Twisting My Melon

Twisting My Melon

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Shaun Ryder has lived a life of glorious highs and desolate lows. As lead singer of the Happy Mondays, he turned Manchester into Madchester, combining all the excesses of a true rock'n'roll star with music and lyrics that led impresario Tony Wilson to describe him as 'the greatest poet since Yeats'. The young scally who left school at fifteen without ever learning his alph...more
Published September 15th 2011 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Twisting My Melon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twisting My Melon

Louise
I dont read a huge amount of biographies,but when I do, I do it because I want to know a bit more about that person..
I dont feel I know anymore about Shaun Ryder than I did before (well, kids and marriage maybe) reading this.
I know quite a bit about what drugs he took,and what drugs he sold, and how badly the film 24 hour party people got most of his story... but there was too much foggy times due to drugs, which in fairness is just him being honest.
For anyone who came on board the Ryder wagon w...more
Mary
Now, I knew before I borrowed this book from the library the risk I was taking. They say you should never meet your idols. Though no-one in the right mind would cast Ryder as an idol.) I would add to that, be very wary of the memoirs of those characters you find interesting. Hearing someone tell their story always alters your perception of them. Sometimes, as with Mandelson, you are pleasantly surprised. Others and I think a little more often they disappoint. That's probably because they're huma...more
Jim
There are people in life who makes things happen. There are people who have things happen to them. And there are people sitting around wondering "What happened"? Welcome Shaun Ryder, who represents all three in one sitting. Unfortunately, judging by this book, Shaun is stuck more in the "What happened?" camp due to the drugs and booze he's consumed over the years. He either can't remember stuff or chooses not to. A lot of the book feels as if it's been pieced together from other people's recolle...more
Steven Palmer
As expected, an anarchic jaunt through the rise and fall and partial rise again of those cheeky Mancunian caners. The book pulls no punches and it is no surprise to hear of Shaun's early criminal exploits and growing fondness for illegal substances. While hardly a beacon of outstanding literature, there are plenty of laughs as we follow Shaun and the boys on their adventures and misadventures in the music business. A few eye opening moments as he reveals some of the truth behind the fractures.
A...more
Sarah Goode
Not a bad read. A gentle plod through his life story.
Nathan
For me this book lies very close to my heart. As a teenager I grew up with the Mondays and teh Stone Roses etc It is a funny insight into the man and the band, How they formed together as kids and couldn't read or write let alone play music.
They way he talks about his drug habits though are quite disturbing, he talks about smack and crack cocaine like it was lemsip. There are lots of funny stories and old pictures in the book and I would really recommend it.
Jill Reid
This book has had mixed reviews but I have to say I enjoyed it. It took me back to my own Madchester experiences although certainly not as 'colourful' as Shaun Ryder's.

Yes he had a touch of the 'slopey shoulders' about him in that nothing was his fault and he never had grudges and he could do no wrong but I think he must have been a nightmare to work with. That said, the way he portrayed those years was amusing and enjoyable.

Worth the read.
Sam
An interesting read but I found it quite hard going.
For me, it was too much of a 'I did this', 'I did that' sort of book, at least he thought he'd done this and that but had been too off his head to really remember.
I also think the book is a bit disjointed (pun intended). It is as if Shaun had written all his various memories on bits of paper and that someone had been given the job of having to 'jigsaw' them together to make a book.
Gary Marshall
Ryder's biography is often very funny for the wrong reasons - the ghostwriter dropping out of character and using flowery phrases Ryder would never use; ryder's frequent "I'm not the kind to bear a grudge" proclamations before going into great detail about the grudge, and why none of it's his fault, etc - but it's quite good fun if you take it with a hefty pinch of salt.
Mike Worth
Quite a good book, possibly best read after the John Warburton biography, Hallelujah. Probably a fair reflection of Shaun's mind and memories, but he definitely wants to answer a few questions and pretty posts a lot of blame anywhere but him. A rose tinted view of himself brought on by the drugs and lack of sobriety or the truth...tough one to call!
Tadhg Maccarthy
One for the fans...

Shaun Ryder proclaimed as "the greatest poet since Yeats" by Tony Wilson of Factory Records. Not quite - but a poet for his generation.

Interesting insight into the debauched life of a rock'n'roll star. Good to see he's had a redemption.

Favourite quote "I truly believe you are what you eat - I was a pie for a long time"
Mary
A quick interesting read. A totally alien way of life though. He's a bit full of himself considering there's not alot to be proud of apart from the music. Being a thief, drug dealer and user isn't something to be proud of. The best bits were about the early Manchester music scene, Hacienda etc.
Sally
This is not generally my type of book (autobiog of an ugly, foulmouthed,drug-addled old pop star) but i have read so many good reviews of it, and it was cheap on Amazon, so I thought I would give it a go.

In the event - it was not worth it. I read it to half way then gave up.
Louise
I really like Shaun, however this book does give across the impression he thinks it's everyone's fault- but his. Still, good insight into his life, I just felt he could have been a little more honest with himself. Won't stop me liking him though.
Bart
Written conversationally and, as you'd expect, with a fair amount of repetition.
No ground breaking revelations - Shaun can't remember most of what has happened to him, obviously.
One plus side - it got me listening to Squirrel & G-Man again...
Steve
Hilarious Madchester romp but as it gets onto Black Grape and I'm A Celebrity loses its lustre innit...
Jake
Couldn't put it down!
Neil
Very frank and honest
Leigh Roberts
Usual rating, usual reason
Joolz
Joolz is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Shaun Ryder on UFOs. Shaun Ryder What Planet Am I On? Hallelujah!: The Extraordinary Story of Shaun Ryder and Happy Mondays

“So, that was the original Happy Mondays line-up before Bez joined. Shaun Ryder, Paul Ryder, Mark Day, Paul Davis and Gaz Whelan. X, Horse, Cowhead, Knobhead and No Arse.” 1 likes