Start by marking “Tales from a Broad: An Unreliable Memoir” as Want to Read:
Tales from a Broad: An Unreliable Memoir

Tales from a Broad: An Unreliable Memoir

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
When a frazzled New Yorker who is mad, bad and dangerous to know lands in Asia, life is never quite the same again - for anyone ... Fran Lebowitz cheerfully admits that she is intergalactically self-absorbed, a little crazy and really, really hard to please - just ask her eternally patient and bemused husband, Frank. But when her life in the fast land falls apart - again - ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Monsoon Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tales from a Broad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from a Broad

Koen Kop
Oct 07, 2014 Koen Kop rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Moderately well-written. Funny here and there. Amazing: you get a once-in-a-lifetime chance to spend an extensive period of time in the most successful country of the past half century, yet you manage to learn nothing about it - this is a writer with a very superficial mind, only interested in food, sex and the latter's produce (the kids). Found this book on the table with new acquisitions in a Berlin library about a year ago - liked the title and the illustration -read it through, completely - ...more
Melina O.
Oct 31, 2013 Melina O. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a whole year to read this and I wanted to finish it because I just couldn't let this go unread not because it was good but because I promised myself that I would finish it even if I struggled through it.

I heard of Fran Lebowitz through a documentary made about her by, I think, Scorcese. She seemed so smart, so New York, so interesting that I always wanted to read something by her and I picked this.

I wasn't a fan of the book. The titular character, Fran (who I think is her, which i gue
Bonnie
Nov 04, 2015 Bonnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm, I thought this book was by THE Fran lebowitz but apparently not. This book is vapid, superficial and silly. Poor rich woman gets to fly first class to Singapore, oh poor lady. And sitting by the pool at a luxury hotel, how does she stand it. And she has to take care of her own children part of the time, horrors. And plenty of money for baby sitters and booze, unbearable. Sorry I can't relate at all and it wasn't funny.
Elka
Aug 24, 2015 Elka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oops! I thought this was by THE Fran Lebowitz. I realized my mistake pretty quickly, but I kept going. I waded through the drunken exploits of a bunch of overgrown children living in Singapore. No plot, no character growth, just hints of interesting developments that never turn into anything. Much like the characters in this book. You may have the occasional chuckle, but it's not worth it.
Libbie Buchele
Jun 25, 2016 Libbie Buchele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful. I wanted to stop about halfway through, but kept hoping it would redeem itself. The woman is self-centered and she and her friends are culturally insensitive and sound just like turn of the century British colonists in terms of their attitudes towards other cultures. Some kind of end of book enlightenment might have saved it, but it was awful until the end.
Emily
Jul 03, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I love when I pick up a book from an author I don't know and am blown away. Coming of age isn't just for teens anymore.
Lindsay green
Fran Lebowitz, a famous (or so she claims) literary agent in New York, whines to her husband (a music copyright lawyer) about being burnt out. So the dutiful husband takes her and their 2 kids along to Singapore, when he gets sent there by his boss for a long business trip
Jenny Tornado
Jan 02, 2012 Jenny Tornado rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I own it and reread it whenever I need a good laugh. Her wit and description make the book personal and I can imagine a night out on the town with her crew.
Cadmium Candy
not exactly a work of literary genius, but quite pleasant light reading.
Abby
Aug 27, 2008 Abby marked it as started-notfinished  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't what I was looking for. May revisit at another time.
Gina
Mar 31, 2015 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny in a snarky way. Largely unlivable main character.
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Miss
Miss marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Natalie Matos
Natalie Matos marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Flickah
Flickah rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Rachel Weis
Rachel Weis marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Daniel Satizabal
Daniel Satizabal marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Priscilla Stone
Priscilla Stone marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Katrice Dustin
Katrice Dustin marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Caroline Mason
Caroline Mason marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Nct Blog
Nct Blog marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Katie Macdonald
Katie Macdonald marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Sanita Siliņa
Sanita Siliņa is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2016
Kalli Meisler
Kalli Meisler marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Samaresse
Samaresse rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2016
Rael Siim
Rael Siim marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Will Harahan
Will Harahan marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Jbebersole
Jbebersole marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Social Studies
  • Foreign Bodies
  • Killer Summer
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Volume 1: The Lost Memory
  • Far Eastern Tales
  • A Different Sky
  • Calm, Cool & Adjusted (Spa Girls, #3)
  • Million Dollar Baby (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #1)
  • The Italian Wedding
  • Tanamera
  • Notes From An Even Smaller Island
  • Dating Your Mom
  • Teenage Textbook
  • Haircut and Other Stories
  • Best of S J Perelman
  • Romance Novel
  • A Plague of Caterpillars (The Innocent Anthropologist #2)
  • The Daddy Mountain
Fran Lebowitz was a New York literary agent with Writers House for twelve years, including three years from a remote office in Singapore. During this time, she represented three New York Times bestsellers and two National Book Award finalists and a few pop stars.

She also represented New Line and Fine Line, creating books to complement their products, ie, an Austin Powers guide to life book, a Fre
More about Fran Lebowitz...