Sweat, Glamour and Light Sins

Sweat, Glamour and Light Sins

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The story depicts a project that develops within a gym in California when Rhonda, a fashion designer for plus size ladies, decides to hold a fashion show. The characters that intervene unfold a story of physical effort, grief, overcoming financial dire straits and commitment to body image preservation for the sake of love.
Published September 18th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Sweat, Glamour and Light Sins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweat, Glamour and Light Sins

Annarita Guarnieri
This is one of those books I approach with a slight anxiousness, because it doens’t belong to any of the genres I usually read… actually, it is a genre I do not like very much… and I was afraid that might throw a shade on my evaluation of the story.
And I was pleasantly surprised.
The story started just as I expected, with a light tone, light situations… in a few words, it seemed to be nothing more than a way to spend a few pleasant hours reading.
As I went on, however, as I got to know Rhonda, Is...more
Cathy Speight
If you like 'people watching', then a gym is as good a place as any to do it.
In this short story, the astute observer of people is a 'mature' gentleman, known as Abuelo (Grandpa), a well-established attendee who spends much of his time there. This gym is certainly an active one – it not only hosts its usual array of stomach-crunching, peck-enhancing apparatus, but provides a stage for fashion shows and Cirque du Soleil-type displays.
Through Abuelo’s eyes, we meet some fun and entertaining chara...more
Foresight Literary Lounge
ABUELO SAVES THE DAY

Sweat, Glamour and Light Sins, by Alex Canton-Dutari, gives us a glimpse into the gym life of a retired therapist (affectionately known as Abuelo, or grandfather). While most dread the gym and "get in and get out", Abuelo utilizes the gym for mental support and quickly realizes that the gym's subculture has changed since he was young. Most notably, people are "...less private about their personal information." As a result of the gym's inner core, Abuelo becomes privy to the p...more
Sue Palmer
This is a very different novella to anything i have ever read.It is excellently written and very well put together.

Set within a gym in California this story is an insight of life seen through the eyes of a new member, Abuelo ‘the grandfather’, who, along with the exuberant Rhonda, is the main character and narrator.
The novella is light hearted, entertaining and often hilarious with a touch of sexual content which is fitting to the storyline. However , as the plot and characters unfold there is...more
Helmy Kusuma
Alex 'Abuelo' Canton once again breaks the partition between genres and shakes the rigid definition of 'fiction'.

This novella, or story, is very refreshing and is a page turner! The plot is light; the characters are sufficiently depicted; the ending is sweet.

Well done! Keep 'em coming!
Llona Cunningham
Llona Cunningham marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2011
Her Peaceful Sleep It's The Water! The Woman Who Never Wore Makeup (Doc Series) Machito (Doc Series nº 1) Hours Have No Days