Start by marking “Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)

Warbreaker (Warbreaker #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  39,913 ratings  ·  2,799 reviews
Sisters Vivenna and Siri are princesses of Idris. Susebron is the God King one must marry. Lightsong is the reluctant minor god of bravery. Vasher is an immortal still trying to undo mistakes of centuries before. Magic from individual breath from everyday objects can perform all manner of miracles and mischief.

All revisions of this book starting from the rough draft, excep
ebook, Draft version, 688 pages
Published 2009 by Self-published

To ask other readers questions about Warbreaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warbreaker

The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
8th out of 1,526 books — 5,396 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
The Best Epic Fantasy
58th out of 2,345 books — 16,625 voters

More lists with this book...

Markus

“You should watch yourself, child,” he whispered. “Not all here in the palace is as it seems.”

Siri and Vivenna are princesses of the mountain kingdom of Idris, a minor power whose very existence is threatened by invasion from the Kingdom of the Iridescent Tones. And so, to avoid war, one of them must leave her home to marry the God King of Hallandren, a man reputed to be a monster.

Read a book by Brandon Sanderson, and certain things are guaranteed to appear. An innovative magic system f
Robin (Bridge Four)
What is better than Pi day (3.14)? A Warbreaker reread/buddy read starting on Pi Day with my felllow Sandersonitis friends at Fantasy Buddy Reads

This is a private group. Let me know if you need an invite.

What made this book Awesome all over again? Two Characters Vasher and Nightblood!!!
Would you like to destroy some evil today?

description

Original Review Jun 2014:

4.25 Stars

Buddy read with Athena and Alexa.

I have Sandersonitis – Symptoms include
- Bleary eyes from reading too long or staying up too lat
Jonathan

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

I really have spoiled myself far too much after feeling exultant due to exams being over and holidays having begun. Firstly it was the sweets (drinking m&ms, eating cheescake, icecream, trifle and toasted sandwiches filled with caramelised apple - cook apples and then mix cream and brown sugar) but not all at once of course, only across 24 hours. And then secondly I read this absolute gem of a novel. But then I have found all of Brandon Sanderson's serious fantasy books to be
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2.5

Let me start by saying that I was pleasantly surprised. For some reason I was expecting another epic type fantasy, with lots of travel and descriptions of foliage, and I was very glad to find myself mistaken in that regard. I enjoyed the more personal aspect of the story, and the intrigue and mystery which went along with it. It was definitely a page-turned, especially towards the end when I wanted to see how everything would work out.

So why only 2 1/2 stars?

A few reasons. The first is that i
Danae
Buddy read with Fantasy Buddy Reads.

So most people already know what a genius Brandon Sanderson is. He creates magic systems and worlds so breathtakingly original that you can't help but admire him. I admire him alright, but I also wish I could borrow some of his creativity to write my reviews for his books. They deserve all the creativity they can get, as oppose to the speechless-ness that he tends to evoke in me. However, since that isn't possible I'm just going to say this: If you like Fantas
Evgeny
Let me start my review with a brief detour to the list of the most awesome fantasy swords.
Swords
Excalibur from Arthurian legends.
Stormbringer from Elric saga by Michael Moorcock.
Dragnipur from Malazan series by Steven Erikson.
Callandor from Wheel of Time epic by Robert Jordan.
Lightsaber from Star Wars movies.
Masamune from Japanese folklore.
Gurthang from Silmarillion classic by J.R.R. Tolkien.

For people unfamiliar with the book let me introduce you to Nightblood: it is a sword which can hold pretty w
Felicia
Enjoyed this a lot. One thing I admire about this author is his dedication to world-building. This is the third world I've read by him where he's invented a new type of magic system that is fresh and interesting. It takes a lot of road-paving to get something this unique through to the audience, and the beginning is a bit slow because of it, but I really enjoyed the characters and the magic system.

Like most of the other reviews I agree the ending felt a bit rushed, and the sequel was set up in
Jon
Athena (Shardbearer)
Reread/buddy read starting on Pi Day, March 14.
Fantasy Buddy Reads Group, Warbreaker Thread

Epic Buddy Read with Robin & Alexa Wednesday 6/18

NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD!NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTBLOOD! NIGHTB
Penny
Brandon Sanderson is one of my favourite authors and as such my expectations are always rather high and once again he managed to exceed them.

It's impossible to discuss a Sanderson novel without first talking about his world building and magic system. The intricacies of the deep rooted biases and politics between countries was well laid out and made up an important part of the main plots. It also led to one of the more interesting discussions about what we take for granted as given based on wher
C.W.
Honestly, this was a pleasant surprise. I've heard so many times that this book wasn't as good as Brandon's other work. Here's my two word response: Fuck. That. This book was freaking awesome. Fantastic character development all throughout, an interesting world with a crazy cool history, a fascinating magic system, and a non-stop never-dull plot pulling all of that together to make something that's seriously unique. It also plays a huge role in our future understanding of the Cosmere. I suggest ...more
Gavin
Warbreaker is another great Brandon Sanderson epic fantasy novel. Like his other books this had great world building, a fantastic and unique system of magic, and a ton of memorable characters.

Warbreaker is the story of two sisters and their attempts to stop two nations from going to war. All set in a world where those who die in glory are returned as Gods, and souls are the fuel that keeps both the returned Gods alive, and powers the biochromatical magic system.

Warbreaker is a superb book and
Inge
Guys, I'm only going to say this once.

You need to get Warbreaker and love it. It is unlike anything you've ever read.

P.S. Lightsong is made of awesome.
MJ
Sep 11, 2010 MJ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like descriptions of sexy ladies
Steven
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
Published 2009, Tor Books
Stars:
Review also posted at: Slapdash & Sundry

"Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them."

~William Shakespeare

While reading this book, this quote from Shakespeare echoed through my mind. Some of the characters are born with greatness (like the God King, Susebron), others achieve it (like the Returned god, Lightsong or the dynamic Vivenna), and, to tie it all toge
Franco  Santos
Bueno, sí, realmente es increíble. Sanderson es un genio. Lo digo, lo reafirmo y lo reconfirmo con cada libro que leo de él.

Excelente libro. Imposible soltarlo una vez empezado. Personajes muy bien desarrollados. Una trama de mucho misterio y fantasía de la buena. Dioses, incógnitas, secretos, conspiraciones y por qué no un poco de amor. Me encantó.
-¿Sabes qué me interesa?
-¿Qué?
-La gente. Me interesa la gente. Sobre todo la gente que no actúa como se supone que debe actuar. La gente que me sor
Jaime
RTC. When I finish work. And, after a good 12 hours of sleep.
Majo
“—¿Te inclinas entonces ante los caprichos del universo?
—¿Qué más podría hacer?
—Combatirlo. Combatirlo con todo, obligar al universo a inclinarse ante tí”

Creo que ya estoy siendo repetitiva, pero Sanderson es un genio. Cada libro que leo de él se sitúa en mis favoritos de manera casi instantánea. Y este no es la excepción. De hecho, viene a reafirma una regla que se convertirá en ley.

Es un libro increíble de aventuras y conspiraciones políticas, mezclado con una magia única y un universo fant
Kaora
Good. I finished it. Now maybe I can get some sleep and not spend all night reading. :)
Rob
Executive Summary: While not among my favorite books by Brandon Sanderson, I still really enjoyed it, which may say more about my love for Brandon Sanderson’s books than it does about the book itself.

Full Review
Cool Magic system? check.
Interesting world building? check.
Easy to read? check.

So at first blush this is a typical Brandon Sanderson novel. However this one isn’t nearly as polished as his Stormlight Archive books, nor as fun as his Mistborn books. That said, I still really enjoyed it.
Rabindranauth
Warbreaker is fantasy as only Brandon Sanderson can write it.

An uneasy truce exists between the kingdoms of Idris and Halladren, held together by the signing of a treaty decades ago. As a term of the treaty, a princess of Idris must marry the God King of Halladren, to sire his heir. It has been decided that Siri will marry Susebron to maintain the treaty. In this world, when men die brave deaths, they can be reborn, where they are worshipped as gods in Halladren. Lightsong is one such god. Unfor
Chris
I really struggled with this rating. It probably deserves 5 stars. This is a situation where Sanderson is his own enemy - the Mistborn books were better than this one, so get the higher rating. Warbreaker is very good, but not quite as good as those. This is certainly a case of Sanderson setting the bar way up high with Mistborn, so that work after that has a hard time reaching the standards he set.

But that aside, this one definitely rates 4.5 stars. Maybe 4.75.

I love the system of magic. It's
Armina

My first finished read for 2014 shines with five colorful BioChromatic* stars. I'm beyond happy that my reading year has started so great!

Sanderson can tell a tale. And because it is Sanderson we have another excellent magic system using a combination of *breath and colour to bring entities to life and make them perform all manner of miracles and mischief. It's not so spectacular, complex and detailed as Allomancy in Mistborn but still very interesting, beautiful and far more close to my liking.
David Sven
Excellent magic system using a combination of breath and colour (Biochroma) to bring objects to life. Not as complex and detailed as Allomancy in Mistborn but still interesting and well explained and was definitely the star of the show for me. I would have liked to have learned a lot more about the magic.

The plot and characters were pretty simple. For the first quarter of the book I thought this was just going to be another version of Elantris - with two city main states near war, a political m
Mike (the Paladin)
This is the second (and better) book I've read by Mr. Sanderson (the first being his first installment in the eternally continuing saga of the Wheel of Time). My rating on it went back and forth throughout the volume, but I finally settled on a 4. It is an enjoyable book and despite being (what I find) overly wordy with quite a bit of unnecessary dialogue it picks up and finally gets down to business.

The magic system in this book is probably one reason for a lot of the dialogue it's generated as
Ashley
I always forget how much reading a Brandon Sanderson fantasy book ruins me for other books. All I want to do is read more Brandon Sanderson. Still, this one wasn't my favorite of his. The ending was a little rushed, and there was some stuff I would have liked more resolution on. Because of that, holding off on a full five stars. I know what five star Sanderson books are like, so there'a standard to meet now. Still, this is a really fun book and I really, really liked it.

[4.5 stars]
Caitlin
So...I may have caught Sandersonitis. This was an impressively original fantasy and I'm definitely hooked.

Group read with Fantasy Buddy Reads

Warbreaker is the story of two princesses, Siri and Vivenna. As members of the royal family of Hallandren which has been forced into exile, each sister plays an important role in the struggle between their small rebel kingdom of Idris and the threatening power of Hallandren, which has found new rulers. A peace treaty written years before demanded that one
Eon (Windrunner)
Mar 17, 2015 Eon (Windrunner) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Buddy read re-read with my fellow Sandersonites at Fantasy Buddy Reads
“My life to yours. My Breath become yours.”
Warbreaker is the story of two very different sisters, who happen to be princesses, the God King one of them has to marry, the lesser god who doesn't like his job, and the immortal who's still trying to undo the mistakes he made hundreds of years ago. And a sentient, evil-destroying sword.

Dear Brandon Sanderson.
You had me at "sentient, evil-destroying sword."
That man down there,
Alison ☆彡
“You're a very difficult person to manipulate, you know."
"Nonsense," he said. "You just have to promise me that I won't have to do a thing, and then I'll do anything you want."
"Anything?"
"Anything that doesn't require doing anything."
"That's nothing, then."
"Is it?"
"Yes."
"Well, that's something.”

This, my friends, is a mind blowing book.

description

This book was my first high fantasy book ever. I decided to set the bar high by picking a book by Brandon Sanderson, as I heard everyone rave and rave about him.
Read Runners: January 2015 Reads - Warbreaker 99 58 Jan 30, 2015 05:04PM
Where's the second (and third and...) one? 3 68 Jan 06, 2015 08:45AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson 3 12 Jan 02, 2015 11:21AM
Sanderson Cosmere: (DISCUSSION) Warbreaker 27 24 Nov 20, 2014 02:36PM
Spoilers / Have some questions about Warbreaker 4 76 Jul 25, 2014 11:24AM
Denth's hair 3 72 Jun 10, 2014 12:07PM
The Not a Book Cl...: WB: Section 6 - Chapter 50 - Chapter Epilogue 6 20 May 03, 2014 10:48AM
  • Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
  • Feast of Souls (The Magister Trilogy, #1)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • The Autumn Republic (The Powder Mage, #3)
  • Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
  • An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet, #3)
January 2015 marks the release of Firefight , the sequel to Steelheart . When only evil people gain super powers and become tyrants, it's up to normal people to hunt them down. There is a free 5-chapter preview ebook of Steelheart that you should check out, with a corresponding sampler audiobook on Audible. The Firefight book tour in the US lasts throughout January.

Recent short releases are Leg
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Warbreaker (2 books)
  • Nightblood (Warbreaker, #2)
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1)

“Mocking a woman is like drinking too much wine. It may be fun for a short time, but the hangover is hell.” 492 likes
“Unknowing ignorance is preferable to informed stupidity.” 235 likes