Start by marking “Hope Will Find You: My Search for the Wisdom to Stop Waiting and Start Living” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Hope Will Find You: My...

Naomi Levy

Hope Will Find You: My Search for the Wisdom to Stop Waiting and Start Living

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
How can I get my life off hold? When will my life really begin?

We all ask ourselves the same questions when we are struggling to move forward. As a rabbi, Naomi Levy frequently offered spiritual guidance to people seeking the answers. But when a doctor told her that her young daughter, Noa, had a fatal degenerative disease, Rabbi Levy’s own insights could not preventher wh
Published May 8th 2012 by Harmony (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hope Will Find You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope Will Find You

Amanda
Jul 17, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from a TV show contest. I never win anything. I've been struggling with a lot of things in the past year, and here comes this book in the mail. I couldn't even remember seeing the segment on the show, but I'm thinking, I like books. I'll read it and sell/trade it off at the used book store. But if hope will find you, this book found me right when I needed it. It really spoke to me. I feel like I was MEANT to have this book. It is one I will keep, treasure, and read more than once ...more
Sheldon
Nov 06, 2010 Sheldon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a LIFE-CHANGING book.
Every human being should be required to read this book at the age of 12, and to re-read it once annually.
It contains many truths we know, but hesitate to put into practice. Many of the examples are extraordinary.
It could be seen as a "self-help book for how to live life".
BUT, it's messages, and way of speaking to the reader, are more powerful than other such books.
I read a bit slowly, and it took me two nights to read the 240 pages.
Put aside two evenings.
READ THIS BO
Shifra
Sep 22, 2010 Shifra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this amazing book in two days, I could not put it down. Rabbi Naomi Levy has written such an inspiring honest book, sharing her own experiences and journey faced with the challenge of her daughter's experiences of suffering and joy.I loved how she isn't afraid to expose her fears and question of faith in spite of being a Rabb. And importantly the explanations from biblical texts combined with her style of writing was so moving. I highly recommend this book to all.
Betsy
Jun 26, 2011 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rabbi Levy's book is one of the most unusual faith books I have read. She was counseling with a family who had a daughter with A-T, a degenerative neurological disease. Within two years on a Sabbath Friday night, she received a phone call from her own doctor and the diagnosis of her own daughter was A-T. This book is filled with humorous situations Rabbi Levy and her husband, son, and daughter find themselves in. It is a story of how God works in many situations. There are frequent quotes from ...more
Barbara
Nov 29, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely book. I actually bought it by 'mistake' thinking I was buying a book by a different author. Maybe when you are buying a book like this there are no mistakes? It was a surprisingly compelling read. I had gotten through half of it before I'd even realized I was actually reading it. The whole thing sort of took me by surprise. While the story encompasses the struggles a terrified mother has over the health of her fragile child, it was kind, cheerful, and generously helpful to any read ...more
Gwen
Jan 22, 2012 Gwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting voyage of spiritual doubt and re-awakening, Levy shares her frustrations and doubts in the face of a faith-challenging event: the (possible) diagnosis of a degenerative disease for her daughter. We should all have such supportive family and community. I am impressed, inspired and/or envious of the (multi-)faith connections, from chevrutah to building share. For those of us without Talmud and rabbinic wisdom at our fingertips, is this book a tale of hope for us in our time of need, ...more
Mary Blye
Nov 02, 2014 Mary Blye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just what I needed. It spoke eloquently and powerfully to all the various situations in my life.
Thomas Holbrook
Jan 20, 2014 Thomas Holbrook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memior
Rabbi Naomi Levy has a good life. She is: the first woman admitted to a Conservative Rabbinic School, a “rising star” as a Rabbi in a local Synagogue, delightfully married to her best friend, the mother of son, Adi, and daughter, Noa. When her daughter was six, she is examined, tested, questioned, probed and prodded to determine the cause of her lack of coordination and frequent inability to walk without stumbling. Initially, she was diagnosed with Ataxia telangiectasia (A-T), a rare, neurodege ...more
Catherine Dover Stetson
I'm not very religious, but I thought she did a good job of expressing the torment that an individual feels when an important part of their lives goes awry. The torment, the search for answers, the search for fixes. Putting one's life on hold until the situation is "fixed." This was a powerful book, and Rabbi Naomi Levy is a courageous woman.
Jun 13, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Naomi Levy's books and her perspective very much. She's honest and thoughtful and I would recommend this book to anyone struggling with hard realities.
Stuart Nager
Mar 14, 2014 Stuart Nager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first found Rabbi Levy's writing in Talking to God, a series of prayers and passages that the Rabbi wrote for all manner of situations. This came into play at a period of my life when prayer was introduced to me.

Hope will find you is a journey through a dark period of the Rabbi's life; this is a personal tale told in short chapters, with much anguish and periods of just bright, bright observations.

I had put the book down halfway through for no reason. Picking it up again, the truth of what s
Michael Johnston
Mar 09, 2015 Michael Johnston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book. A story of fear, tragedy, faith and, above all, hope. Naomi Levy has written a wonderful and inspirational book based on her own struggles with faith. At the age of six her daughter is tentatively diagnosed with a rare degenerative disease that could be fatal, but she is told that they won't know for certain until she is in her early teens. Imagine having to wait seven years to find out if you will lose your only daughter. Not surprisingly, Levy's life is thrown into turmo ...more
Natalie
description
I wanted this book to change my life.
That isn't so much to ask, is it?

SPOILER ALERT!
It didn't.
Not even close.

To be fair, I was only going off of a handful of Goodreads reviews. To be fair, this is not a genre I venture into. To be fair, this book does not hide that God will be mentioned a lot (it is written by a Rabbi), and my faith in a higher power is somewhat...lacking.

BUT THOSE OTHER REVIEWS, MAN. I REALLY TRUSTED THEM.

So (quickly) here is what I liked:
1. The little Yiddish proverbs that
Arlene Allen
I read this book in two days. I am still waiting for hope to find me after a year of grueling loss. My husband was killed, my dog died, I was forced into early retirement and I had to move. I am sure the doors are there just at the end of a really long hallway. I am at the point where I do not know what I want or what to hope for. I have Naomi Levy's two other books which I keep nearby. ..this will join them. Maybe at some point hope will find me.
Brigitta
May 27, 2016 Brigitta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A feel-good, lightly spiritual book about living in the midst of uncertainty. The book centers around the unknown diagnosis of her daughter who has a developmental delay and I read quickly to find the end conclusion. However, I did enjoy the author's insights on her family's struggle from her modern Jewish point of view.
Jerri Kerns
Jan 26, 2014 Jerri Kerns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is by a Jewish Rabbi, but even though I do not know about the traditions and information about this faith I was able to get slot out of this book. It really spoke about things that our mind may see as obstacles are truly there to help us become the people we are meant to be in Gods eyes. It was a very uplifting story that makes one think and appreciate all that life has to offer.
Janet
Apr 25, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Wow! A friend recommended this book written by a rabbi about how to "stop waiting and start living" and it is wonderful! Each little chapter (2-3 pages) starts with a brief quote from the bible or a Yiddish proverb (example: God gave burden, also shoulders), the chapters were perfect for reading when I only had a few minutes, but then I didn't want to put the book down. The author dealt with her father's untimely death and her daughter's serious illness. She describes the situations and also how ...more
Gail Loyd
Aug 31, 2014 Gail Loyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Childhood faith grows up to meet adult requirements!
Jjbbone
Sep 20, 2011 Jjbbone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of wisdom in this book. It is about a female rabbi who finds that her daughter has a genetic condition that may or may not be terminal. How she copes is so familiar to those who have experienced a similar situation. It is helpful to those who haven't to understand and empathize with those who have, and to those who have, you know your reactions are not unusual. Her background as a brilliant rabbi informs much of what she deals with, spiritually. I only give 5 stars to amazing book ...more
Leah
Mar 28, 2011 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i usually have a problem with memoirs - just don't believe it all happened like this - but this one had some good points. i thought the old yiddish quotes were the best part of many of the chapters. and i could have used less reminding of how this woman had been a "rising star" in her field. but that said, she seemed like a great mom, and a great rabbi and the book was a nice journey. plus if she can lose hope, i don't feel so bad that i have too.
Sharron
Jan 14, 2013 Sharron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was suggested to me a few years ago when my son was going through a medical crisis. Reading it now had the strange effect of bringing me back to that horrible time of fear and anger. Though by the time I finished a few days later it was great to have the perspective that today's crap is just that, nothing compared to those horrible times.
Cnelsonquilt
Aug 08, 2011 Cnelsonquilt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is about a Jewish rabbi (woman) who has a daughter diagnosed at age 5 with a fatal neurological disease. it is a 7 year journey in their lives and has a lot of inspirational tidbits and alot of reality and challenging experiences i definately recommend this book
Lisa
Nov 25, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book touched my heart. I could relate to so many situations as they relate to my own life as a mother with a disabled child. I loved the process she went through to understand her own actions and emotions. This is a great story.
Joe Stevens
May 13, 2011 Joe Stevens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is simply inspirational. I love turning every single page. I actually feel like a better person after reading this book. I don't know if that was what I was supposed to get out of this, but there it is....wink!
Sophia
One of the best books I have ever read - full of inspiration and meaning. I appreciate the author's creative style of writing and her unique knack for gleaning personal meaning from Jewish/Biblical concepts.
Nicole
Feb 04, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this a "5" because I heard her speak in person. It meant even more hearing her than reading the book (which felt a bit choppy at times, though good points were made).
Bookworm
Jun 30, 2012 Bookworm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this recommendation by Liz L.. Finished it just before my oldest daughter's bat mitzvah and loved it.
Carolyn H.
Aug 31, 2012 Carolyn H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, thought-provoking. I wish it had been around 50 years ago and I would have been ready to hear the message.
Liz
May 29, 2012 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! I reread when I need some inspiration. So many quotes I can really relate to!
Nancy Fawcett
May 24, 2011 Nancy Fawcett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most amazing books I have ever read. I just loved it.
  • How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household
  • Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers: An Intimate Journey Among Hasidic Girls
  • Kosher Nation: Why More and More of America's Food Answers to a Higher Authority
  • Jewish With Feeling: A Guide to Meaningful Jewish Practice
  • A Bride for One Night: Talmud Tales
  • Yentl's Revenge: The Next Wave of Jewish Feminism
  • The Search for God at Harvard
  • Seven Blessings
  • This Is Real and You Are Completely Unprepared: The Days of Awe as a Journey of Transformation
  • My Almost Certainly Real Imaginary Jesus
  • Turbulent Souls: A Catholic Son's Return To His Jewish Family
  • Chicken Soup for the Jewish Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Cracked Open: Liberty, Fertility, and the Pursuit of High-Tech Babies