Start by marking “The Engines of Sacrifice” as Want to Read:
The Engines of Sacrifice

The Engines of Sacrifice

In hidden places, they sleep and dream, and through their dreams they touch humanity--but their touch brings only the stains of horror, death, and madness...until the day the Old Ones return.

In The Engines of Sacrifice, acclaimed writer James Chambers delivers four nightmare novellas inspired by the Mythos of H. P. Lovecraft.

Investigation 37: In the late years of the Vietn
Published July 19th 2012 by Dark Regions Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Engines of Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Engines of Sacrifice

Apr 28, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Engines of Sacrifice is Lovecraftian fiction at its best. In these stories Chambers evokes the palpable atmosphere of dread that Lovecraft is infamous for but also updates the mythos and adds more action. I certainly appreciate the inclusion of many female characters since they are almost completely missing from Lovecraft's work. And they are not just tokens but often have a driving force in the narrative.

As you might expect, hope and hopelessness are themes throughout as well as isolation. But
Claus Appel
Jun 02, 2016 Claus Appel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The three first stories in this collection are some of the very best post-Lovecraft Cthulhu Mythos stories I have read. They are built on the thing I love most about the Mythos: The feeling that there are vastly greater forces in the universe, terrifying forces against whom Man is helpless. The tone is delightfully misanthropic and life-denying.

Chambers manages to match Lovecraft's effectiveness at painting this atmosphere of cosmic horror, and he does it without copying Lovecraft's style. The
Jim Dooley
Feb 03, 2016 Jim Dooley rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book!

I have read so many H.P. Lovecraft pastiches over the years, and I can likely count on one hand the number that merited putting pen to paper. Most are filled with obscure chanting, shadowy creatures, and the mandatory reference to The Necronomicon. Of course, Lovecraft's stories are so much more than that kind of surface-level narrative.

This book, however, was quite different. It evokes the Lovecraft tone (without the weighty, obscure prose) to create a truly eerie mood.

It i
Don
Sep 06, 2013 Don rated it it was amazing
I have a confession. I love horror, but I've never been a huge fan of H.P. Lovecraft. While I admire HPL's ideas and his influence on horror literature, I had always found his writing to be rather florid and ponderous. So it was with some trepidation that I began to read the Lovecraft-inspired THE ENGINES OF SACRIFICE, a book highly recommended to me by a friend who is a major HPL aficionado.

I needn't have worried.

If you're looking for an imaginative, compelling, frightening and all-out entertai
Scarlett R Algee
Scarlett R Algee rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Waffles
Waffles rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2013
Elsabe
Elsabe rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Philip Wickstrand
Philip Wickstrand rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Shadowdenizen
Shadowdenizen rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Ryan Wheeler
Ryan Wheeler rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Yoguul
Yoguul rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Paul Anderson
Paul Anderson rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
Sawney Hatton
Sawney Hatton rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2013
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Dark Quest Books
Dark Quest Books rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2013
Robert Brodmerkel
Robert Brodmerkel rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Marcos
Marcos rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
j rees
j rees rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2012
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2012
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2012
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2012
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
CasualDebris
CasualDebris marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2013
Justin Steele
Justin Steele marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Arkkari
Arkkari is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2014
Sirensongs
Sirensongs marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Matthew Dowd
Matthew Dowd marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Jon Recluse
Jon Recluse marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Char
Char marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Gef
Gef marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Curtis
Curtis marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Tiffany Kramer
Tiffany Kramer marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Hal Johnson
Hal Johnson marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
John J Questore
John J Questore marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Kevin Laberge
Kevin Laberge marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Duane
Duane marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Mark McLemore
Mark McLemore marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
James Chambers writes tales of horror, crime, fantasy, and science fiction. He is the author of The Engines of Sacrifice, a collection of four Lovecraftian-inspired novellas published in 2011 by Dark Regions Press which Publisher’s Weekly described as “…chillingly evocative….” He is also the author of the short fiction collection Resurrection House (Dark Regions Press, 2009). Most recently, Dark Q ...more
More about James Chambers...