Start by marking “Sweat, Glamour and Light Sins” as Want to Read:
Sweat, Glamour and Light Sins

Sweat, Glamour and Light Sins

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  7 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
The story depicts a project that develops within a gym in California when Rhonda, a fashion designer for plus size ladies, decides to hold a fashion show. The characters that intervene unfold a story of physical effort, grief, overcoming financial dire straits and commitment to body image preservation for the sake of love.
Published September 18th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Sweat, Glamour and Light Sins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweat, Glamour and Light Sins

Annarita Guarnieri
Feb 20, 2013 Annarita Guarnieri rated it really liked it
This is one of those books I approach with a slight anxiousness, because it doens’t belong to any of the genres I usually read… actually, it is a genre I do not like very much… and I was afraid that might throw a shade on my evaluation of the story.
And I was pleasantly surprised.
The story started just as I expected, with a light tone, light situations… in a few words, it seemed to be nothing more than a way to spend a few pleasant hours reading.
As I went on, however, as I got to know Rhonda, Is
Cathy Speight
May 24, 2012 Cathy Speight rated it liked it
If you like 'people watching', then a gym is as good a place as any to do it.
In this short story, the astute observer of people is a 'mature' gentleman, known as Abuelo (Grandpa), a well-established attendee who spends much of his time there. This gym is certainly an active one – it not only hosts its usual array of stomach-crunching, peck-enhancing apparatus, but provides a stage for fashion shows and Cirque du Soleil-type displays.
Through Abuelo’s eyes, we meet some fun and entertaining chara
Foresight Literary Lounge
Oct 14, 2012 Foresight Literary Lounge rated it really liked it
ABUELO SAVES THE DAY

Sweat, Glamour and Light Sins, by Alex Canton-Dutari, gives us a glimpse into the gym life of a retired therapist (affectionately known as Abuelo, or grandfather). While most dread the gym and "get in and get out", Abuelo utilizes the gym for mental support and quickly realizes that the gym's subculture has changed since he was young. Most notably, people are "...less private about their personal information." As a result of the gym's inner core, Abuelo becomes privy to the p
Sue Palmer
Sep 20, 2011 Sue Palmer rated it it was amazing
This is a very different novella to anything i have ever read.It is excellently written and very well put together.

Set within a gym in California this story is an insight of life seen through the eyes of a new member, Abuelo ‘the grandfather’, who, along with the exuberant Rhonda, is the main character and narrator.
The novella is light hearted, entertaining and often hilarious with a touch of sexual content which is fitting to the storyline. However , as the plot and characters unfold there is
Helmy Kusuma
Sep 25, 2011 Helmy Kusuma rated it it was amazing
Alex 'Abuelo' Canton once again breaks the partition between genres and shakes the rigid definition of 'fiction'.

This novella, or story, is very refreshing and is a page turner! The plot is light; the characters are sufficiently depicted; the ending is sweet.

Well done! Keep 'em coming!
Ilani K.wise
Ilani K.wise marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Danielle Watkins
Danielle Watkins rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2013
LLona Cunningham
LLona Cunningham marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Greta Burroughs
Greta Burroughs rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2011
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2011