Start by marking “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)” as Want to Read:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket #1)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  488,103 Ratings  ·  8,180 Reviews
When Charlie Bucket finds himself the proud winner of a Golden Ticket in a chocolate bar, he knows he has the greatest treat in the world in store for him. Join Charlie on his fantastic world-famous adventures in Willy Wonka's miraculous chocolate factory, where he sees strawberry-juice water pistols, luminous lollipops, a chocolate river, and rainbow drops -- and has the ...more
Audio, Unabridged, 4 pages
Published October 22nd 2002 by Harper Collins (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, please sign up.

Diana Quenaysheia you can only rate the books here and write your review. You also can read the description of each book to see the story.
Tiernan Brennan…more
Tiernan Brennan there's no need to be rude, you need to be better with people(less)
Dayanara its about a boy who cant afford anything found a golden ticket in order to go to the chocolate factory but u can read it and find more about it....

Patrick
Tonight I just finished reading Charlie and the Chocolate factory with my son. This is the first chapter book I've read all the way through with him. And it was a ton of fun.

First off, I'll admit that I love the movie. I grew up with it. (I'm talking about the Gene Wilder version, of course.)I'll even admit to liking the movie better than the book. Which is something that doesn't happen very often with me.

That said, the book is really, really good. It held my four-year old's attention. It's si
Grace Tjan
Jess, my 7 year old little girl, gives it 5 stars.

Comments while reading:

“How come someone is called ‘Gloop’? And ‘Salt’? Isn’t that the thing that we use for cooking?”

“What is ‘spoiled’? Oh, okay, I’m NOT spoiled.”

“Huh, Grandpa Joe is 96 years old?! How come that he’s even older than my grandpa?”

“How come Charlie’s dad can’t work at the toothpaste factory anymore? What does ‘bankrupt’ mean?”

“Will Charlie ever get the golden ticket?”

“Yes! Charlie found it!”

“Mr. Wonka looks like a clown!”

“How com
Lyn
Nov 17, 2014 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gene Wilder June 11, 1933 - August 29, 2016 - Goodbye Gene, you'll always be Willy Wonka to me.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl first published in 1964 was an immediate children’s classic and has inspired two film versions.

I was surprised to see that neither of the films came close to Dahl’s text. Dahl’s Willy Wonka is a dark creature who killed children, crushed their bones and baked them into the candy bars.

Just kidding.

This is of course a delightful children’s / young adult fan
Bookdragon Sean
I was planning on writing an extremely argumentative review explaining how sadistically vile Willie Wonka is, and how his god-like complex ruined the lives of four flawed children. But that seems insensitive at the moment.

Instead I shall simply say that Gene Wilder dominated his performance as Willie Wonka. He carried all the outward charm, the charisma and the playfulness, but still managed to portray the suggestions of darkness that permeate this character’s heart. Wonka is far from a good ma
Jan-Maat
Slightly odd story of virtuous poverty rewarded by evil capitalist who caused the poverty by firing all his workers in favour of employing non-human immigrants.

Unemployment from the chocolate factory, apparently the only consumer of labour in the otherwise stagnant economy of Charlie's home town, (proving I suppose that an excess of chocolate is really bad for you both economically and physically) requires that all of his grandparents have to live and sleep in one bed while the family slowly sta
Justin
Apr 09, 2017 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sitting here on the couch watching Violet turn violet and fill up with juice before being sent off to the de-juicing room. The sun is going down, and it's almost bedtime out here, at least for the kids. My night is just beginning. I've been halfway following along with the movie and thinking about how awesome it was to be a kid- to dream of chocolate factories and eating a lifetime supply of chocolate with no fear of diabetes or a heart attack.

This was the first book I read all the way thro
Jason Koivu
Nov 23, 2008 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, food, humor, fantasy
I was ten years old and already the magic was gone from the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, leprechauns, Santa Claus and his buddy the Krampus. All was stripped of its power to enthrall. Heck, even sex had been demystified years prior.

Then along came Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It gloried in candy, my number one passion of the day. But not only that, eating candy was the means to getting even MORE candy!

description

Ah, the golden ticket. How, oh, how I longed for it to be a real thing! I would've tr
James
One of the first books I ever read. I wanted to watch the movie, but wasn't allowed to until I read the book. And so I did. And now, every few years, I want to again. It's been a long time. But who doesn't love chocolate and dreams and wishes and gifts? I think I may read this series... only looked at the first one.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
If you ever want to cheer yourself up, go back and read a book you loved and read over and over as a child. For me, this is one book that will always be better than any movie they make from it. Nothing Hollywood does with special effects will ever be as magical as what Roald Dahl did with just plain old words.

It has been MANY long years since I last looked at this book, but it all came back to me as soon as I turned to the first page and saw the illustrations. I was immediately carried away by
Manny

"And now," said Willy Wonka, "we're going to see something extra special... my Metaphorical Candy Room!" He flung open the doors, and the five children peeked inside. Augustus Gloop beamed with delight.

"That's the BIGGEST BOWL OF SKITTLES I'VE EVER SEEN!" he yelled.

"Indeed it is, indeed it is," said Willy Wonka proudly. "Three point three million of them! One for every Muslim in the United States! But, before you eat any, I must warn you... some of them are POISONED!"

"How many?" asked Violet Bea
Manny
Since the Swiss make the best chocolate figures in the world, I thought I would pick up a few to take with me to England. I was originally only intending to buy a couple of chocolate rabbits, engagingly goofy-looking with big buck teeth and natty bow-ties, but the selection was so enticing that I eventually walked out with four rabbits, a chicken with a marzipan waistcoat and a chocolate chalet. I explained to the nice assistant that they would be accompanying me to London later that day, and sh ...more
Matt
Nov 24, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
Before there were amorous zombies, sleuthing twelve year-olds, or even a teacher who traipsed around in his underwear, children turned to Roald Dahl for their literary entertainment. I thought it the perfect time to zip through time and relive one of my childhood favourites, in hopes that I might soon introduce my son to the wonders of Willy Wonka and his glorious factory. Dahl opens by presenting the reader with Charlie Bucket and his family, confined to a small cottage on the outskirts of town ...more
Duane
If you don't already know that Charlie inherits Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, then this review contains a spoiler.

"The meek shall inherit the earth". That biblical phrase certainly applies to this story. Charlie Bucket is the epitome of meek. But he is also serious, polite, kind, and...well, he is just the perfect kid. In this story he doesn't inherit the earth but he does inherit Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Ah! What a chocolate factory. The inside kind of reminded me of the Land of Oz.
midnightfaerie
Feb 07, 2012 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, classics
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl is an obvious classic in my book. Besides the fact its been around for awhile already, it definitely has that magic factor that pulls you in. Anyone with even a remnant left of their kid's heart in them, will love this book. I believe this story, not the book, but at least the story has a huge following, due in part to the movie starring Gene Wilder. I love Johnny Depp, but he lacks the whimsical weirdness of the previous Wonka and is just weird. H ...more
Ariel
Feb 03, 2014 Ariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS WAS GREAT! I've never read any Roald Dahl before, but of course I've heard of the legend and so when I was assigned to read this for my Children's Lit class I was super pumped. And best of all, I enjoyed it! There's always the fear that books won't live up to the hype, but I think this did.

I loved Charlie and his Grandpa as the main protagonists: they were humble, and sweet, and smart. I loved Willy Wonka: he was energetic and excited and brilliant and sarcastic as all hell. And I loved how
Heba
Jan 19, 2016 Heba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
يكفي إن الابتسامة لم تفارقني طوال قراءتها :)
وعليك ألا تشعر بالخيبة ..فلا تدري ما الذي يُخبئه لك القدر :)
Vitor Martins
Demorei bastante pra pegar esse livro pra ler achando que, por já ter visto os filmes e o musical muitas vezes, eu não encontraria nada de novo nessa história.
Mas como eu estava enganado!

Nenhuma adaptação, por mais fiel que ela seja, poderia substituir a escrita gostosa e brilhante do Roald Dahl. Mesmo sabendo tudo que ia acontecer na história, cada capítulo era uma surpresa muito gostosa.

O livro me deu uma visão muito diferente a respeito do Charlie e do Willy Wonka. Descobri um Charlie muito
Becky
This book was quite disturbing. I mean Augustus Gloop, who apparently had a nasty cold, completely contaminated the entire chocolate river, and then Wonka scoops out cup-fulls for Charlie and Grandpa Joe to drink, and they do. Nasty! You just know that Augustus peed himself from fear when he fell in, too!

I really enjoyed this, with the exception of the insanely long Oompa-Loompa songs. I just don't like reading verse, no matter how clever it is, so I skimmed these sections. Sometimes pages of t
Fatemeh Nazari
اولين بار فيلمش رو با بازى جانى دپ از تلويزيون ديدم. كوچيك بودم كه تماشاخانه شبكه ى پنج پخش مى كرد و من هر بار ميديدمش. عاشق اين فيلم بودم. عاشق ويلى ونكا و كارخونه ى جادويىِ شكلات سازيش بودم. عاشق اون قيافه و رفتاراى عجيب و غريبش بودم.
گذشت و گذشت تا يك ماه پيش كه تو شهركتاب چشمم خورد به كتابش. وسوسه شدم و خريدمش. و از اين بابت خيلى خوشحالم. فوق العاده بود. ايده ى كتاب و سبك نوشتنش جورى بود كه يكسره خوندمش و با اينكه تمام داستان رو ميدونستم و تك تك صحنه هاش رو حفظ بودم واسم كلى جذاب بود :)
يه تش
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
Harry's tormentor? Or, Charlie's mother? Or, Marla Sanger?
emily
Mar 28, 2016 emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't decide what to rate this!!! It seems odd rating it, because even though I didn't read it as a child I still know the story so well since the movies (well, the first one) is adapted so nicely. It's a great story. Really dark, actually, darker when you read it, but it still feels weird rating a story I already know so well. It didn't feel new, just nice and comforting because it was familiar.

I had this as 3 stars when I was writing but now I'm changing to 4, I don't know why, they aren't
Amin
خلاقیت رولد دال توی این کتاب واقعا مثالزدنیه. به نظرم اگه کسی دور و برش بچهای میشناسه که اندک علاقهای به کتاب داره، حتما باید این کتاب رو براش بخره و بهش بده که مطالعه کنه. البته نسل اینجور بچهها تقریبا منقرض شده و اکثر بچهها یه جورایی تبدیل به "مایک تیوی" شدن. اینکه این کتاب مناسب بچههاست، به این معنی نیست که افراد بزرگسال نمیتونن ازش لذت ببرن؛ من خودم از این کتاب خیلی لذت بردم.

شوخطبعی آقای ونکا هم واقعا جالب بود.
Ali
Dec 23, 2015 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january-16
This one has to be one of my favorite stories. Such a fun, quick and easy read. Roald Dahl's writing style is super entertaining. Can't wait to read more by him.
Nicay │  The Nerdy side of a Queen
description

I am a grown up woman yet I prefer reading middle grade books. Why I am reading this kind of genre? Am I crazy? Am I not in the mood to read deeper books? My answer was NO. Simply because, reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory doesn’t give not only light read but it gives lessons that sometimes adult like us seems to forget.

It was really fascinating and somehow hilarious that this kind of children books were the one gave me realizations that I admittedly forget of how important great values
Eslam Ahmed
Feb 09, 2016 Eslam Ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eslam by: Heba
جميلة جداً :))
نفسي ف الشوكولاتة :D
Islam Salem
May 18, 2016 Islam Salem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
بأنصح أي واحد أو واحدة بيفكروا يعملوا رچيم ، لا يتفرجوا على الفيلم ولا يقرأوا الرواية :)
إلِــيْ

وهشوف الفيلم علشان المتعة تكمل
*_*
Carmine
Jan 10, 2016 Carmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Come non dare 5 stelle ad un capolavoro della narrativa per ragazzi?
Dahl esalta i valori di altruismo e generosità, condannando i vizi dei figli, spesso corroborati dal permissivismo di genitori sempre più assenti nell'ambito familiare.
L'idea della fabbrica è un pretesto, incredibilmente suggestivo, sulla quale l'autore costruisce la semplice ed importante morale di fondo.
Miss Cathy Winter
Dec 15, 2016 Miss Cathy Winter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¡Me ha gustado mucho! No me suele entusiasmar el género infantil o middle grade pero este libro (y el autor) han sido todo un descubrimiento.
Eso sí, no me esperaba que fuera tan deprimente al principio...
Klinta
Aug 18, 2016 Klinta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full Review.

I'm not entirely sure, if I have read it before or my only encounter with the story has been the film (2005), but nevertheless, this exceeded my expectations.

I could see the lessons author tried to give, I could see the pain and poorness and almost started to cry. The unjust world and how things are run in it. And well honestly my only objection was 'winning' the unknown competition. You can't win, if everyone except you were tested, that usually means cheating.

I loved Oompa-Loompa
Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp? 181 846 Mar 09, 2017 05:12PM
about the book 2 11 Jan 26, 2017 07:10AM
  • Pluk van de Petteflet
  • The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1)
  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (The Herdmans #1)
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • De kleine kapitein
  • The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)
  • Last Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #6)
  • Piotr
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Tom's Midnight Garden
  • Three Tales Of My Father's Dragon
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • Bartholomew and the Oobleck

More about Roald Dahl...

Charlie Bucket (1 books)
  • Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Charlie Bucket, #2)

“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray,
Go throw your TV set away,
And in its place you can install
A lovely bookshelf on the wall.
Then fill the shelves with lots of books.”
6382 likes
“Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called canibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies.” 950 likes