Start by marking “How Did I Get Here?: Finding Your Way to Renewed Hope and Happiness When Life and Love Take Unexpected Turns” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  23 reviews
All of us find ourselves, at one time or another facing the unexpected and asking "How did I get here?" Whether because of disappointments in love, crises in health, family or finances, professional dissatisfaction, or events beyond your control, life doesn't look like you expected or intended it to.

HOW DID I GET HERE? is a groundbreaking inspirational handbook for anyone
Published May 2nd 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How Did I Get Here?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Did I Get Here?

Rain ~miss kinky knickers~
It's been a while since I read this, so my impressions aren't exactly fresh. And, no, I do not intend to read it again. Ever.

That said, I should probably explain how I got to read it in the first place...
As it happens, I found some quotes from the book, and those were kind of nice - in a smartly ordered words, that we all use daily but in much simpler form, way - so I thought I could give it a try. Found it in a library, brought it home, started reading, and...

*digression*
Right now, I feel the n
Chris
This is one of her better books. As the years have passed she has less of a Polly Anna presentation for her ideas on improving our lives - which always comes back basically to improving our relationships. In this one she deals more with loss and the grieving becausde of aging, illness, death of loved ones, regrets for things we did not do well etc. But I especially like the conclusion that "Loss with disillusionment is worse. It contains more than regret - but also anger, self-recrimination, and ...more
Tamara Steffen
Amazing

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who needs guidance through challenging times. Barbara is a highly enlightened soul who gets what life is about. A must-have!
Elizabeth Olson
More than half the book is devoted to describing how we lose our way (basically, by not paying attention and falling asleep or checking out of knowing what's really going on) and what kinds of lost you might find yourself in (relationship troubles, health crises, job problems, etc.). DeAngelis moves on to a lot of talk about staying open to intuition, recognizing dead ends as opportunities for course corrections, and the like, then skips to "and then, things get better" without ever offering any ...more
Tina
I've read this book quite some time ago and like to skim through it occasionally. She has good insight into people. When I first read the book I thought wow she must have really experienced some heavy duty things in her life to have such insights. Then I read that she wrote the book in response to one of her pets dying. It's been a while I read that so the memory is a little vague. Still, I liked the book enough to buy it. It truly doesn't matter how one obtains perspective and insight and can s ...more
Krista
I don't regularly turn to self-help books, but I don't have a therapist in my life right now so I am functioning as my own counselor. I have been asking myself lately, "How did I get here?" and this book jumped out at me from the shelves at the library. I am finding that I really like and respect the way Barbara DeAngelis phrases. She focuses on self-empowerment through honesty with your self. I feel more clear of mind after reading a chapter.
Eileen
Dr. Deangelis is very compassionate "been there, done that" kind of author, who truly gets to the heart of the matter. This book jumped at me at the right time and made a lot of sense, but sadly, didn't answer my questions - it just explained why I had them, and how to proceed in finding answers. It was packed with food for thought, and some of the quotes and stories moved me tremendously, so it was well worth the read.
Barb
This book reminded me of the importance of focusing on today and what is good in life that I often overlook. The various poems and quotes throughout the book were very insightful. I jotted down several of their names to visit some of their works.

It took me a while to get through this book, but I find self-help books to be that way. :)

Debbie
Jun 07, 2008 Debbie added it
This is my favorite book!!! Totally Love it. I have read it over and over. My copy is highlighted and dated througout the book.

I have several books by Barbara. I love her way of writing. This is her best book so far. It has helped me in my life. This book makes me go "ah ha, now I see".

I feel relaxed when I read this book.
Eileen
No words can express how profound this book has impacted my life and how it helped me to make necessary decisions. A must read for those finding their life and journey has changed all of a sudden.
Melissa
This is exactly what I need right now. I'm going through a life change and her words are inspirational and thought provoking. I plan to read it through again and do more reflection the second time.
Patti
I got a lot out of this book. I can't begin to summarize. If you are feeling lost in your life and not sure how you got to where you are she offers good points to help get back on track.
Nichole
I'm probably rating this high because I read this book at just the perfect time in my life - when I was, as DeAngelis says, "shattered awake". Quite helpful for someone in crisis.
Judy Strong
An open, honest look at one's life, with personal assessments and an educated evaluation of our choices and consequences. Very good food for thought.
Gidget Brown-l pugh
I struggled to read this book several times but unfortunately never got past the SECOND chapter. BORING
Sahar
Really helped me this book. Thanks Barbara.
I found out that so many world have the same problems.
Foujan barghian
well I have a huge crash on Barbara an' this one I think is the most effection work of her..
Sylvia gunn
i learned to respaect more of the stuff ive own and how to value things
Kameron
For when your life goes off track and you have no idea what to do next!
M
Mar 23, 2010 M is currently reading it
The intro looks solid unlike her other opinionated books
Hafsa Sada
A very lovely book. I would read it again and again
Yasi
Several inspiring quotes for every day life.
Azam
useful for life
Emily
May 04, 2011 Emily is currently reading it
amazing
Deema Rain
Deema Rain marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Angela Crandall
Angela Crandall marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Kanoknapha Au
Kanoknapha Au marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Katrina Luck
Katrina Luck marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Maram
Maram marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
  • Fried: Why You Burn Out and How to Revive
  • What About the Big Stuff?: Finding Strength and Moving Forward When the Stakes Are High
  • He's Scared, She's Scared: Understanding the Hidden Fears That Sabotage Your Relationships
  • Conscious Living: Finding Joy in the Real World
  • Beyond Wealth: The Road Map to a Rich Life
  • Transitions: Prayers and Declarations for a Changing Life
  • Your Inner Awakening: The Work of Byron Katie: Four Questions That Will Transform Your Life
  • The Bond: Connecting Through the Space Between Us
  • The Six Archetypes of Love: From Innocent to Magician
  • The Issue at Hand:  Essays on Buddhist Mindfulness Practice
  • The Women of the House: How a Colonial She-Merchant Built a Mansion, a Fortune, and a Dynasty
  • The Four Purposes of Life: Finding Meaning and Direction in a Changing World
  • The Disease to Please: Curing the People-Pleasing Syndrome
  • Our Appointment with Life: Discourse on Living Happily in the Present Moment
  • The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
  • By the Lake of Sleeping Children
  • Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation
  • Codependent No More & Beyond Codependency
Barbara De Angelis Ph.D. is one of the most influential teachers of our time in the field of relationships and personal growth. For the past twenty-five years, she has reached tens of millions of people throughout the world with her positive messages about love, happiness and the search for meaning in our lives. As a best-selling author, popular television personality and sought after motivational ...more
More about Barbara De Angelis...
Are You the One for Me?: Knowing Who's Right and Avoiding Who's Wrong Secrets About Men Every Woman Should Know Secrets About Life Every Woman Should Know: Ten Principles for Total Emotional and Spiritual Fulfillment What Women Want Men to Know: The Ultimate Book About Love, Sex, and Relationships for You and the Man You Love Real Moments: Discover the Secret for True Happiness

“The obstacles in our path are not blocking us-they are redirecting us. Their purpose is not to interfere with our happiness; it is to point us toward new routes to our happiness, new possibilities, new doorways.” 11 likes
“It is not our difficulties or our suffering alone that makes us wise. It is what we add to them--patience, perseverance, compassion, courage, love. From this combination, our priceless pearls of wisdom grow.” 6 likes