Start by marking “Dreaming Metal” as Want to Read:
Dreaming Metal

Dreaming Metal

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Five years after the Manfred riots, the question of machine intelligence is still a dangerous one on Persephone, and the coolie rights organization Realpeace is not prepared to let it go. For conjurer Celinde Fortune and her musician cousin Fanning Jones, the conflict is a distant one -- until the murder of a popular musician raises the stakes even for the most determinedl ...more
Published August 15th 1998 by Tor Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming Metal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming Metal

Alexandra
I missed a first-in-the-series, here, which is a bit frustrating; I'm usually pretty good about not doing that. Anyway, if it's going to bug you like it annoys me, go read Dreamships first. This one will wait.
Scott likes tackling hard topics, and here she's asking - when does intelligence become intelligence? When can, in crude terms, a computer be regarded as a being in its own right? Does there have to be a deliberate effort on the part of humans for it to happen, or could it develop accident
Althea Ann
This is the sequel to Melissa Scott's "Dreamships." It mostly functions as a standalone novel, with different (although somewhat overlapping) main characters and a separate (although linked) story, but I would still recommend reading Dreamships first, just because the world that Scott creates here is complex, full of different political and racial factions, which are easier to keep track of if you read them in order (which I didn't).
The planet here is an industrial colony, built underground on a
Lissa Notreallywolf
JW
One thing I love in a story is a setting you can tell the storyteller really put some thought into making unique and real. Which is the reason I stopped watching the new Battlestar Galactica. Melissa Scott has done that and the results are incredible. There’s established ethnic and political and artistic histories and conflicts that are not only detailed and completely natural but actually impact that characters and story.

Speaking of which, fortunately, the story is good, too. I think it’s a sta
Nora
If I were breaking up with this book, I would say, "It's not you, it's me." I don't think I was intelligent enough to understand what was going on in this novel. There were so many technologies, ethnic groups, etc. that were never fully explained. I don't think I have the right kind of brain for world-building of that type. For example, there were two extremist groups, one called Realpeace and the other Dreampeace. Those sound so similar to me I didn't even realize there were two until
Victoria Gaile
I liked this better on second read. Although in theory it stands alone, it really makes much more sense when read with knowledge of what happened five years beforehand, in Dreamships: those events cast a long shadow over the individuals and societies in this story. The main characters in that book are secondary or background characters in this one.

Two of the viewpoint characters in this book are performers: Fortune is an illusionist -- not the fantasy-magic kind, the smoke and mirrors kind; and
Joy
This early in the year, I already have a candidate for Favorite Sci Fi Read. Melissa Scott's greatest skill is showcased in this book - portraying the creative process. The viewpoint characters are Fortune, a stage magician; Fanning, a band member; and Jian, a pilot who was traumatized by a near-AI a few years before DREAMING METAL begins. Their planet is in the grip of a terrorist movement, but Fortune and Fanning are focused on expanding their abilities in spite of the chaos around them. Now F ...more
Riversue
Best Melissa Scott ever. Grabs you and pulls you in right to the last page. Profound insight into the meaning of being human.
Stevelvis
DREAMSHIPS and DREAMING METAL by MELISSA SCOTT -- Two books written years apart, both examining the technology and social, legal, and moral implications of Artificial Intelligence in a futuristic space setting.
John
This book and it's prequel, Dreamships, have a very interesting approach to the connected qustions of ill-distributed human rights and the possibility of artificial intelligences.
Niall519
Unusual and surprising. I never expected to read a book neatly combining the life of musicians and stage magicians, and the development of AI before. Full points to the author for trying that, and for pulling it off.
Offbalance
Few cyberpunk authors ever captured the potential for machines (AI or otherwise) to create things that are beautiful as well as Scott did in this book. One of her best, without question.
Aeolis
This is my all time favorite book. I've read it over and over again.
Brenden Peters
Brenden Peters marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Karise
Karise marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
William Raths
William Raths marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Margot Verger
Margot Verger marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Cassie Hawkings
Cassie Hawkings marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Hartley
Hartley marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Jun 30, 2015
Zack Reagin
Zack Reagin marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
  • Virtual Girl
  • Mississippi Blues (Nanotech, #2)
  • Nekropolis
  • The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop
  • The Bohr Maker
  • Solitaire
  • The Fortunate Fall
  • A Million Open Doors (Giraut #1)
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
  • Logos Run
  • Slow River
  • White Queen
  • Alanya to Alanya (Marq'ssan Cycle, #1)
  • Mindplayers
  • Carnival
  • Smoketown
  • Picoverse
  • Apocalypse Array (LINK Angel, #4)
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.

Scott's work is known for the elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbia
More about Melissa Scott...
Trouble and Her Friends Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1) Dreamships Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2) Death by Silver