Start by marking “Twisting My Melon” as Want to Read:
Twisting My Melon

Twisting My Melon

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  297 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Shaun Ryder has lived a life of glorious highs and desolate lows. As lead singer of the Happy Mondays, he turned Manchester into Madchester, combining all the excesses of a true rock'n'roll star with music and lyrics that led impresario Tony Wilson to describe him as 'the greatest poet since Yeats'. The young scally who left school at fifteen without ever learning his alph ...more
Published September 15th 2011 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Twisting My Melon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twisting My Melon

Louise
Oct 01, 2012 Louise rated it it was ok
I dont read a huge amount of biographies,but when I do, I do it because I want to know a bit more about that person..
I dont feel I know anymore about Shaun Ryder than I did before (well, kids and marriage maybe) reading this.
I know quite a bit about what drugs he took,and what drugs he sold, and how badly the film 24 hour party people got most of his story... but there was too much foggy times due to drugs, which in fairness is just him being honest.
For anyone who came on board the Ryder wagon w
Samuel Tyler
The best autobiographies are warts and all, but dirty needles, stealing and mashed lyrics are perhaps a little too much. ‘Twisting My Melon’ is the autobiography of Happy Mondays and Black Grape front man Shaun Ryder and is told in his eclectic style. It is good to hear an authentic voice when reading a biog, but does this work when that voice is crazy as Ryder – yes it does. It is the honesty and slightly misshapen nature of this book that makes it a good read. Ryder will not win any prizes for ...more
Mary
Nov 16, 2011 Mary rated it liked it
Now, I knew before I borrowed this book from the library the risk I was taking. They say you should never meet your idols. Though no-one in the right mind would cast Ryder as an idol.) I would add to that, be very wary of the memoirs of those characters you find interesting. Hearing someone tell their story always alters your perception of them. Sometimes, as with Mandelson, you are pleasantly surprised. Others and I think a little more often they disappoint. That's probably because they're huma ...more
Jim
May 07, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
There are people in life who makes things happen. There are people who have things happen to them. And there are people sitting around wondering "What happened"? Welcome Shaun Ryder, who represents all three in one sitting. Unfortunately, judging by this book, Shaun is stuck more in the "What happened?" camp due to the drugs and booze he's consumed over the years. He either can't remember stuff or chooses not to. A lot of the book feels as if it's been pieced together from other people's recolle ...more
Philip Smith
Aug 21, 2014 Philip Smith rated it liked it
Shaun doesn't really have a great writing style (as could be expected). In many ways it's like reading a story narrated by my dad ("I got a house on Market Street in Salford, just off Bradford Road, behind the Pig and Bucket pub" kind of stuff.) He also takes for granted that the reader is familiar with some of the more well-known anecdotes, adding his own clarifications to the legends. so if you've not already heard them, you're left guessing. But otherwise it's a decent book for anyone interes ...more
Stephen
Mar 20, 2015 Stephen rated it liked it
A so so book that couldn't really catch my attention for long periods, three stars is probably kind as it's not a good read overall and 5/10 is a more suitable rating. The first 150 pages are more about the scummy things that he and his friends got up to than the actual music or the band. Taking drugs (which ok was always going to be there) and robbing people and credit cards etc. Unless you grew up with the madchester seen it will probably disappoint and bore you.
Joolz
Aug 25, 2014 Joolz rated it really liked it
What a great read! wasnt a fan but enjoyed him in Im a Celebrity so thought id give it a go. It's jam packed with names, stories and funny lines. It never lost any pace and if you are an old time raver or live in Manchester, then this definitely is for you!
bryan cameron
Apr 13, 2016 bryan cameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Legends story told

Fantastic read, all life's highs and lows told, stories of a celebrity who you can relate to and have shared experience's
Steven Palmer
Jul 18, 2013 Steven Palmer rated it really liked it
As expected, an anarchic jaunt through the rise and fall and partial rise again of those cheeky Mancunian caners. The book pulls no punches and it is no surprise to hear of Shaun's early criminal exploits and growing fondness for illegal substances. While hardly a beacon of outstanding literature, there are plenty of laughs as we follow Shaun and the boys on their adventures and misadventures in the music business. A few eye opening moments as he reveals some of the truth behind the fractures.
A
Sarah Goode
Jun 23, 2014 Sarah Goode rated it really liked it
Not a bad read. A gentle plod through his life story.
Nathan
Feb 14, 2013 Nathan rated it it was amazing
For me this book lies very close to my heart. As a teenager I grew up with the Mondays and teh Stone Roses etc It is a funny insight into the man and the band, How they formed together as kids and couldn't read or write let alone play music.
They way he talks about his drug habits though are quite disturbing, he talks about smack and crack cocaine like it was lemsip. There are lots of funny stories and old pictures in the book and I would really recommend it.
Jill Reid
Nov 12, 2012 Jill Reid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has had mixed reviews but I have to say I enjoyed it. It took me back to my own Madchester experiences although certainly not as 'colourful' as Shaun Ryder's.

Yes he had a touch of the 'slopey shoulders' about him in that nothing was his fault and he never had grudges and he could do no wrong but I think he must have been a nightmare to work with. That said, the way he portrayed those years was amusing and enjoyable.

Worth the read.
Sam
Jan 17, 2012 Sam rated it it was ok
An interesting read but I found it quite hard going.
For me, it was too much of a 'I did this', 'I did that' sort of book, at least he thought he'd done this and that but had been too off his head to really remember.
I also think the book is a bit disjointed (pun intended). It is as if Shaun had written all his various memories on bits of paper and that someone had been given the job of having to 'jigsaw' them together to make a book.
Gary Marshall
Ryder's biography is often very funny for the wrong reasons - the ghostwriter dropping out of character and using flowery phrases Ryder would never use; ryder's frequent "I'm not the kind to bear a grudge" proclamations before going into great detail about the grudge, and why none of it's his fault, etc - but it's quite good fun if you take it with a hefty pinch of salt.
Mike Worth
Nov 03, 2011 Mike Worth rated it liked it
Quite a good book, possibly best read after the John Warburton biography, Hallelujah. Probably a fair reflection of Shaun's mind and memories, but he definitely wants to answer a few questions and pretty posts a lot of blame anywhere but him. A rose tinted view of himself brought on by the drugs and lack of sobriety or the truth...tough one to call!
Tadhg Maccarthy
Nov 18, 2012 Tadhg Maccarthy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-work
One for the fans...

Shaun Ryder proclaimed as "the greatest poet since Yeats" by Tony Wilson of Factory Records. Not quite - but a poet for his generation.

Interesting insight into the debauched life of a rock'n'roll star. Good to see he's had a redemption.

Favourite quote "I truly believe you are what you eat - I was a pie for a long time"
Mary
Feb 17, 2013 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick interesting read. A totally alien way of life though. He's a bit full of himself considering there's not alot to be proud of apart from the music. Being a thief, drug dealer and user isn't something to be proud of. The best bits were about the early Manchester music scene, Hacienda etc.
Sally
Aug 28, 2012 Sally rated it did not like it
This is not generally my type of book (autobiog of an ugly, foulmouthed,drug-addled old pop star) but i have read so many good reviews of it, and it was cheap on Amazon, so I thought I would give it a go.

In the event - it was not worth it. I read it to half way then gave up.
Louise
Feb 06, 2012 Louise rated it liked it
I really like Shaun, however this book does give across the impression he thinks it's everyone's fault- but his. Still, good insight into his life, I just felt he could have been a little more honest with himself. Won't stop me liking him though.
Bart
Mar 07, 2013 Bart rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Written conversationally and, as you'd expect, with a fair amount of repetition.
No ground breaking revelations - Shaun can't remember most of what has happened to him, obviously.
One plus side - it got me listening to Squirrel & G-Man again...
Steve
Jan 20, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
Hilarious Madchester romp but as it gets onto Black Grape and I'm A Celebrity loses its lustre innit...
Jake
Leigh Roberts
Jan 05, 2013 Leigh Roberts rated it it was amazing
Usual rating, usual reason
Ian Grogan
Ian Grogan rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Marc Samuels
Marc Samuels rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Yssrs
Yssrs rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Dave Hardy
Dave Hardy marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
James Robertson
James Robertson marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
  • Telling Stories
  • The Stone Roses: And the Resurrection of British Pop
  • Renegade
  • The Stone Roses: War and Peace
  • Creation Stories: Riots, Raves and Running A Label
  • Bit of a Blur: The Autobiography
  • Freaky Dancin'
  • The Nearest Far Away Place: Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys, and the Southern California Experience
  • Saint Morrissey: A Portrait of This Charming Man by an Alarming Fan
  • Welcome to Biscuit Land: A Year in the Life of Touretteshero
  • Showbusiness: Diary of a Rock 'n' Roll Nobody
  • Mozipedia: The Encyclopedia of Morrissey and The Smiths
  • No Off Switch

“So, that was the original Happy Mondays line-up before Bez joined. Shaun Ryder, Paul Ryder, Mark Day, Paul Davis and Gaz Whelan. X, Horse, Cowhead, Knobhead and No Arse.” 1 likes