Start by marking “Under The Andes” as Want to Read:
Under The Andes

Under The Andes

Under the Andes is an early novel by Rex Stout, first published in the All-Story Magazine in 1914. Temptress Desirée Le Mire and brothers Paul and Harry Lamar search for lost treasure in a mysterious cave. They encounter Incas who have been deformed by living underground. Rex Stout was an American crime writer best known for creating the character Nero Wolfe. During the ...more
Paperback
Published December 20th 2000 by Wildside Press (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about Under The Andes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under The Andes

Marts  (Thinker)
Aug 03, 2016 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was ok
This strange story is not very exciting, I thought it would be. The characters and events are definitely not exciting, the plot could have been better.
This review is also not exciting...
Pamela
Apr 28, 2013 Pamela rated it did not like it
No Archie. No Nero. No orchids. No point.
MB Taylor
An interesting book; not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting something along the lines of an Edgar Rice Burroughs story, but (and I'm not sure why exactly) this reminded me more of H. Rider Haggard.

The story starts off a little slowly, giving us ample time to get to know the characters. We meet Paul Lamar, a wealthy New York bachelor and the narrator; Harry Lamar, his much younger brother; and Desiree La Mire, an exotic dancer and free spirit. Paul describes a female friend his as "not
Julie Davis
Sep 20, 2016 Julie Davis rated it liked it
H. Rider Haggard style adventure which put me in mind of The People of the Mist, though I didn't like it nearly as well. However, I'm always up for hidden lands adventures and this was quite enjoyable in its way.
Perry Whitford
Wealthy sophisticate Paul Lamar becomes concerned for the family name when his impetuous younger brother Harry becomes besotted with a notorious dancer and seductress, named Desiree Le Mire.
The lovers' run away and Paul follows them, leading to a cruise around the Americas and an incredible adventure amongst a lost tribe of hairy Incas hidden away for centuries in caves under the Andes.

It's difficult to conceive how the writer of this stiff, generic tripe could possibly be the same one who woul
Benjamin
Aug 18, 2015 Benjamin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a bore.

Excruciatingly tedious, disappointingly unimaginative, gruesomely violent, with sprinkles of racism to boot.

The book started promising, with an interesting trio of characters heading off on adventures and an unlimited cash flow, but once the story meets the title and goes under the Andes, it grinds to a halt. The adventurers are captured and recaptured again and again by a lost tribe of de-evolved, subterranean Incas. How anyone sees anything in the blackness of unlit caves is never
A.G. Lindsay
As early Rex Stout (of Nero Wolfe fame), it's a solid, "workmanlike" story, although repetitive.

In the action/adventure vein of "King Solomon's Mines" or "Journey to the Center of the Earth," "Under the Andes" features the obligatory female love interest who really doesn't do much more than get into trouble and have to be rescued (although, to give Stout credit, his "Le Mire" actually holds her own in some of the fighting scenes...but not many!) The two brothers really only become interesting a
Nancy  W'f
Sep 26, 2012 Nancy W'f rated it liked it
One of the weirder little books I've ever read. Three intrepid wanderers wind up falling down a hole in a mountain cavern and are captured--after a lot of wandering around through the dark--by the degenerate Incas, who voluntarily went underground to escape Pizarro and his greedy Spanish hoards. There isn't much about the Incas here, but there is a lot of stumbling around in the dark, fighting big scary monsters, and eating raw meat. I found it very diverting (I was reading it on my Kindle) but ...more
Norman Cook
Feb 01, 2016 Norman Cook rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
This is Stout's second published novel, some 20 years before Nero Wolfe came into the world. This is a lost race story similar in tone to what H. Rider Haggard was writing at the time. Stout had a good idea, but got mired down by derivative writing. The action really didn't get started until at least a quarter of the way through the book. The early scenes of the two brothers were a somewhat interesting picture of the idle "1%" of their day. Once they got trapped in the ancient Incan underground, ...more
Aug 13, 2013 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
I rarely don't finish a book, but with this one I made an exception. Being a fan of Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries, I was expecting a drama along the same lines: with adventure, nuance, crisp prose and likeable characters. I got none of it (at least as far as I read). I did catch on to the fact that this was written more as an homage to adventure novels by the likes of H. Rider Haggard. But as I continued to trudge through the chapters I realized that I was doing Stout a disservice. This is ...more
Tom Brucia
Mar 05, 2012 Tom Brucia rated it it was ok
Almost -- but not quite -- bad enough to be good. OK until the threesome descend into the depths and spend a year (yep!) wandering about getting injured, burned, lost, drowned, hunted, and so on. I can't imagine a map drawn from the (very detailed but incoherent) travel descriptions. I never could get used to descriptions of underground passages and caverns in the presumable total darkness. (Huh?) It really drags until one finishes mostly just to endure having invested so much time reading on... ...more
James Fearn
Jun 01, 2014 James Fearn rated it liked it
Okay, so this book does take a while to set up but that helps you to take an interest in the characters. It is easy to read and for the price (I got my copy for free) it is worth it. The characters end up trapped beneath the Andes mountains and attempt to free themselves with the troublesome realization that they may never see the sun again before their departure from this world. This book put my trust back into Mr. Stout and I am going to try and read some of the earlier Nero Wolfe works by him ...more
Jdetrick
Feb 13, 2015 Jdetrick rated it did not like it
I love Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series; it's my favorite detective series ever written. However, this, one of his earliest novels, is a far cry from his work with Wolfe. The Wolfe books are filled with characters whose personalities should perhaps make them unlikable, yet who are charming and enjoyable. Here, the characters are unsympathetic and annoying, making it difficult to feel much concern for their plights. It's also very slow and a little repetitive. Very disappointing.
Kathy
Nov 19, 2011 Kathy rated it did not like it
I've really enjoyed Stout's Nero Wolfe on Old Time Radio. But this was nothing like those stories. Two worldly-wise men, one exotic French dancer, trapped under the Andes mountains with a lost race of the Incas. Impossible story. Overly dramatic love story. I stuck with it mostly to see how Stout extricated his characters from the situation. Don't bother.
Ali
Feb 18, 2015 Ali rated it did not like it
Shelves: public-domain
i read this because i like rex stout's nero wolfe mysteries. i would say that "under the andes" has very little, if any, merit on its own. however, if you read this and one of rex stout's later works, it's just amazing to see how much one author's writing and storytelling improved over his lifetime.
Judy
Sep 12, 2009 Judy rated it did not like it
Okay, I was expecting something along the lines of a Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin story. Not even close. This is a "adventure" of two men and an exotic dancer who end up in the bowels of the Andes where, guess what, the Inca still live. Horrible.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Feb 24, 2008 Krista the Krazy Kataloguer rated it really liked it
I had my doubts about this, because I don't care for his Nero Wolfe mysteries. However, this was an adventure story reminiscent of Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World and Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth. I loved it!
Sarahandus
Jan 31, 2013 Sarahandus rated it it was ok
Shelves: novel, gave-up-on
It's hard to believe Rex Stout wrote this strange novel and the Nero Wolf mysteries.
I'm afraid this one bored me into giving up on it.
A story of two men and a beautiful woman finding a long lost Inca civilization living in total darkness in tunnels under the Andes.
Charles
Jul 10, 2009 Charles rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
A lost race type of story. It was all right but not outstanding. I though a lot of other writers have done it better, especially Howard, Burroughs, and Friel.
Anandh Sundar
Jan 26, 2011 Anandh Sundar rated it really liked it
Another exotic locale lost people story set in the Andes. What set this book apart is the love story interposed in between and also the amazing ending. An entertaining read.
April
Nov 12, 2014 April rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Very imaginative and twisty.Kind of surreal. Some what verbose and I lacked sympathy for the characters because they were morons but still a good read.
Anders
Apr 15, 2013 Anders rated it really liked it
Read for free via Kobo. Worth a peek if you like 20th C adventure stories. Will definitely be looking for more Rex Stout in the future.
Gregory
Mar 04, 2010 Gregory rated it it was ok
Well-written pulp, mostly interesting to see the portrayal of Incas a hundred years ago. Nowhere near as good as Nero Wolfe.
Bob Rust
Jun 19, 2016 Bob Rust rated it it was amazing
Under the Andes (1914) describes in a style very unlike his deft mature drawl an Underground Lost World of dwarf Incans.
Roger Booth
Jan 08, 2014 Roger Booth rated it did not like it
First book by Rex Stout. Useful as a window into the racist tendencies of the time. Even smart folks like Rex Stout were not immune. Not in any way representative of his later work.
Jayne
Jayne rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Doug
Doug rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2016
S.
S. rated it did not like it
Aug 27, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
  • Chandler: Later Novels and Other Writings
  • A Princess of Roumania (Princess of Roumania, #1)
  • Republic (America's Future, #1)
  • Lemons Never Lie (Alan Grofield, #4)
  • Gonna Take a Homicidal Journey (Lauren Laurano, #5)
  • Saint Overboard
  • Three Jim Chee Mysteries: People of Darkness / The Dark Wind / The Ghostway (Leaphorn  & Chee, #4-6)
  • Remote Control (Alan Gregory, #5)
  • Fade to Black
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick 5: The Eye of The Sibyl
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • Havana Bay (Arkady Renko, #4)
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated