Start by marking “The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 01” as Want to Read:
The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 01

The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 01 (The Earl and The Fairy #1)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  5,135 Ratings  ·  187 Reviews
Lydia Carlton is a fairy doctor, one of the few people with the ability to see the magical creatures who share our world. During one of her rare trips to London to visit her father, Lydia’s quiet life is suddenly transformed when she is rescued from kidnappers by a mysterious young man!

Edgar Ashenbert claims to be descended from the human ruler of the fairy kingdom, and h
Published March 6th 2012 by VIZ Media LLC (first published November 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 01, please sign up.

Grace it should say at the back, if it doesnt just read it backwards its simple when you get the hang of it
Black Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana TobosoPandora Hearts 1巻 by Jun MochizukiFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaA Bride's Story, Vol. 1 by Kaoru MoriKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Best Manga Art
232 books — 214 voters
Pandora Hearts, Volume 7 by Jun MochizukiBlack Butler, Vol. 6 by Yana TobosoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaKimi ni Todoke by Karuho ShiinaBlack Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana Toboso
Best Manga Covers
521 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
Nov 10, 2014 Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan) rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-shōjo
There’s nothing overly complex about The Earl and the Fairy. You have a fairy doctor whose sole occupation is helping fairies, whether it’s with internal fairy conflicts or their conflicts with humans. Then you have a mysterious Earl who seeks her assistance for some tricky nobility contentions. The two formulate a unique friendship, one that is constantly questioned by a sassy, bow-tie wearing, whisky-drinking kitty cat (upon seeing said feline, I was totally sold).

The characters, although qui
Sesana
Sadly, not for me. I was drawn in by the very pretty art on the cover and the promise of a Victorian story with fairies. The art certainly didn't dissappoint me. The clothing was especially well done. And I did like Lydia, the fairy doctor, as well as the little bit we get to see of the fairies. But the plot as a whole wasn't drawing me in, and I have to say that I dislike Edgar. There just wasn't enough that was good to keep me going.
Rabia
Jan 10, 2013 Rabia rated it it was amazing
When he says "smile for me." I'm just looking and going... y..yes sir, whatever you say.

He is almost completely like Usui from Kaichou wa Maid-Sama!!!! Thanks to that, I love him already!!!

Anyways, the manga, The Earl and the Fairy, is about a guy named Edgar, who is amazingly irresistibly hot and handsome and wants to succeed his ancestor's will. It is said that the man with the most noble blood from the family will receive the chance to obtain a position and will be able to see fairies and oth
Amy Keeley
Apr 09, 2012 Amy Keeley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romance readers, fans of bad boy characters, fantasy readers
Shelves: manga
The Earl and the Fairy has a lot of typical shoujo manga/romance elements. We have the "wealthy, bad boy up to no good hero", involved with the "far too kind for her own good heroine". There's flirting, feinting, and moments when she's not sure who to trust.

However, there's a number of elements that draw me in.

Part of it is the artwork. It's very lovely, especially the way the characters are drawn. Hats off to Ayuko there.

Part of it is the plot. The Earl, in this case, is Lord Edgar Ashenbert, s
Mary
"Have you experienced such despair?"

Lydia Carlton is a Fairy Doctor. She communicates with fairies, but her connection to them has earned her the titles of "crazy", "changeling" and more lovely names.

When she is abducted by Mr. Huxley, she finds herself in the care of a thief named Mr. Edward, who claims to be the descendant of the Blue Knight. The Blue Knight aided King Edward 1 in battle and has earned his sword to prove their friendship. If Edward recovers the sword, he will be rich and power
Allie
Jun 28, 2017 Allie rated it really liked it
Nothing over the top, just easy to like.

A star was lost because the characters look so similar, it was hard to tell them apart. (Yeah, yeah, yeah)
Judy (Geeky Reading)
Mar 04, 2012 Judy (Geeky Reading) rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, manga
~3.5/5
I always get so excited when Shojo Beat releases new manga. I've read a majority of their titles, and usually try, and like, their new ones. There are probably only a handful that I haven't read, honestly. This one wasn't any different.
I only read the top description on the back of this before I got it (intentionally this time, though), and so again I kind of took it at face value. The art looks very sketch-y, and so I was worried that I wouldn't like it, but I did. It looked like it would
Ashly Lynn
Aug 22, 2016 Ashly Lynn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: If you like fairies and manga, then yes.
Recommended to Ashly by: Found at the Library.
Synopsis

Lydia can see and talk to the fairies that live around her, around all of us. She’s what is called a Fairy Doctor. She’s a young girl who has not quite found her place in the world and is on her way to visit her father in London. However, she’s stopped abruptly, when she is rescued from men who were planning to kidnap her. But, was she really rescued, or was she just kidnapped by someone else who wants to use her gifts for their own benefit?

The Earl and the Fairy, Volume 1 by Mizue Tan
Sarah Marie
4 stars! This one was a complete surprise and I really enjoyed it. Review to come.
Amy-beth
I'm not sure yet...
Karissa
Apr 03, 2017 Karissa rated it really liked it

I got this manga to read because it was recommended for fans of the Black Butler series. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit and plan on continuing the series. There are four volumes total in this series which makes it a nice short and complete manga series to read.

The story features a young woman. Lydia, who is a fairy doctor and has quite a bit of spunk. The main male lead, Edgar, is a man who claims to be an Earl and the ancestor of a fairy king. Edgar spends a lot of the book trying to convinc
Lucina
Apr 07, 2012 Lucina rated it it was amazing
German Review

Als ich vor ein paar Jahren die gesubbte Version des 12 Folgen langen Animes "Hakushaku to Yousei" gesehen habe war ich von Anfang an von der Geschichte fasziniert. Irgendwie hat mich die Mischung aus romantischer, historischer und fanastischer Abenteuergeschichte gleich in den Bann gezogen, die Ideen waren zwar nicht sonderlich außergewöhnlich, aber insgesamt hat "Hakushaku" einfach genau in mein Beuteschema gepasst. Soweit ich mich erinnere endete das Anime allerdings etwas offen
Rachael
Jan 26, 2017 Rachael rated it it was amazing
**Don't mind the ads on the bottom of my photos, I was reading on my tablet and I didn't edit them out** In saying this, I should mention that I just started reading a bit on my tablet so this was my first official digital book (Yay!) and that because it was a digital book, I got screenshot happy. Sorry, but not sorry.

So I was perusing through my to-read shelf for some manga ideas, and found this one randomly near about the 4th page of my to-reads (out of like 20 something I believe). I am real
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I had both a love and hate relationship with this series (which recently ended in Japan).

On the one hand, I loved how the author really researched and then wove in the fae history of the British Isles. With everything from the Green Knight to Faerie queens woven in, it was a fresh take on ages old stories. I also loved the artwork - each page was a real treat to enjoy the drawings.

But on the other hand, all the character
Douglas Cootey
May 04, 2013 Douglas Cootey rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, manga, fantasy
Imagine an alternate Victorian England where fairies are real, but only fairy doctors—a fading profession—can actually see them. Fairy doctors can only see and speak to fairies and act as ambassadors between faeries and man. Lydia Carlton, a young fairy doctor setting up shop in Scotland, had been caught in the crossfire of two parties seeking the Treasure Sword. One of the parties, the roguish Edgar J.C Ashenbert, wants the sword to prove he is the rightful heir to the Blue Knight Earl's title. ...more
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Lydia Carlton is a fairy doctor,one of the few people with the ability to see the magical creatures who share our world. During one of her rare trips to London to visit her father, Lydia’s quiet life is suddenly transformed when she is rescued from kidnappers by a mysterious young man!

My Thoughts:

I wasn't entirely certain about what to expect from this series. It's darker than I expected, but I felt engaged the whole time. I was quite invested in finding out the truth of what was going
Freya
Feb 12, 2014 Freya rated it really liked it
Eden
Jan 18, 2014 Eden rated it really liked it
Lydia is a fairy doctor. She has the ability to see fairies, but the problem is, not much if anyone believes in fairies anymore.

Lydia makes a trip to London to visit her father, but she is kidnapped and then rescued by some mysterious man.

That man is Edgar, who says he is descended from the human ruler of the fairy kingdom. And he needs Lydia's help to find the legendary sword so he may claim his birthright. Lydia agrees to help, but soon finds out just how dangerous this quest will be.

Nice art
Kelcey
This 4 book manga series is very cute and has an interesting premise. I like the idea of a fairy doctor (even if I am not sure where the doctor part comes in) and I liked Lydia a lot. The story was fun if a little incomplete and vague in some areas, but I don't feel like that took away from the overall enjoyment. Also NICO, the fairy in cat shape... the relations to Percy Jackson and a variety of fanfiction are too delicious!!! Also Ermine :( and Raven :/ and Earl main character... could never q ...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
May 22, 2014 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
I been wanting to read this series for a while after hearing about the anime. I have yet to watch that too. So finally read this and I liked it. I did start reading it but stopped, not in the mood for it.

But after finally getting around to reading this, I liked the main character. She didn't care what others think and does what she does because she wants to and isn't ashamed for being a fairy doctor.

I like that. Its very refreshing to see a MC in a manga like that. Or at least the ones I been
Heather Johnson
Jul 06, 2015 Heather Johnson rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE this series! It is so much fun! The whole premise is right down my alley and the fact that it takes place in Scotland/England pays tribute to my heritage! I love Nico too! And Edgar, my GOSH! *OhMySWOON!!* This story started out as a series of light novels and I have been able to read some because there have been wonderful people who have taken time to translate some of the novels into English and post the translations. I LOOOVE the story and I really wish they could continue t ...more
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*
I seldom have much to say about manga books, and this isn't an exception.

The earl and The Fairy is full of all the lovely artistic stylings I love with a likable, if waifish, leading lady. Throw in a rakish, devishly good-looking earl with a mysterious past, a serial killer, a lost fairy sword and there you have it. Slap happy amusement. I liked it, it was cute.... I won't be running out to pick-up volume two at full tilt but I will most likely end up reading it ;)
Miss Ryoko
Seems like an interesting concept. I'm happy it's a short series, so I'm curious to see how it all plays out.
Aubrey Hansen
Sep 17, 2013 Aubrey Hansen rated it liked it
A nice plot with some fairy lore to spice it up. The earl is a scoundrel and treats women accordingly at times--something serious yet, but we'll see where the series goes. Brief language and occasional violence.
Lauren
Apr 24, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorites
The art and setting drew me into the series right away and the plot line kept me interested. I loved the interplay between the characters and their interactions towards one another is almost priceless. this series is fun and interesting to read with a good story line.
Rachel Joy
Sep 29, 2015 Rachel Joy rated it it was amazing
This series is my first manga purchase ever and it was well worth it!
The artwork is lovely and the story was both sweet, romantic, and exciting, suspenseful. I liked everything about this manga and will definitely be looking out for more by this artist/author, Ayuko.
Eva Domínguez
Apr 22, 2016 Eva Domínguez rated it it was amazing
Reino Unido, Irlanda, hadas, personajes súper monos y un misterio por resolver. ¿Qué más se puede pedir?
Elsa
Mar 27, 2012 Elsa rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-gn
This one's pretty interesting. Is he a good guy or not.....
Intisar Khanani
Apr 25, 2015 Intisar Khanani rated it liked it
Enjoyable.
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
May 01, 2016 Katie (Kitkatscanread) rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this!
Shoujo Manga Book...: The Earl and the Fairy Discussion 16 41 Feb 01, 2017 06:41PM
Random Otaku Peop...: The Earl and the Fairy 7 4 Aug 15, 2013 10:48PM
  • Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 02 (Dawn of the Arcana, #2)
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 1 (Alice in the Country of Hearts, #1-2)
  • Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1)
  • A Devil and Her Love Song, Vol. 1 (A Devil and Her Love Song, #1)
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 3
  • Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Vol. 1
  • Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries Vol. 1
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 8 (Library Wars: Love & War, #8)
  • Demon Love Spell, Vol. 1
  • Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 7

The Earl and The Fairy (4 books)
  • The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 02