Start by marking “Romancing Your Child's Heart” as Want to Read:
Romancing Your Child's Heart

Romancing Your Child's Heart

Parents can have awesome relationships with their children, but it is not enough to fill them with Bible facts, verses, and demand of them certain desired behaviors - you must first capture their hearts. When a child is young, parents can impose their will. When the child is older, however, if the parent hasn't won his heart, all the force in the world will only serve to d ...more
Published September 9th 2003 by Multnomah Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Romancing Your Child's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romancing Your Child's Heart

We love
Apr 12, 2016 We love rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, me
I think this is one of my new favorite books. Yeah. SO, so good. A few things that I was like "meh" but overall, this is a beautiful book on loving our children as PEOPLE. As we value and love on them, the draw of other destructive "loves" in their lives fades. This ties into the Charlotte Mason philosophy SO well. This book really shows me how selfless as a mother I need to choose to be...Swan shares his parents approach to parenting him and his siblings...the lessons he learned and has prayerf ...more
CC
Mar 12, 2009 CC rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
My children are my passion and I'm usually reading some book on parenting. I'm enjoying this book more than I expected too. Monte Swan has some interesting thoughts and I value his heart for the importance of connecting with our children's hearts. In my view, he may lean a little to the right (or left) on setting up boundaries for his children. He relates two separate incidents in which his children wander off, thankfully not to their death, but I was left wondering why he didn't teach and enfor ...more
Sara
Aug 26, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It changes how I operate as a parent...thinking more about what my child's thinking in the moment about God than about what he/she is doing that I may not prefer. This book has changed the way I think about nature and the way we interact with it. Mostly, this book has encouraged me as a parent to keep my focus on the goal of helping my kids see their part in His Larger Story.
Kristjan
Apr 25, 2013 Kristjan rated it really liked it
Some good ideas in this book and I agree with the main premise, but the application can be tricky. It may be easier when you've got lots of land or lots of mountains or lots of musical abilities. Since I don't have any of these, I guess I'll have to settle for trying some potentially useful ideas.
Greta
Apr 30, 2009 Greta rated it it was amazing
Loved it--excellent book! This book contained my favorite paragraphs on parenting of any parenting book I've read. From the book: "It is our personal relationship with God--knowing Him, not just knowing about Him--that makes us legitimate and believable to our children."
Jonathan
May 04, 2008 Jonathan rated it really liked it
More than a resource, a reminder that our children will develop, in large part, due to the love (or lack thereof) that we as parents provide for and to them. There is most likely nothing new for you here. As reminders go it is well written, concise and practical.
Corah
Jul 14, 2009 Corah rated it it was amazing
Excellent parenting book... it's not just advice or to-do's, although that's there... he tells a story that makes you want to "romance" your children just like him. Makes you want to travel and live off the land.
Jeanne
Aug 25, 2008 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
One of my top ten books for How to parent a child. It is wide in it's scope--going into why communists take stories out of art, to spending one on one time with your child. I loved this book.
Highly recommended!
Shiloh
Oct 01, 2007 Shiloh rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. We had heard him at a conference, and it was a good reminder of things I learned, especially for a sometimes task oriented mother.
Willow
Dec 06, 2008 Willow rated it it was amazing
This is one of my most favorite parenting books. It is so inspiring and creative. Full of great ways to become your child's best friend!
Virginia Knowles
A must read for home educators and any parents on reaching your child's heart with beauty, wonder, and God's grace.
Diana
Sep 26, 2009 Diana rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that gave me a better picture for training up a child in the way they should go!!!
Amy
Lovely book. Will probably reread or reference as I found myself highlighting several passages.
Lee Anne Cavin
Oct 10, 2008 Lee Anne Cavin rated it it was amazing
Opened my task oriented eyes on a new way to communicate with my children and God.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Renee Hartley
Renee Hartley marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Athresher
Athresher rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Natasha Enns
Natasha Enns is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2016
Cristina Solorzano
Cristina Solorzano is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2016
Elena Marie
Elena Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Angus
Angus marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Catie
Catie added it
Jul 15, 2016
Cheri
Cheri marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Karalee
Karalee marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Carol
Carol added it
Mar 11, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2016
Aliyah Doerr
Aliyah Doerr rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016