Start by marking “The Last Gasp: The Rise and Fall of the American Gas Chamber” as Want to Read:
The Last Gasp: The Rise and Fall of the American Gas Chamber

The Last Gasp: The Rise and Fall of the American Gas Chamber

The Last Gasp takes us to the dark side of human history in the first full chronicle of the gas chamber in the United States. In page-turning detail, award-winning writer Scott Christianson tells a dreadful story that is full of surprising and provocative new findings. First constructed in Nevada in 1924, the gas chamber, a method of killing sealed off and removed from the ...more
Published July 26th 2011 by University of California Press (first published June 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Gasp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Gasp

GT
Aug 14, 2014 GT rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An obviously gruesome topic, thoroughly researched and exhaustively documented, I found it on the whole both interesting and uneven. The author goes to great lengths to describe opposing viewpoints on the use of cyanide gas as a 'humane' way of executing condemned US death row prisoners. I think this topic is treated fairly, and understand the arc of reasoning that occurred in the US from the time of firing squads, hangings, and electrocution, to the end of the 20th century. The author though ma ...more
Amy
“The earliest gas chamber for execution purposes was constructed in the Nevada State Penitentiary at Carson City and first employed on February 8, 1924 . . . the first execution by gas arose as a byproduct of chemical warfare research conducted by the U. S. Army’s Chemical Warfare Service and the chemical industry during the First World War . . .”

From the advantage of current access to court cases and other documents, Scott Christianson has compiled a weighty tome devoted to the history of the
Jerry Smith
Apr 24, 2012 Jerry Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2012-read
A valuable contribution to the debate on capital punishment. Puts the use of the gas chamber as a means of execution into it's historical context and it's not a pretty story.

It's a speicialist subject no doubt but I had never realized the links with Eugenics and also the holocaust. Sometimes these are little stretched to be honest, but they do make the context of the gas chamber a more thought provoking read.

It's clear that such executions are not humane despite that being the rationale behind t
Shawna
Sep 11, 2015 Shawna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very dry. I tried to read it once before and got stymied, and this time I basically read the chapters that were about the gas chamber executions of individuals that I was familiar with, Bonnie Heady, Carl Hall, Caryl Chessman, Barbara Graham, Robert Alton Harris, Leandress Riley, and so forth.

This would definitely be a great resource for someone working on a research paper/thesis about capital punishment.
Ashley
Nov 22, 2015 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#
NC
Own in hardback.

FS: "The huge literature about the Holocaust has assumed that, in the words of one leading historian, The creation of the gas chamber was a unique invention of Nazi Germany."

LS: "But its awful legacy will continue for a long time to come."
Brandon Pollock
Jan 01, 2017 Brandon Pollock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book! It is very dry, and I read it over the course of a week or two on and off because it is so dry. However, since I took my time and did not rush the read, I really enjoyed what Scott has to share with us.
Kay Cee
The author states that he was not going into the sociological aspects of the gas chamber, but its inclusion might have made the book a bit more interesting. Still, it was a good read on the history of the gas chamber as a capital punishment if not a bit dry.
Alex Raines
Jun 15, 2012 Alex Raines marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, science
It was okay, but not well-written in spots. Large spots.
Grayson
Grayson rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Raymond Shields
Raymond Shields rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
Pavel
Pavel rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2012
Charmaine
Charmaine rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2016
Snarl
Snarl rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Kady Sykora
Kady Sykora rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
MissAnnThropy
MissAnnThropy rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Chip Rowe
Chip Rowe rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2011
Ximena Brum
Ximena Brum rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Abner
Abner rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2011
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Liz Breazeale
Liz Breazeale rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Kyle
Kyle rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Cara
Cara rated it liked it
May 10, 2011
James
James rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2011
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012