Start by marking “The Earl and The Fairy, Vol. 01 (The Earl and the Fairy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Earl and The Fairy, Vol. 01 (The Earl and the Fairy, #1)

The Earl and The Fairy, Vol. 01 (The Earl and The Fairy #1)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  3,428 ratings  ·  111 reviews
Reads R to L (Japanese Style), for audiences T. Lydia Carlton is a fairy doctor, one of the few people with the ability to see the magical creatures who share our world. During one of her rare trips to London to visit her father, Lydia’s quiet life is suddenly transformed when she is rescued from kidnappers by a mysterious young man! Edgar Ashenbert claims to be descended ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 2008)

Pandora Hearts, Vol. 07 by Jun MochizukiDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaChobits, Vol. 05 by CLAMPBlack Butler, Vol. 06 by Yana TobosoA Bride's Story 01 by Kaoru Mori
Best Manga Covers
6th out of 415 books — 92 voters
Black Butler, Vol. 01 by Yana TobosoFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaKimi ni Todoke by Karuho ShiinaSailor Moon, Vol. 01 by Naoko TakeuchiPandora Hearts, Vol. 01 by Jun Mochizuki
Best Manga Art
9th out of 121 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Sadly, not for me. I was drawn in by the very pretty art on the cover and the promise of a Victorian story with fairies. The art certainly didn't dissappoint me. The clothing was especially well done. And I did like Lydia, the fairy doctor, as well as the little bit we get to see of the fairies. But the plot as a whole wasn't drawing me in, and I have to say that I dislike Edgar. There just wasn't enough that was good to keep me going.
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Lydia Carlton is a fairy doctor,one of the few people with the ability to see the magical creatures who share our world. During one of her rare trips to London to visit her father, Lydia’s quiet life is suddenly transformed when she is rescued from kidnappers by a mysterious young man!

My Thoughts:

I wasn't entirely certain about what to expect from this series. It's darker than I expected, but I felt engaged the whole time. I was quite invested in finding out the truth of what was going
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I been wanting to read this series for a while after hearing about the anime. I have yet to watch that too. So finally read this and I liked it. I did start reading it but stopped, not in the mood for it.

But after finally getting around to reading this, I liked the main character. She didn't care what others think and does what she does because she wants to and isn't ashamed for being a fairy doctor.

I like that. Its very refreshing to see a MC in a manga like that. Or at least the ones I been
Lucina
German Review

Als ich vor ein paar Jahren die gesubbte Version des 12 Folgen langen Animes "Hakushaku to Yousei" gesehen habe war ich von Anfang an von der Geschichte fasziniert. Irgendwie hat mich die Mischung aus romantischer, historischer und fanastischer Abenteuergeschichte gleich in den Bann gezogen, die Ideen waren zwar nicht sonderlich außergewöhnlich, aber insgesamt hat "Hakushaku" einfach genau in mein Beuteschema gepasst. Soweit ich mich erinnere endete das Anime allerdings etwas offen
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3.5/5
I always get so excited when Shojo Beat releases new manga. I've read a majority of their titles, and usually try, and like, their new ones. There are probably only a handful that I haven't read, honestly. This one wasn't any different.
I only read the top description on the back of this before I got it (intentionally this time, though), and so again I kind of took it at face value. The art looks very sketch-y, and so I was worried that I wouldn't like it, but I did. It looked like it would
Rabia
When he says "smile for me." I'm just looking and going... y..yes sir, whatever you say.

He is almost completely like Usui from Kaichou wa Maid-Sama!!!! Thanks to that, I love him already!!!

Anyways, the manga, The Earl and the Fairy, is about a guy named Edgar, who is amazingly irresistibly hot and handsome and wants to succeed his ancestor's will. It is said that the man with the most noble blood from the family will receive the chance to obtain a position and will be able to see fairies and ot
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews at the Online Eccentric Librarian  http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I had both a love and hate relationship with this series (which recently ended in Japan).

On the one hand, I loved how the author really researched and then wove in the fae history of the British Isles. With everything from the Green Knight to Faerie queens woven in, it was a fresh take on ages old stories. I also loved the artwork - each page was a real treat to enjoy the drawings.

But on the other hand, all the characters
Amy Keeley
Apr 09, 2012 Amy Keeley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance readers, fans of bad boy characters, fantasy readers
Shelves: manga
The Earl and the Fairy has a lot of typical shoujo manga/romance elements. We have the "wealthy, bad boy up to no good hero", involved with the "far too kind for her own good heroine". There's flirting, feinting, and moments when she's not sure who to trust.

However, there's a number of elements that draw me in.

Part of it is the artwork. It's very lovely, especially the way the characters are drawn. Hats off to Ayuko there.

Part of it is the plot. The Earl, in this case, is Lord Edgar Ashenbert, s
Saleana (Triquetra Reviews)
Pretty good manga!

All about fairy doctors (ones who can communicate with the fairies and can help humans interact with them in a kind manner,) and thieves and going on an adventure.

Lydia is a fairy doctor like her mother was and she can communicate with the fairies, although no one believes her anymore. She lives near Edinburgh, Scotland and her father is a professor in London. She sets out to visit him and gets abducted by a man who wishes to find the Merrow Star. Merrow are types of mermaids
Lauren
The art and setting drew me into the series right away and the plot line kept me interested. I loved the interplay between the characters and their interactions towards one another is almost priceless. this series is fun and interesting to read with a good story line.
Freya
Eden
Lydia is a fairy doctor. She has the ability to see fairies, but the problem is, not much if anyone believes in fairies anymore.

Lydia makes a trip to London to visit her father, but she is kidnapped and then rescued by some mysterious man.

That man is Edgar, who says he is descended from the human ruler of the fairy kingdom. And he needs Lydia's help to find the legendary sword so he may claim his birthright. Lydia agrees to help, but soon finds out just how dangerous this quest will be.

Nice art
Rachel A.
Lydia Carlton is borne to a fairy doctor. She has the ability to do things others cannot. After her mother passed, people perceived her as crazy, and strange.

When her father sends message for her to come and visit in London, she is very happy. However, on her way she is kidnapped, by somebody who's identity is left to the imagination...

I really like this book, it was a little confusing towards the middle. However, I enjoyed the whole mysteriousness of the plot and I really liked the characters.
Elsa
This one's pretty interesting. Is he a good guy or not.....
Dani
Sep 08, 2014 Dani rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of Autocratic Men
I really enjoyed this manga. I loved the art (which is normally the first thing to attract my attention) but the story was also good. I liked Lydia right off, she's a little overly bright and good but then I expected the hero to be overly dark and broody which Edgar is. I liked that she wasn't well beloved for her personality but that her village were derogatory as to her supposed skills. This all feels delightfully English and I love how mangaka's can mimic a culture so unlike their own.

I was
Douglas Cootey
Imagine an alternate Victorian England where fairies are real, but only fairy doctors—a fading profession—can actually see them. Fairy doctors can only see and speak to fairies and act as ambassadors between faeries and man. Lydia Carlton, a young fairy doctor setting up shop in Scotland, had been caught in the crossfire of two parties seeking the Treasure Sword. One of the parties, the roguish Edgar J.C Ashenbert, wants the sword to prove he is the rightful heir to the Blue Knight Earl's title. ...more
Miranda
I liked this sort of setting and I liked Shojo Beat's stuff, so I said "What the hey?" and got it, hoping for a change of pace. A change of pace is what I got. I don't necessarily know if it was a good or a bad change of pace at the moment, considering I don't particularly like judging a manga by only the first volume.

I have high hopes for this one, however, since I do like the basic storyline. I admit, I was glaring at Edgar most of the volume with suspicion, and still kind of am. I do feel bet
Tammy Smith
This is a brand new shojo series published by Viz. Since it is the first volume, I will be interested to see how the story unfolds. There is a lot going on; fairies, magic, kidnapping, murder, a quest for an ancient sword. And at the heart of it all is Lydia Carlton, Fairy Doctor. I could not quite get a grasp on just exactly what a Fairy doctor would do or what the qualifications were for said profession, but near as I can tell, Lydia is kind of like an expert on all things fairy. She can see t ...more
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
I don't really read a lot of manga, but this one caught my eye for reasons which may be obvious to those who know me (i.e. 1800s England and fairy stories = yay!).

Not that I have anything against it, but there are a lot of really long series, and it's kind of an expensive habit, and, one of my biggest issues - everyone, especially the guys, often look too similar and I have a hard time telling them apart. Especially with the black and white art. So, yeah, there was a bit of that going on, espe
Kate
I initially reviewed the first volume of The Earl and the Fairy in June 2012, and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't completely sold on the story.

Having read all four volumes of the series, I can now say that I am now completely sold on this series. My only complaint is that it's so short. It is based off of a light novel series of the same name, and according to wikipedia, the light novel series has over 30 volumes and is ongoing. It's unfortunate that the manga didn't continue further, a complaint I
Rachel
This series takes place in historical England - I don't recall exactly when, maybe the Victorian era? - and follows a young woman who is a Fairy Doctor and is tasked with finding an artifact for a young man who claims that his ancestors are from the fairy world. So the Fairy Doctor is one of the few people who can actually see people and creatures from the fairy world, when everyday humans are not only unable to see them, but don't believe in them either. Adventures ensue.

Ok, so here's the deal.
Karly *The Vampire Ninja*
I seldom have much to say about manga books, and this isn't an exception.

The earl and The Fairy is full of all the lovely artistic stylings I love with a likable, if waifish, leading lady. Throw in a rakish, devishly good-looking earl with a mysterious past, a serial killer, a lost fairy sword and there you have it. Slap happy amusement. I liked it, it was cute.... I won't be running out to pick-up volume two at full tilt but I will most likely end up reading it ;)
Killedbydrapery
I really like the story that this first book is beginning to set up. It has all of the usual qualities of a YA Shojo Beat manga series: the naive but kind-hearted girl, the scoundrel-esque boy with a dark past, a guide that doesn't trust the boy and naturally thinks the girl is too trusting, and an adventure that throws them together to inevitably make the two fall for each other despite the odds.
Well, despite the cookie-cutter characters of any Shojo Beat manga, I find myself craving the next
April
I can't decide whether I like this book or not. I like the lead woman and her cat and the concept of being a fairy doctor...I just found the plot hard to follow so far because there were so many aliases used and I thought both men pursuing her were drawn too similarly, but I would like to read more as I think this is a prelude to a perhaps better manga to come.
Brynn the Book Lover
The Earl and the Fairy Volume 1 by Ayuko
Wanted: The Earl and the Fairy Volume 1 by Ayuko.
Wanted for:
1. Having a Mary-Sue protagonist
2. Being so confusing that reading it a second time will only make things worse
Lydia is a naïve, wear-her-heart-on-her-sleeve kind of girl. So not a very good protagonist. She makes stupid decisions and any time she has a good idea, she goes against it.
At the end, when Lydia was arguing with Edgar right before drugging him, she says “despite your sad story, you’r
Alexa
Better than I expected. I've had this one for a while, it took me a while to get to it.
The characters are a lot more interesting and complex than I'd thought they'd be. The "earl" is at least. The "fairy" hasn't been revealed enough to really tell yet, but I feel like it'll go in a good direction. Anyway, I have vol. 2 as well, I'll definitely read that.
Princess
Beautiful

If you're looking for adventure, romance, and a historical fiction rolled into a manga then this is it! This manga (and anime) is in my top ten and is a beautiful story full of excitement. It is well written with enough twists and turn accompanying the flirtatious dialogue, that will quickly capture your heart.
Sarah WaterRaven
This is a delightful and charming manga. I was impressed with the research that went into this series, evident within the story line. Being a huge fan of European fairy tales, I was delighted to see familiar fairies with new spins on them. The artwork is cute and well drawn. I only wish the original Japanese novels were translated so that I could enjoy the full story in detail.

The main character is a strong, capable woman, caught up in deception and possibly love. It was refreshing to read a st
Cassie
I'm not over the moon about the earl - he's one of those menacing romantic figures toeing the line between sweetness and cruelty, going back and forth enough to give me whiplash - but I do like Lydia and this this historical fantasy has potential. There's a lot of action and double-crossing and the beginning starts off with a bang. However, I find myself disliking the mysterious Edgar more and more, so I'm left with mixed feelings at the end. Also, too many of the characters look alike - I had a ...more
Rachel

I watched the first episode of the anime years ago and enjoyed it, however, I think the manga is ten times better. It is a unique story about an Earl that wants a certain sword that is hidden in faerie land, and he needs Lydia a faerie doctor to find it.

Our red-haired main character Lydia is an awesome character, with a talking fairy/cat that goes with her on her adventure. The Earl is okay, but I hope it gets better as the manga continues. Plus the art is amazing.

I recommend checking out this c
Shoujo Manga Book...: The Earl and the Fairy Discussion 10 19 Feb 21, 2014 10:03AM
Random Otaku Peop...: The Earl and the Fairy 7 4 Aug 15, 2013 10:48PM
  • Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 02 (Dawn of the Arcana, #2)
  • Demon Love Spell, Vol. 1
  • Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1)
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 1 (Alice in the Country of Hearts, #1-2)
  • A Devil and Her Love Song, Vol. 1 (A Devil and Her Love Song, #1)
  • Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Vol. 01 (Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, #1)
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 02
  • Black Bird, Vol. 12
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 18 (Ouran High School Host Club, #18)
  • Bride of the Water God, Vol. 1
  • Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1
Name in Japanese: 谷 瑞恵
More about Mizue Tani...
The Earl and The Fairy, Vol. 02 (The Earl and the Fairy, #2) The Earl and The Fairy, Vol. 03 (The Earl and the Fairy, #3) The Earl and The Fairy, Vol. 04 (The Earl and the Fairy, #4) 伯爵と妖精 あいつは優雅な大悪党 [Hakushaku to Yousei: Aisatsu wa Yuuga na Daiakutou] 伯爵と妖精 あまい罠には気をつけて [Hakushaku to Yousei: Amai Wana ni wa Ki wo Tsukete]