The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon

The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Life is cursed for the people of the village of Twee. The ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon haunts their every waking hour and they've had enough! But then one day, the brave and practical young Herbert Kettle has the most extraordinary idea . . .
Published October 3rd 2011 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon

Sarah Mayor Cox
Gorgeous picture book for brave younger readers, or middle primary. Haunting naïve quality to Blabey's illustrations, paint layered on so that the texture comes through (eg. Cloud on the opening page). Blabey uses a muted palette of coloiurs, greens and greys, until the end when the problem is solved to great effect. The meter is very reassuring, it seems like it’s a scary story but really it’s not. Great dedication “For the place my shoes are buried”. Classic opening situation, problem and reso...more
Shallowreader VaVeros
This was a gorgeous book to read. A ghost named Annabel Spoon haunts a town who wants to rid themselves of her. One voice dissents and believes that he can make her stop. With trepidation he find the sad, forlourn ghost and realise that she's just lonely so he befriends her. This is a book written in verse, full of humour and rather touchingly told. I highly recommend it. I ADORE the illustrations which capture emotions and nuanced expressions. Love it.
Cedar
I love this book. I love the prose, I love the drawings, I love the thought put behind the story. Clever book that entertains my son immensely when I read it to him. As he is only four months its easy for him to track due to the dark colors, while the rhymes make the sounds fun, and the storyline makes the books entertaining for adults. Perfect.
Lyn Battersby
Lyn is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Lyn herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I will be reviewing and rating this once the AAs are announced.

Sharkcrow
Written in verse with gorgeous illustrations, I've fallen in love with this picture book!
Phoebe
It wasn't as good as it looked.
Annabel
Annabel marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Minu Pareek
Minu Pareek marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Emma
Emma added it
May 12, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Lilpiece
Lilpiece marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Melissa Squire
Melissa Squire marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Anish Thimanna
Anish Thimanna marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
Kellie
Kellie added it
Apr 16, 2013
Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley Sunday Chutney Stanley Paste The Dreadful Fluff Noah Dreary