Start by marking “Cool Daddy Rat” as Want to Read:
Cool Daddy Rat

Cool Daddy Rat

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Every night, Cool Daddy Rat takes his bass case and goes out to play jazz and scat around the city. But one night he hears something strange: Peeky squeaky who dat? It's his son, Ace, hiding in the bass case! After a reassuring call to Mama, the pair go all over the city together, filling the streets with his sweet beat. And when Ace can't contain himself any longer, Cool ...more
Published March 27th 2008 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Cool Daddy Rat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cool Daddy Rat

Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
314th out of 727 books — 351 voters
Journey to Jazzland by Gia Volterra De SaulnierThis Jazz Man by Karen EhrhardtMysterious Thelonious by Chris RaschkaCharlie Parker Played Be Bop by Chris RaschkaJohn Coltrane's Giant Steps by Chris Raschka
Picture Books of JAZZ!
6th out of 15 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill Prosser
Fun, jazzy, scat read aloud! The kids are loving it in the library!
Denise
Decent picture books concerning music, genres, instruments etc. are hard to come by and this one does a fine job of being entertaining and informative. I would use this with preschool-3 grade.
Alexis
If you love fun picture books this is a great one! Kristyn Crow has a website and a blog YOu can find out updates on any books that she has written.
Agathafrye
I realized I don't really like scatting/jazztalk after reading this book. The pictures were great, though.
Roseann
This is a jazz-baby's best friend....read it out loud with a rat-a-tat-scat!!!!
Debbie Cranberry Fries
The Cranberryfries family LOVED this book! When I read this to my kids for the first time (they were 2, 3, 6) and my 2y/o danced and bounced to the words, my 3 y/o loved looking for things in the pictures and my 6 year old wanted to try to read it again by herself.

This is such a fabulous book! It was fun, as the reader, to get really animated about the words and try to read them with a lot of inflection and pizazz. On amazon you can check out the first page in the book and see what I mean. The
Mar 06, 2009 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennifer by: Bulletin 5-8 yrs
Cool Daddy Rat follows Daddy Rat and his stowaway son Ace through a night of bass-playing, scat-filled jazz gigs. Preschool kids will love all the silly-sounding scat words although most won't recognize the New York locations that form the background scenery and add extra flavor to the story. The illustrations are done in a cartoon style and colored with what look like watercolors to me (Sadly I do not have the book in front of me to check for an illustration note). I'd be interested to see how ...more
Kaethe
Great scat, and an opportunity to introduce the child to another kind of music.
Dana Fallentine
WOW! I love the sounds of this book! Totally fun... all about the sounds of the city! What a talented author! I'll buy all of her books! I can't wait for the next one! What a cool Mom author! Interesting title, regarding the rat, and the fact that you wrote about your time living in New York??? I was wondering why you chose a "rat"???? Were you talkig about your ex? Ha! I LOVED it, and can't wait to buy your next book!
Susan
0-7. Cute story of a scat rat who goes off to play jazz for the night in NYC only to discover his son has stowed away in his bass case. Instead of getting mad, the dad and son experience the night of music together. At the end of the nice, to his surprise, dad learns that son can scat too. Jumpy scat rhymes, and colorful sketchy illustrations done "with a No 2 pencil, watercolor, and a Mac".
Shelli
Since I do not have a cool deep jazzy voice I wish this book had come with an audio CD that provided that, and some sweet jazz tunes mixed throughout. - That would have made the book perfect! I love picture books that introduce children to varieties of music that they may otherwise not hear in this day of crappy over played "singles" on the radio.
Brianna
I bought this book at a writer's conference and met the author. My kids love this book! I bought it for my 5 year old boy and when we read it we find his older sisters, ages 8 & 11, migrating in to listen. It's very fun to read. We have it down to Mommy's style and Daddy's style. Thanks Kristyn.
Marguarite Markley
Tons of sounds! Need to practice before reading aloud to a group of children though...maybe listen to some scat music to get in the mood before reading. :)
Alice
I like the rhythm of this book. It has to be read 'right' or it doesn't work. I had a teenager read it with no enthusiasm and no inflection, and then I read it with inflection and enthusiasm and it sounded fun! This author did a live read at our library today and she was great.
Leigh
Mock Caldecott. Jazz story about a rat dad and his son, they play jazz all over NY. Cool sounds to act out, this would be probably be really entertaining as a CD. Not my cup of tea, but in the right hands, this book could be a hit at storytimes.
Sheri
Love the skat in this book and the jazzy references. I spent time reading this myself and then to five different children. We liked the rhyme but lost the story reading all the funny jazz words. But is a fun read for children and their parents.
Molly
I love books that show jazz artists. This is a great one where a young rat goes with his dad to music events. I love the rythm of the book and for once I don't mind that they are rats which are normally just gross in my opinion.
Megan
Lines of scat are inserted between lines of the story of a rat-child who sneaks into his Daddy-rat's bass case and accompanies him on his gigs throughout the city during a day. Must be read aloud!
Terry
Jan 27, 2011 Terry marked it as wish-list
Brian and Stephen at Book Dads find some of the coolest books I've never heard about. The mere mention of New York and jazz in their review of Cool Daddy Rat got me interested in this one.
Sherri
My 3 year old loved the rhymes in this book. He even tried to scat along with the book. It was fun to read about the different places that the Rat got to scat around New York City.
Amy Brown
Cool daddy rat goes out for a gig and Lucky Ace tags along hiding in the bass case. This is a good book to use to introduce kids to jazz. I liked it but it's not my favorite musical book.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Everything is fine with this one: good beat, fun words, a little bit of a "storyline" where Ace shows off his talent to his cool daddy rat. The illustrations fit the mood well.
Amanda
So much fun...ZOW!

If you ever wanted to scat, well, this is just the book for that! I only wish I would have discovered it sooner.
Tricia
lots of doo wop and scatty skit. not sure if i can pull it off but in the hands of a trained professional, it would be great.
Kris
I love the words of this book, but must be jazz-impaired because I can't scan it right to read it smoothly aloud!
Kim
Blues rat follws the sights and sounds of NYC. Great for storytime - if willing to make sounds fun
Molly
Fun! This is a good choice for a vocabulary oriented story time- lots of uncommon words here!
Christy
Collin loved this book. I didn't think he would like it, but he is now a huge fan of scat!!!!!!
Paula
Jul 02, 2011 Paula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pic
good reading for 'Mardi Gras'. Can be easily jazzed up with the rhymes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kristyn Crow is the author of four children's picture books: COOL DADDY RAT (Putnam), BEDTIME AT THE SWAMP (HarperCollins, THE MIDDLE CHILD BLUES (Putnam, coming soon) and SKELETON CAT (Scholastic, coming soon). COOL DADDY RAT received starred reviews from Publishers Weekly and School Library Journal. She is the mother of seven children, some with special needs, and Kristyn has written hundreds of ...more
More about Kristyn Crow...
Zombelina Bedtime at the Swamp The Middle-Child Blues Skeleton Cat The Really Groovy Story of the Tortoise and the Hare