Dust & Decay (Benny Imura, #2)

Dust & Decay (Benny Imura #2)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  8,920 ratings  ·  1,013 reviews
Six months have passed since the terrifying battle with Charlie Pink-eye and the Motor City Hammer in the zombie-infested mountains of the Rot & Ruin. It's also six months since Benny Imura and Nix Riley saw something in the air that changed their lives. Now, after months of rigorous training with Benny's zombie-hunter brother Tom, Benny and Nix are ready to leave thei...more
Audio CD
Published 2011 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about Dust & Decay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dust & Decay

Lou
'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' that’s how I describe this story it all unfolds like a Wild West Battle.
The GOOD is Tom Imura and his band of warriors Benny, Nix, Lilath and Chong.
THE BAD is White Bear and other bad zombie hunters.
THE UGLY of course are the Zoms (zombies).

I have said it before Jonathan Maberry is really a masterful storyteller packing a punch across genres. Genre for genre a pound for pound a heavyweight contender for book awards. He has really knitted together a thrill ride o...more
Trudi
MABERRY, YOU BASTARD!!! I knew you would do this to me!! ::sobbity sob::

Review to follow when anger and choking tears subside.

In the first book Rot & Ruin, Maberry spends a lot of time putting us into the world as it exists almost 15 years after a zombie apocalypse. We need to know about how things are now, how people live and how they relate to one another. This is Benny's world. Maberry also spends a lot of time and care developing a cast of characters he wants us to fall in love with befo...more
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Apr 27, 2013 Carol. [All cynic, all the time] rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: zombie fans, young adult UF readers
Recommended to Carol. [All cynic, all the time] by: Trudi
The second installment of the Benny Imura series delivers action, mysteries, and oodles of character growth. Oh, and at least two thousand and fifty-nine zombies. And a pair of rad surfer dudes, for anyone over 30 who might happen to be reading.

Benny and his friends have returned to their fortified hometown, training with Benny's brother Tom in preparation for the journey east. A week before they are supposed to leave town forever, plans are interrupted by neighbor grandpa dying in his sleep. As...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Steadily trying to catch up on all my reviews. La di da! So, sorry this review has taken me like a week or however long it's been. I don't keep track of time during the summer, sooo ... Whatever. *Checks* Oh, I finished this on August 4th. And now it's August 12th. Okay, so a little more than a week. Not that anyone cares. MOVING ON.

I'll keep this pretty brief because 1) I have a bunch of reviews left to write, and 2) I've already talked a lot about why I love these books in my review of the fir...more
AH
Dust & Decay picks up seven months after the events of Rot & Ruin. Our young heroes – Benny, Nix, Lilah, and Chong have been training with Benny’s big brother Tommy. They learn his “Warrior Smart” method of protecting themselves from the zombies because you never know when one of your friends or loved ones will become a zombie…

This is a brutal world. People live in fenced, gated, and well armed communities. Travel outside these towns requires planning, heavy carpet coats, and a disgustin...more
Jason
5 Stars

“There is no God,” whispered the old man. “There’s just the devil and me and the Rot and Ruin.”

I am a biased reviewer and a huge fan of Jonathan Maberry, so to give this book less than 5 stars would not be fair to the overall feelings I have for this book and for this series. Maberry is a master at creating larger than life tough as nails adult heroes like Joe Ledger and Malcolm Crow, but in this series, it is the young adults, the hardly more than children, that are the heroes. Clearly w...more
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
This book is way more action packed than the first book in this series Rot and Ruin. Lots of zombie action going on and something weird is starting to go on with the Zom's. They are beginning to act and react differently than in the first book.

You still have some of the teenage angst that the first one had but it didn't bother me as much as it did in the first one. I guess because well I was kinda fangirling on Tom Imura's character.
Picture Glenn from the Walking Dead a thousand times cooler.

Y...more
~Tina~
(4.5 stars)

no No NOOOOOOOO!! Dame It ! ! ! ~cries~

Dust & Decay is such a sensational sequel. This series is the best Zombie books I've ever read.
Action packed, heartbreaking and heart-lifting. Loved it!!!

We're getting more, right?

(Arc provided by S&S Galleygrab)
Regina
This book was amazing!! What a flipping ride. I loved it. Loved it. I can't believe I picked up the first in this series on a whim and by a recommendation only. I feel like this series should have been on my radar long before.

The narration of both Rot & Ruin and Dust & Decay is very well done; so good that I had a hard time pausing the audio to live my life (get work done, be a parent, talk to my boss, etc. etc.)

Dust & Decay starts off slowly and at some points, Tom Immura's philos...more
Lou
The GOOD is Tom Imura and his band of warriors Benny, Nix, Lilath and Chong.
THE BAD is White Bear and other bad zombie hunters.
THE UGLY of course are the Zoms (zombies).
I absolutely loved Rot & Ruin. It was an astounding zombie YA series starter, with just the right mix of the horrors that men can do verses the zombie carnage. There was a thought-provoking focus on the fact that zombies used to be people, and therefore they should be respected for what they were as well as feared for what they now are - something a lot of zombie stories fail to take into account.

Dust & Decay keeps the theme in the same general vein, but having already established that...more
Jo Anne B
I can't help but feel insulted by this book. I know it is young adult and I should probably not think too much about it since it is meant for a younger brain but I can't help it. This was just the ending of the first book, not a different one. I feel that Maberry took a cheap shot here or a cop out and maybe for the sake of drawing out the series longer to make more money.

I was expecting some new adventures not going back to Gameland to rescue some pesky teenager again. I didn't believe that Tom...more
Marita Hansen
4 1/2 Stars.

[image error]

As far as I remember, the first of this series is being turned into a film, and hopefully this one as well, which I think is fan-frigging-tastic. As with the first book, this was a gripping read. We have the Imuras, Benny (the main character), Tom (his older sumari sword wielding brother), Nix (Benny's girlfriend), Lilah (the legendary Lost Girl) and Chong (his best friend) going on an adventure, all but Chong leaving town for good. Well, that was the plan! But what they...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Benny made it back from the Rot & Ruin only to start training with his brother, Tom, to leave again. After seeing the airplane fly over, Benny, Nix, Lilah, and Tom have been anxious to find out where it was going. Could there be civilization beyond the Rot & Ruin?

Every day, Tom trains Benny, Nix, Lilah, and Chong. He prepares them to fight the Zoms they are sure to encounter on their long trek across the dangerous country.

Everyone has diffe...more
Jenny

I am so happy to tell you that I love the sequel better than the first book! Dust and Decay is all about Tom taking Benny, Nix, Lilah, and Chong out to the Ruin to find out what the jet was they find in the first book.

But Tom hasn't been outside of town for months now, and things have changed for the worse in the Ruin. The group is separated and each battling their own demons. Gameland is still alive and well, and there's word that White Bear has taken over, and become more ruthless.

Th...more
Joey
Probably closer to a 3 1/2. I didn't like it as nearly as much as the first one. It seemed to be about feelings and emotions more than apocalyptic zombies which is what I wanted to read about. But the story wasn't written for me, so the teenage love story I endured so I could get my zombie killing fix. The first book had it's love story also, but this time it seemed even more overwhelming than before. The story also felt somewhat condescending to me. I don't know if it was because of it's more...more
Alondra
Jan 06, 2013 Alondra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: books-i-own
I think 4.25 - 4.5 Stars and a big Wow!

I am still sniffling like a whuss. What an ending but not the end.

The Dust and Decay consumes, it eats, it tortures and blinds us to what is real and true. There are things worse than zombies. There are men. The dust and decay...it twists men's minds and turns them into inhuman beings that know nothing beyond their own survival.

The world as we know it is lost. How do you find it when everything you ever knew and loved is gone. Can you start new? Can you l...more
Daniel Koh
This was a great book about post-apocalypse adventure. It had a ton of heart-pumping, adrenaline rushing moments. I definitely recommend this book to anybody that likes zombies, action, and adventure books.
Dana

Forget the walking dead, this is where first class zombie action is at! My heart was pounding through the whole book! I usually prefer a single, first person narrative as opposed to several third person narratives(especially in YA novels) but Jonathan Maberry's writing won me over.

It reminded me of an awesome action/ adventure TV show where the movement from one scene to another is flawless. The pacing was great and I was eagerly awaiting the continuation of each characters story, even from char...more
Jodi Papazian
Here is the very quick, non-spoiler-y review. Dust & Decay was a fabulous follow-up to Rot & Ruin. Sometimes sequels don't live up to the fabulousness of the first book, but this one definitely did. It was full of edge-of-your-seat action and had great, gory details - perfect for a Zom book! This is such an easy sell to tween and teen boys. I have had so many in here begging for this book after devouring Rot & Ruin. Girls will enjoy the book as well.

OK, now I am going to get spoiler...more
Mark Wilson
Jul 28, 2012 Mark Wilson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Mark by: Kyle Scott
Engaging, human, exciting, character-driven, beautifully written. Fine work sir.
The author exposes the fragility of human decency and the simplicity and ease with which people may sink to the depths of evil wonderfully.

Throughout these books Mr Maberry develops his characters in a wonderfully human and believable way, despite the unreal setting and extraordinary trials they face. The obvious villains he presents us with in Charlie pinke-eye's brood are just the rotten, public face of the "ordin...more
R.S. Carter
At one point, it reminded me of this, but for kids:

Maberry takes a giant leap from the first book and steps up the violence, horror and gore by 500%. The first book was quite tame by comparison. This one will have you shivering under your sheets when the lights go out.

The entire last section of the book was action-packed. It was fierce and bloody. And there was some parts that were straight out of a nightmare. **cough**Charlie**cough**

The somewhat familiar 'final' zombie-from-hell in studded le...more
A Well Read Woman (April)
Dust and Decay is the second book by Jonathan Maberry in the Benny Imura adventure series. However, it does work as a stand alone, as I did not read the story before this one and was able to jump right into it.

First of all, wow, what a book! I absolutely loved it! Even though the main character is a teenage kid, I could relate to him. The author is just that GOOD. If you are interested in zombies, romance, warriors, non-stop action, and good against evil; you will LOVE this story.

The dead have...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.5 Stars

“Courage is tricky, oily. Easy to drop, easy to misplace."
"I thought that if you had courage you always had it.". . .
"Lilah, nothing is always there. Not courage, not joy, not hate or hope or anything else. We find courage, lose it, sometimes misplace it for years, and sometimes live in its grace for a while.”

That seems to be the theme of this book. At some point and time everyone is human, loses their resolve and needs a little help to find the courage to move forward and to fight.

Du...more
Lauren
I LOVED this book! It keeps you constantly on the edge of your seat and it's a page turner! I loved the huge character developments of all the kids and the new relationship between the Imura brothers!
Benny is now much more mature and smart! He's a lot like his brother Tom! He makes a lot of tough, well thought out, "warior smart" decisions in this book that I was realllly happy about!
I also loved Lilah's, "Lost Girl", character development from the first book and throughout this second one!
It's...more
Julie Graves
For 7 months Tom has been training Benny, Lilah, Nix, and Chong how to survive in the Rot & Ruin. Preparing them for their trek east in search of the jet they all saw fly over them months before. Nix cannot wait to leave all of her memories behind. Lilah cannot wait to feel freedom outside of the fences. Chong is only going for an overnight camping trip to further his training and of course to be with Lilah for a little while longer.

Once in the Rot & Ruin though things do not go the way...more
Janie Johnson
I was glad that I finally got to read this installment of the Benny Imura series. It was nice to revisit Tom. Benny, Nix, & Lilah. Add Chong to the mix along with some super villains and you have a great story with some pretty amazing characters.

I love Maberry's writing style, It is so fluid, fun, easy to understand and very vivid. The plot, premise, and characters really come to life. I love apocalyptic stories and here Maberry throws in some zombies and some cold blooded villains that come...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* YA Dystopian
*Rating* 5 Star Seal of Approval

*Review*

When last we saw Benny Imura, his older brother Tom, Lilah, the so called lost girl, and Nix Riley, they had just witnessed a jet flying overhead and then heading back towards the east where nobody is supposed to be alive. Thus why it is called Rot & Ruin. This has been a puzzle that has been on everyone’s mind since.

Now, seven months later, Tom has started an intensive training routine to get them ready for anything, including his...more
Cindy
It is kinda rare for me to give a YA book five stars, but this book was awesome. I liked it better than the first except (view spoiler). The book was engaging throughout with lots of action and the characters were unique and had lots of personality, good or bad. Really looking forward to the next book.
Creepy!: Dust & Decay 1 1 May 31, 2014 11:06AM
Tom Imura (do not read if you have not read the book yet) 35 138 May 21, 2014 02:52PM
How can Tom DIE so EASILY!!! 7 39 Feb 26, 2014 11:55AM
David Estes Fans ...: Dust & Decay Buddy Read! 52 29 Jun 24, 2013 10:43AM
  • Siege  (As The World Dies, #3)
  • The Dead (The Enemy #2)
  • The Infection
  • Sadie Walker is Stranded (Zombie, #2)
  • Rise Again (Rise Again #1)
  • Undead (Undead, #1)
  • Eat Slay Love (Living With the Dead, #3)
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Autumn: Aftermath (Autumn, #5)
  • Domain of the Dead
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.1)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • Thunder and Ashes
  • Dying to Live: Life Sentence (Dying to Live, #2)
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD...more
More about Jonathan Maberry...
Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3) The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2) The King of Plagues (Joe Ledger, #3)

“No matter what choice you make, it doesn't define you. Not forever. People can make bad choices and change their minds and hearts and do good things later; just as people can make good choices and then turn around and walk a bad path. No choice we make lasts our whole life. If there's ever a choice you've made that you no longer agree with, you can make another choice.” 68 likes
“Sometimes people say terrible things when they're scared. They don't mean to, but they can't help it. They lash out because if they can see that their words hurt someone else, it makes them feel as if they aren't completely powerless.” 48 likes