Start by marking “The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon” as Want to Read:
The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon

The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Life is cursed for the people of the village of Twee. The ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon haunts their every waking hour and they've had enough! But then one day, the brave and practical young Herbert Kettle has the most extraordinary idea . . .
Published October 3rd 2011 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon

Librariasaurus
Mar 30, 2016 Librariasaurus rated it really liked it
This is a great little Gothically illustrated book for children.
It also concludes my reading of Aaron Blabey picture books. I love his work and was glad fo finish on a book I loved.

Like all of Bkavey's best books for children, this one has a message. It helps children understand that its not the right thing to do to shun someone or be scared of them no matter how different they are.

The story does this by showing children how sad the ghost of Annabelle Spoon is when nobody will talk to her and
Victoria Hall
Mar 07, 2016 Victoria Hall rated it really liked it
Gorgeous story about listening, understanding and acceptance.
Sarah Mayor Cox
Gorgeous picture book for brave younger readers, or middle primary. Haunting naïve quality to Blabey's illustrations, paint layered on so that the texture comes through (eg. Cloud on the opening page). Blabey uses a muted palette of coloiurs, greens and greys, until the end when the problem is solved to great effect. The meter is very reassuring, it seems like it’s a scary story but really it’s not. Great dedication “For the place my shoes are buried”. Classic opening situation, problem and reso ...more
Shallowreader VaVeros
This was a gorgeous book to read. A ghost named Annabel Spoon haunts a town who wants to rid themselves of her. One voice dissents and believes that he can make her stop. With trepidation he find the sad, forlourn ghost and realise that she's just lonely so he befriends her. This is a book written in verse, full of humour and rather touchingly told. I highly recommend it. I ADORE the illustrations which capture emotions and nuanced expressions. Love it.
Cedar
Feb 01, 2012 Cedar rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I love the prose, I love the drawings, I love the thought put behind the story. Clever book that entertains my son immensely when I read it to him. As he is only four months its easy for him to track due to the dark colors, while the rhymes make the sounds fun, and the storyline makes the books entertaining for adults. Perfect.
Lyn Battersby
Jan 11, 2012 Lyn Battersby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awards
Lyn is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Lyn herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I will be reviewing and rating this once the AAs are announced.

Sharkcrow
Nov 29, 2011 Sharkcrow rated it it was amazing
Written in verse with gorgeous illustrations, I've fallen in love with this picture book!
Phoebe
May 17, 2012 Phoebe rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
It wasn't as good as it looked.
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Dyatmika Library
Dyatmika Library marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Emily
Emily added it
Apr 21, 2016
Holly Bidwell
Holly Bidwell rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Belinda
Belinda rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Rachel Cross
Rachel Cross marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Lala Smith
Lala Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Carmel
Carmel rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Stephen Morris
Stephen Morris marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Penny Freeman
Penny Freeman marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Belinda
Belinda rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Jarvis
Jarvis rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Thomas
Thomas added it
Aug 24, 2015
Majur
Majur rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2015
Logan Clement
Logan Clement marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Victoria Vo
Victoria Vo marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Olga Kilicci
Olga Kilicci rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Shannan Salvestro
Shannan Salvestro rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Aaron is an Australian author of children's books and artist who until the mid-2000s was also an actor. His award winning picture books include Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley, The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon and the best-selling Pig the Pug.

In the field of acting, he is probably best known for his lead roles in two television dramedies, 1994's The Damnation of Harvey McHugh, for which he won an
More about Aaron Blabey...