Start by marking “John Carter: A Princess of Mars” as Want to Read:
John Carter: A Princess of Mars

John Carter: A Princess of Mars

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Captain John Carter finds himself on a strange new world where he must fi ght for his very life - and for the heart of a princess! Edgar Rice Burroughs' legendary novels come to life in this action-packed, all-new re-envisioned adventure! Meet the Tharks, terrible warrior race of Mars! See Woola, the scariest guard dog you'll ever lay eyes upon! Gasp as John Carter battles ...more
Published February 15th 2012 by Marvel (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about John Carter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Carter

Mike
A comic adaptation of Edgar Rice Burrough's classic novel about John Carter, a former Confederate army officer who finds himself mysteriously transported to Mars. While many of the events of the original novel are reproduced here, the tone is quite different.

In adapting the dialogue for the comic, the writer has chosen to modernize the language to such a degree that Carter is no longer recognizable as someone from the 19th century. Carter uses many verbal anachronisms throughout the story, star
Matthew
This adaptation of the ERB title is OK but nothing more. The dialogue could be better done; leaving the 19th Century for something closer to SK8-r talk does not seem worthwhile. The art is truly sketchy and the coloring is muddy. (Plus the binding is AWFUL.) At least this is an all-ages adaptations, which does seem to lean closer to ERB's writing than do the Dynamite adaptations. Overall A Princess of Mars deserves a better graphic adaptation than this.
Jo Bennie
Nov 30, 2014 Jo Bennie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: l
This is a graphic novel adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' first Barsoom novel and I have to admit I haven't read the original, but the adapatation is well drawn and full of life.

John Carter is a prospector in the Arizona desert in the early days of America. He wakes up from being overcome by fumes while escaping men on horseback to find himself stranded on Mars, the prisoner of green many armed lizard like creatures who call themselves Tharks. He can understand them but they cannot understand
Gossymotto
This must have been a fascinating story at the time it was first written. Quite an imagination for sure, but reading it now, although interesting, was kind f cliche now. I wouldn't say I knew the details of how the story would go but there was no guess work and figuring out that things were going to go John Carter's way and that there was no question that he would win every battle. Your were almost expected to just assume that as the reader. John Carter is a hero, a man's man, the perfect gentle ...more
Diz
The art is very stylized and is attractive. A good effort was made to abridge the story, and the result is a story with a quicker pace and with less self-narration, which makes it an easier read than the original. Worth picking up if you are a fan of classic science fantasy.
Violetta
At the expense of adding, say, 5 more pages, they could've gained a much fuller story arc. The illustration is not to my taste at all (it's reminiscent of the old MTV shows Alexander and Aeon Flux). The facial expressions are shallow and the prose for dialogue is choppy.

The graphic novelization follows Edgar Rice Burrough's first John Carter of Mars story, Princess of Mars, in which John is transported to Mars and becomes a prisoner of the Tharks. They come to respect him for his fighting abilit
Karin
I tried to listen to this book on tape during a road trip, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was partly the narrator? The story takes place on Mars so it has to establish and explain a completely different species, culture, environment, code of conduct, etc. A lot of stuff happened, but I honestly just didn't care about the fate of the Martians or John Carter or even the princess. I turned it off about 1/3 through the recording and chose to stare out the window at the Wyoming terrain ins ...more
c wylie misselhorn
This was a fun, classic save the princess tale... on Mars. The artwork was nice; heavy on the stylization.
Scott Erickson
A strange, interesting story. It well encompasses the time, I think. The adventure, the fantasies of life beyond the Earth, and a pretty good example of the cliche gringo fantasy so well described here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iIkOi3srLo

I think it also has some subtle jibes at irrational political decisions, as well as not-so-subtle political commentary on Communism, which was just getting popular then. So there's some interesting things to find underneath the stereotypical and often times predi
Diana
As many have said, not my preferred style of illustration, very dark & muddy, proportions grossly exaggerated, so much so that it detracts from the story, which seemed to a be seriously abridged version, as the tale seemed to jump forward on several occasions. Most annoying was the background of John Carter's journal, a brown to beige ombré with black text that was near impossible to read in the dim light of my bedside table.
Robin (Bridge Four)
I will have to say that this is one of the few books that I liked the movie adaption more than the actual book. The book was still enjoyable but Disney’s interpretation I think was even better than the book. The writing style took a little time to get used to but once I was enthralled in the story it started feeling natural. Fun read with enough differences from the movie which I saw first to keep it interesting.
Tracy
The art is energetic, and dynamic (though many may find Filipe Andrade's style to be closer to caricature). The writing is fairly lacking. The dialog and pacing is so break-neck that I don't have a sense of any character's motivation. Nevertheless, the book had a few lovely moments in it, and I am intrigued enough to pick up the next volume. Or perhaps to read the original!
Charles
Not my favorite. The art seemed a bit dark and muddy for my tastes, and the faces and bodies were so distorted. Too, the dialogue that was put into Carter's mouth sounded like a modern teenage boy in too many ways. I'm sure younger readers might appreciate it but it was too much for this 53 year old reader who has been a longggg time fan of the John Carter tales.
Beth
Brilliant! While I read this book, I was constantly amazed by the fact that it was written at the beginning of the 20th Century, when very little was known of life on other planets and well before the idea of space travel was considered possible.

The language is a little archaic but beautiful and addictive.
Mike Thomas
A very good graphic novel, the artwork is good, not brilliant, but good. I like the way they made John Carter speak more modern than in the books, overall a great read, looking forward to the next graphic novel, called The World Of Mars, the official prequel to the upcoming film, John Carter.
Patricia
I enjoyed this John Carter gn, too, but I didn't like the illustration style as much as the World of Mars gn, which is more realistic/heroic style. Still, if you are a John Carter fan, like sci fi action & intrigue, and/or Edgar Rice Burroughs, you must read this!
Kim
Quirky, but beautifully drawn. Yet the action seldom gets the punch it needs, nor the characters the spark they need. Langridges script is a decent yarn, but without the chatm of his better stuff. Still, entertaining.
Matthew
Gorgeous art but a little thin on the adaptation of the story. Another issue worth of pages would have really helped open up the world a bit.
Susan
So this re-telling is pretty disjointed, but the original story is pure crack. Only not at all in a good or entertaining way.
Mike
A cool story about a man who is transported to Mars. I found it hard to believe it was written in the 1800's.
Pedro Tomás García
Muy entretenido, la película sin ser tan mala como han dicho por ahí, no le termina de hacer justicia al libro
Miikka
Love how it's drawn and colored, didn't care for the adaptation of the story.
Ting
The illustrations are kind of cool but the dialogue is lamentable.
Ned Leffingwell
The story seemed too abridged and the artwork too busy.
Philip
Decent early sci-fi.
Biankks
Biankks marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Corto Maltese: Una ballata del mare salato
  • FreakAngels, Volume 5 (FreakAngels, #5)
  • Batgirl, Vol. 3: Death Wish
  • Llana of Gathol and John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #10-11)
  • Batman: Harley & Ivy
  • Okko: The Cycle of Air (Okko, #3)
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Vol. 2
  • Lost Cargo
  • August Moon
  • What Price Honor? (Star Trek: Enterprise #4)
  • The Immortal: A Novel of The Somadàrsath (The Seven Wars, #1)
  • Communion of Dreams
  • Death, Lies, & Treachery (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #1-3)
  • Army of One (Star Force, #4.5)
  • Jinchalo
  • The Three Little Pigs
  • Summer Wars, Vol. 01
Roger Langridge has been producing comics for over twenty years. Most recently, he has attracted critical attention for his work on the Harvey Award-winning Muppet Show Comic Book (Boom! Studios) and Thor: The Mighty Avenger (Marvel Comics); other works of note include Marvel's Fin Fang Four, Fantagraphics' Zoot! and Art d'Ecco (in collaboration with his brother Andrew), and the NCS, Ignatz, Eisne ...more
More about Roger Langridge...
Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 1 Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 2 Thor the Mighty Avenger The Muppet Show Comic Book: Meet The Muppets Snarked Vol.1: Forks and Hope