Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  347,568 ratings  ·  5,297 reviews
When Charlie Bucket finds himself the proud winner of a Golden Ticket in a chocolate bar, he knows he has the greatest treat in the world in store for him. Join Charlie on his fantastic world-famous adventures in Willy Wonka's miraculous chocolate factory, where he sees strawberry-juice water pistols, luminous lollipops, a chocolate river, and rainbow drops -- and has the...more
Audio Cassette, Unabridged, 4 pages
Published October 22nd 2002 by HarperFestival (first published January 1st 1964)

Patrick
Tonight I just finished reading Charlie and the Chocolate factory with my son. This is the first chapter book I've read all the way through with him. And it was a ton of fun.

First off, I'll admit that I love the movie. I grew up with it. (I'm talking about the Gene Wilder version, of course.)I'll even admit to liking the movie better than the book. Which is something that doesn't happen very often with me.

That said, the book is really, really good. It held my four-year old's attention. It's si...more
Grace Tjan
Jess, my 7 year old little girl, gives it 5 stars.

Comments while reading:

“How come someone is called ‘Gloop’? And ‘Salt’? Isn’t that the thing that we use for cooking?”

“What is ‘spoiled’? Oh, okay, I’m NOT spoiled.”

“Huh, Grandpa Joe is 96 years old?! How come that he’s even older than my grandpa?”

“How come Charlie’s dad can’t work at the toothpaste factory anymore? What does ‘bankrupt’ mean?”

“Will Charlie ever get the golden ticket?”

“Yes! Charlie found it!”

“Mr. Wonka looks like a clown!”

“How com...more
Jason Koivu
I was ten years old and already the magic was gone from the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, leprechauns, Santa Claus and his buddy the Krampus. All was stripped of its power to enthrall. Heck, even sex had been demystified years prior.

Then along came Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It gloried in candy, my number one passion of the day. But not only that, eating candy was the means to getting even MORE candy!

description

Ah, the golden ticket. How, oh, how I longed for it to be a real thing! I would've tr...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
If you ever want to cheer yourself up, go back and read a book you loved and read over and over as a child. For me, this is one book that will always be better than any movie they make from it. Nothing Hollywood does with special effects will ever be as magical as what Roald Dahl did with just plain old words.

It has been MANY long years since I last looked at this book, but it all came back to me as soon as I turned to the first page and saw the illustrations. I was immediately carried away by...more
midnightfaerie
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl is an obvious classic in my book. Besides the fact its been around for awhile already, it definitely has that magic factor that pulls you in. Anyone with even a remnant left of their kid's heart in them, will love this book. I believe this story, not the book, but at least the story has a huge following, due in part to the movie starring Gene Wilder. I love Johnny Depp, but he lacks the whimsical weirdness of the previous Wonka and is just weird. H...more
Manny
Since the Swiss make the best chocolate figures in the world, I thought I would pick up a few to take with me to England. I was originally only intending to buy a couple of chocolate rabbits, engagingly goofy-looking with big buck teeth and natty bow-ties, but the selection was so enticing that I eventually walked out with four rabbits, a chicken with a marzipan waistcoat and a chocolate chalet. I explained to the nice assistant that they would be accompanying me to London later that day, and sh...more
Ariel
THIS WAS GREAT! I've never read any Roald Dahl before, but of course I've heard of the legend and so when I was assigned to read this for my Children's Lit class I was super pumped. And best of all, I enjoyed it! There's always the fear that books won't live up to the hype, but I think this did.

I loved Charlie and his Grandpa as the main protagonists: they were humble, and sweet, and smart. I loved Willy Wonka: he was energetic and excited and brilliant and sarcastic as all hell. And I loved how...more
Jan-Maat
Slightly odd story of virtuous poverty rewarded by evil capitalist who caused the poverty by firing all his workers in favour of employing non-human immigrants.

Unemployment from the chocolate factory, apparently the only consumer of labour in the otherwise stagnant economy of Charlie's home town, (proving I suppose that an excess of chocolate is really bad for you both economically and physically) requires that all of his grandparents have to live and sleep in one bed while the family slowly sta...more
Cary
Finally, Im done reading this book. Ive been wanting to read this ever since I learned that the movie of the same title was based on this book. ANother reason why I want to read this is because it is also included in the BBC big list along with another Children's Classic, Charlotte's Web which was also adapted into a movie.

The story is about the adventure of Charlie Bucket and four other children who won the Golden Ticket and was given the privilege to spend a day inside the largest chocolate fa...more
Jonathan

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one of those books in the English dominated world that you've either read it as a child or you saw a film version. Re-reading it for my university course I was struck by how, despite the simplistic prose I could still see and capture the spirit of what Roald Dahl created. As a result I think I could add this to a list of the modern fairy tales for the 20th Century and beyond. Think about it: it's a rags-to-riches story aimed at children where an impoverished...more
Maria
I recommend Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

*****

Yay, that was fun! I didn't expect to like this book, but it was entertaining, really. I love Grandpa Joe and that's a fact. =)

Charlie's family is poor. They are usually cold and hungry. Imagine his delight when he got a golden ticket to enter Willy Wonka's chocolate factory! *me looking for something chocolatey to munch on while reviewing*

I haven't finished the movie adaptation starring Johnny Depp. Was it the same with the book? I read Charlie...more
Meem
Queer but quirky.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was perfect for me when I was little. But when I read it again a few years later, from an eerie blend of wistfulness and caffeine...I became aware of a few things that the child me hadn't really deigned to perceive.

1. Food fetish Alert. (It's becoming a cliche for this genre. Like eyes in chick lit.)

2. What's with the sexism? Has anyone else noticed how Dahl always make the fathers have a certain dry, witty sense of humor that is clearly lackin...more
Frederick
Aug 29, 2007 Frederick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People of all ages, but only if they see a virtue in laughter.
Shelves: roald
My second-grade teacher read this aloud to the class five years after this novel was published. She held up the book to show us the great line drawings as she read. I'm not sure if current editions have those particular line drawings, but there was lots of cross-hatching in the drawings. [These drawings were by Joseph Schindelman, and most current editions do NOT feature these. They've replaced them with drawings by another artist -- Fred's note, 8/29/07.] Tim Burton's movie reflected the drawin...more
Anastasia
Se La fabbrica di cioccolato fosse un essere umano in carne ed ossa.

Questo libro sarebbe..una di quelle maestrine del volto angelico e irradiante di bontà, ma già pronte con la bacchetta abilmente nascosta dietro la schiena, pronte a passare per i banchi a battere mani su mani al bambino maleducato di turno: via quella gomma! troppe gomme!, e tu, poi, sei troppo viziata! (naturalmente sempre con un'aria molto giovale e compunta, però parte il colpo e fa un male cane e tu la guardi allontanarsi s...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I'm sure by now everyone knows the story: Charlie Bucket lives with his parents and his four extremely aged grandparents in a tiny shack not far from Willy Wonka's famous chocolate factory, barely managing to survive on cabbage soup. After years of secrecy and reclusiveness, Mr Wonka announces that in five ordinary chocolate bars are five golden tickets, and the five children who find the golden tickets will be allowed inside the factory for a tour.

Augustus Gloop, an obscenely fat boy, wins the...more
notgettingenough
I can't even review the movie of this, having fallen soundly asleep during it twice and that was the Johnny Depp version.

But does it have enough sex in it? Maybe that's the problem....Maybe it needs one of these:

Chocolate Dress model

Can't you just picture Depp eagerly watching this? Wouldn't it be kind of sexy watching that thing melt? I honestly think waiting for the moment would keep me awake.

(It is from the Zurich chocolate fair. The Swiss are nothing if not politically incorrect. But at least she looks like sh...more
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 30, 2009 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Jillian Joy; 501 Must Read Books
Shelves: childrens, 501
Well-told story for children. This is the first book my daughter read from cover to cover when she was 8 years old. She said that this is good so I made this as my first book for December 2009.

Coming from my recent US trip mid of this month, I brought home some chocolates that we are slowly consuming up to now. I had a number of Reese's and Snicker's while reading this book today and when I got to the page where the Willy Wonka's chocolate factory is being deliciously described, I thought I coul...more
Valerie
I'm reading this to my daughter for the first time, and I'm remembering how much I love this book. The way it's written is just so engaging - even something like this paragraph describing the family's poverty just sucks you right in:

Mr. Bucket was the only person in the family with a job. He worked in a toothpaste factory, where he sat all day long at a bench and screwed the little caps onto the tops of the tubes of toothpaste after the tubes had been filled. But a toothpaste cap-screwer is neve...more
Justine
It's kind of sad that I read this book and the entire time I was comparing it to both (wonderful) movies. Charlie Bucket is one of the best Dahl children and Dahl proves himself to be a moralist of the most satisfying kind. In Charlie and the Chocolate factory, comeuppance and just desserts are dished out with relish and the poor hungry kid wins out in the end. A couple observations.

~Dahl does not pull any punches with the sad, poor kid. There's actually a chapter titled "Charlie begins to starv...more
Nikki
Roald Dahl was one of my favourite writers as a kid. I'm Matilda on our dish rota this week (every week we have different names on our rota, in themes: one week I was John Watson in our Sherlock week; another time I was Simon Tam in our Firefly week; in our awesome women of sci-fi week I got to be Mass Effect's Jane Shepherd!). So, thinking about the Roald Dahl classics I loved so much, I remembered I didn't get round to rereading this.

It's evil and grotesque and over the top and so funny. (I ha...more
Angelli
Por: Angelli Fernández

Hola mi nombre es Angelli Fernández y este libro se llama CHARLIE Y LA FABRICA DE CHOCOLATE Por: Roald Dahl. Era una mañana y Charlie vino del colegio y su mama le dijo “hoy es martes y tu tiene que ir a visitar tu amiga suya en los ojos de saltones.” Después que Charlie fue a visitar su amiga suya su mama y su papa le dieron dinero para buscar un tique en un chocolate para ir a la fábrica de mr. Willi wanka. Pero cuando el fue a compro un chocolate el tique no estaba hay...more
Amalie
I've heard Dahl as a young boy used to fantasize about working in the lab where these chocolates were invented. While he was daydreaming I remember having nightmares about falling into the waterfall Wonka's factory, yep I'm allergic to chocolate.

I haven't read any other Roald Dahl books other than this and Matilda the child genius who has horrible parents. Some adults/teachers don't like Dahl's books because Dahl encourages disrespect for authority and adults well so does Peter Pan.

I however li...more
Monique

Original post here.

My feelings towards this book were lukewarm, that is to say, I didn't hate it, but I wasn't also particularly raving about it. To be more candid, I wouldn't have picked this book up if it didn't win the polls for the December face-to-face discussion of the book club.

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory is about, well, little Charlie Bucket and a chocolate factory owned by the creepy and weird Willy Wonka. Charlie's family is destitute as destitute can be, and poor little Charlie...more
Stephanie Sykes
I enjoyed “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” by Roald Dahl. Mr. Wonka was the owner of a popular chocolate factory. He decided to let five kids in to his factory to let them see how it all works. Charlie found some money on the side of the road and went to go buy a chocolate bar and he got a golden ticket. Charlie bought his grandpa with him to the factory. Charlie and his family win the chocolate factory at the end of the book.

This story is told in first person. The main characters in this st...more
Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)
A group of greedy brats who are famous only for being lucky consumers get a free tour of a fashion-challenged madman's candy factory run by imported slave labor and naturally select themselves out of existence (not really), leaving only one half-starved child to win the prize of a CEO position and chocolate for life.

A classic.
Salymar
Growing up, my favorite book was, most likely, "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory". Roald Dahl's magical tale of a young boy's adventure in the strange factory was spell-binding. In fact I call this book as a deliciously beautiful book back in my elementary days! Haha! This is totally a page-turner! ;)

There are lots of lessons to be learned in the story and it was delivered uniquely through each character we meet.
The story started with a humble poor boy named Charlie Bucket. He loves his fami...more
Christina
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was marvellously magical! The book reeled me in on the very first page! The story was so wacky and so loony, embodied in Willy Wonka and his Oompa Loompas, and I loved every single second of it! Charlie's family were so endearing and loveable, especially his 96 and a half year old Grandpa Joe who jumped out of bed, after 20 years in it, and started yippee-ing, when Charlie found the last Golden Ticket! It was golly fantastic!

The Oompa Loompa's song were full of...more
J Omar Vidrio
Un libro hermoso, alocado y divertido. Una de las mejores novelas infantiles que he leído en mi vida. Tim Burton ha logrado con su adaptación cinematográfica hacer un gran tributo al autor, además de darle su toque aderezando la historia de una increíble manera.
Lisa
I wish I had found the golden ticket
Paul Eckert
In junior high and high school, if the teachers didn’t feel like teaching, this was the go-to movie to show the class. I’ve seen the movie so many times that I was sick of the story.

But it’s been awhile since I’ve seen the movie, and coupled with my newfound love of Roald Dahl’s writing, I figured it was time to read (or in this case, listen) to the book.

The book is a delight, as I expected. It’s a testament to how good the book is when the movie copies almost everything from the original story...more
New Book Cover 7 16 Sep 13, 2014 12:06AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 6 - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 1 8 Sep 03, 2014 12:18PM
Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp? 152 663 Aug 22, 2014 06:25AM
Charlie and the Chocoate Factory 22 64 Aug 19, 2014 06:26PM
Children's Books: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 7 18 May 25, 2014 12:29PM
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 7 36 May 11, 2014 05:26PM
  • Jip en Janneke
  • Pippi Longstocking
  • Adventures of the Wishing Chair (Classics Series)
  • Sideways Stories From Wayside School (Wayside School #1)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona Quimby #7)
  • Three Tales of My Father's Dragon
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
  • The Trumpet of the Swan
  • Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2)
  • The Story of Tracy Beaker
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a...more
More about Roald Dahl...
Matilda James and the Giant Peach The BFG The Witches The Twits

“Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called canibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies.” 819 likes
“Mr. Wonka: "Don’t forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted."
Charlie Bucket: "What happened?"
Mr. Wonka: "He lived happily ever after.”
382 likes