Start by marking “Everything's an Argument with Readings” as Want to Read:
Everything's an Argument with Readings

Everything's an Argument with Readings

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Designed to be a true alternative to traditional argument texts, Everything's an Argument takes a fresh and friendly approach to the subject by showing students that argument is everywhere. Everything's an Argument with Readings complements this approach with a uniquely broad range of examples -- from essays to billboards to emails to radio programs -- that help students r ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Bedford Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Everything's an Argument with Readings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything's an Argument with Readings

Jason
Good, but a little superficial and vague at times, which isn't necessarily a problem; it does encourage the reader the think through the implications of the concepts the authors present.
However, there are a few instances where they just don't take certain ideas far enough.
I'd still recommend it to anyone interested in rhetoric and contemporary culture.
Alex Timberman
Don't let the small size fool you. This isn't your normal book but rather a college level text. It has useful information on noticing arguments and on analyzing arguments that are all around us. Very practical and useful book and I appreciate all of the real life examples along with the numerous images that are useful for class. I recommend it.
Graham
I like the variety of readings, and that's probably the biggest strength of the book; I don't know of a single other reader with such a range, and a well-chosen range at that. The organization (section naming, particularly) could use some work - lots of repetition and names that don't really tell me anything when I'm searching for something. I also don't see myself using any of the large amount of the book dedicated to talking about MLA, APA, or visual arguments given there's so many digital res ...more
Ryan Hirst
It's simple.
The authors fail to properly distinguish between fallacies and valid arguments. Which is supposed to be the point of the book. Examples if you want them.

For a clear introduction to the elments of argument, you might consider "With Good Reason," by S. Morris Engel. If you prefer to bump about with nincompoopery, then by all means read this instead. Just don't expect to be able to distinguish circular arguments.

Unless, of course, you already know how.

P.S. 'nincompoopery' is a blatant a
Kem Sua
Oct 03, 2014 Kem Sua is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
aaaa
Emily
Actually the one I'm reading is without readings, but goodreads doesn't seem to have that one in their list.

As a textbook for a Critical Thinking / Composition class, I like this one. Getting the non-readings version made the book cheaper and allowed me to choose my own readings, which, even for an inexperienced teacher like myself tends to work better and be more interesting than a reader.

This book gives clear, concise tips on writing argumentative papers.
Adam Floridia
Teaching my first upper level English class in the spring (Advanced Composition), and, more importantly, it's the first time I get to pick the book I want!

And it's official: this will be one of the required texts (the other being Vonnegut's Palm Sunday!)

Haven't read every article in it yet, but the pedagogic stuff on rhetoric is great. I do wish the thematic units of articles were more varied...or just different.
Justin
Flashes of excellence (which I excerpt for class) buried in a lot of filler. It felt like the authors were trying to take a book that could have been a Strunk & White and pad it out into a semester-long textbook. Still good for teaching students to read bloated texts swiftly - a skill that comes in handy at university.
Dedrick
I really enjoyed this book. It outlined and described several styles of argument and provided models that seem useful to me. I hope to apply these models at some point. However, since everything is an argument, I am sure I will make use of it.
Longfellow
Sorge-Way's comment on the back guarantees I'll give this book another chance. Perhaps I'll spend more time in the early chapters rather than expecting lots of great stuff from the themed readings in the back sections
B
Facinating short stories and great points to think about! I even used this book as a resource for essays written in other classes! Very well organized into topics and thoughts very clear and easy to read.
Diana
I had to read this for English 1101...thirteen years later and I STILL go back to this book. Love the different stories as essays as well as the commentary from the editors.
Rachelle
I'll be returning to this book every semester for hopefully a few years. If you're looking to learn about rhetoric and argument, this is a good book.
Amy
Used in my AP LANG class, interesting, made me think. Not particularly inspiring, but good all the same.
Danielle
A book about rhetoric. It has a lot of colorful pictures in it, which makes it more interesting.
Ashley Benfield
This is one of the best books I've read on rhetoric.
Absolutely essential for any intelligent writer.
Chris Petit
Chris Petit marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Khoa
Khoa added it
Apr 28, 2015
Nhu Quynh
Nhu Quynh marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Brennan Rogers
Brennan Rogers marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Sean Fuimaono
Sean Fuimaono marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Cindy Yau
Cindy Yau marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Trang Le
Trang Le marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
  • A Glossary of Literary Terms
  • The Norton Sampler: Short Essays for Composition
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • Patterns for College Writing: A Rhetorical Reader and Guide
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • The Big Questions: A Short Introduction to Philosophy (with Source CD-ROM)
  • Adolescence
Everything's an Argument The Everyday Writer Easy Writer: A Pocket Reference Everyone's an Author EasyWriter with 2009 MLA and 2010 APA Updates: A Pocket Reference