Start by marking “WarCraft Archive (WarCraft, #1-3 & Of Blood and Honor)” as Want to Read:
WarCraft Archive (WarCraft, #1-3 & Of Blood and Honor)

WarCraft Archive (WarCraft #1-4)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,124 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
In the mist-shrouded haze of past, the world of Azeroth teemed with wonders of every kind. Magical races and ancient beasts strode alongside the tribes of man -- until the arrival of the demonic Burning Legion and its baneful lord, Sargeras. Now dragons, elves, orcs, and dwarves all vie for supremacy across their scarred, war-torn kingdoms -- all part of a grand, malevolen ...more

Rise of the Horde by Christie GoldenArthas by Christie GoldenThe Shattering by Christie GoldenJaina Proudmoore by Christie GoldenThe Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb
33rd out of 45 books — 54 voters
For the Win by Cory DoctorowNeuromancer by William GibsonReady Player One by Ernest ClineThe Art of Game Design by Jesse SchellEverything Bad is Good for You by Steven Johnson
GamesMOOC Chat Reading Ideas
44th out of 52 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 25, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
Actually really enjoyed these short stories, especially Lord of the Clans and Of Blood and Honor. The World of Warcraft is such a rich realm and it was interesting to dive deeper into the backstory behind the games. If you like Warcraft at all...this is definitely worth picking up.
Oct 01, 2011 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Warcraft universe
A collection of three novels and one novella set in the Warcraft universe. I picked this up because I'm an avid player of World of Warcraft and wanted to learn more about the backstory/lore to the world that I spend so much time playing in. I'm certainly not going to stop with just these stories, but will continue to read the other novels based in the Warcraft world. Reading these has made bits and pieces of the game world make more sense and I think that the other books will be eye opening as w ...more
Feb 22, 2011 Bryan rated it it was amazing
As much as I've played the Warcraft series, it was great to read more of the lore behind the world. It was an enjoyable look into the history outside of the games, whether it was Khadgar's apprenticeship under the mystical Medivah at the end of the First War, Rhonin and Vereesa's quest to free the dragonqueen Alexstrasza, the tale of Thrall and the rise of the new Horde, or Tirion Fordring proving how honor extends against warring factions. And to see these characters in World of Warcraft knowin ...more
If you like playing World Of Warcraft and enjoy a bit of reading aswell, then you should definitely pick up this book. I enjoyed these stories, especially Lord of the Clans and Of Blood and Honor. I've been playing the game for a while now, and thought it might be interesting to learn more about the story behind the games. Having read this book it has wet my appetite, the next book is already eagerly waiting for me to turn its pages.
Feb 24, 2015 Nayari rated it really liked it
The first three books in this quadrilogy are wonderfully exciting, informative, and engaging. Regrettably, the novella at the end of the book is not as good. While I understand the difference between novel and novella, this novella read as if written by an amateur writer. The description was all right, but there was no distinguishing between character voices and the characters for the main one, Tirion...felt horribly like one-dimensional-cardboard figures with little out-of-the ...more
Nov 23, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Day of the dragon- This was a really good story about friendship and redemption. It even had a little romance thrown in too. After reading War of the Archives, I was really interested in anything to do with Rhonin and Vareesa. And this is the story of how they first met. Throw in all of the Aspects, some mean orcs, a goblin who deserved his death, and some awesome dwarves and you get an epic story. 5 stars.

Lord of the Clans- Thrall. Do I need to say more? I do? Ok, this is the story of thrall fr
Jan 14, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy readers, those who play or have played any Warcraft game
Recommended to Rachel by: WoW
Shelves: warcraft, favorites
01/14/11: Of Blood and Honor is a novelette penned by Chris Metzen detailing the encounter between Lord Paladin Tirion Fordring and the reclusive Eitrigg of the Blackrock Clan. I found it to be a wonderful portrait of Fordring and extremely relevant to his character's development. After reading this story, when Fordring speaks of honor, you know he does not do so lightly. Uther the Lightbringer makes a brief but shining appearance, as does Thrall. At only 64 pages, Of Blood and Honor is a must r ...more
Allen Christianson
Jul 12, 2012 Allen Christianson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: game, fantasy
As there are multiple works in one volume, I'll go over each one quickly:

Day of the Dragon
As always, Knaak seems to bring down the WoW lore to a place of B-action movies, focused on describing the visuals he has in his mind instead of focusing on actual character reactions to situations. Couple that with a grandiose portrayal of the higher creatures, such as dragons, and you have a very predictable plot. He also has a tendency to attach female characters to the male lead, and provide a very male
Oct 13, 2009 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is incredible and it was hard to put it down sometimes. I love the authors' writing and I can really get into the stories.

In Day of the Dragon, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the five dragon Aspects. I really got into the story about the struggles Krasus/Korialstrasz and Rhonin faced in freeing Alexstrasza from Nekros. I thought Deathwing was fascinating and I didn't get the impression at all that he was a bad guy. He seemed more like a brother that had gone astray. I could really
May 23, 2010 Aaron rated it really liked it
Christie Golden's contribution is definitely the standout here. Jeff Grubb and Chris Metzen write solid pieces. The only downfall of this collection is Knaak's work.

"Day of the Dragon" is a pretty good story, and it features some great characters from traditional Warcraft lore, but the writing style is practically unreadable. Not a single character "says" anything. Everyone booms, shouts, whispers, growls, rumbles, mutters, announces, hisses, murmurs, demands, gasps, spouts, and bursts. It's ver
Jon Huff
Feb 17, 2012 Jon Huff rated it liked it
Having just started to play WOW, I thought it'd be fun to do some light reading and get the back story of the game. This is a collection of 3 earlier novels and one shorter e-novel. Despite collecting 3 novels it's only somewhere around 600 pages and is a quick, easy read. As with any collection with different authors, it's hard to rate it as a whole without breaking it into parts.

The Last Guardian is probably my favorite of them all, as I found the relationship between Kadghar and Medivh to be
Apr 04, 2012 Stephen rated it it was amazing
I am a geek at heart, therefore, at some point in my life have played World of Warcraft. I thought to myself, why not read more into the world I am playing. I was very happy with that choice. I was able to see some of my favorite characters in action, and I'm happy I did. For a nice collection of stories, it was surprising to see so many of them so well written by various authors and in line with the Warcraft world. It had your usual fantasy obligations, magic, twists, and humor that only geeks ...more
Eden Stotesbury
Oct 18, 2015 Eden Stotesbury rated it it was amazing
love me some good lore. :P especially when it's about the game in addicted too. :P
Henry Chan
Thrall rocks!
Sep 04, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
It feels a full circle once you read the back story of how some characters and story lines in the Warcraft universe came to be.

This book and the games complement each other, so in order to have a full understanding of this book, you need to play the games, particularly WC3 and WoW, that way if you play the games and question the history/back story of certain elements, this book will tell you.

I now feel fulfilled in understanding the story that little bit more than I already had.
May 07, 2008 Andria rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Science Fiction, fantasy and game lovers
This is a good over-view of the back stories for the World Of War Craft on-line video game; This is a guilty pleasure, to be sure. I enjoy playing (usually in place of TV, or while watching TV at night :-)) and I enjoy reading, so this was a good combination of both. It has 4 different stories by 4 different authors, my favorite was by Christie Golden, concerning the back-story for Thrall the Orc Warchief. If you like World Of War Craft, this is a fun read.
Feb 21, 2011 Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of novels shares alittle of the problems the Diablo archive did. I think the storys never gets enough time to become really epic and have the characters evolve. Though this one is much better than the Diablo Archive and some of the storys are actually pretty good. I almost wanted to give this one four stars, but it doesnt quite make it all the way.

Edit:I thought about it, and i think it deserves a four after all.*
Tim Schlappi
Sep 19, 2016 Tim Schlappi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Awesome Read!!!! It really brought a new vision and helped me to understand the characters in the game and the history of what the game was built on. However, even if you are not an avid World of Warcraft gamer, the book and all of the stories are amazing to read. I was hooked from the very first page.
Jan 01, 2012 Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A captivating read for fans of the Warcraft universe, and surely a miss for those who are not.

Of the four stories within, I enjoyed The Last Guardian the most - a sturdy plot that is peppered with enough mystery and intrigue to be a viable story even were it not to rely on the Warcraft brand.
Allen Bair
Apr 02, 2012 Allen Bair rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite fantasy books, in particular because the good guys and bad guys aren't always who you would assume them to be. The tale of Thrall and the one with Eitrigg are probably my favorites because they really play up the "who's the man and who's the monster?" theme.
Jul 21, 2012 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
3 stars because there are 4 stories and I had to average my rating. Like other Warcraft books, Christie Golden's story is 5 stars and Richard Knaak's is closer to 2 stars. Metzen's lore is good (understandably, if you know his role at Blizzard) but his writing style is weak.
Feb 02, 2009 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
So far, a nice treat! And even though I'm only into the first story of four, I've been giddy with excitement as I read of Malygos, the blue dragon aspect, who will have a major part to play in the upcoming Wrath of the Lich King expansion of World of Warcraft.
Dec 10, 2010 Cat rated it really liked it
A totally awesome collection if you're just getting started in Warcraft lore. The books are, for the most part, well-written, and it's all in all good fantasy storytelling. My personal favorite is "Lord of the Clans" followed by "Of Blood and Honor".
Jan 28, 2010 Ihave2teeth rated it it was amazing
Yes, i play WOW (i'm a night elf hunter) since i played the game i picked up the novel to read to fill in the gaps of the story line in the world of warcraft world. not only did it fill the gap but this was well written too with 4 great stories.
Oct 03, 2007 John rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Warcraft fans
Shelves: fantasy
Of Blood and Honor by Chris Metzen isn't available for rating anywhere else, so I used this multi-book volume for that purpose. For ratings of the other three books, find them on my shelf individually.
Feb 25, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Another great read in Warcraft history. I love reading the lore behind the game. As with the others that I have read, this would be a recommended read even for those who don't play the game.
Wachlin007 Hotmail
Feb 22, 2008 Wachlin007 Hotmail rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
These four stories help explain the story line of the warcraft computer games. My favorite of these four was Lord of the Clans, the story of how Thrall, the leader of the orcs, came to power.
Pavel Kolev
Jul 07, 2016 Pavel Kolev rated it really liked it
Amazing archive. Combining probably the most intriguing stories from the lore that are not related to actual epic and large battles and are stories about the people/orcs from the world.
Ben Eiynk
Nov 05, 2007 Ben Eiynk rated it liked it
Recommends it for: my brother
I'm about 120 pages into it so far... the first story is pretty interesting, though it's basically done from the Alliance point of view which of course sucks... because Horde Rocks.
Cheri Edwards
Sep 17, 2012 Cheri Edwards rated it it was amazing
Perchased this book only for the last story, 'Of Blood and Honor' (story only comes as Kindle otherwise). It's fairly short. Read it in a couple of hours. Very Awesome story.
  • The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Warcraft Legends, Volume 5
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • Warcraft: Death Knight (World of Warcraft)
  • Warcraft: Shaman
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, Dragonrealm (his own creation), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written five non-series fantasy books.

More about Richard A. Knaak...

WarCraft (4 books)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)
  • Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)