Your Screenplay Sucks!: 100 Ways to Make It Great

Your Screenplay Sucks!: 100 Ways to Make It Great

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A lifetime member of the Writer's Guild of America who has had three feature films produced from his screenplays, Akers offers beginning writers the tools they need to get their screenplay noticed.
Published November 1st 2011 by Michael Wiese Productions (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Your Screenplay Sucks!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Screenplay Sucks!

Loni
Abrasive title, but awesome book. If you're interested in writing or selling a screenplay, this book really is a must have. He tells you how to transform and beat your script into shape as well as letting you in on some of the little trade secrets to help you look like you're not a novice. It's also just a fun read, he's very conversational. The only down-side to it is because he is so open, he makes you really understand how difficult it is to break it into the Hollywood industry. So for any as...more
Amy
Your Screenplay Sucks - it's true. And here are 100 practical things you can do to fix it. Learn how to brainstorm, take apart, reassemble, and examine each of your characters one by one. There are other books to tell you about formatting and structure - this is the one to read to learn more about voice and great story. Don't be intimidated by the title. It will have you itching to hammer out a rough draft so you have text to play around with.
Clara Mazzi
William Akers says the very same things as Blake Snyder but in a far less nice way. "Your Screenplay Sucks" is a kind of a bad copy of Save The Cat. It's useful and right but Mr Akers likes boasting around his (small) success, loves to mark a clear difference between him and "us, the readers, the amateurs, the non-successful" at such an extent that he finishes his book recommending to consider to drop writing. Thought highly contradictory hence confusing, he keeps insisting on clarity and rigor...more
Jesse Richards
This book was excellent, except for two caveats. One was the overemphasis on humility; he kept stressing the point that aspiring writers shouldn't be full of themselves. He did this by constantly insulting the reader. I fully agree with his point, but it was tiresome to read over and over. I got it the first time.

The other problem was the formatting ... he used lots of excerpts, which was great, but they were set in the same font as the regular text. So, at times it was hard to tell whether the...more
Nic
I feel like I've just been kicked so royally hard in the balls. This book blew me away. The last two chapters left something to be desired as I feel like Akers got on the highest of high horses, but the final 6 pages are literally highlighted from the top to the bottom.
Why do you write? Honestly why?
It's because YOU MUST.
And that's true of me. So fu**ing true it isn't even funny.
Tons of great tips, I would recommend this to any screenwriter who needs to be slapped with a hand that's been sitting...more
Troy Santel
I mistakenly went to Hollywood and pitched my script without reading this book. I thought my script was pretty good until I read this book - no wonder why I never got a call back. As I read through this book, I started to get embarrassed thinking what those Hollywood execs must have thought of my script. I imagined it was passed around as a comedic email chain to all the execs and accomplished screenwriters - at least it found a way to be entertaining.

No seriously. This book was highly insightfu...more
Debbie Emory
Not just for screenwriters. Writing a fiction novel? Buy this book. Writing a non-fiction novel? Buy this book. The 100 ways checklist shined a light on the holes in my work-in-progress fiction novel. It gave me tons of ideas of (to borrow from the book’s title) “how to make it great”, plus Akers is hysterical so the points will stick with you. I had to keep stoping to jot down ideas it gave me of things to add / change / improve / delete. This book gets an A+ for stirring the creative mind whil...more
Alexa
I've heard a lot of similar advice, but this book was organized in a way that resonated with me. While it points out what someone might be doing wrong in the writing of a screenplay, it gives very helpful suggestions.

I recommend any screenwriter trying to launch their career to read this book. Chances are you'll find a tip that will unlock a part of the process of screenwriting that was previously unknown to you. It did for me.

Writers must persevere! And use their spell check!
Joanna
This is my screenwriting bible! It is always on hand whenever I am writing or rewriting a screenplay at any given time. A wonderful companion to help you through the trouble times, at whatever stage you are writing.
Jason Hough
Runs the gamut of screenplay writing tips: from your story and characters all the way to what kind of chads you should use to bind your finished masterpiece.

I probably enjoyed the second half the most, which covered revisions. He includes lots of before-and-after examples, and explains why the changes were made. Many of the examples are his own work.

I will keep this on my shelf next to Denny Flynn's "How NOT to Write a Screenplay".
Brendan Nicholls
The book might not have everything but it isolates common errors and is easy to have sitting next to you. The rewriting was easily the most beneficial part of it for me.
L R Davis
This laugh out loud funny treatise on the various mistakes made by novice screenwriters is a must for any screenwriter to put all in perspective.

Worthwhile investment in a writer's library. Good checklist for the details to be adhered to by someone who wants to have a screenplay read by someone who might produce it. Or if you want a laugh at the peculiarities of the business.

Bluesy
An very good book on writing... but an excellent book on rewriting. Not just for beginners, this book is a good reminder to anyone who writes screenplays of what's important and, more importantly, what isn't.
Petra Kruijt
A fast read, full of amazing insights not only for screenwriters, but for any type of writer. If you want to know how to make your writing better, this book gives everything you need.
J.D.
I love this book. I frequently leaf through it when I need a break from outlining or editing. It has a lot of good tips in it, and it's a fun way to improve your writing!
Mary Ann
I'd like to say it was such a good book, I couldn't put it down. But this would be untrue. I put it down many times in order to fix my screenplay.
Courtney Sheets
Extremely helpful. A little tough love which is needed many times in a writing career. A must for any aspiring writer.
Nick Livanos
A really good book for re-writing your screenplay. But I'm sick of "100 ways" to do anything.
Jazz Virk
Best book to check off 100 important points for your creative writing. Script saver.
Therese Gilardi
a lot of practical advice, you have to love his seven (sixteen) deadly sins.
Nicky
Funny and informative with good examples from movies you've actually seen.
Edie
THE best 'writing' book I have read.
Ahmed Ashraf
Ahmed Ashraf marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Vida.robb
Vida.robb marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Ahmed Ellaithy
Ahmed Ellaithy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Lucy Hay
Lucy Hay marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
  • Save the Cat! Strikes Back: More Trouble for Screenwriters to Get Into... and Out of
  • Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting and Selling Your Script
  • The Visual Story: Creating the Visual Structure of Film, TV and Digital Media
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • The 101 Habits of Highly Successful Screenwriters: Insiders Secrets from Hollywood's Top Writers
  • The Screenwriter's Workbook
  • Cinematic Storytelling
  • Moviemakers' Master Class: Private Lessons from the World's Foremost Directors
  • The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller
  • Making Movies
  • On Filmmaking: An Introduction to the Craft of the Director
  • The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers
  • Screenwriting for Dummies
  • Rock Your Plot: A Simple System for Plotting Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #1)
  • Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • Story: Style, Structure, Substance, and the Principles of Screenwriting
  • How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make

“Structure 19. You worried about structure when you came up with your story! If you did, I’m sorry. You missed some of the most joyous moments in writing. Character and story come first. Before anything. Certainly before all that Act One, Two, and Three crapola. When you’re teasing out your story, make lots of notes. Think out loud. Talk to a tape recorder. Make more notes. Fill up oceans of 3x5 cards. Write on yellow legal pads. Write on white legal pads. Scribble on napkins or beer coasters. Write down cool stuff for characters to do that may never find its way into the movie. Make notes and more notes and more notes, but do not trouble yourself with structure. Screw structure. Have fun. Structure is for later. For now, just let your incredibly creative mind run free. Make notes about character and plot and story and funny moments and locations you’d like to visit. Tape record dialogue for your” 0 likes