে বাঁধে আফিম খাইয়ে, অর্থাৎ মায়া দিয়ে শিকলওয়ালা বাঁধে বটে, কিন্তু ভোলায় না; আফিমওয়ালী বাঁধেও বটে, ভোলায়ও।” 4 likes