Start by marking “HTML5: The Missing Manual” as Want to Read:
HTML5: The Missing Manual

HTML5: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)

HTML5 is more than a markup language—it's a dozen independent web standards all rolled into one. Until now, all it's been missing is a manual. With this thorough, jargon-free guide, you'll learn how to build web apps that include video tools, dynamic drawings, geolocation, offline web apps, drag-and-drop, and many other features. HTML5 is the future of the Web, and with th

Published August 23rd 2011 by O'Reilly Media, Incorporated (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about HTML5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HTML5

Neil Dauphinee
Apr 28, 2012 Neil Dauphinee rated it liked it
This is a good book for anyone who wants to explore the possibilities of HTML5. What I took away from the book, however, was that until a larger number of browsers get up to speed (notably Internet Explorer), HTML5 is not a wise choice for building a new (or updating an existing) website.

Heads-up: The is an example driven book - not a tutorial driven book. I was looking for the latter and bought the 'missing manual' offering because other 'missing manual' texts I've used were tutorial driven.

Tha
NJ Wong
Jan 20, 2016 NJ Wong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matthew MacDonald is one of my favourite IT authors, and this book does not disappoint. I always like the way he uses very useful and practical solutions to real-life programming problems as his teaching examples. And despite the fact that this book is called "HTML5", I actually learnt quite a bit about CSS and Javascript in this book. Highly recommended.
Jamie Belanger
Nov 07, 2014 Jamie Belanger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this to get up to speed on HTML5 since most web coding I do uses a mish-mash of pretty much every previous version. I rather liked the Missing Manual approach. This was well-written and easy to follow. Gave me lots of ideas for things I can update in my HTML code.
Mike
Jan 06, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a decent overview of HTML5. Not really a programming guide, but gives a good introduction to all of the features.
Shows a dislike for Internet Explorer fairly often, which got a little tiresome.
Anton Antonov
Nov 14, 2014 Anton Antonov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
A gem for every newbie web guy.
Russ
Sep 16, 2014 Russ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-books
Amied at people with knowledge of HTML/CSS/Javascript who want to get up to speed with the new symanics and features that have come about with HTML5.
Kyle
Jul 23, 2012 Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-design
I know everyone on goodreads is dying to know that I read this guidebook.
Charo
this book is good
William
Dec 20, 2011 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I have never been disappointed in the Missing Manual series. Easy to follow, pertinent material. As a bonus, the author provides a review of CSS and JavaScript (essential elements for HTML5).
Steve Lackey
Dec 25, 2012 Steve Lackey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent overview, but little coverage of new features like Canvass and the new File system and Data APIs.
Mellodi Parks
Jan 02, 2013 Mellodi Parks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was a good start for those of you wanting to learn. However, like any reference book like this. Don't rely on just one source of information.
Dignesh Patel
Dignesh Patel rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Aura
Aura rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Walter Steger
Walter Steger rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Spencer
Spencer rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2013
Bryan Hoffman
Bryan Hoffman rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Jesse Liberty
Jesse Liberty rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Jeannine Dennis
Jeannine Dennis rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2017
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Turgut Ozben
Turgut Ozben rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Jacques Hugon
Jacques Hugon rated it it was ok
May 24, 2015
Julio Sueiras
Julio Sueiras rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Ziyang
Ziyang rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Dmitry Yarikov
Dmitry Yarikov rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
George Jacob
George Jacob rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • CSS3: The Missing Manual
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • C# 5.0 in a Nutshell: The Definitive Reference
  • Linux Server Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips and Tools
  • Learning Javascript Design Patterns
  • JavaScript Pocket Reference
  • Programming Android: Java Programming for the New Generation of Mobile Devices
  • Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • What's New in Java 7?
  • Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Dynamic Websites
  • High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, Load Balancing & More
  • Perl Best Practices: Standards and Styles for Developing Maintainable Code
  • Mastering Web Application Development with AngularJS
  • Pro Html5 Programming: Powerful APIs for Richer Internet Application Development
  • HTML5 & CSS3 For The Real World
  • HTML5: Up and Running
  • Perl Cookbook
  • Learning Jquery: Better Interaction Design and Web Development with Simple JavaScript Techniques

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Matthew MacDonald is a science and technology writer with well over a dozen books to his name. He's particularly known for his books about building websites, which include a do-it-from-scratch tutorial (Creating a Website: The Missing Manual), a look at cutting-edge HTML5 (HTML5: The Missing Manual), and a WordPress primer (WordPress: The Missing Manual). He's also written a series of books about ...more
More about Matthew MacDonald...

Missing Manuals (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Access 2007: The Missing Manual
  • Access 2010: The Missing Manual
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • CSS3: The Missing Manual
  • Dreamweaver CS3 The Missing Manual
  • JavaScript The Missing Manual
  • JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual
  • Mac OS X: Tiger Edition (The Missing Manual)
  • Office 2008 for Macintosh: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual