Start by marking “101 Things to Learn in Art School” as Want to Read:
101 Things to Learn in Art School

101 Things to Learn in Art School

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  20 reviews
What is the first thing to learn in art school? "Art can be anything." The second thing? "Learn to draw." With 101 Things to Learn in Art School, artist and teacher Kit White delivers and develops such lessons, striking an instructive balance between technical advice and sage concepts. These 101 maxims, meditations, and demonstrations offer both a toolkit of ideas for the ...more
Published October 21st 2011 by MIT Press (MA) (first published September 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about 101 Things to Learn in Art School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Things to Learn in Art School

Tiffany Reisz
I'm not a visual artist but I think many of the insights speak to all artists. I stole one passage in here to describe Kingsley's naked body in The Queen. What can I say? He's a work of art.

Fun book! Buy it for the aspiring artist in your life.
Anne
Missed out on art school because you thought law school seemed less flaky? Well, now you, too, can learn whatever it is art students learn, without ever paying tuition or lugging around a comically large portfolio!

I read this little book while my kids played with a ginormous puzzle in the public library (why does it have to rain the second day of summer vacation?). I pulled it off the shelf because I have a soft spot for small books that tend to get lost on shelves. It was rubberized on the outs
Louise Silk
#4 Art is the product of process.

Whether conceptual, experimental, emotional, or formal, the process you develop yields the image you produce. The materials you choose, the methods of production, and the sources of the images should all reflect the interests that command your attention. The process does not stop with each work completed. It is ongoing. The cumulative result of that process is a body of work.

#28 An idea is only as good as its execution.

It is important that you master your medium.
Ben Adams
I got so much out of this book. The book itself is interesting as an art piece. I learned one of my favorite words in this book: Facture. This book played an important role in helping me to figure out my own personal creative path.
Jessica Zu
enigmatic
art is life condensed into an object
religion is life imagined into an icon
Jeneba Charkey
More of a course on aesthetics - contemporary aesthetics - than a course about formal technical training. It will make you yearn to sit with a learned Teacher and start all over again with a deeper understanding of WHY you are doing what you are doing.
Alexey Sidorenko
An inspiring read with few valuable observations.
Kimbo
Each page is sharp and interesting, but too many topics too quickly defined and then dismissed makes for a terrifically tiresome book if read from cover to cover. It's like reading the dictionary: while I enjoy reading from the dictionary (practically every day I'm off to check out a word or phrase!), I wouldn't sit down with it to commence reading from beginning to end. Same with this here bookie--it'd work better as an "idea" book: pick it up, flip to any page and, if it strikes your bliss, us ...more
Julie Bozza
A very interesting little book, conveying 101 ideas about art and about being an artist - each with a statement, a paragraph, and a drawing. I read it through from cover to cover over a number of days, and anticipate that I'll be going back to browse randomly every now and then.

Some of these things will provide insight to any art-lover, some are broadly applicable to any creative (including those of us who work with words), some went right over my head (for now, at least). Plenty of food for tho
Natasha
Fun, little read...he's very specific about what you should learn or have learned in art class...kinda took it with a grain of salt though...and happy he proceeded to define all the "big" words he used to describe art...
Marlene
Some interesting insights for those who create art, critique it , love it and who teach. Appreciating and understanding art is about seeing and experiencing the world around you in to the fullest capacity.
Reuel
Dec 27, 2013 Reuel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
Many thought-provoking observations on art and culture. It's worth re-reading and/or dipping into periodically.
Sherry (sethurner)
The book as a strange rubbery black and white cover, but I'm not judging.
I never went to art school, and was interested in the "big idea" Mr. White says one should acquire while there.
John
Immensely well thought out. Though I have no plans to attend art school, this was a great quick read, and provoked a lot of (to me) interesting thinking.
Tim Beck
A creative book that translate beyond those wishing to enter art school. I found many parallels to aspects of life and faith.

Art is life.
Dina Benedetto
This is a great book for a student who is interested in going into the visual arts. I like it because each page gives a fact and there it is.
Stephanie
Delightful, tiny essays on the 101 things every art student should know. I forgot a few I guess!
Michael Kelly
uses drawing as a basis for deconstructing space. very clear and mind expanding.
Celine
I would memorize the entirety of this if I could
101 nuggets of wisdom
Rae
Summaries what I needed to know about art.
Hallie Jackson
Hallie Jackson marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Andrea Rodriguez
Andrea Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Les Alhadeff
Les Alhadeff is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2015
Shameera
Shameera is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2015
  • Design Thinking (Basic Design #8)
  • The Information Design Handbook
  • The Best American Essays 2004
  • Shivering Sands: Seven Years of Stories, Drinking and the World
  • Art Direction Explained, At Last!
  • Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual
  • Yours Ever: People and Their Letters
  • Plastic Cameras: Toying with Creativity
  • Photography Q&A: Real Questions. Real Answers.
  • Letters to a Young Artist: Building a Life in Art
  • Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2: Edge of Vision
  • The Web Designer's Idea Book Volume 2: More of the Best Themes, Trends and Styles in Website Design
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 5
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 7
  • Letters
  • Fundamentals of Photography: The Essential Handbook for Both Digital and Film Cameras
  • The Book of Leviathan