Start by marking “When the Hurt Runs Deep: Healing and Hope for Life's Desperate Moments” as Want to Read:
When the Hurt Runs Deep: Healing and Hope for Life's Desperate Moments

When the Hurt Runs Deep: Healing and Hope for Life's Desperate Moments

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Where Can You Turn for Hope When the Hurt Runs Deep?

At some point in life, every one of us will face the dark pain of heartache and despair, a hurt that pierces so deep we’re left gasping with questions:

Why me? Why now?

What have I done to deserve this?

Will the pain ever go away?

How can God just stand by and let this happen?

What do I have left to hope for?

Writing from insig
Paperback, Large Print, 416 pages
Published January 18th 2012 by Christian Large Print (first published July 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about When the Hurt Runs Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Hurt Runs Deep

At first, I thought it was rushing towards a message of Hope and Healing without really exploring what makes us bleed. Then I realized that this is a 'weaving' book - she weaves between issues of real suffering and heartache, real questions and even accusations that pour out of us, and what we have to lay hold of in Scriptures in our war against Satan's lies (essentially, that if we're suffering, God doesn't love us and the suffering doesn't have any purpose). I found it helpful to be pointed ba ...more
Kaitlin Hall
It was a very good book! It opened my eyes in anew way, and it helped me alot. Kay Arthur is a very good writer and I hope to read more of her books sometime:)
I received this book while I was dealing with rejection by the church to a calling God put on my heart. I was blocked. On top of that I was dealing with hurt by the attitude of some people. So it was very timely.

It has not only helped me as I've tried to understand why God would call me, men reject me, etc. But I know God understands. The book has helped me draw closer to God and his soveignity.

If we would admit it, not a one of us hasn't asked, "Why Me?", "Why Now?", Where is God in this?, etc.
One doesn't have to live long to realize that Jesus was right when He said, “In the world ye shall have tribulation.” Hurt crops up all over the landscape of our lives. Sometimes the pain become crippling, devastating, and we're left wondering what to do while we wait for the promised “overcoming” of this world (John 16:33). Kay Arthur offers twelve healing truths while drawing from the lives of Biblical characters, those willing to share their stories, and her own personal experience. Can Jesus ...more
Several years ago, my family went through a very dark and trying time of betrayal and pain. Our hurt was so deep that we could not see an end to it. Instead, we just tried to get through one day at a time while we asked God “Why?” So when I saw this new book by Kay Arthur I was very eager to read her thoughts on this subject. I was not disappointed.

By looking at the lives of Job and Joseph, we are able to see that other people have been where we are and that God does have a plan for our lives e
"When the Hurt Runs Deep" explores Scripture to find answers to why God allows us to suffer deeply and how to heal from these deep hurts. It used examples from real people's lives, both those in the Bible and today. The author covered a wide variety of specific situations that can cause deep hurt as well as general ones. She gave solid, Scriptural answers to why God allows such suffering to touch His followers (and others). She also pointed the way toward healing. At the back of the book, she in ...more
In this book, Kay tackles such topics as the right time for anger, the root of pain, the purpose of pain, how to deal with lingering hurts, can Jesus understand our hurts, and how to pull the plug on pain. I especially liked Kay’s list of truths and practical suggestions for hanging onto God through each difficult day. 1.For reasons we may not understand, God allowed this. 2.Seek the companionship of the Lord. 3.Face the facts. 4. Go ahead and grieve. 5.Don’t continually revisit details. 6.Time ...more
Thought provoking, biblical, and heart-warming. It's an excellent book for anyone in the throngs of hurt who longs to find the light at the end of the tunnel.
Anne Gazzolo
Encouraging book for anyone hurting to know that God is with you through it all!
I read a chapter every day as a devotion. I can tell Kay Arthur knows deep hurt from her writing, but she also, knows her God and His word. Out of that hurt she gives moving understanding of one who is suffering. Her writing takes you through steps of seeing your pain in different and healing ways to reach hope in the darkness. I highly recommend reading this book if your hurt runs deep or you know someone in deep pain.
Tamika Sims
Where do I begin? Kay Arthur provides the reader with practical tips to overcoming your heart and recognizing that God is in all things. Coming out of an abusive relationship, was one of the hardest things I've had to do thus far - I needed this book to help me.

I had a difficult time trying to understand why God allowed this to happen to me, until I learned to be grateful that this was ALL God allowed to happen to me.

I recommend this book to anyone struggling with life's hurts. Healing and del
Renata Sutton
I loved this book..
Great book!! I can tell Kay Arthur has a lot of compassion for her readers, she has gone through hard times and can really relate to those who have gone through difficult times.

We can either hold on to the pain of bitterness and not forgive the ones who have hurt us or we can apply God's truth into our life and forgive as Christ has forgiven us. And by truly forgiving, you will find healing and peace.
Randy Alcorn
Kay Arthur’s When the Hurt Runs Deep: Healing and Hope for Life’s Desperate Moments is a beautiful blend of grace and truth. It’s clear, compassionate, biblically grounded and Christ-centered. As usual, Kay’s words honor and declare God’s Word, which alone can bear the weight of our trust. I’m happy to recommend this outstanding book.
Wonderful audio book, read by the author. A Biblical look at life when things go "wrong". Whether the hurt comes from something out of our control, or if we cause the pain ourselves, Kay Arthur, looks to the Bible for answers on how to not only survive those devasting times, but to come out on the other side stronger.
A book I would highly recommend.

If you personally do not find something within these pages that speaks to your life [which would surprise me], you would at least be prepared to shared coherently when someone near to you needs good sound advice. It covers a variety of situations that could cause hurt and pain.
Patty Corwin
What a powerful and timely book! For anyone who believes in God and suffers hurt of any type, this is a wonderful resource. I am reading it due to a recent hurt in my life and find it very uplifting. The Bible rimless in it are true and powerful.
I didn't finish it because reading it to discuss with a friend and we ended up not able to get together. I think to someone in deep pain there was a lot of good points from what I read and would recommend it.
Sandy Van der meulen
Excellent book!! Went through the whole church drama and this was such an on time book. Kay doesn't write this from a mountain top she delivers this healing message from the trenches!!
I thought this book was good. It helped in my infertility battle but I will be able to pull aspects out of it to help in my career.
Black marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Linda marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Patricia marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Crystal marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Kimberly Atkins anderson
Kimberly Atkins anderson marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
  • If God Is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil
  • Foolproofing Your Life: Wisdom for Untangling Your Most Difficult Relationships
  • Becoming a Woman of Prayer
  • Spiritual Warfare: Christians, Demonization, and Deliverance
  • Torn: Trusting God When Life Leaves You in Pieces
  • What Women Don't Know (and Men Don't Tell You): The Unspoken Rules of Finding Lasting Love
  • The Blessing
  • God Wins: Heaven, Hell, and Why the Good News Is Better Than Love Wins
  • The Next Level: A Parable of Finding Your Place in Life
  • When Work and Family Collide: Keeping Your Job from Cheating Your Family
  • Finding Peace for Your Heart: A Woman's Guide to Emotional Health
  • Man Alive: Transforming Your Seven Primal Needs into a Powerful Spiritual Life
  • The Necessity of an Enemy: How the Battle You Face Is Your Best Opportunity
Kay Arthur (born November 11, 1933 in Jackson, Michigan) is an international Bible teacher, four-time ECPA Christian Book Award winning author, and co-CEO of Precept Ministries International. Kay has systematized studying the Bible, developing a set of steps to follow so as to "mine" the details of the given book under study. Being systematized, it is accessible to lay persons, rather than scholar ...more
More about Kay Arthur...